Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
A train from Venice to Rome is €100 and takes four hours on the high speed or €50 and 8 hours on the normal train.

Edit:
Amtrak from SF to LA is $50 and takes 11 - 14 hours :laffo:

FlapYoJacks has issued a correction as of 05:14 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

FlapYoJacks posted:

A train from Venice to Rome is €100 and takes four hours on the high speed or €50 and 8 hours on the normal train.

Edit:
Amtrak from SF to LA is $50 and takes 11 - 14 hours :laffo:

high speed rail from shenzhen to beijing is 1000 RMB (about $150) and takes 8 and a half hours. thats about the same distance as miami to boston lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
tbf the cost of the train is only half the problem

it's also that driving is extremely subsidized and incentivized, to the point where anyone who isn't driving some sub-30mpg behemoth can drive almost anywhere for dirt cheap, even with "high" gas prices

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

fart simpson posted:

high speed rail from shenzhen to beijing is 1000 RMB (about $150) and takes 8 and a half hours. thats about the same distance as miami to boston lol

America truly is a shithole country.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

fart simpson posted:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

tbf the cost of the train is only half the problem

it's also that driving is extremely subsidized and incentivized, to the point where anyone who isn't driving some sub-30mpg behemoth can drive almost anywhere for dirt cheap, even with "high" gas prices
flying too is also heavily massively subsidized. there's a reason why it's only like $50 to fly from SF to Las Vegas

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
You are not catching me riding a domestic flight under 2 hours long. I would rather drive 10 hours than go through the hell that is american domestic air travel

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shipon posted:

You are not catching me riding a domestic flight under 2 hours long. I would rather drive 10 hours than go through the hell that is american domestic air travel

Seattle is the worst for international arrivals. The loving worst. Get off plane -> 10 minute walk -> Pick up your luggage -> customs -> TSA again -> Drop your luggage off again -> Get on your connection.

Why the gently caress do you have to pick up your luggage? Or go through TSA? You’ve already been through the security in the country you are coming from! I don’t recall ever having to do that at any other airport but SEA.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shipon posted:

lots of people don't mind it. theres guys who fly out that way every other week to spend a weekend gambling or supercommute from LA to SF on planes

as lovely as it is, you can just tell yourself it's only like an hour of air-time and it's so ridiculously cheap and saves a lot of driving-time that loads of people do it

although there's been something sick and perverse about american airport since 2020 -- just all burgeroids extremely mad, permanently melting down, main character and super self-entitlement syndromes, and hefty school-shooter vibes writ large. a dark cloudy mental sickness taken over like The Color Out of Space or lovecraftian novel

granted, it was never what I'd call "pleasant" but it used to be a little more tranquil and just collective shrugging getting through the day with some baseline level of acknowledged-comraderic courtesy that air travel involve

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:45 on Apr 15, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FlapYoJacks posted:

Seattle is the worst for international arrivals. The loving worst. Get off plane -> 10 minute walk -> Pick up your luggage -> customs -> TSA again -> Drop your luggage off again -> Get on your connection.

Why the gently caress do you have to pick up your luggage? Or go through TSA? You’ve already been through the security in the country you are coming from! I don’t recall ever having to do that at any other airport but SEA.

lol wtf when I travelled from Manila to Pune I had two connecting flights, first at Hong Kong and another at New Delhi, and I never had to interact with my luggage after dropping it off at Manila and it arrived at my last destination just fine.

this plus all the horror stories of missing luggage during the 2022 holidays makes me really question traveling in/across America

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

FlapYoJacks posted:

It's really bad, especially the drop-off area. Nightmare going there at all.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
one of the joys of being a dude is that you can fit at least 2-3 weeks into a carryon and lol if I trust any dipshit American airline to not lose my bag; I’m within reaching distance of my stuff at all times.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Abner Assington posted:

one of the joys of being a dude is that you can fit at least 2-3 weeks into a carryon and lol if I trust any dipshit American airline to not lose my bag; I’m within reaching distance of my stuff at all times.
yeah checked baggage is for rubes or direct-flight only. ive been carry-on only for 15 years and works well, i just budget buying a few additional clothes from H&M/Uniqlo/whatever cheap fashion store is there and/or maybe spending an hour at one of those combination laundry-coffee shops

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
What is the best Medicare supplemental plan and which is the scam?

It’s been mentioned here before and I was trying to understand what coverage my parents have so I can recommend a change.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Abner Assington posted:

:smug::hf::smug:

My standard equipment:

- Satchel over the left shoulder with a switch, iPad, laptop, laptop charger, international charging brick, and a cord organizer
- Carry on leather duffel bag on the right shoulder with up to three weeks of clothes.
- Passport and important documents in a RFID blocking pouch around my neck and under the shirt. I don’t care if it’s goofy looking I’m not risking having them stolen.
- Phone has a case that doubles as a wallet that’s in the front pocket at all times.

Heck, you can have your clothes laundered at a hotel for cheaper than the cost of checked luggage these days.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol wtf when I travelled from Manila to Pune I had two connecting flights, first at Hong Kong and another at New Delhi, and I never had to interact with my luggage after dropping it off at Manila and it arrived at my last destination just fine.

this plus all the horror stories of missing luggage during the 2022 holidays makes me really question traveling in/across America

I should be clear: American airports are all different levels of bad, but SEA is really REALLY bad. At O’hare it’s the standard: Off the plane -> customs -> get on your connecting flight.

err posted:

It's really bad, especially the drop-off area. Nightmare going there at all.

Why the gently caress are the bathrooms so far away from arrivals?! :argh:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Glumwheels posted:

What is the best Medicare supplemental plan and which is the scam?

It’s been mentioned here before and I was trying to understand what coverage my parents have so I can recommend a change.
all medicare "advantage" are scams, avoid those and keep OG medicare

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Xaris posted:

yeah checked baggage is for rubes or direct-flight only. ive been carry-on only for 15 years and works well, i just budget buying a few additional clothes from H&M/Uniqlo/whatever cheap fashion store is there and/or maybe spending an hour at one of those combination laundry-coffee shops

its also, unfortunately, for ppl going on a multi week international flight where when you arrive in boston they say oops sorry, we forgot to put your checked luggage on the airplan when you transferred in san francisco even tho u literally rechecked it and handed it to an airline employee in san fran

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/shagbark_hick/status/1779587283831685485

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/BradCLemley/status/1779617779785842764

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

FlapYoJacks posted:

For comparison:

A train from Amsterdam central to Paris Central is €150 round trip.
A train from Amsterdam to The Hague is €16 round trip.
A tram around Amsterdam is around €1,50

Sending the billionaires to the Hague at that low of a price sounds like a steal tbh

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

has the automobile industry considered petitioning for a luxury tax for using a passenger train

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

wino erasure

palindrome has issued a correction as of 11:51 on Apr 15, 2024

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

:smug::hf::smug:

My standard equipment:

- Satchel over the left shoulder with a switch, iPad, laptop, laptop charger, international charging brick, and a cord organizer
- Carry on leather duffel bag on the right shoulder with up to three weeks of clothes.
- Passport and important documents in a RFID blocking pouch around my neck and under the shirt. I don’t care if it’s goofy looking I’m not risking having them stolen.
- Phone has a case that doubles as a wallet that’s in the front pocket at all times.

Heck, you can have your clothes laundered at a hotel for cheaper than the cost of checked luggage these days.

nah most hotels will launder your clothes but charge you individually for each item (one i stayed at wanted to charge for each sock lol)

but yeah just don’t be precious, just go to the local laundromat

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
shower with your clothes, hang it on the rod, blow fan on it. laundry

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

nah most hotels will launder your clothes but charge you individually for each item (one i stayed at wanted to charge for each sock lol)

but yeah just don’t be precious, just go to the local laundromat

I did this once. It was silly expensive and they lost a bunch of stuff.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Xaris posted:

although there's been something sick and perverse about american airport since 2020 -- just all burgeroids extremely mad, permanently melting down, main character and super self-entitlement syndromes, and hefty school-shooter vibes writ large. a dark cloudy mental sickness taken over like The Color Out of Space or lovecraftian novel

granted, it was never what I'd call "pleasant" but it used to be a little more tranquil and just collective shrugging getting through the day with some baseline level of acknowledged-comraderic courtesy that air travel involve

It’s emblematic of the antisocial tendencies that have run rife since Trump/covid/rise in general public talking to each other online.

It’s just the airport is a force multiplier. It’s one of the few major institutions that is specifically NOT run for its Customer Experience. It’s unapologetically overpriced. It has objectively gotten horrible in a generations time.

But most importantly, it is the only real melting pot left in America. Unless you are super wealthy, CHUDS are going to stand in line with a bunch of people they feel they’re inherently better than. And it doesn’t matter how many mortgage sized truck payments or underwater housing units or how many promotions their dad has given them. They’re gonna have to stand next to a black person and wait for a brown woman to say they can fly.

Plus, the actual wealthy abandoned airports some time ago, so the lunpenproles also get reminded that past the lifted truck and Cabelas sweatshirt they’re way closer to the bottom than they are to the top.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/PaulSkallas/status/1779598081073311863

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Thanks, I hate it.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

congrats to Flapyojacks

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

FlapYoJacks posted:

That and Kale or Avocado toast.

Edit: Trying to pin Avocado toast as some millennial boujie delicacy was the dumbest poo poo. At the time avocados were incredibly cheap, like $.25 each. Avocado toast was less than $.50 and even to this day is extremely cheap.

I think it was ascribed to people who order it in restaurants where I’ve legit seen it 8-10 dollars, and that’s in LA where sourcing avocados isn’t a problem at all.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

RealityWarCriminal posted:

congrats to Flapyojacks

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

fart simpson posted:

I took a train from Beijing to Shenzhen in 2002 and it was overnight . in 22 years passenger rail in the USA ain’t gonna change much.

sonatinas has issued a correction as of 12:37 on Apr 15, 2024

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

skooma512 posted:

I think it was ascribed to people who order it in restaurants where I’ve legit seen it 8-10 dollars, and that’s in LA where sourcing avocados isn’t a problem at all.

id do this at hotel breakfast on business trips (pre covid). wasting company money rules

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

TIL time zones are a thing

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

most EU countries have axed their so-called Golden Passport programs in the past 3 years (or are in the process), as it contributed to hypergentrification. Malta still has it though

Italy and Greece have golden visas starting at €500k

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Been getting this guy on TikTok recently and he's right that Goodwill and most other secondhand shops have gone bananas with their pricing on things most people wouldn't even take for free. I used to do a lot of shopping at stores like this but ever since people have discovered the game of flipping "vintage" poo poo on Etsy for huge markups pretty much all of these shops have gotten wise and adjusted their prices accordingly.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7345630381833522475

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FlapYoJacks posted:

That and Kale or Avocado toast.

Edit: Trying to pin Avocado toast as some millennial boujie delicacy was the dumbest poo poo. At the time avocados were incredibly cheap, like $.25 each. Avocado toast was less than $.50 and even to this day is extremely cheap.

the crime, as always, is Not Doing What The Boomers Did. in this case, not eating tasteless, boiled, canned veggies. :qq:YOU THINK YOURE BETTER THAN ME??:qq:

I’ve told this here before but my mom was legit upset at renaming Aunt Jemima. “Her family loved it and they’re killing the brands we love!!:qq:

it’s all so loving stupid.