Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Because they come from a downward slope that makes them harder to hit or even see from a distance before they're right on top of you with their instant death flamethrower. Stop being bad or go to a lower difficulty. I've done these missions with people below level 20 plenty of times. I suggest shooting at the enemies.
Yeah but they're all permanently marked and stunned by EMS mortars so how could they possibly kill you? Doesn't make sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
If being able to see things from a longer sight line doesn't make sense to you I don't know what I can say to help.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
If you're having trouble with the regular defense I would suggest changing up your strategems and shooting the enemies, or dropping down a level of difficulty.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Fishstick posted:

If you're having trouble with the regular defense I would suggest changing up your strategems and shooting the enemies, or dropping down a level of difficulty.

You got it! Regulars I die once when we're at like 80% then we win, evac I never die at all and it's a cakewalk.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

You got it! Regulars I die once when we're at like 80% then we win, evac I never die at all and it's a cakewalk.
shame there's no defend missions up at the moment, I'd love to see some recorded gameplay of you on a 7+ with a PUG doing scientist extraction.

edit: without 3 people drawing aggro away from the extract area, I mean. Truly sticking it out in the most democratic of manners in the entirely unfortified compound with point blank tank/hulk drops.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mine daily lmao

Minefields do have some decent potential if you drop them right in the middle of a crowded bug nest that hasn't been alerted yet. The silly bugs will all move to attack the mine-thrower pod, and wind up surrounded by mines. Mine detonations can even destroy bug holes, possibly???? although they still have to be stepped on or shot

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 15, 2024

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Sestze posted:

shame there's no defend missions up at the moment, I'd love to see some recorded gameplay of you on a 7+ with a PUG doing scientist extraction.

edit: without 3 people drawing aggro away from the extract area, I mean. Truly sticking it out in the most democratic of manners in the entirely unfortified compound with point blank tank/hulk drops.

I know I've been responding like a dick but honestly me and my friend did one on 8 with a level 6 and 12 the other day. The level 6 took both the stalwart and medium machine gun and we just laughed at their choices. It was easy. My friend thought they were very difficult too until he found out they weren't and he's pretty good at this game, maybe better than I am.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

I know I've been responding like a dick but honestly me and my friend did one on 8 with a level 6 and 12 the other day. The level 6 took both the stalwart and medium machine gun and we just laughed at their choices. It was easy. My friend thought they were very difficult too until he found out they weren't and he's pretty good at this game, maybe better than I am.
oh I absolutely believe you that the individual single success you experienced trumps the median experience everyone else has had where the map floods with brick shithouse enemies that instantly kill you or ragdoll you.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Sestze posted:

oh I absolutely believe you that the individual single success you experienced trumps the median experience everyone else has had where the map floods with brick shithouse enemies that instantly kill you or ragdoll you.

Lol bring a more appropriate loadout then. This is why I don't play games with goons, you're almost all bad but manage to foster an insular community that accepts that bad as the meta.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Higher difficulty missions are fun except for that one mission type. But sadly you have to finish the pack to get the goods. Kind of.

I’ve just done a few solo 4’s or whatever to get the requirement and jump to other planets and play higher there

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Lol bring a more appropriate loadout then. This is why I don't play games with goons, you're almost all bad but manage to foster an insular community that accepts that bad as the meta.

cool

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

You’re a treasonous dog

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Didn't you just say you carried a guy who brought the stalwart and mg? What could goons be bringing that is significantly worse than that???

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Darox posted:

Didn't you just say you carried a guy who brought the stalwart and mg? What could goons be bringing that is significantly worse than that???

Quasar cannon :ssh:

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

alright, i'll up the ante to "i think you suck at the game as well as at posting."

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

played with this loadout and switched between ac turret, gatling turret and orbital laser as my last strategem. (edit: also used the submachine pistol rather than the dagger due to the spinup time)

this setup is pretty good. only thing i will say is when you're playing at 7+ and the game gives the bugs that huge wave of creatures this setup is weaker than the grenade launcher. when there aren't as many bugs, the arc controls the heavier creatures (and also the weaker ones that group up with them) while the laser dog sweeps the weaker bugs. however if the laser dog gets overwhelmed its much easier for the hunters to leap or attack from behind. with a grenade launcher its way easier to get rid of the weaker grouped bugs. arc is just too slow against the mass wave.

i still really like this setup since it lets you lone wolf a little better without having to worry about stealing a resupply wave.

and obviously this all depends on what your teammates have as well but personally for me the setup is good but weak against waves of heavies or waves of smaller bugs.

that is what i love about this game. there is no "perfect" setup that covers everything they throw at you. there will always be a enemy type or amount that will be difficult for your loadout to handle short of running really far away.

thats strange that you were having difficulties with hordes, thats where this loadout excels for me. arc has endless uptime and as long as you prioritize targets and get set up with clear sight lines, you should be able to hold out indefinitely against anything lighter than chargers, tho i do get swarmed by the occasional jumping bugs which is what the dagger is for dealing with

its true that grenade launcher would be better at clearing groups, but it will run out of ammo quickly, and the eruptor has a surprisingly large aoe and does similar work as a grenade launcher for stuff thats outside of arc range. Stun grenades can also be used to give yourself some more breathing room

i do use eagle napalms religiously on bug breaches. That does help a ton with thinning sudden hordes. I also have the arc upgrade that lets it jump to an additional target, but i was using this loadout before that upgrade and still doing fine

it can be an awkward loadout since nearly all your weapons require proper positioning to not have them backfire. If you get ambushed or caught in a chaotic scramble with your teammates running around in arc range, then ya that will not end well

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
They had no idea what they were doing, many time in my experience across several mmos and fps games goons think they do but they're wrong.

quote:

alright, i'll up the ante to "i think you suck at the game as well as at posting."

Nice edit coward.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Personally I'm really excited for the reveal of this super build that lets you easily clear D9 scientist extracts, I bet it's totally unique and definitely not a factory-standard AC loadout.

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Quasar cannon :ssh:
drat, you got me.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

They had no idea what they were doing, many time in my experience across several mmos and fps games goons think they do but they're wrong.

Nice edit coward.
no, that's unedited. i think you're being weirdly aggressive about a video game on the internet. You suck at posting and should leave.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I hate all the guns that don't let you aim them in third person and still don't understand why that's even a goddamn mechanic. And it would at most be mildly frustrating if there was a way to just have those guns go first person, but no, you can either toggle all guns as first person or all guns as third, and if you use those guns you're basically forced to use your guns that work fine in third person in first person and it loving sucks.

Such a weird design decision.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Hulks should be easily killed, they're two shots to the eye with an autocannon or amr. There's two different kinds of tanks. The shredder can be easily taken out with grenades or an auto cannon. Heavy tanks are a little tougher but don't really move so are prime targets for the eagle rocket pods that suck at everything but taking out tanks, fabricators and turrets. The normal defend is way more nuts, I feel. On the extract civilians most of us make it to the pelican, not so much on the default type, although that's not hard to actually rack up the kills to finish the mission either. This is against bots.

Yes its all easy when you 1v1 them
The mission doesn't let you since it's the only one where bots use combined arms.

It's bullshit mission since unless you come full tryhard with very specific loadout, only then it's doable.

We're all not level whatever with all the specific stuff unlocked.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Because they come from a downward slope that makes them harder to hit or even see from a distance before they're right on top of you with their instant death flamethrower. Stop being bad or go to a lower difficulty. I've done these missions with people below level 20 plenty of times. I suggest shooting at the enemies.

Come from a downward slope? This is the exterminate mission that starts you ontop of a hill doesnt it?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

I hate all the guns that don't let you aim them in third person and still don't understand why that's even a goddamn mechanic. And it would at most be mildly frustrating if there was a way to just have those guns go first person, but no, you can either toggle all guns as first person or all guns as third, and if you use those guns you're basically forced to use your guns that work fine in third person in first person and it loving sucks.

There is a setting in options that makes first/third person aiming weapon specific, but it's still dumb that every time you pick up a new AMR or whatever you have to toggle it to fps mode. There's no good reason for the AMR and heavy machine gun to not have regular third person crosshairs.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

GlyphGryph posted:

The weird part is so many of the first-person-scope-only guns have wonky or broken scopes! Why does it take so long for the erupter to scope in? Why is the AMR sight STILL misaligned? Why is the aim mode switch still so wonky where it only remembers your preference sometimes? etc.

Then there's the fun bugs when you do "too much" during first person aim until the camera straight up says "nah, I'm outtie":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS8QV4iNGXc

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The AMR I kind of get because it's a sniper rifle and there's video game precedent for sniper rifles to not have crosshairs. The HMG not having one is extremely strange though I agree

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

:confused:

It is still a pain in the rear end how the game doesn't remember between sessions, or even between guns. If you bring an AMR or HMG it will always start out with over-the-shoulder aim. If you toggle it to ADS and later die or pick up a different gun, it'll go back to shoulder aim again.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Darox posted:

What could goons be bringing that is significantly worse than that???

This isn’t what you are talking about but after someone took aim and executed me “for the lulz” at extract then it maybe it wouldn’t hurt for everyone to diversify their squads with other people. Mic’d Conversations can sound like you are talking to Comic Book Guy and doing that all day vs just Affirmative / Negative / Emote can get draining.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Given you have to unlock every difficulty level one by one for public matchmaking, a low level pubbie that appears in a high difficulty match probably knows what they are doing.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
This is a weird complaint, but as much as I love the Scorcher (it really is amazing) I just can't handle the constant clicking with it :smith:.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Take a breath, you’re too old to be mad about games, especially co-op ones. If you don’t like playing with goons, cool, I don’t either for the most part. But live and let live and poo poo, it’s not worth being lovely over.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Fangz posted:

Given you have to unlock every difficulty level one by one for public matchmaking, a low level pubbie that appears in a high difficulty match probably knows what they are doing.

you can bring your friends to higher difficulty levels

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Fangz posted:

Your difficulty doesn’t show up when it’s a friends game you can join on the map. I posted a pic of a lvl 11 guy that joined our Helldive. My map icon showed up to them as green after someone rage quit the geological survey so they just clicked on it. They didn’t know but they were willing to listen and we made it out.

Unique circumstance but in a game this big there are probably some people that got dragged into higher difficulties accidentally.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I do bot7 scientist missions without cheesing it (3 out, 1 in), so I'm confused by the vitriol?

Quasars made it a lot easier, just have people shooting down dropships, EMS mortars to pin what pops out, and have people actively running around hitting the buttons as soon as they pop.

The mission sucks, but it's doable with randos.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Darox posted:

There is a setting in options that makes first/third person aiming weapon specific, but it's still dumb that every time you pick up a new AMR or whatever you have to toggle it to fps mode. There's no good reason for the AMR and heavy machine gun to not have regular third person crosshairs.

it's really satisfying to hip fire the AMR and delete a trash robot though

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Basic Chunnel posted:

If you’re on Steam, Microsoft removed their discrete status in Steam Input, so if you want to use them as anything other than the face buttons, you have to load an old firmware version onto the controller, from before Microsoft killed the functionality

Haha loving why

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Ravendas posted:

I do bot7 scientist missions without cheesing it (3 out, 1 in), so I'm confused by the vitriol?

Quasars made it a lot easier, just have people shooting down dropships, EMS mortars to pin what pops out, and have people actively running around hitting the buttons as soon as they pop.

The mission sucks, but it's doable with randos.
I want to say there's something like 4x more hulks (or tanks, if you roll a mission with high tank density instead) in helldive difficulty compared to suicide, so it's a lot easier to eventually get overrun through sheer volume and once you lose the middle retaking it is a difficult task. It's not impossible but it is significantly harder than any other mission type.

It doesn't help that bot enemy groupings aren't as obvious as bug groupings. For bugs you either get bile spewers or you don't and things are significantly harder/easier based on that. With bots for example you can get melee focused missions with lots of jetpack guys/berserkers or jetpacks can be totally absent, but the nastiest one is when you get increased hulk/devastator spawns. It's certainly a lot more dangerous than tank-heavy missons.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Played a game on 8 where three gunship towers spawned near each other. Looked like I was the only one to bring an appropriate weapon, so I sat on top of a hill and shot down all the gunships with a laser cannon with the intention of clearing the way for the rest of the team. Nah, they died repeatedly to spawns of devastators and quit. Oh well. The last fellow on the team thought the laser cannon worked pretty good though, so maybe there's one more person out there bringing a more appropriate weapon than yet another quasar

Seriously there's too many of these things and people keep running into trouble with devastators. Killing dropships is spectacular but I don't think it's as useful as people believe, and there's better ways to kill hulks too?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Another thing that is tough about the scientist evac on high difficulties is they tease you with there being a ton of samples around the map, but lol, just lol if you want to have anyone go for em

I've seen it work exactly twice (one of those was one of the times where someone cheeses it by running in and doing it with smoke while everyone else just makes noise around the map)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

nothing like having to wait an extra 8 minutes because an ion storm cancelled the evac terminal

Crimsica might be worse than Hellmire or Menkent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

I mean, when i see noone else has taken an anti tank weapon, I'll take my recoilless rifle, and you better bloody believe I'm gonna shoot some dropships because there's a huge explosion and it rules, i just don't think we need three players doing that