Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i think the text editor/IDE barrier probably is less about code editing features and more about "do you launch your application, tests, and debugger in the editor, do you use the editor's git support," etc etc

in terms of editing features, there's no reason that vscode can't be on par with any IDE if you just had a good enough LSP. like, there are zero editing features in webstorm that aren't present in vscode's typescript support

in terms of those other things i mentioned... vscode does those ok but not really as well, IME. i don't really know anyone who's gone all-in on VSCode for things like that, but maybe I'm just a luddite for still launching my dev servers and tests through the command line. I did switch full-time to using the VSCode terminal and that's been fine, no reason to use a separate terminal app anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

leper khan posted:

modern actual vim is better than neovim

okay-- does this have anything to do with vimscript (or other scripting languages, if usable in vim)?

Plorkyeran posted:

i agree, but i do wonder how long it'll stay true with bram gone

so actual vim started playing catchup because of neovim and then got ahead of neovim?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

its very easy to set up plugins in vim now compared to how it used to be, they introduced that in vim 8

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

prisoner of waffles posted:

so actual vim started playing catchup because of neovim and then got ahead of neovim?

neovim solved a bunch of unambiguous actual problems in vim, but also just sorta changed a bunch of things and isn't just a drop-in better vim replacement. vim 8 then fixed most of the same problems but in sorta different ways, leaving neovim as more of vim-but-different than vim-with-improvements. neovim is architecturally better, but the actual benefits of that are still potential benefits. for example, neovim should enable writing a much better gui text editor with vim editing, but in practice the neovim guis that exist are worse than macvim.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
neovim is fully embeddable unlike vim. you can use vscode with neovim as the editor instead of a “vim key emulator” that you frequently find.

that said, I stopped using it a while ago because of some weird occasional issues that weren’t worth it at the time. might be better now I should try it again

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Plorkyeran posted:

neovim solved a bunch of unambiguous actual problems in vim, but also just sorta changed a bunch of things and isn't just a drop-in better vim replacement. vim 8 then fixed most of the same problems but in sorta different ways, leaving neovim as more of vim-but-different than vim-with-improvements. neovim is architecturally better, but the actual benefits of that are still potential benefits. for example, neovim should enable writing a much better gui text editor with vim editing, but in practice the neovim guis that exist are worse than macvim.

vim8 also added some nice features that dont exist in neovim, i think `:terminal` is one of these unless neovim since added it

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
theres also some features i think they dropped amd never added. like xxd and encrypted buffers

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
interesting that neovim plug-ins can operate via msgpack RPC and events, whether that’s coming from a child process’ stdin&stdout, a socket, or whatever. makes a bunch of sense, even if it sorta defies my common sense about what a “plugin” is.

makes me feel like learning the lua scripting interface is marginally preferable

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

prisoner of waffles posted:

even if it sorta defies my common sense about what a “plugin” is.

yeah, everybody knows plugins are supposed to be out-of-process COM objects

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

pseudorandom name posted:

yeah, everybody knows plugins are supposed to be out-of-process COM objects

that seems congruent with my offhand definition of plugins, “some lovely interface that seems to be aping bad desktop software extensibility of the mid-90s Microsoft ecosystem”

I never had to work with COM when it was a big deal and based on how other people describe it, I thank my lucky stars

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

leper khan posted:

vim8 also added some nice features that dont exist in neovim, i think `:terminal` is one of these unless neovim since added it

you're looking for this plugin
https://github.com/akinsho/toggleterm.nvim

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

lua for config and plugins in neovim is super nice. its a pain to figure out what plugins you need and setting up things like LSP or DAP can be pretty complicated. this is a good starting point if you aren't familiar
https://github.com/nvim-lua/kickstart.nvim

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

leper khan posted:

neovim has :terminal now but it's not quite the same thing

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
i had an embarassingly large .vimrc that i continued using after moving to neovim and i just don't feel like changing everything to lua :effort:

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
TIL about NestedText so now you have to too: https://nestedtext.org/

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

minidracula posted:

ill stick to xml thanks

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

minidracula posted:

seems bad.

just use toml at this level of complexity.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
there’s already a standard for that sort of thing in X.500 and X.400 though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rude and hurtful, imo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
it’s not like I suggested mork

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

!!

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

minidracula posted:

quote:

Authors: Ken & Kale Kundert

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

i like the design but punting on providing a standardised schema definition language is lame

it seems slightly nicer than toml, but not enough to give up on toml's libraries. and in turn i rarely use toml because I'd rather have access to the xml/json libraries

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 11, 2024

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

it’s not like I suggested mork

parens full of

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

hell no

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NihilCredo posted:

i like the design but punting on providing a standardised schema definition language is lame

it seems slightly nicer than toml, but not enough to give up on toml's libraries. and in turn i rarely use toml because I'd rather have access to the xml/json libraries

serde and transcend format choice

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Subjunctive posted:

serde and transcend format choice

only the most trivial stuff is format independent in serde; targeting multiple formats with the same complex structure is a non-goal

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Ralith posted:

only the most trivial stuff is format independent in serde; targeting multiple formats with the same complex structure is a non-goal

targeting multiple formats with the same complex structure would be an own-goal

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ralith posted:

sounds like someone hasn’t transcended

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Subjunctive posted:

sounds like someone hasn’t transcended

*transerded

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
dump memory to disk, load memory from disk. it's a solved problem; we've been over this. hell, just file-map the entire memory space, executable and all, and pass that around. i think that's called a container or something these days

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

dump memory to disk, load memory from disk. it's a solved problem; we've been over this. hell, just file-map the entire memory space, executable and all, and pass that around. i think that's called a container or something these days

$ contain deez nuts
-bash: contain: command not found

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

is it better than pickle though?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Carthag Tuek posted:

$ contain deez nuts
-bash: contain: command not found

odd. your mother had no trouble containing mine last night

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

odd. your mother had no trouble containing mine last night

i have two comebacks, both of which are true:
a: lmao your small nuts
b: ive got a big ol noggin

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Brown PLT Blog posted:

Finding and Fixing Standard Misconceptions About Program Behavior

Posted on 12 April 2024.
A large number of modern languages — from Java and C# to Python and JavaScript to Racket and OCaml — share a common semantic core:

variables are lexically scoped
scope can be nested
evaluation is eager
evaluation is sequential (per “thread”)
variables are mutable, but first-order
structures (e.g., vectors/arrays and objects) are mutable, and first-class
functions can be higher-order, and close over lexical bindings
memory is managed automatically (e.g., garbage collection)
We call this the Standard Model of Languages (SMoL).

SMoL potentially has huge pedagogic benefit:

If students master SMoL, they have a good handle on the core of several of these languages.

Students may find it easier to port their knowledge between languages: instead of being lost in a sea of different syntax, they can find familiar signposts in the common semantic features. This may also make it easier to learn new languages.

The differences between the languages are thrown into sharper contrast.

Students can see that, by going beyond syntax, there are several big semantic ideas that underlie all these languages, many of which we consider “best practices” in programming language design.

We have therefore spent the past four years working on the pedagogy of SMoL:

Finding errors in the understanding of SMoL program behavior.

Finding the (mis)conceptions behind these errors.

Collating these into clean instruments that are easy to deploy.

Building a tutor to help students correct these misconceptions.

Validating all of the above.

We are now ready to present a checkpoint of this effort. We have distilled the essence of this work into a tool:

The SMoL Tutor

Interesting.

https://blog.brownplt.org/2024/04/12/behavior-misconceptions.html

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Thanks, I appreciate the SMoL talk

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I am now working on getting the VAXstation 100 driver for VMS that was released via DECUS in the 1980s building on VMS 5.5-2 instead of only on VMS 4.7

it’s written in a combination of BLISS-32, VAX Pascal, and a little bit of MACRO

BLISS is weird: (almost) everything is a reference and has to be explicitly de-referenced with a leading ., kind of the opposite of C

but like C you can operate on both references and values, so it won’t actually warn about not dereferencing, after all you might want to do result = foo + bar instead of result = .foo + .bar

this also demonstrates another trap: you don’t dereference the target of an assignment, which is why I said “(almost) everything is a reference”

so really, everything is a reference except when it’s not, good luck!

C definitely has the advantage here, at least pointers are explicitly distinguished from integers in the type system even in archaic versions from the 1970s

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
BLISS is one of those languages that I've heard people (mostly the VMS diaspora) lament the death of, claiming it was a better C. I never understood why it was supposed to be better. (Not saying C is good.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Athas posted:

BLISS is one of those languages that I've heard people (mostly the VMS diaspora) lament the death of, claiming it was a better C. I never understood why it was supposed to be better. (Not saying C is good.)

C is good