Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Scientist evac on 8/9 kinda suck. Possible to win but a painful experience. If you’re an SOS player I’d just leave and find a new mission chain if the current group is having issues with regular missions.

Nail Rat posted:

Another thing that is tough about the scientist evac on high difficulties is they tease you with there being a ton of samples around the map, but lol, just lol if you want to have anyone go for em

I've seen it work exactly twice (one of those was one of the times where someone cheeses it by running in and doing it with smoke while everyone else just makes noise around the map)

I’ve done it a few times but in an organized group, not the SOS PUG LYFE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

with the bot planets held, I went to do some bug hunting.

Great fun on a 7 except for I got the mission of INFINITE CHARGERS. literally congo lining me with charger after charger. I killed a charger? more charger came, it was only a 7. I saw all of like 3 bile titans the whole round.

Flamethrower does some great work there, It works even on bile titans but it takes a long time with their enormous hp pool. Pair it with a guard dog of choice and the little guys won't get to you.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Fishstick posted:

Then there's the fun bugs when you do "too much" during first person aim until the camera straight up says "nah, I'm outtie":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS8QV4iNGXc

Oh man, I just had this happen last night, it was so weird. I didn't know if I was dead or what. Finally fixed it by stunning myself with a grenade lol.

Hwurmp posted:

:confused:

It is still a pain in the rear end how the game doesn't remember between sessions, or even between guns. If you bring an AMR or HMG it will always start out with over-the-shoulder aim. If you toggle it to ADS and later die or pick up a different gun, it'll go back to shoulder aim again.

As far as I could tell it was a fake setting that didn't seem to work, but you explain the wonky behaviour at least from when I tried it.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 15, 2024

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
So what's up with Armor? I've been experimenting with heavy and light armor and it seems that most damage sources and situations mean death anyway even if you can take roughly 3x the damage with a heavy armor.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Does armor still not protect against enemy headshots?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Dyz posted:

you can bring your friends to higher difficulty levels

That's why I specified pubbie.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Does armor still not protect against enemy headshots?

nope, and its dumb as hell!

Also lmao had a "Yeah Im surprised how fast Helldivers got boring to me" friend. Asked how many hours he had - one had 230, other 300 hours

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vic posted:

So what's up with Armor? I've been experimenting with heavy and light armor and it seems that most damage sources and situations mean death anyway even if you can take roughly 3x the damage with a heavy armor.

against bugs yeah but with robots you won't get chipped to death remotely as much

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Also lmao had a "Yeah Im surprised how fast Helldivers got boring to me" friend. Asked how many hours he had - one had 230, other 300 hours

I wish every game I bought gave me 300 hours of entertainment.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Vic posted:

You see a big difference when for example in heavy armor I get slammed by a charger and instead of dying I just get chucked clear of the swarm, stim and start flamethrowing again.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Fangz posted:

That's why I specified pubbie.

pubbies have friends too

Ravendas posted:

I do bot7 scientist missions without cheesing it (3 out, 1 in), so I'm confused by the vitriol?

Quasars made it a lot easier, just have people shooting down dropships, EMS mortars to pin what pops out, and have people actively running around hitting the buttons as soon as they pop.

The mission sucks, but it's doable with randos.

The OP said scientist evac was easier than eradicate at the same difficulty, then started posting like a redditor.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Vic posted:

Dive more, shoot more, break los more. Bots are only accurate if you let them be, and heavy armor lets you get winged by a lot more panic fire before going down.

If you're on bugs it won't really help.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Scientist Evac sucks rear end at 7, I dunno we can get 5* every time on any other mission type but those just feel ridiculous and not fun. I've seen people say kite them around the edge of the map while someone hits all the buttons but it's not like there's ever one central blob of enemies that can be kited and isn't just tanks and hulks and everything everywhere. I will now take my shaming as a filthy casual.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The last extract mission on Menkent I did ended up with there being exactly one small raised platform with one scientist hut on it and zero cover, with the other two on the flat plain just below it. And by small, I mean you could mantle up to it so while it provided cover in one direction it wasn't exactly great. You could be shot from every other direction.

We had mortars, two of each, but they got shot pretty drat quick since again, zero cover and the entire field of play you could be shot from everywhere. Then the flames started up. The dropship rate is more than a Quasar or two can keep up with, and the other solution of "AC their face" is great, but pretty incompatible with a Quasar and made a lot harder by being able to be flinched from every direction.

Its doable but that mission type is so much harder than any other at equivalent difficulty. Consider that at high difficulty the prevailing advice against bots is "hit the bricks" and "dying on a random hill isn't worth it" and that this mission can require you to die on a random hill without cover. Even extermination you can reposition better because you don't have to keep opening the scientist doors.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Dandywalken posted:

The game came out 9 weeks ago. If you have 270 hours you are playing it 30 hours a week, basically treating it like a part time job. That’s incredible.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I don't think there's any argument that the scientist evac missions feel wrong -- almost like the dev-intended approach/solution hasn't been found yet. That's the only reason I can think of for why they're still so overtuned over a month after their introduction, unless the difficulty is an incredibly stubborn bug and not intended :shrug:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Vic posted:

Take any armor you want but against bots bringing the Explosion Resist perk will make your life a lot more liveable. Medium with explosion resist seems like a good in-between, Heavy on less mobile missions (defenses, evacs, etc)

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 15, 2024

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I mean I do tend to bring Heavy+Blast resist when I play with that one friend who brings 380 barrage to every mission.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Whoever said the new priority extraction mission is easy clearly hasn't done it on 7+ yet. Just an endless literal flood of tanks and zerks backed by flame hulks that fry you up real good. Ended up getting pushed back to the generators before we were finally able to block the flow with something like 3+ rockets still to go.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The answer to the new priority extraction mission is everybody bring at least the EMS mortar if not both and just constantly have those things going. Everything gets slowed down outside your base and you can pick em off. It's tough and we do often get pushed back but leaning hard into mortars helps a lot when they only have one chokepoint they have to go through.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
In a mission where you're just staying in one place and fighting, isn't it the case that the enemies aren't going to slow down their arrival rate if you start to fall behind in killing them? Like, more drop ships are coming whether or not you're done with the last group? If that's the case, you could have a very different experience just based on a break point of succeeding or failing to "keeping up".

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
mountain tanks make 7+ extraction missions fun

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Whoever said the new priority extraction mission is easy clearly hasn't done it on 7+ yet. Just an endless literal flood of tanks and zerks backed by flame hulks that fry you up real good. Ended up getting pushed back to the generators before we were finally able to block the flow with something like 3+ rockets still to go.

That one is still fairly easy at high levels given the way the bots are forced to bunch up rendering them very vulnerable to AoEs and limiting their ability to concentrate fire.

Two EMS mortars can pretty solidly lock them down at least once you get to the area where there is only one gate. Autocannon sentries are also great there.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I've done it multiple times at 9 with completely random people and you just sit there while 4 mortars and 4 ems mortars chew up everything that survives getting their dropship blown up by quasars. I don't even know what the lose condition is.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mortar spam def works, but christ is it ever boring. Its pretty necessary at that level though

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Janissary Hop posted:

I've done it multiple times at 9 with completely random people and you just sit there while 4 mortars and 4 ems mortars chew up everything that survives getting their dropship blown up by quasars. I don't even know what the lose condition is.

One of my teammates respawned and mistakenly squashed a generator, and that's how we learned that those keep the rockets coming. When you're minus a generator they take twice as long to launch. We still won but it really dragged rear end towards the end.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I've only done the new base defense mission once, but it was at 7 and it was boring and easy?

The first gate blew up immediately, but we all just parked EMS mortars, autocannon sentries and gatling sentries along the walls. Nothing dropped inside our walls, it was all them marching into the first killzone between gates 1 and 2, getting locked in EMS fields and dying.

Someone had eagles raining down, and when it got a little spicy, throw in a laser orbital.

Edit: I did it on the day where the daily was 'get 200 kills with gatling sentry' or whatever, which is why we had a bunch of those too. Definitely not a standard bot choice.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 15, 2024

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Anyone here ever play the Helms Deep map for Left 4 Dead? THAT'S the defense mission I want for hell divers; multiple distinct phases and sub objectives as you fall back, generally you feel invincible at the beginning, then you scramble to check the momentum once the dam breaks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I am *generally* ok with the fire tornadoes on Big M but the bloom is what did me in. I get it, Arrowhead devs are willing to push the envelope re:bullshit stuff, but literally not being able to see beyond 5m in certain directions is just a bridge too far for me.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Squat Squad checkin' in
https://i.imgur.com/rHBRXrY.mp4

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

this is what peak performance looks like

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Everyone loses on evacuate missions except those that know this one cool trick ⬇️

explosivo posted:

The answer to the new priority extraction mission is everybody bring at least the EMS mortar if not both and just constantly have those things going. Everything gets slowed down outside your base and you can pick em off. It's tough and we do often get pushed back but leaning hard into mortars helps a lot when they only have one chokepoint they have to go through.

Ravenfood posted:

That one is still fairly easy at high levels given the way the bots are forced to bunch up rendering them very vulnerable to AoEs and limiting their ability to concentrate fire.

Two EMS mortars can pretty solidly lock them down at least once you get to the area where there is only one gate. Autocannon sentries are also great there.

Janissary Hop posted:

Dandywalken posted:

Mortar spam def works, but christ is it ever boring. Its pretty necessary at that level though

Ravendas posted:

I've only done the new base defense mission once, but it was at 7 and it was boring and easy?

The first gate blew up immediately, but we all just parked EMS mortars, autocannon sentries and gatling sentries along the walls. Nothing dropped inside our walls, it was all them marching into the first killzone between gates 1 and 2, getting locked in EMS fields and dying.

Someone had eagles raining down, and when it got a little spicy, throw in a laser orbital.

Edit: I did it on the day where the daily was 'get 200 kills with gatling sentry' or whatever, which is why we had a bunch of those too. Definitely not a standard bot choice.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vic posted:

All light armor, all the time. Mobility is life. I've done quite a few bot and bug 9s in my recoil reduction + grenade capacity light armor to date and its a blast.

AtomikKrab posted:

with the bot planets held, I went to do some bug hunting.

Great fun on a 7 except for I got the mission of INFINITE CHARGERS. literally congo lining me with charger after charger. I killed a charger? more charger came, it was only a 7. I saw all of like 3 bile titans the whole round.

Flamethrower does some great work there, It works even on bile titans but it takes a long time with their enormous hp pool. Pair it with a guard dog of choice and the little guys won't get to you.
I've done some bug d7s that were harder than d9s because we got the "all chargers" spawn seed (or however that works). Thankfully 3 of us brought EATs and the other guy had a Quasar, plus a total of 2 Rail Cannon strikes, but good lord was it exhausting.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
The enforcer armor for bots is really nice. Has explosive resist/recoil and sits between medium and heavy in stats.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Fishstick posted:

Then there's the fun bugs when you do "too much" during first person aim until the camera straight up says "nah, I'm outtie":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS8QV4iNGXc

WITH MIND BULLETS

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

All light armor, all the time. Mobility is life. I've done quite a few bot and bug 9s in my recoil reduction + grenade capacity light armor to date and its a blast.

I use a light armor with extra armor value I got from the SuperStore, and it's spectacular.

I started by using it with the personal shield backpack, but honestly I haven't needed it, even on bot missions. I'd rather have an Autocannon for bots, or the laser guard dog for bugs (especially since moving over to the Eruptor as my primary).

I don't think I could go back to medium/heavy armors at this point.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Heavy armor is fine on eradications or rocket defense when you don't really have to move anywhere, but it sucks so bad on regular missions :negative:

literally every training montage where a winded sweaty fat bastard is desperately trying to keep pace with the rest of the group

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
As someone who really wants to like heavy armor I just find myself dying a lot more when I'm wearing it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

WhiteHowler posted:

I don't think I could go back to medium/heavy armors at this point.
I feel so glacial when in medium or heavy. I forgot to swap after doing an eradicate in Heavy once and it was so incredibly miserable.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

As someone who really wants to like heavy armor I just find myself dying a lot more when I'm wearing it.
Thats my experience too. Its so much harder to get away from, say, a flamethrower hulk or dodge a charger, or whatever, when you have 30 pound weights on each ankle.

edit: Not get spewed on or shanked immediately when a Bile Titan gets close.

edit2:\/\/\/\/ yes please. Hopefully if the game continues to be successful they will have the dev resources for it. Right now I bet they're swimming in cash but also scrambling to keep the hose going.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
I know they've said no transmog but goddamn please give us transmog.

At the very least decouple armor and perks so we can pick them independently.