Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

JR’s love for his late wife is very sweet, not so much a fan of his Vince McMahon apologetics. *3/4 rating on cageethics.de

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
edit: eh, i don’t have to do this

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 15, 2024

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

yes you do

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Lamuella posted:

So did I just... make up all the people who were pissed off with JR? because my impression was that the consensus view was that his stance on Vince was really lovely.

i did, with my botnet. you're welcome.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

projecthalaxy posted:

i did, with my botnet. you're welcome.

Look closely, these aren't real people. Who would pay for such a wildly expensive thing?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Deploying an army of bots to convince a sizable amount of the wrestling world that Jean-Pierre Lafitte could have and should have worked

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
How does the WWE draft work? Do those wrestlers only wrestle on the show they are drafted onto? I've seen a number of wrestlers who are supposed to be a specific shows but they appear on the opposite show quite frequently.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Seems like you just answered your own question.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mr Hootington posted:

How does the WWE draft work? Do those wrestlers only wrestle on the show they are drafted onto? I've seen a number of wrestlers who are supposed to be a specific shows but they appear on the opposite show quite frequently.

lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

How does the WWE draft work?

It's bullshit

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Sometimes there's a robot reacting to the drafts

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Then why even do it? Seems like the perfect mechanism to setup/reset storylines or throw unforeseen wrenches in the path of wrestlers.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mr Hootington posted:

Then why even do it?

Indeed.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mr Hootington posted:

Then why even do it?.

Because other sports have drafts

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's not a dig at anyone in particular. I just don't get the mental loops some people here and elsewhere have to jump through when they vociferously hate on WWE and everyone in it, and then at the same time praise ex-Fed wrestlers in AEW who worked there for most of their careers.

It's because I'm an arbitrary bitch who doesn't care what you think duh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Then why even do it? Seems like the perfect mechanism to setup/reset storylines or throw unforeseen wrenches in the path of wrestlers.

It does a good number

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

That's the idea but that's hard so it never actually happens. WWE does a lot of stuff that makes sense to do if you plan ahead and forget to plan ahead

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Do you think WWE would really do that? Do something on TV and then immediately render it meaningless?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

They need a ratings boost* every now and then and nothing gave one quite like that day HHH got drafted away from the main show at the beginning of the show then got traded back to the main show by the end

*This will absolutely be changed to needing "viewership minutes increase" when they're on Netflix instead. Nothing with this company ever really changes beyond the language used

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Everyone wrestles on their own show apart from the four times a year they're allowed to cross over, that is unless they get a Wild Card which lets them do a one-off appearance any time. Although people can be traded throughout the year either for another wrestler, multiple wrestlers or special considerations. Of course all that goes out the window in the run up to Survivor Series, the one time of year wrestlers from across brands fight each other!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

That's the idea but that's hard so it never actually happens. WWE does a lot of stuff that makes sense to do if you plan ahead and forget to plan ahead

Maybe that will change under the HHH booking? Idk how long he has been in control of that.

Rarity posted:

Everyone wrestles on their own show apart from the four times a year they're allowed to cross over, that is unless they get a Wild Card which lets them do a one-off appearance any time. Although people can be traded throughout the year either for another wrestler, multiple wrestlers or special considerations. Of course all that goes out the window in the run up to Survivor Series, the one time of year wrestlers from across brands fight each other!

Ok that makes sense but also lol at all of the carveouts.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok that makes sense

:psyduck:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

His big addition so far has been naming more wrestlers free agents so they can just be on both shows.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

oh man you made me giggle so hard in my office

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

this guy keeps giving me enough rope. and it’s free! so no downside

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Really hoping that the deal with Netflix finally reveals the most salacious, hidden truth about WWE: that Dakota Kai was cake all along.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

the big secret of hgh booking is that the only stuff that has wide praise is the stuff that was already in motion before he took over (bloodline) and even with that when it came time to put the rock into the storyline his best idea was booking cody to win the rumble and then just not challenge roman lol

you could also argue that the bloodline has had heavy paul heyman influence on the booking

gunther gets praised for his matches but Where’s The Story

none of his 20+ rehires are doing anything noteworthy and there have been some absolute stinkers like karrion kross’s new stable already being demoted to nxt

in nxt he coasted off replaying roh / pwg matches, now he’s actually gotta start booking all new stuff for the first time and we will see how it goes

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

so what you're saying is... let him cook?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I wish Sam Shaw had just gone back to TNA. His rehiring tricked me into watching half an episode of Raw and he's done exactly nothing ever since. He's such an easy character to book! He's a slasher villain who can be used for comedy! His stuff with Indi was really fun when I was checking on what I was missing in the years I wasn't watching! Sheesh!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I am just here to see who is hosting the draft

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

keithy george posted:

Similar to when everyone went all in on rape factory banter but when Jim "Head of WWE Talent Relations" Ross asked everyone to stop paying attention it was "Aww shucks good ol JR he's very sleepy".

I received 3 (4?) avs over the course of 2 days for watching Wrestlemania from the evil rape company but when I criticized Jim Ross in the Vince allegation thread it was all "Whoaaaa let's pump the breaks a little!" Amazing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

I received 3 (4?) avs over the course of 2 days for watching Wrestlemania from the evil rape company but when I criticized Jim Ross in the Vince allegation thread it was all "Whoaaaa let's pump the breaks a little!" Amazing.

Until your wife dies from a scooter accident we're not letting you be a weirdo

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

1glitch0 posted:

I don't think Jim Ross has an account on SomethingAwful.com.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

1glitch0 posted:

are you the real victim here

vivazomo
Nov 4, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Maybe that will change under the HHH booking? Idk how long he has been in control of that.

They just made a big deal of Jade Cargill being signed to Smackdown and a week later she had her first ever TV match and it was on Raw. Everyone just does whatever, it's probably worse now than it was under Vince.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
i'm a bot. and so are you.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
They first started doing the draft in 2002 after their acquisitions of WCW and ECW significantly expanded the size of the roster and they had no major external competition left to drive interest and ratings. They were relatively faithful to the concept for a couple of years since Raw and Smackdown had their own specific PPVs, and "interpromotional" matches were actually quite rare for a while, it got watered down over time and by... I want to say 2009, everyone just appeared on any show they wanted. They've flirted with taking it seriously again a few times since, usually to pop a rating and satisfy their host networks, but they usually get bored with it almost immediately and waste everyone's time. It's possible that was all down to Vince being an impatient and senile old man, but somehow I doubt they'll take it seriously ever again.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Some things that started the end of the Draft were the weird year they switched JR and Cole without telling either and the year Cena got drafted twice. At the time I didn't hate either moment as much as the people I knew did but yeah, eventually it just straight up stopped mattering. Though as one of those weirdos who was really into WWECW I remember popping off when they got Mark Henry for some reason.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

i'm a bot. and so are you.

Oh, my favorite Park Chan-wook movie!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Thinking back on it, even the first draft had some strange caveats. At first, the world champion was allowed to appear on both shows to take on all comers, until after Summerslam when they introduced specific world titles for Raw and Smackdown out of nowhere and it didn't seem quite as special any more. Stone Cold Steve Austin was a "free agent" who couldn't be drafted for reasons I can't really remember ever being explained; I presume this was to maintain the possibility of him showing up on both shows since he was probably still the biggest star in the company, but even then he mostly stuck around Raw to feud with Undertaker and Ric Flair for a few months until he walked out over creative disputes. The NWO, consisting of Kevin Nash, Scott Hall and X-Pac, was considered a single entity because, in the storyline, Vince pulled some unspecified shenanigans to ensure they wouldn't get split up; the grouping did not include Hulk Hogan for some reason, in actuality because they wanted to turn him face after he got a big nostalgia reaction at Wrestlemania X8. They only lasted a few months too since Hall got fired and Nash got injured, at which point they pretty much instantly forgot that the WWE version of the NWO was ever a thing.

On the plus side, it was a cool way to announce the upcoming return of someone or underline the future importance of a rising star. Chris Benoit had been out injured for almost a year, so it was cool when he was unexpectedly drafted to Smackdown. Likewise, Flair and Vince fighting over who got to draft Brock Lesnar was a fun way to make him seem like a big deal quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
I’m the only person in the world that thought the WWF champion and womens champion appearing on both shows in 2002 was a good idea. As we have proven with Wrestlemania, two world champions is a lousy idea because one always takes a back seat and is unimportant. It makes perfect sense for the WWF, Womens, and Tag Champs to be on all shows and defend their belts and each show gets its own main champion that’s exclusive, like IC for Raw and US for Smackdown.

It was REALLY stupid in the 2002 draft when the tag titles were exclusive to Smackdown because raw tag teams like the Hardys had nothing to fight for.