Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Probably Magic posted:

I honestly have come around to thinking Biden wins because America has no appetite for change as shown by just copying 2020's match-up and also would never do something as funny as Grover Cleveland Trump. Irrelevant to me, I'm voting Stein either way, and it's a shitshow regardless. But I guarantee I've thought more about what a Biden 2nd term can mean than your average VBNMW. They're all absolutely convinced Trump has already won, they just want an early start on punching left.

I'm not sure which way the election will go, but I have my doubts that brown people being genocided will be enough for a depressingly large number of Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Biden was 100% worse than Trump even before Gaza though based entirely on the fact that liberals refused to call bad things bad. This, more than Trump, has been the Hypernormalization Presidency.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That's right. Trump was the shock to the system, but now that everyone is numb Biden is doing a lot of what Trump was doing anyway.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

mcmagic posted:

I don't think the president has real any ability to control inflation. Trump cut taxes for rich people which is inflationary and prices and interest rates were lower. Biden cut the COVID era safety net and still got higher prices and rates. He does deserve to lose because of Gaza though.
businesses liked trump and wanted him to succeed. i wouldn't be surprised if some prices actually lowered just because he's in office and they want to make him (and republicans) look good. he'll cut you a tax break anyways, so you're still going to make a profit.

also back to the inflation thing: wasn't pressure exerted on the egg industry to drive those prices back down? imagine if he did that to a market that was causing inflation downstream of everything else. like housing and rent

Automata 10 Pack has issued a correction as of 14:46 on Apr 15, 2024

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

look she just cares about ethics in games journalism okay

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I can't find the image; does anyone have the infamous cartoon about propaganda: "Their evil and backwards religion vs our holy and loving religion", etc? In the wake of this Iranian attack I've been thinking about that cartoon a lot.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm not sure which way the election will go, but I have my doubts that brown people being genocided will be enough for a depressingly large number of Americans.

The Arizona abortion ban will have more affect on the outcome of the election than every single dead kid in Gaza.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Probably Magic posted:

I honestly have come around to thinking Biden wins because America has no appetite for change as shown by just copying 2020's match-up and also would never do something as funny as Grover Cleveland Trump. Irrelevant to me, I'm voting Stein either way, and it's a shitshow regardless. But I guarantee I've thought more about what a Biden 2nd term can mean than your average VBNMW. They're all absolutely convinced Trump has already won, they just want an early start on punching left.

It's a genuine race to the bottom. Biden has been god awful and his approval rating sucks. Trump's approval is largely unchanged by contrast and is now consistently higher than Biden's.

But Trump's campaign is kind of a disaster right now, they barely have any money while Biden's having no trouble fundraising. That gap probably narrows closer to the election, but it feels like a coin flip right now.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
also you can combat the greed aspects of inflation through removing the excuses that are driving up costs (like drawing out the Ukraine war for years) and spreading public awareness that the supply lines are fine.

there's a lot you can do to fight this kind of inflation.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
Another big factor here not mentioned is that the Ukraine invasion probably doesn't happen under a Trump 2nd term

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Nichael posted:

for context, witzke's platform in 2020 was being permanently pregnant for each of the six years in office, were she to win the us senate seat

girls rock

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol even for AOC this is idiotic as it’s the currently sitting congress that verifies the results

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol even for AOC this is idiotic as it’s the currently sitting congress that verifies the results

i'm pretty sure it's the incoming congress.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

VoicesCanBe posted:

Another big factor here not mentioned is that the Ukraine invasion probably doesn't happen under a Trump 2nd term

this is always hilarious because it's true but libs are 100% convinced that putler is best buds with trumo and would have instantly invaded

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/1779260614071693678?t=7sRYZoloPzLoT45nMUSWhQ&s=19

Keith please embrace Chen Weihua Thought

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

AOC is a total nonfactor, a back bencher. She was completely marginalized and then Pelosi deranged her. Regardless of her initial intentions, AOC has no future in politics, she'll remain a backbencher her entire career. Forget President, she'll never even win a Senate seat.

Left-liberals banking on her to "save" the country are wasting their time.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I thought it was obvious that "inflation" (price hikes) came as a response to the rate hikes? zirp allowed so many large stock buybacks and you can't ever reduce the rate of profit so when the money hose dried up consumers had to take up the slack.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Harik posted:

this is always hilarious because it's true but libs are 100% convinced that putler is best buds with trumo and would have instantly invaded

It's not only true, it's obviously true if you think about the lead up to the invasion for 10 minutes, as well as the timing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

VoicesCanBe posted:

AOC is a total nonfactor, a back bencher. She was completely marginalized and then Pelosi deranged her. Regardless of her initial intentions, AOC has no future in politics, she'll remain a backbencher her entire career. Forget President, she'll never even win a Senate seat.

Left-liberals banking on her to "save" the country are wasting their time.

Not to reignite the discussion about it, but when it comes to AOC I lean fairly strongly towards 'op' rather than 'naivete about her ability to change the system from within'. Whether she's effective or not, though, AOC got exactly what she wanted from her job: Cadillac health care, a cushy make-work job, and hobnobbing with the elites.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I agree to an extent, but Biden has largely done the impossible and seemingly made a lot of Americans care about foreign policy.

VoicesCanBe posted:

It's a genuine race to the bottom. Biden has been god awful and his approval rating sucks. Trump's approval is largely unchanged by contrast and is now consistently higher than Biden's.

But Trump's campaign is kind of a disaster right now, they barely have any money while Biden's having no trouble fundraising. That gap probably narrows closer to the election, but it feels like a coin flip right now.

The latter scenario is identical to 2016, and once more he gets tons of free media exposure just by being America's dumbest boy.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 15:19 on Apr 15, 2024

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Keith's... right? :confused:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Harik posted:

I thought it was obvious that "inflation" (price hikes) came as a response to the rate hikes? zirp allowed so many large stock buybacks and you can't ever reduce the rate of profit so when the money hose dried up consumers had to take up the slack.

prices rose because there was political cover to do so and the country didn't literally shut down so here's the new norm

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Nichael posted:

I agree to an extent, but Biden has largely done the impossible and seemingly made a lot of Americans care about foreign policy.

The latter scenario is identical to 2016, and once more he gets tons of free media exposure just by being America's dumbest boy.

That's true, his campaign was also a mess in 2016 and it ultimately didn't matter. Because Clinton was so unpopular, kind of like how Biden is now!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Harik posted:

The whole stated point of rate hikes is to discipline labor and drive wages down which is supposed to reduce inflation.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I really hate to say this in 2024, but Keith is right.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Keith Olbermann ftw

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nichael posted:

For some reason my kids just asked if we could go to Delaware, I don't know what kind of youtube garbage they are watching but what should I tell them to dissuade them of this horrible idea?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Let your kids see Delaware they only live once

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

sullat posted:

For some reason my kids just asked if we could go to Delaware, I don't know what kind of youtube garbage they are watching but what should I tell them to dissuade them of this horrible idea?

here's a quote from my climate rights final which sourced heavily from what's the matter with delaware

The twentieth century began with an extremely disturbing act of violence against Wilmington’s Black community, as a large, “well-organized,” “calm,” and “orderly” mob lynched a 24 year-old Black man, George White, and then desecrated his body due to mere suspicion of him. Id. at 137. The visuals of a well dressed and genteel crowd taking part in a horrific act of violence shocked the nation, while Delaware’s power structure was not “concern[ed]” with the barbarism, but instead that bad press from it would embarrass the state. Id. at 140. Mr. White’s lynching was emblematic of the state’s facade of “civility” to cover up a “government by cabal,” that focuses on enriching its own. Id. at 119.

anyway it might be too late for your kids, i'd suggest abortion but it appears president biden banned that

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

sullat posted:

delaware is not real

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

"The seven communities each had a 12% to 33% higher risk of cancer than Greenville (Biden's neighborhood), and a 24% to 71% higher risk of respiratory hazards than Greenville. "

hmm seems like america might be doing a lot of genocides, concerning

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

mcmagic posted:

The whole stated point of rate hikes is to discipline labor and drive wages down which is supposed to reduce inflation.

hows that working out

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

the only thing of real value of my climate rights final was this graphic I made, which I intend to use a lot in the future for whatever dumb rear end endeavors I get into.

when politicians say they need to "understand" the plight of the poor and bipoc through exploratory jerk off committees, I would counter these people can literally just look out their loving window or walk down the street to see their neighbors sometime.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

genocide joe can do plenty more to reduce inflation

he can halt price increases etc see nixon

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Harik posted:

it started before that as companies became accustomed to the ppp money hose. supply chains, covid and war were convenient excuses for what companies wanted to do anyway.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

when Doktor Krieg himself calls you a nazi...

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I can't find the image; does anyone have the infamous cartoon about propaganda: "Their evil and backwards religion vs our holy and loving religion", etc? In the wake of this Iranian attack I've been thinking about that cartoon a lot.

first hit for "our glorious"

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Not to reignite the discussion about it, but when it comes to AOC I lean fairly strongly towards 'op' rather than 'naivete about her ability to change the system from within'. Whether she's effective or not, though, AOC got exactly what she wanted from her job: Cadillac health care, a cushy make-work job, and hobnobbing with the elites.

She's not an op, because if she was she would be being utilized way more to funnel people into traditional party apparatuses.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

sullat posted:

It's funny that he's not complaining that endless taxpayer money is being funneled into war, it's that he's complaining that endless taxpayer money is being funneled into war inefficiently. In this case the Lockmart executives are the good guys!

Hollowing out the US military from within like a predatory wasp might be the one good thing capitalism has ever done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

docbeard posted:

Hollowing out the US military from within like a predatory wasp might be the one good thing capitalism has ever done

i love capitalism now woo woo