Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...t-eternals-yet/

huh, SCE got a few regular human buddies

quote:

When the Reclusians take up arms, they are accompanied by mortal priests called Memorians, often direct descendants of the Stormcast Eternals themselves.

I didn't know SCE were down to bang

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Looking like the kind of glow up the Chaos Warriors got.

Capes instead of just big bulging shoulder pads and a bunch of extra gribbly bits hanging around the place, but ya know, less chaos looking.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Reclusian is an A+ name

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I think they're fine enough models but this area

is kind of a visual mess

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Winklebottom posted:

I don't think they can reproduce, but they were all mortals once too, and many of them left behind family before Sigmar rose them up.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah it's the same deal as Chaos Chosen where some people at games-workshop don't get the concept of "less is more"

versus

Where the more subdued look of regular warriors ends up being better.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think they can reproduce, but they were all mortals once too, and many of them left behind family before Sigmar rose them up.

ah yeah, forgot that bit of the lore

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also makes more sense why they switched to the Hallowed Knights color scheme since it mirrors the chaos warriors and fits the new designs much better.

Man, now I'm thinking about kit bashing the two into some kind of big body armored mess.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Count Thrashula posted:

New Stormcast models are slappin hard, this is cool

Memento was a cool movie. Like that these guys have their minders on the field with them.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Winklebottom posted:

ok THIS is a pretty awesome look for the Stormcast eternals. I like the more grim direction instead of the polished look. if this is the overall direction the new SCE armies will take I am much MUCH more interested.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
the bird kneepad is definitly asking for a Chosen of Tzeench kitbash

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Winklebottom posted:

is kind of a visual mess

He's gonna trip over that awkwardly placed sword.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Don't need to walk when you can ride the lightning.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Winklebottom posted:

is kind of a visual mess

I like the intentionality of that mess, tbh. The idea of desperately sticking reminder after reminder of a Stormcast's heroic deeds onto their armor, while they no longer remember or feel anything about any of them, is such a fun contrast. And you can play it two ways, too. Is it a genuine attempt to help them hold onto their humanity? Or dressing up a nothing of a person in past glories to hide that they're nothing but a shell?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Blasmeister posted:

Memento was a cool movie. Like that these guys have their minders on the field with them.

quote:

armour adorned with relics and parchments listing their numerous heroic deeds.

Oh, lmao, thought it was a joke, not literally.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Lostconfused posted:

Oh, lmao, thought it was a joke, not literally.

It's their entire design concept and it rules. They're covered in forgotten glories and shepherded into battle by their living kin.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah, I was looking at pretty pictures and didn't bother reading the article.

It is a really cool concept design, hope they manage to fill out the roster with stuff like and not only one unit. Definitely hits the right design notes for me same way big black armor boys do.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah, I was looking at pretty pictures and didn't bother reading the article.

Guilty as well. Still think they could lose the crotch sword to alleviate the clutter :v:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Yeah, new stormcast guy owns. Maybe the best one ever.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah it's the same deal as Chaos Chosen where some people at games-workshop don't get the concept of "less is more"

versus

Where the more subdued look of regular warriors ends up being better.

The chosen have about the same level of trim as your average chaos space marine. :v:

At least they don't have capes on top of it all. Every regular chaos warrior and chaos knight has a giant flowing cape getting in the way. Makes getting at the details a hassle and I'm painting my warriors off of their bases as a result.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Regular warriors have far less trim than the chosen. The biggest problem with the capes is when the extra long weapon handle gets in they way, which is one good argument for hand/ensorcelled weapons.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 15, 2024

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Sigmar, looking at Skavenblight popping out of the ground and destroying large chunks of the livable mass of the planes.

"WELL, THAT SUCKS."

Sigmar, turning to look at the Old Stormcast's Home, where the inmates have to wear upside-down nametags.

"ALTHOUGH..."

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Love the idea of the Ruination guys being murderous superhuman dementia patients

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sigmar slamming on the "Open Stormcast chamber" button the moment he heard a lot squeaking.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

actually come to think of it, this might be supremely out of date info but last I heard isnt the whole reason why AoS is a thing is that the Skaven won everything and the universe is just a bunch of giant universe spanning rats eating each other and people are just fighting in their innards or something? it's wierd that the skaven even need to fight at all at this point if they already won everything.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

"C'mon Grandma, we need you to smash some rats"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They didn't win, Chaos did. They just escaped last minute like the Lizardmen. At the time Skaven were kind of aligned with Chaos but we're still doing a lot ofbself serving stuff that set Chaos back.

The council that led the skaven during the old world all paid homage to the Horned Rat but only as far as it benefitted them. The implication in AoS is that since then The Horned Rat has purged the non-believers from the skaven and gone full Chaos god.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 15, 2024

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

actually come to think of it, this might be supremely out of date info but last I heard isnt the whole reason why AoS is a thing is that the Skaven won everything and the universe is just a bunch of giant universe spanning rats eating each other and people are just fighting in their innards or something? it's wierd that the skaven even need to fight at all at this point if they already won everything.

I think you might be remembering an old 1st (?) edition illustration meant to show how the Skaven "burrows" in the fabric between the realms. The giant rats are not literal.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

"C'mon Grandma, we need you to smash some rats"

:five:

Al-Saqr posted:

Nah, it was Chaos in general that won which lead to the Mortal Realms happening. The great horned rat did however get boosted up to a proper chaos god though as a result.
Skaven were kind of responsible for the Necroquake though because they had assassins running around inside Nagash inverted pyramid when that went down and created some problems.

Also skaven fight because they are duplicitous assholes who crave power and will backstab everyone in order to get it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well supposedly proper chaos god now in the new edition, we'll see if your chaos warriors can take the mark of the great horned rat or not.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

I think you might be remembering an old 1st (?) edition illustration meant to show how the Skaven "burrows" in the fabric between the realms. The giant rats are not literal.

ah ok, that's probably how I got confused.

so like if the Horned rat is now a chaos god what's he supposed to represent? isnt Nurgle the embodiment of plague and pestilence and infestation? I wonder what the 'theme' of the horned rat is.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Pet rats are friendly and curious, so that's what I assume

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Al-Saqr posted:

so like if the Horned rat is now a chaos god what's he supposed to represent? isnt Nurgle the embodiment of plague and pestilence and infestation? I wonder what the 'theme' of the horned rat is.

I think the Horned Rat represent cunning and treachery in Chaos, as well as the nature of Chaos to eat itself (the constant backstabbing).

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Officially, probably some kind of entropy thing.

Practically, the GHR is a smug dick, to go along with the angry dick, thirsty dick, sick dick, and stupid dick.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

It might be a slightly unsatisfying answer, but his theme seem to be the Skaven, in all their backstabbing, plague-y, mutating, murdering glory. The old Chaos gods gain power from their respective domains, and the Horned Rat has managed to elevate the Skaven to a point where they have elevated him in turn as his domain.

Note: this is just my read on it, they might expand on the subject in the new edition

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Crazy Ferret posted:

I think the Horned Rat represent cunning and treachery in Chaos, as well as the nature of Chaos to eat itself (the constant backstabbing).

Ohh! That makes sense i like that.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I really like the Ruination chamber lore but it's also pretty similar to my understanding of Dreadnoughts in 40k, so that feels a bit less original than it did at first.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Muir posted:

I really like the Ruination chamber lore but it's also pretty similar to my understanding of Dreadnoughts in 40k, so that feels a bit less original than it did at first.

Arent dreadnoughts alot more 'present' though? Theyre marines in a vegetative state but whose brains are still functionig mechanically re-activated, rather than truly sundowning lightning golems the stormcast ruination guys are.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 15, 2024

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Crazy Ferret posted:

Bring back Malal, cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Al-Saqr posted:

Arent dreadnoughts alot more 'present' though? Theyre marines in a vegetative state but whose brains are still functionig mechanically re-activated, rather than truly sundowning lightning golems the stormcast ruination guys are.

Could be, I may be misremembering.