Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Rocket Pan posted:

Pak files? The System Shock remake is Unreal Engine 4. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think you can just so casually mod that.

There's actually quite a few mods that work that way, dropping pak files into Content\Paks. But wasn't there a big patch recently? I imagine it broke a bunch of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

there are a lot of people on the earth who have no aesthetic sense of their own and so quantify beauty in the number of pixels and such

it is for those people that the 4x ai sharpened upscaled textures exist. there are bigger numbers so its better, even though it just makes the game look like your character is about to have a migraine

As is my habit, I allowed myself to get annoyed by a steam review for the System Shock remake today that gave it a thumbs down because of the "low res" graphics. They'll come back to it when "modders fix it".

The game is loving gorgeous, what is wrong with people.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
See also, Reshade. Which I've seen used to stellar effect exactly once (giving the Mad Max game Fury Road's lighting) and otherwise gets casually used by some folks, but 99% of the time someone shares or boasts about their setup it's just 300% saturation plus 300% blur and they did it because idiot game devs don't know how to light their games properly. :rolleyes:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Rocket Pan posted:

Pak files? The System Shock remake is Unreal Engine 4. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think you can just so casually mod that.

Every top mod for the game on Nexus is just a pak file that goes in the folder mentioned earlier

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

As is my habit, I allowed myself to get annoyed by a steam review for the System Shock remake today that gave it a thumbs down because of the "low res" graphics. They'll come back to it when "modders fix it".

The game is loving gorgeous, what is wrong with people.

I genuinely can't understand these brain worms. A friend of mine was trying to reshade Starfield day 1 because "the blacks aren't crisp enough" noting how washed out the darkness looks in the opening scene. That's in a mine. Where it's dusty and sparsely lit. Of course the fuckin darkness looks grey it's full of dust this is a MINE it's supposed to look dusty! Like of all the problems that game has that's not one of em. I can't for the life of me understand the mentality of someone who looks at a new game and is like "oh this is ALL wrong" and then proceeds to completely demolish the game's art style for some reason

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Starfield has awful LUT filters that make everything look washed out and weird (not in a good way) so cut your friend some slack on that one. It's not like they're superbly executing on exoplanet mine ambience, it just looks bad.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Starfield has awful LUT filters that make everything look washed out and weird (not in a good way) so cut your friend some slack on that one. It's not like they're superbly executing on exoplanet mine ambience, it just looks bad.

yeah, thinking SS remake looks bad because the low res graphics is dumb (don't buy the game in the first place if you don't gel with that style, you can look at the style from screenshots and trailers first!), but Starfield was super grey, not only in the starting mine. It looks better with modded LUT filters.
Does that violate the artistic intent? Yeah, any mod violates the 'artistic intent', the whole point of most mods is to improve upon the base, that already implies the original 'artistic intent' could be improved.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The System Shock remake, in comparison, is such a tightly executed artistic vision that it's a joy to look at even when it grates on your senses. I can't think of a way to change how it looks without making it look worse. Sometimes intent and execution are bad, but not here.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
there's a demo for system shock! There's literally no excuse!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
System Shock remake is literally one of the best looking games I've ever seen, these people need to be pointed to Prey (new version) tbh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
that game looks good too

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

that game looks good too

yeah they both look amazing imo, but Prey is definitely the 'immersive sim on a haunted space station' that works better with extreme graphics mods

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The System Shock love :allears:

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The perception of what represents good visuals is one of those things that continuously blows my mind, especially when it comes to re-shaders and modding.

I was scouting Twitch streams (my first mistake, admittedly) for the Fallout games this weekend, and some dude was playing a heavily modded version of New Vegas. It honestly looked like a demake, or one of those "here's Elden Ring at ultra-low settings!" meme screenshots. Just a mass of over saturated washed out colours. Not that New Vegas is a good looking game by.. pretty much any metric, but modding it to that extent just seemed to remove any creative vision or interest about it.

Regarding System Shock, anything other than this "this looks awesome" is simply a sign of poor taste.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I actually use reshade in a lot of games, I'm not sure if it's the games themselves or my monitor but I often think colors are a little muted. But I only bump saturation up like from 0.0 to 0.15 so not a ridiculous boost

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Reshades I've come around to especially since they're a lot easier to deal with than ENB poo poo. For textures there's like one Morrowind texture pack I think looks pretty good but for things like New Vegas the game isn't going to look amazing regardless so I just stick with the original textures and stick a reshade on maybe.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

site posted:

I actually use reshade in a lot of games, I'm not sure if it's the games themselves or my monitor but I often think colors are a little muted. But I only bump saturation up like from 0.0 to 0.15 so not a ridiculous boost

I boost saturation a bit in FF14, which is distractingly desaturated to my eyes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I remember my brother showing me ReShade for one of the newer Deus Ex games on his PC and it looked wayyyy better than the piss-yellow console version I'd been playing

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

I boost saturation a bit in FF14, which is distractingly desaturated to my eyes.
Well, it doesn't help that the default settings have gamma correction at 50%. (Taken from Galaga Galaxian over in the XIV thread because it's convenient)

That's just the difference between 50% and 0%; you might still want to reshade to make the colors pop a bit better, it's just that the defaults make everything even more washed out than they need to be!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I remember my brother showing me ReShade for one of the newer Deus Ex games on his PC and it looked wayyyy better than the piss-yellow console version I'd been playing

I think that was just the gold filter that Human Revolution had - it was easily removed, but I liked it! If I recall correctly they caved to pressure like cowards and it was removed officially in the Directors Cut.

Conversely, Bethesda always seems to insist on having weird filters on their games which generally looks awful, but that may be a sum of its parts thing what with their games having awful art direction in general.

Not quite a reshade (or it might be, I don't know), but I've been using Special K to force HDR onto games that don't natively support it / isn't supported by Windows auto HDR and it works very well. System Shock remake looks amazing with HDR.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 15, 2024

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Adaca is on sale on Steam, just 10 euros. I just bought it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think I had to adjust a few things in PRBoom+ the first time I used it because the gamma was set way too dark at first. I swapped over to shader lighting and then set the gamma adjustment to 0 and that seemed to work well. Dark areas are still really dark even if not quite the way they were in software mode.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I think that was just the gold filter that Human Revolution had - it was easily removed, but I liked it! If I recall correctly they caved to pressure like cowards and it was removed officially in the Directors Cut.

Wasn't there also the issue that because the game's visual style was built around the gold filter, everything looked weird without it? At least with the Director's Cut they were able to compensate for that because they were making a conscious decision

Anyway, speaking of ReShade, while it certainly can be useful on a case by case basis, I think some people take it way too far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D04S2vHpXws

This is Cyberpunk 2077. It doesn't loving look like it anymore because someone's used ReShade and other mods to completely annihilate the color palette and visual style in the name of "realism" (a.k.a. give it the color temps of a 7th Generation game and also a bodycam) using the UnRecord mod. But of course maybe I'm in the minority because if you look at comments anywhere about this everyone just seems to gush over it but personally I think it removes anything unique about Cyberpunk 2077's look.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1571940/Ctrl_Alt_Ego/

Anyone knows this InSim?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

Wasn't there also the issue that because the game's visual style was built around the gold filter, everything looked weird without it? At least with the Director's Cut they were able to compensate for that because they were making a conscious decision

Anyway, speaking of ReShade, while it certainly can be useful on a case by case basis, I think some people take it way too far.

This is Cyberpunk 2077. It doesn't loving look like it anymore because someone's used ReShade and other mods to completely annihilate the color palette and visual style in the name of "realism" (a.k.a. give it the color temps of a 7th Generation game and also a bodycam) using the UnRecord mod. But of course maybe I'm in the minority because if you look at comments anywhere about this everyone just seems to gush over it but personally I think it removes anything unique about Cyberpunk 2077's look.

Lol if you played the game like that you're 100% a serial killer.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm not saying Starfield is some kind of perfect visual game but I cannot, no matter how hard I try, imagine a world in which Reshade is not an insane thing to use. To me using reshade on a game especially one you've never played before sounds like applying your own color grade over a movie. Like movies can look bad or good but being like ah the problem with this film is that the contrast is off I hope modders fix that is the words of a crazy person. I will simply fix the red balance to improve Keanu's face. Am I just out of touch or are the children wrong? I see so many people who talk about using reshade like it's not serial killer behavior. I'm genuinely baffled by it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Turin Turambar posted:

Adaca is on sale on Steam, just 10 euros. I just bought it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Glagha posted:

I'm not saying Starfield is some kind of perfect visual game but I cannot, no matter how hard I try, imagine a world in which Reshade is not an insane thing to use. To me using reshade on a game especially one you've never played before sounds like applying your own color grade over a movie. Like movies can look bad or good but being like ah the problem with this film is that the contrast is off I hope modders fix that is the words of a crazy person. I will simply fix the red balance to improve Keanu's face. Am I just out of touch or are the children wrong? I see so many people who talk about using reshade like it's not serial killer behavior. I'm genuinely baffled by it.
sounds to me like you care what the game designer/director's vision was, which many people simply don't

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

video games aren't movies

LazyMaybe posted:

sounds to me like you care what the game designer/director's vision was, which many people simply don't

Fixing whatever's wrong with Starfield's color grading doesn't seem too controversial to me because 1) I can't tell if they actually had much of a vision, 2) if they did have a vision, they clearly didn't execute on it well at all, and 3) I live my life by Burger King rules

Now running System Shock Remaster's textures through some AI upscaler to make the equivalent of those 4k texture packs for Minecraft? That's a different story

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 15, 2024

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Considering the variety in both hardware and graphics settings for even an unmodified pc game, I am hesitant to say that there's a single cannonical look for any of them. But mods like those have the same energy as people who insist on colorizing black and white movies, or think that any painting that doesn't try to be photorealistic is lovely.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Angry_Ed posted:

As someone who never played Cyberpunk 2077 it looks good to me - kinda like a modern interpretation of a post-Combine City 17. But it’s unrecognizable as CP2077, you’re right about that.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

LazyMaybe posted:

I mean kinda sorta not really but maybe? Like Starfield is not a fantastic looking game and I don't have some kind of defensive interest in protecting their sacred vision but like there's so much jank in that game and the idea that someone looks at that game and is like "man these shadows are kinda washed out" is just absolutely baffling to me. Like I can't even imagine noticing that or caring and especially caring enough that I need to mod the game to make this look better to my eye. It's kinda like the default texture filtering poo poo in GZDoom to me where i'm like who gives a poo poo let it look how it looks. I see a screenshot of a game side by side and they show one where the shadows are darker and my only thought is those are certainly two pictures of a video game. I can't wrap my head around the mentality where I have imagined a nonexistent version of this game's minor color grading that is the better one to the point where I HAVE to "fix" it.

Edit: For my GZDoom anecdote to be clear I'm saying the texture filtering looks like dogshit leave the pixels pixely. I'm not a monster.

Double edit: Also to be extra clear I don't care if people use reshade I think some of the effects people get are neat I'm just having an old man yells at cloud moment.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I was forced to watch a movie with the TV's "contrast enhancing" auto-dimming and 60 FPS upscaler enabled at my dad's house

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I was forced to watch a movie with the TV's "contrast enhancing" auto-dimming and 60 FPS upscaler enabled at my dad's house

'motion interpolation' genuinely makes me feel ill, especially when it cuts to a new angle and the smoothing glitches out momentarily

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh my god, that's terrible. I can't stand those frame smoothing features on TVs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

No one would blame you if you killed him

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Angry_Ed posted:

AFAIK they didn't compensate for its removal in the Director's Cut, everything looks weird in that too. Naturally, there's a mod to add the filter back in because it really did tie everything together.

Yeah, it's good.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Watch the movie at the same time on your phone

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Sometimes I gently caress around to see what a movie or game would look like in black and white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

In Training posted:

Lol if you played the game like that you're 100% a serial killer.

yeah people who want to play out cop murder videos are someone you want to cross the street to avoid