Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

The warp nacelles are detached for no reason that is ever explained. It just seems to make things more difficult if the transporters go down, while providing no benefit.

This allows them to move them around the ship to make custom shaped subspace warp bubbles, like balloon animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

dr_rat posted:

With how much Engineering seem to be constantly tweaking every part of the ship constantly, I don't even know how you'd start going about making that universally true.

"Oh yeah normally we wouldn't of picked that up, but one of the other engineers has been reading this paper about this transporter anomaly on the USS ChairLeg from a couple of months ago, and when they fixed it they found that by changing the relay vibration frequency in the crystal sensors it makes transporters .23 % more efficient, so we just did that, so yeah, now it picked up your BS bug.

Cliff Stoll discovered the Hannover Hacker because of a 75 cent discrepancy in a computer lab usage bill.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Yeah the Cuckoo egg's a great book. Love the part where he tries to figure out how far away the hacker is via the latency time, and the latency time put the hacker on the moon or something wild like that.

Alas it was not a moon hacker. I also believe he burnt his running shoes in the microwave at some point.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

There’s also the very recent account of a years-long plot to inject a back door attack into a widely used open source library that could have eventually compromised every computer on the planet being foiled by some guy wondering why his CPU usage was a little higher than usual.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

swickles posted:

She seriously considered erasing all his memories again.

She would have happily erased all his memories again, if it weren't for those darn kids

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Communications Officer: Hey Captain, it's weird I keep picking up a constant stream of data not linked to any specific crew member or piece of official equipment, being transmitted from the ship to a location that is constantly remaining at exactly the same distance from us no matter where we go unless we use the Spore Drive, at which point it eventually catches up to the same distance again and stays there. It started exactly once Adira beamed back up from Trill. Also it seems to constantly be coming from either wherever Adira is or from our Space Laundry.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Jerusalem posted:

Communications Officer: Hey Captain, it's weird I keep picking up a constant stream of data not linked to any specific crew member or piece of official equipment, being transmitted from the ship to a location that is constantly remaining at exactly the same distance from us no matter where we go unless we use the Spore Drive, at which point it eventually catches up to the same distance again and stays there. It started exactly once Adira beamed back up from Trill. Also it seems to constantly be coming from either wherever Adira is or from our Space Laundry.

what if it doesn't transmit anything unless you get to another planet, and then it basically logs onto public space WiFi and uploads important bits

modern day spyware can do that and also decide what to record or summarize rather than sending everything back :shrug:

all you'd really need is location info every hour or so, should be pretty easy to smuggle that

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Moll: Okay we got the hourly logs back, it says here they were at Rigellius Prime 3 hours ago, then 2 hours later they were at... Tantus 7? But that's 3 weeks away from Rigellius Prime even at Warp 9? And an hour ago they were... back at Starfleet HQ? Goddammit, they must have rumbled our spyware and are feeding us false data!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

This allows them to move them around the ship to make custom shaped subspace warp bubbles, like balloon animals.

Yeah the soft sci-fi in the background on this is fine: you need a warp bubble to move the ship FTL, the more efficient the shape of your warp bubble the faster you will be able to go while taking less energy. This is all in the realms of real theory, albeit afaik we are still in the 'if it's even actually possible you'd need all the energy in the universe to do it's space, but it's how a hypothetical warp engine would work. In that context detachable and mobile devices that generate your warp bubble would be better.

But Discovery never explains any of that on screen because it's uninterested in referencing any actual science (fair enough) but there's also no story reason for the change other than 'looks cool'. So that's the literal in text reason the characters give for the change and they never look back but for the fact that the show now needs to pay for the programmable matter effect all the time now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's not like Voyager ever explained why the nacelles go up and down and we managed that just fine. (There was a techwank explanation that made its way into the fandom but it was never actually in the show)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Voyager design was massively improved for the Protostar in Prodigy, where the motion of the nacelles makes it look like the entire ship is stretching forward into a sprint. The Voyager nacelles always looked too small to me.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Isn't that how they discover Geordi got brainwashed in "The Mind's Eye"?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Considering uniforms go into matter processing rather than get cleaned, the first time Adira throws it in the laundry basket, that bug is gone.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Considering uniforms go into matter processing rather than get cleaned, the first time Adira throws it in the laundry basket, that bug is gone.

Man, you wouldn't want to accidentally leave something in your pockets. Wait do the uniforms have pockets? They must right? How can you not have pockets!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I wonder what makes matter processing more efficient than just cleaning. Water use? Space restrictions?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

This is how we find out they do the 2 days then turn inside out routine for shirts

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'd expect that instead of just fully dereplicating the uniform matter processing just dereplicates everything that's off-pattern and returns it to you.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So you mean in the far future no one ever has to do laundry ever again. Now I'm imagining 24th Century "Boomer" memes that make it seem like the Federation was only "great" when people did laundry, not before them newfangled matter reprocessors dun gone made everybody soft.

*KIRK USED DETERGENT* :colbert:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Moll and Lak lose their minds as they turn on their listening device to find that Adira spends most of their time in their room listening to the worst loving music you have ever heard of and is not really in the loop for most command decisions or discussions.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I swear Discovery straight up had a scene where a uniform gets replicated for that day's use.

EDIT: S1 ep4

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 15, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Sure it's a hell of a lot more resource intensive, but everyone just really wants to permanently have that new uniform smell everyday.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Seemlar posted:

What on Earth gave you this idea, Discovery is basically the first show in the series to even recognize mental health as an actual thing

Star Trek's previous takes on it were almost all the psychological equivalent of "rub some dirt on it and walk it off"

This is from a few pages back, but I just wanted to point out that Discovery had Detmer overcome her combat PTSD by flying the ship into battle, and the show didn't have a ships counselor until season 4(?) when Culver took the role.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It's really hard to enjoy the new Star Trek episodes this year when I'm aware that Discovery, Prodigy, and Lower Decks were all cancelled before their desired end dates, and are all zombie shows on a zombie network. It's just kind of depressing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I have a sneaking suspicion that they'll do SNW 3 and 4 back to back, and then call it a day.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

The_Doctor posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that they'll do SNW 3 and 4 back to back, and then call it a day.

I don't think they're willing to give up SNW that easily.

Discovery isn't very good and Lower Decks/Prodigy were easy to cancel because they generally cater to a niche of a niche. SNW is Star Trek's flagship now and it's wildly popular.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah. I hate this. It's hard to divorce the real life drama from the TV shows, and it's just depressing to watch.

Accipiter posted:

Discovery isn't very good and Lower Decks/Prodigy were easy to cancel because they generally cater to a niche of a niche. SNW is Star Trek's flagship now and it's wildly popular.

I think Prodigy could've been something more had they adequately resonated with the Avatar/Korra crowd (me).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Accipiter posted:

SNW is Star Trek's flagship now and it's wildly popular.

It's gold for them because for the first time ever they have a seamless reboot *built in* to the show arc that everyone knows is coming.

Wouldn't shock me if they alter/change the name of the show* once Kirk takes command, though. Also, temporal determinism means there's a chance La'an might still be on the Enterprise when they encounter the Botany Bay, even though I've a feeling they'll find a way to send her to the Cornfield lest every episode have an overtone of sexual tension and fraternization.

* Something dumb like "Strange New Worlds: The Five Year Mission"

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wouldn't shock me if they alter/change the name of the show* once Kirk takes command, though.

The show will end at or just before Kirk takes command. We don't need a Captain Kirk show. We have TOS for that.

Pike's unfortunate incident doesn't happen for another 8 or 9 years in-universe.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Couple petitions to save Lower Decks getting rolling. The first is approaching 7k already, second at 3.5k
https://chng.it/Zc9Rc5HhxC
https://chng.it/7Ch2vhMshG

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Accipiter posted:

The show will end at or just before Kirk takes command. We don't need a Captain Kirk show. We have TOS for that.

Pike's unfortunate incident doesn't happen for another 8 or 9 years in-universe.

I'd be excited if they just bowled over TOS and started remaking it in line with SNW. Very few new people are ever going to watch TOS. The scripts are already written, it has a ton of the IP executives crave, and for most folks Captain Kirk is just a funny way of talking.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Khanstant posted:

I'd be excited if they just bowled over TOS and started remaking it in line with SNW. Very few new people are ever going to watch TOS. The scripts are already written, it has a ton of the IP executives crave, and for most folks Captain Kirk is just a funny way of talking.

If they get to TOS era they should have the ship go through a refit and then have the exact TOS era bridge. No one mentions why the interior of the ship looks so cheap now.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I think SNW will be "Pike collects the Enterprise crew" and then they end it when it's all ready for TOS.

Plus, with how Paramount has been going, I have suspicions it isn't going passed five seasons.

Discovery was also their flagship show and they still booted it after five seasons.

The moment they have something else ready, SNW will get the boot.

TuxedoOrca fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 15, 2024

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SNW is definitely their Trek flagship show. It’s front and centre on every Paramount+ advertisement whenever I walk into Walmart.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

We will end up with the Starfleet academy show in the 32nd century, for either which no-one seems to particularly care for, as the flagship.

Star Trek, but its on Earth and they don't visit new places.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Der Kyhe posted:

We will end up with the Starfleet academy show in the 32nd century, for either which no-one seems to particularly care for, as the flagship.

They go on field trips!

Their class could actually be a ship like some kind of magic school bus

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Der Kyhe posted:

Look, I'm not saying the academy show is going to be good, but I do remember when this was a criticism of DS9

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They go on field trips!

Their class could actually be a ship like some kind of magic school bus

Just project starfields onto the windows and it's 99.99% like being aboard a starship for most crew on most missions across the galaxy.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Accipiter posted:

Is it wildly popular?
Picard has more ratings on IMDB than SNW does, almost double the amount. Both for episodes (around 8k for Picard to 4k for SNW) and for the series (90k for picard 50k for SNW).
It's genuinely loving impossible to know how many people watch these things.

Lower decks by contrast is 22k and like...700 per episode. Discovery has 134k overall but the amount of people rating specific episodes has dropped off loads since the first series.

Yea you can't say "this definitely means more people are watching Picard than Discovery" but it PROBABLY means that, a bit like with Steam reviews.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

DISCO resurrected the franchise and Picard got huge amount of people back to watch, I'll give them that. Business-wise they were both very successful ventures.

It still does not mean that they are good, they are just commercially successful ones.

EDIT: And I also *do* remember the DS9 "they are just sitting at a station" criticism. That's why I said that about the Academy show. It rhymes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Der Kyhe posted:

DISCO resurrected the franchise and Picard got huge amount of people back to watch, I'll give them that. Business-wise they were both very successful ventures.

It still does not mean that they are good, they are just commercially successful ones.

EDIT: And I also *do* remember the DS9 "they are just sitting at a station" criticism. That's why I said that about the Academy show. It rhymes.

No I know I'm not making any comment on the quality of the shows just kinda pushing back against the idea that SNW is wildly successful.
We like it here but that doesn't mean it's struck big or anything. As I say, there's really no way to know other than vague metrics from places