Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I'm not kidding when I say that the Western world is extraordinarily violent when compared to other countries. We respond to any problems with violence first. In the US even the only go-to political metaphor for dealing with domestic issues is to declare a war on some thing or even some abstract concept. Our societies are rife with violence, our fiction is violent and the only thing that ever stops us is violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
its actually kinda insidious how the american way of war, i.e. just razing an entire country to the ground no matter what, is seen as the only reasonable strategy

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
like, you have people unironically arguing that fighting a limited war is somehow inherently wrong

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Cerebral Bore posted:

its actually kinda insidious how the american way of war, i.e. just razing an entire country to the ground no matter what, is seen as the only reasonable strategy

It's an outgrowth of America having the ability to produce so much materiel in the world wars. It developed into the "American Way of War" when the same methods that had defeated Germany in the Hundred Days and Northwest Europe were applied to every other American conflict. America did not have a plan to stop the DPRK at Pusan, per se, but they had tremendous amounts of firepower. In Vietnam, American 2lts going into contact would just form line and carry out a frontal, but they were able to get away with this lack of tactical acumen because they had tremendous amounts of firepower, and the same was true all the way up the line, to the point of using B-52s, firepower America otherwise just had lying around, to carry out Arc Light strikes and flatten swaths of jungle.

I don't think it's insidious, exactly, so much as the natural result of 20th century America being almost uniquely able to produce Coca Cola and artillery shells, and transport them anywhere on earth. There's a reason McNamara went on to work at Ford, then came back to run the war in Vietnam. That kind of production line analysis propelled America. The Edsel was a lovely car, but it was produced well, and in volume. America's wars didn't go well, but munitions were always available in volume. They had the material means to go ahead with flawed designs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

like, you have people unironically arguing that fighting a limited war is somehow inherently wrong

because every post-WW2 conflict that the US lost, when it's even been admitted that it was lost, is argued that it was due to politicians holding back the military from using overwhelming firepower

Truman stopped MacArthur from nuking the Chinese, the Pentagon did a gradual bombing campaign rather than unleash the B-52s from day one, and so on and so forth

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Which is particularly interesting now. See, America never saw the limit of their productive capacity in a war before. That led, as Gradenko says, to the excuse being perennially available that there was more they could do. They had mountains of 750lb bombs they didn't drop on Vietnam, but could have. Well, there's no point trying to explain to people that there's no reason to suppose it would have made a difference. They're from the Show Me State, they see the bombs, they won't believe they wouldn't make a difference until they're dropped.

Only, America isn't the country of the mid 60's anymore, or even 1991. There are limits to American production, pretty substantial ones. This is obviously a problem because if American strategy consists of "throw more materiel at the problem", the transmutation, which we already saw in the GWOT, into "throw more money at the problem" is going to produce diminishing returns. Worse, that money is the product of finance, and it's spent on finance, the actual coal and iron, bombs and rifles, those aren't at the government's command the way they were.

So, how is America going to respond the next time it's at a strategic impasse?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Whats that old joke about American military doctrine being you can't figure out how to beat something that doesn't exist

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's the foreign policy equivalent of Americans insisting that it is morally wrong (or even physically impossible) to fire a gun with the intent to wound someone rather than kill, and relatedly that the only reason to point a gun at someone is to kill them.

Even though police forces from even other Western countries regularly and deliberately do both. The American ultraviolence *must* be the norm.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

The Oldest Man posted:

this is a very funny video if you have an hour to watch a liberal try to imagine a world where financial gravity doesn't exist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqjvTKFufuk

I got around to listen to it. It's indeed very funny. Just endless Ls for the first half and embarrassing solutions in the 2nd half. Like "LockMart making more Patriot missiles themselves without an advanced order because they are confident somebody will order them". I bet those "extra production" of Patriot missiles are just numbers on a spreadsheet and LockMart is trailing a new grif scheme.

I hate this guy's accent but I still listen to the whole thing.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

I'm not kidding when I say that the Western world is extraordinarily violent when compared to other countries. We respond to any problems with violence first. In the US even the only go-to political metaphor for dealing with domestic issues is to declare a war on some thing or even some abstract concept. Our societies are rife with violence, our fiction is violent and the only thing that ever stops us is violence.

and that’s why I promise, if elected, to ensure our society has the resources it needs to win the war on violence

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Which is particularly interesting now. See, America never saw the limit of their productive capacity in a war before. That led, as Gradenko says, to the excuse being perennially available that there was more they could do. They had mountains of 750lb bombs they didn't drop on Vietnam, but could have. Well, there's no point trying to explain to people that there's no reason to suppose it would have made a difference. They're from the Show Me State, they see the bombs, they won't believe they wouldn't make a difference until they're dropped.

Only, America isn't the country of the mid 60's anymore, or even 1991. There are limits to American production, pretty substantial ones. This is obviously a problem because if American strategy consists of "throw more materiel at the problem", the transmutation, which we already saw in the GWOT, into "throw more money at the problem" is going to produce diminishing returns. Worse, that money is the product of finance, and it's spent on finance, the actual coal and iron, bombs and rifles, those aren't at the government's command the way they were.

You're correct that the US did not see the limit of their productive capacity in the 20th century. However I must absolutely stress that the South was crushed in the ACW by limits to its productive capacity and this was the prevailing view of how the North won (more men, more guns, more food, more ammo) for most who considered the issue.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah, sherman and grant were just jerking off.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

yeah, sherman and grant were just jerking off.

Hey, who are we to criticize what they do in their tents?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Sherman and Grant did pretty incredible things, but by the mid 20th century these were forgotten in favor of the "Northern production versus Southern élan" narrative.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Speleothing posted:

Sherman and Grant did pretty incredible things, but by the mid 20th century these were forgotten in favor of the "Northern production versus Southern élan" narrative.

"por que no los dos"

It's a very interesting subversion there with the rhetoric around it: given how it turned out in terms of a political discussion (and from the little I've read around the ACW), the argument of industrial power is thrown around in a pejorative manner. It's a great thing to notice because it seems to apply really well for today, as the culmination of that process: there's an admiring tone of the southern élan, of it's soldiers fighting in rags and dire prospects of ammo and rationing food, etc

like, what the gently caress, this is a thorough operational disaster. Élan in those conditions matters little. imho, there's a hunch in me that the congratulatory/self-appeasing historiography of the American South there (with very clear political purposes) did much to profoundly influence the 20th century American military in that direction, instead of highly praising the feats of logistics, organization etc of the Union. "The gentry soldier" should have been wiped out, but rehabilitating officers into the US army would of course have consequences

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

And it feeds back into the narrative about the 20th century military that we had the capacity to defeat anyone, even ourselves, and it's only our weak politicians who won't do it. We knew what a lack of ammunition & materiel looks like and we never ran into it.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

*taps thread title*

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Today, we do have an under-production problem and it's been covered up with a focus on precision strikes against infrastructure and special operations against political leadership. Until Ukraine showed that method doesn't work against peer or near peer enemies.

Which is basically the point of this entire thread, reiterated.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

dead gay comedy forums posted:

"por que no los dos"

It's a very interesting subversion there with the rhetoric around it: given how it turned out in terms of a political discussion (and from the little I've read around the ACW), the argument of industrial power is thrown around in a pejorative manner. It's a great thing to notice because it seems to apply really well for today, as the culmination of that process: there's an admiring tone of the southern élan, of it's soldiers fighting in rags and dire prospects of ammo and rationing food, etc

like, what the gently caress, this is a thorough operational disaster. Élan in those conditions matters little. imho, there's a hunch in me that the congratulatory/self-appeasing historiography of the American South there (with very clear political purposes) did much to profoundly influence the 20th century American military in that direction, instead of highly praising the feats of logistics, organization etc of the Union. "The gentry soldier" should have been wiped out, but rehabilitating officers into the US army would of course have consequences

the US during the lincoln administration was doing incredible feats of logistics that epic prussians wouldn't ever manage to do.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

given how it turned out in terms of a political discussion (and from the little I've read around the ACW), the argument of industrial power is thrown around in a pejorative manner.

it never fails that any argument about Grant vs Lee has someone saying that Grant only won because he had more warm bodies to throw at the South and like... okay???

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

"por que no los dos"

It's the same admiration as for the Nazis, who were also constrained in their production power, isn't it?

The US apparently hates the way it wins its wars. But then when they lose they blame not being able to have done more of that same thing. It's a very curious thing.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

it never fails that any argument about Grant vs Lee has someone saying that Grant only won because he had more warm bodies to throw at the South and like... okay???

Could grant have beaten lee in a fistfight?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

The Confederates were defeated by a north who evilly used their superior economy and industry against them and also wanted to invade the south for economic reasons.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Lee probably would have kicked Grant's rear end in a fistfight, Lee had like 2-3 inches and 50 pounds on him. Grant was, by most accounts, kind of a skinny nerd. So the coward Grant instead brought 100,000 of his bros to the fight and hid behind them.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Orange Devil posted:

It's the same admiration as for the Nazis, who were also constrained in their production power, isn't it?

The US apparently hates the way it wins its wars. But then when they lose they blame not being able to have done more of that same thing. It's a very curious thing.

What idealism does to a motherfucker

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

Lee probably would have kicked Grant's rear end in a fistfight, Lee had like 2-3 inches and 50 pounds on him. Grant was, by most accounts, kind of a skinny nerd. So the coward Grant instead brought 100,000 of his bros to the fight and hid behind them.

Grant was like 15 years younger, he'd have kicked Lee's 58-year-old rear end in a fistfight. A swordfight tho, that would be a good question

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

This is not the The US will lose The Civil War Fistfight thread

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Attempt no landings here

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah now it's the swordfight thread. Forgot the age difference, Grant probably would win the fistfight.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

That was very well put.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Iran did the revenge operation so slowly because they wanted to go through the UN first and let 3rd party countries take a side or not take a side; then Iran gave time to let regional neighboring countries take a side, especially the ones that have US bases (2 smaller and more neutral countries Qatar and Kuwait took the "don't get your fights near me" stand).

What Iran took time and set a low ceiling of the conflict. When you do it slowly, it minimizes the chance of military generals overstepping decision making for the political leaders.

I think it can serve as a escalation model in a potential Taiwan strait crisis.

Iran telegraphed the attack, allowed Israeli allies plenty of time to get into position, and used the minimum amount of missiles necessary to overwhelm their air defense and still land a few hits on a military target. Its a statement that Iran can hit Israel at any time and theres nothing Israel or its allies can do about it

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Am I right in assuming nothing about the whole "we gave just about everything in our stockpile to Ukraine and Israel" situation has changed in the last few months? What the gently caress would the USA even wage a ware against Iran with, rocks and sticks?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

SixteenShells posted:

Am I right in assuming nothing about the whole "we gave just about everything in our stockpile to Ukraine and Israel" situation has changed in the last few months? What the gently caress would the USA even wage a ware against Iran with, rocks and sticks?

It’s not that true, the US just foisted all the crap it doesn’t want on Ukraine plus some stuff they wanted tested and patted itself on the back about what a great ally and defender of freedom it is. You can’t give them enough to actually win, that defeats the purpose.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s not that true, the US just foisted all the crap it doesn’t want on Ukraine plus some stuff they wanted tested and patted itself on the back about what a great ally and defender of freedom it is. You can’t give them enough to actually win, that defeats the purpose.

There are no new M777s coming, for anyone, that's all gone. Ditto M109. Frankly, ditto 155mm shells.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The US is out of gear to fight a conventional ground war. Luckily, Israel was already incapable of fighting a conventional ground war so it doesnt matter. Any Israeli attack on Iran is going to be missiles and jets, which the US still has plenty of

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The US should have given all their tanks to Ukraine, they don't need them against China and Iran anyway. Your NATO tanks are supposed to be used on the European plain.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

the US during the lincoln administration was doing incredible feats of logistics that epic prussians wouldn't ever manage to do.

In retrospect this makes the author of the Harry Flashman books being so dismissive of it funnynand very obviously British

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

god i love consent manufacturing

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

The Oldest Man posted:

We just don't know why Iran launched an unprovoked and unsolicited attack. It's baffling really, no possible explanation. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

The second sentence literally answers the first, what the hell