Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cimber posted:

Israel seems to be treating us like an abusive spouse, slapping us around while telling us its for our own good because who else would love us.

You know how abusers are highly likely to have been abused in the past and just continue the cycle of violence? Israel is that at the societal level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Do you know anything about shipping insurance rates skyrocketing could have the same impact as shutting down the straits militarily?

Thwt was an old cefte theory.

Yes mostly.

Old poo poo buckets that are uninsurable or shady operators will still do it.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

You know how abusers are highly likely to have been abused in the past and just continue the cycle of violence? Israel is that at the societal level.

I can remove this if it's a derail/wrong thread but I disagree with this framing. Ethnic cohorts and societies aren't individuals and don't carry memories or trauma in the way individuals do, frankly the notion otherwise strikes me as very right-wing, as if there's some sort of collective German/Jewish/Israeli/Palestinian soul that can be warped.

Israel is a settler-colonist state whose politics have been dominated, for about 2 decades, by a head of state whose scope and style of corruption is comparable to Nixon or Trump, and which enjoys enormous soft power in the US because its state ideology and geography are highly appealing to Jews and many kinds of Christians. I think that explains the Netanyahu administration's mode of dealing with the US ("gently caress you, arm me") without claiming that he/his allies/his country have been driven mad by trauma.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 14, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I can remove this if it's a derail/wrong thread but I disagree with this framing. Ethnic cohorts and societies aren't individuals and don't carry memories or trauma in the way individuals do, frankly the notion otherwise strikes me as very right-wing, as if there's some sort of collective German/Jewish/Israeli/Palestinian soul that can be warped.

Israel is a settler-colonist state whose politics have been dominated, for about 2 decades, by a head of state whose scope and style of corruption is comparable to Nixon or Trump, and which enjoys enormous soft power in the US because its state ideology and geography are highly appealing to Jews and many kinds of Christians. I think that explains the Netanyahu administration's mode of dealing with the US ("gently caress you, arm me") without claiming that he/his allies/his country have been driven mad by trauma.

I think a better explanation is the fact that Israel's immigration policies, in the current-day, disproportionately attract right-wingers who've become devoted to religious-nationalist or settler-nationalist narratives. Extremist nationalists tend to have a hard time dealing with other countries, even nominal allies, on equal and respectful terms.

In the US, ultra-right-wing Jewish communities and the disproportionate political power they wield (due to being highly authoritarian, and therefore an extremely unified voting bloc) are often seen as an amusing curiosity or an annoying local issue. But the extremists who grow up in those communities or become attracted to those communities can easily emigrate to Israel any time they want.

That's not just a hypothetical, either. Meir Kahane, whose name is practically synonymous with violent Jewish-supremacist terrorism (to a degree that even Israeli society barely tolerates) was born and raised in New York City, where he founded the so-called "Jewish Defense League", a group dedicated to anti-Arab and anti-Soviet terrorism. It was only after he was convicted of various domestic terrorism charges that he emigrated to Israel. When he was eventually assassinated, it was while giving a speech in New York urging right-wing American Jews to emigrate to Israel. Kahane isn't the only one, either. Baruch Goldstein, perpetrator of probably the most infamous civilian anti-Arab terrorist attack in Israeli history, was a childhood friend of Kahane, who had grown up in NYC with him, had been a member of the JDL, and had emigrated to Israel a couple of years after Kahane himself did.

Of course, those are just a couple of prominent examples. But in general, nowadays much of Israel's Jewish immigration is well-off people migrating over from major powers for ideological reasons, and it's only natural that the people being attracted by Israel's nationalist and colonialist projects are nationalists and colonialists themselves. The dominance of Israel's right-wing has been assured by a steady influx of right-wing Jews from America and Europe.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The huge violent crime wave that started in late 2020 and continued through early 2023 seems to be abating.

Violent crime is still slightly higher than it was in 2019, but the over 30% increase that happened in 2020 has been mostly erased.

Murders have dropped an average of 20% in the 133 largest cities in America in 2024 compared to the same time period in 2023.

There are a few outliers:

- Memphis has only declined 3% from its high.

- Kansas City, Missouri has also only had a small decrease compared to 2023 (where they set a record for murder with 182).

- Boston had a very mild spike in violent crime compared to other cities and it is still down 82% compared to 2023. Boston is currently on track for a record low amount of murders - there have only been 2 in the city for all of 2024.

Boston had barely any rise in violent crime during the pandemic and now they are actually at a near historical low for murders. Is Boston doing something right with criminal justice/policing that the rest of the country is missing? Or is this a freak one-off occurrence?

Why is (most) of the country chilling out with all the murder in 2024 after 3 years of breaking the 30-year trend of falling violent crime during 2020 through 2023?

https://twitter.com/DKThomp/status/1779489650358563116

quote:

Homicides Are Plummeting in American Cities

Killings in cities including New York, Philadelphia and San Francisco are falling from their respective pandemic-era increases

Homicides in American cities are falling at the fastest pace in decades, bringing them close to levels they were at before a pandemic-era jump.

Nationwide, homicides dropped around 20% in 133 cities from the beginning of the year through the end of March compared with the same period in 2023, according to crime-data analyst Jeff Asher, who tabulated statistics from police departments across the country.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Has a good analysis of why violent crime spiked during the pandemic? Some things are pretty easy to understand, sadly, like domestic violence. Others less so.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Teen crime in particular seems to be on the rise here in Seattle/western WA. See teens in the news pretty often for running people over, shooting each other, stabbings, attacking people on public transit, using cars to break into shops, etc. That's just off the top of my head over the last few months.

Can't remember ever seeing so many teen criminals before, especially this violent.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mustang posted:

Teen crime in particular seems to be on the rise here in Seattle/western WA. See teens in the news pretty often for running people over, shooting each other, stabbings, attacking people on public transit, using cars to break into shops, etc. That's just off the top of my head over the last few months.

Can't remember ever seeing so many teen criminals before, especially this violent.

The overall homicide rate is down for Seattle in 2024 (after setting a record high in 2023). They had a surge of homicides at the beginning of the year, but there hasn't been a homicide in Seattle for over a month.

The data doesn't have any breakdown about youth violent crime specifically and the change. I would assume that since overall violent crime has gone down that youth violent crime has likely gone as well.

Most violent crime is done by people under 35, so it seems likely that youth violent crime hit a record high in 2023 and is declining in 2024 (while still being slightly higher than it was in 2019).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Committing crimes was a hot tiktok trend for a minute but now it's old and uncool

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Mustang posted:

I would greatly caution against using how often you see something on the news as an indicator for how frequently it is happening.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

haveblue posted:

Committing crimes was a hot tiktok trend for a minute but now it's old and uncool

POV: You are breaking and entering into a house in a new neighborhood.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Shooting Blanks posted:

Has a good analysis of why violent crime spiked during the pandemic? Some things are pretty easy to understand, sadly, like domestic violence. Others less so.

There have been several major attempts to figure out what happened, but there doesn't seem to be one clear thing. So far, the only things we know that contributed to a rise in violent crime, at least some amount, were:

- Pandemic madness/unspecified breakdown of social order/contract.

- Police dramatically reduced enforcement of many crimes during that period (partially because of covid and partially as a "protest")

- Kids weren't in school.

- Stress or mental health issues from isolation.

There are definitely other things that impacted it, but those are the things every attempt to measure it seems to determine had a statistically significant impact.

You would think that since people were supposed to be inside and household income rose during late 2020 and early 2021 that there wouldn't be opportunity or motive for more random shootings or murder, but instead it was an explosion. Domestic violence went up, but most of the homicides weren't against family members.

It's also very hard to quantify the impacts of the pandemic on social order in any concrete measurable way.

2009-2014 and 2020-2023 sort of broke everything we thought we knew about crime.

During the great recession, property crime and violent crime plummeted even as the economic situation for the average American got as bad as it hard been since the 1970's. During covid, the violence spiked at the point where household income was at its highest and people weren't even supposed to be near other people outside of their household.

We still don't know exactly why 2009-2014 worked out that way and 2020 might be a similar situation. It will probably be impossible to measure exactly what combination of things were what specific percentage responsible, but it seems like it was definitely not one specific thing.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 15, 2024

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Ethnic cohorts and societies aren't individuals and don't carry memories or trauma in the way individuals do,

This is very wrong. Since the society or ethnic clade is composed of individuals who carry memories and trauma, of course the society does, though the expression is a bit different since its a gestalt expression.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Boston had a very mild spike in violent crime compared to other cities and it is still down 82% compared to 2023. Boston is currently on track for a record low amount of murders - there have only been 2 in the city for all of 2024.

Boston had barely any rise in violent crime during the pandemic and now they are actually at a near historical low for murders. Is Boston doing something right with criminal justice/policing that the rest of the country is missing? Or is this a freak one-off occurrence?

From https://commonwealthbeacon.org/criminal-justice/in-remarkable-start-to-year-boston-has-had-only-2-homicides-in-2024/

quote:

A combination of factors has been credited for the figures, including strengthened police-community partnerships, a strong network of community-based groups working with young people most prone to violence, and outreach by faith leaders. At the center of the violence reduction in the mid-1990s, however, was a focused law enforcement strategy that involved identifying gang members known to be involved in gun violence and a delivering no-nonsense message that they could stop shooting and be steered to jobs and services, or feel the full weight of prosecutorial muscle.

The web of community organizations and city service providers working alongside police has evolved and changed shape over the years, but it has remained a more robust approach to violence prevention than what’s present in most other cities.

“Violence reduction is a team sport, and if the team is not working well together the team cannot succeed,” said Thomas Abt, who directs the Center for the Study and Practice of Violence Reduction at the University of Maryland. “Boston has a history of positive collaboration between police and community, between police and community service providers and public health workers.”

That plus the puritanism in the water :v:

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Unormal posted:

This is very wrong. Since the society or ethnic clade is composed of individuals who carry memories and trauma, of course the society does, though the expression is a bit different since its a gestalt expression.
I didn't say they don't carry memories or trauma, I said they don't carry memories or trauma in the way individuals do and you seem to agree with that ("the expression is a bit different"). Maybe we disagree on the extent of the difference - I think it's so profound that a "hurt people hurt people" analogy isn't helpful at all. You might as well say "Israel is made out of atoms, and sometimes atoms become unstable, so let's use that to think through why Israel is unstable." A molecule is very different from an atom and a society is very different from a person.

To think the Israeli state is an unreliable and exploitative ally for the US because those wacky Jews were clearly driven crazy by progroms, dhimmi status, or the Holocaust, and now they're evil - in my experience it's a very common way of talking and thinking about Israel. It's not only lazy, it engages the world by evaluating which ethnic cohorts or national identities have functional or dysfunctional collective psychologies rather than engaging the on-the-ground political-economic reality that makes each state act the way it does. It's right-wing.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 15, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Tennessee legislature has advanced a bill that would ban chemtrails

quote:

The bill forbids "intentional injection, release, or dispersion" of chemicals into the air.

It doesn't explicitly mention chemtrails, which conspiracy theorists believe are poisons spread by planes.

Instead it broadly prohibits "affecting temperature, weather, or the intensity of the sunlight".

The Republican-sponsored bill passed along party lines on Monday. If it is signed by Tennessee's governor, Republican Bill Lee, it will go into effect on 1 July.

The legislation's sponsor, Monty Fritts, called it "a very common-sense thing to do".

Although several lawmakers mentioned chemtrails while the bill was being discussed, during Monday's session Mr Fritts focused on cloud seeding.

"Everything that goes up must come down, and those chemicals that we knowingly and willingly inject into the atmosphere simply to control the weather or the climate are affecting our health," he said.

In a joking response, John Ray Clemmons, a Democrat from Nashville, introduced an amendment that would protect fictional beasts.

"This amendment would make sure that we are protecting yetis, or Sasquatch or Bigfoot, from whatever this conspiracy is that we're passing in this legislation," he said during debate.

Honestly it's free money for your nutbag constituents. They should also ban lizard people and sell them the rock that keeps tigers away.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

zoux posted:

Honestly it's free money for your nutbag constituents. They should also ban lizard people and sell them the rock that keeps tigers away.

Did Tennessee just ban crop dusting, fire fighting aircraft, and sky writing?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zoux posted:

Looking forward to seeing if this inadvertently fucks over farmers

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so what about the chemicals that come out of hydrocarbon powerplants or leaky hydrocarbon transport pipes?

also i dont think atmospheric air masses respect lines on a map.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

No it specifically bans releasing things from aircraft with regards to weather control:

TN legislation posted:

SUMMARY OF BILL AS AMENDED (014295): Prohibits the intentional injection, release, or dispersion, by any means, of chemicals, chemical compounds, substances, or apparatus within the borders of this state into the atmosphere with the express purpose of affecting temperature, weather, or the intensity of the sunlight

Mind control drug release is still legal in TN.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It only applies if you are doing it as part of a "geoengineering project" or chemicals "affecting temperature, weather, or the intensity of the sunlight".

They apparently were motivated to action by online conspiracy theories about secret government weather control machines and Biden's plan to block out the sun in areas inhabited by his political enemies.

quote:

In the debate over the Tennessee bill, lawmakers and witnesses cited a range of both reliable and debunked facts about geoengineering and weather modification, and at least one witness said she believed the White House was engaged in climate experiments but could not provide definitive proof.

The bill's backers were spurred on by a government report released last year on solar geoengineering, which is the idea of cooling the planet by reflecting sunlight back into space. The White House, though, has said that there are no plans "to establish a comprehensive research programme focused on solar radiation modification."

Several witnesses who testified before the Tennessee legislature cited debunked conspiracy theories or speculated about secret government geoengineering programmes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh that's an old article, apparently the governor has signed the bill

Also it's really hard to find bill text on the TN legislative portal. Also the caption to that bill doesn't match the reporting on the bill, but those all reference that bill number as the legislation. It's some kind of....conspiracy

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm dissatisfied this does nothing to curtail HAARP

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lawrencehurley/status/1779878011120017525

Also: could be dying, could be on a all inclusive Bahamas vacation courtesy of a guy named Hancock Talmadge.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm dissatisfied this does nothing to curtail HAARP

I just want to link this as my entire contribution to the conversation.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mustang posted:

Iirc the best predictor of whether someone thinks violent crime is increasing is how much local news they watch, not whether crime is actually increasing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

Also: could be dying, could be on a all inclusive Bahamas vacation courtesy of a guy named Hancock Talmadge.

Harlan Crow's yacht was supposed to put in at Baltimore but welp

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I mean weather control via releasing stuff from planes is definitely something that’s been done, and recently. I have no idea if the chemicals cause any harm or have been used in Tennessee but it’s not a conspiracy theory, it’s stuff that actually been tried.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

there was some really good coverage of this in 2016 from, of all places, Comedy Central in "Jeff Ross Roasts Cops"

It's genuinely worth a watch

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I mean weather control via releasing stuff from planes is definitely something that’s been done, and recently. I have no idea if the chemicals cause any harm or have been used in Tennessee but it’s not a conspiracy theory, it’s stuff that actually been tried.

Yeah, the sponsors are pretending it's cloud seeding stuff, but the witness list was full of conspiracy theorists. It's absolutely directed at crackpots.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Worst wishes in this trying time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Would be extremely funny if a conservative justice unexpectedly croaking in an election year throws the presidential race into chaos for the second time in a decade (so it's probably not going to happen)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AnthonyMKreis/status/1779912009909149767

Trump's falling asleep in the middle of his criminal hush money trial: here's why that's bad for Joe Biden

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Here's hoping it's actually a stroke.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Good.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

haveblue posted:

Would be extremely funny if a conservative justice unexpectedly croaking in an election year throws the presidential race into chaos for the second time in a decade (so it's probably not going to happen)

Biden has the senate so if Thomas croaks it would get filled immediately. The trouble would be if Biden wins but loses the senate and Thomas croaks after, because I think they’d let the seat be open 2-4 years.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Clarence Thomas will live long enough for a Republican majority to return to the Senate before he resigns or dies.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Star Man posted:

Clarence Thomas will live long enough for a Republican majority to return to the Senate before he resigns or dies.

And if he doesn't, his wife will Weekend at Bernie's him until so.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

C. Everett Koop posted:

And if he doesn't, his wife will Weekend at Bernie's him until so.

Are there any laws saying a judge must be alive to serve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
If Thomas dies Biden is ethically and professionally obligated to take the funniest option available to him and nominate Anita Hill.