Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Scathach posted:

A what discussion? Okay now I'm confused af.

Israel/Palestine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This thread may now be browsed exclusively on Appletalk networks

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

AITAH for wanting to divorce my wife because she got a reduction?

Babe your disgusting b-cups, scars, and desire to control your own body are giving me the ick and violating my boundaries of you not being a hot piece of rear end. You are creating an abusive gaslighting dynamic that violates my autonomy.

Oh hey! This piece of poo poo wrote an update!

(Update) AITAH for esnting to divorce my wife for getting a reduction?

quote:

I want to start off by saying those of you who commented some version of "did you only marry her boobs or her?" Go to hell. Actually, get a course on phonics, then go to hell. If that's all you got from the post then I can only hope you don't have kids to pass your low IQs down to.

I have done some soul searching and have evaluated my true feelings on the matter. After speaking with a few people that I trust and my therapist, I am realizing that my issue wasn't JUST with the reduction. Does it suck? Sure, but I'll live. I sat down with my therapist and understand that I have four main issues with her decision to get the procedure.

My wife allowed outside influences to affect our marriage in an irreversible way.

The constant pushing of my boundaries during sex.

The lack of communication beforehand.

The lack of communication after I rejected her advances.

I gave it a week and have come to the conclusion that I can't let these feelings go. If I can't trust that she won't change her body because a creepy dude gives her a look then how am I supposed to trust her with bigger poo poo like having kids or buying a house? I asked if she felt happier after the procedure, and she said that she doesn't. I asked if she felt like she was stared at less, she said that she feels like she gets the same amount of looks. I asked if she felt like she got her money's worth, I didnt get an answer for that one. So the whole thing has been a failure. In essence, this was a big waste of time, money, effort, and stress. My friend put me in contact with his lawyer so done is done, I suppose. She can keep everything, I just want the cat.

Finally, for those of you that told me to leave her so she can find someone who actually loves her, you got it. I'm done with her.

In case anyone was on his side even the slightest. Don't worry, he's arguing with every commenter as well.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

hawowanlawow posted:

it's unethical to leave a huge dumbass to their own devices in a foreign country

Worse, an American. The worst kind of dumbass to leave to their own devices in a foreign country. The rest of us Anglos will eventually just find our way back to some Irish bar like migratory birds until the embassy calls but the average Yank will just go round in circles in an Uber until they bankrupt themselves.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Update on the ticket story:

No surprises to anyone except Pantaloon Pontiff, who is presumably still trying to figure out how she got on the plane after this controlling bastard stole her ticket and imprisoned her in italy

r/relationships: but, ironically, you're the assholes.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

el dingo posted:

You may not discuss the Ip Man movies in this thread

Death to Nippon China #1 bitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv9ygN2B8WU

Teacher [40sF] called me[19F] out in front of the class, asking if I am an adult and making me admit I don't have $10 to spend on school supplies

quote:

This isn't the most important or dramatic thing ever, but I'm really upset right now and I don't know what to do.
I'm in a figure sculpting class at my community college, and I've been having a hard time. I've never worked in clay before, let alone made figure sculptures out of it. Good clay was expensive at the store she recommended we go to, and it was a large heavy block so I was under the impression we didn't need to buy more. I just smashed all of my work when we were done, I didn't like them anyway.
There has been a piece here and there where my teacher (I'll say Mary) has asked if I want to fire them (put them in a furnace to harden them). I always said no, I need the clay from the piece because I can't afford to buy more. She assured me she has recycled clay, that I should keep some of my pieces, but I didn't want to.
I'm also having a hard time financially. I work a job slightly above min wage, and I'm not given many hours. I'm struggling at that job, too, and that's been a great source of stress for me.
I haven't been the biggest fan of Mary so far. She hasn't taught this class before, and for people who've never used clay in their life, I didn't feel like she explained enough about the medium, she just threw us in and got irritated when we didn't know what we were doing. When we ask for help (even if we don't ask), she shoves you aside and works on your piece. This includes tearing it out, using tools to scratch at the clay, smashing more clay on to whatever you were working on. In my figure drawing class, the most that teacher would do was gesture with her finger what needed to be done. That's all. Mary also has given people poo poo for the whole semester. People ask innocent questions, and she answers in a mocking way. I was sitting in a chair once, because my clay was set up on something short, and she ranted about how we shouldn't be lazy and our sculptures aren't going to be good and we aren't good artists if we aren't standing with the model. She tried to make my sculpting stand taller, but then it was too tall, so I ended up sitting the rest of the class so I could reach my piece. Now, with the added impression that I'm lazy. She then said I should have gotten there earlier so I could get a sculpting stand that worked.
Today, someone ran out of their clay. She has always said she has recycled clay, so I don't think anyone thought it would be a huge deal. After giving her a hard time, she went to check and came back saying she was out of recycled clay. She asked "do your other art classes ask you to buy supplies?" People said yes. "Then it's no different here, you need to come to class prepared." Which is fine, but the bag of clay I bought at the beginning of the semester was $20. I felt bad for the girl who had no clay now, but when I went to get my clay out I found that it had hardened in my locker over the weekend. I've seen her help someone whose clay hardened before, so I asked for her help.
She gets PISSED. She goes to say something to me, stops, then starts pacing around the room. "Are you guys adults? Like, are you? I am DONE talking to you guys about your clay, you need to grow up and sort it out yourself. You need to go buy more clay, it's $10 at the bookstore." I never knew it was cheaper there, but I literally have no money this week. She looks at me and tells me specifically to go buy more clay. I ask, "right now?" She says, "unless you're just going to sit there all day."
I say I literally do not have the money to go buy clay. She stops, bends over, makes a dramatic frustrated noise and paces around some more. I'm bewildered because it's not like I KNEW my clay would be hard when I came back to class. I say I'm sorry, and she comes back asking if me and the other girl can share a bag of clay. The other girl says yes, and Mary says she is going to front us the money and buy us some clay, then storms out.
I'm just sitting there, people staring at me and I can feel myself start to tear up. I usually try to be humorous in awkward situations, but when I went to speak the only thing I could say was "great, I just had to admit to everyone that I don't have ten loving dollars." I started to actually cry, so I just muttered that I should just leave, and grabbed my stuff. People said not to, that she was getting more clay, that they could give me money, but that just upset me more and I didn't want Mary to come back to me sobbing. I left.
I realized I left my partner without someone to sculpt. I feel really bad, but I just didn't want to be around Mary anymore, and I didn't want to take anything from her. I would rather skip a day than owe her money. It also loving sucks to know that I was once making good money at my last jobs, but I made the stupid decision of trying to find a non-seasonal job and now I'm loving broke. I've been trying my hardest to keep up having a job and going to school, but I'm really struggling this semester and this didn't help.
I guess my question is now what do I do? I really don't want to face her again, and silently pretend nothing happened, but I would be wasting the entire semester so far to drop the class now. My fiancé gets paid tomorrow, so if I ask him for money he will buy me more clay, but I feel lovely already asking him to pay for my share of the bills. And I don't want to come to class with a bag of new clay, because knowing her she would call me out saying I had the money all along. This is a class that I needed to get a certificate here, and as far as I know she's the only one who teaches it. What do I do?
TLDR: Teacher calls me out in front of everyone for not having clay (even though I did, it just hardened). Tells me to buy more, I have to admit that I don't have $10. She gets pissed and asks if I'm an adult, insinuates that I'm irresponsible and says she will buy me clay and I can pay her later. I get upset and leave. What do?

Update

quote:

Okay. I had no idea so many people would care so much about clay, I thought I would get like two comments. This really blew up. Thank you to everyone who commented, to all the people who told me how the process works, and for all of the general tips regarding clay, student financial aid, and general finances. A lot of people took time to read my stupid ramblings and type up a reply. I'm grateful.
I also want to thank every single one of you who offered to buy me clay. You are all the kindest, most generous people ever. I just wouldn't feel right taking money to buy clay, when I don't even enjoy the medium. I also will go into more details below, but I'm not going to be taking the class anymore.
To all of you who agreed with Mary and said that I'm not an adult because:
I don't have $10
I wasn't prepared coming to class (Gosh, if only I was psychic and knew my clay hardened)
I cried when someone yelled at me for not having money
I'm lying about not having any money, and I just wanted to be a bitch to my teacher
I would like to say that I'm glad none of you has ever been in this situation before. I put it clearly in my post (and my replies) that I didn't have $10 that day. I have money now! Fiance got paid, we're fluuuuuuuuuush with cash! I mean not really, but still. We're good! If I wanted to buy a poo poo ton of clay right now, I could. It just so happened that I ran out of money after paying the bills in the middle of the month, and I didn't see how it was a big deal because I wasn't expecting any purchases. It was probably a period of 3 or 4 days where I was OUT of money, and at that point it's easy to just hold out until one of us gets paid. I have an apartment, a computer, my bills are paid and I have food. I would say I am adulting, just by definition. For everyone telling me I need to sort that out, I AM. FFS I AM. Fiance got a better job, I'm looking for a better job. I KNOW I'M NOT IN THE BEST SITUATION, I'M WORKING TO FIX IT. JEEZ.
For the clay, I stored it in my locker the entire semester with no problems so far. The outside would maybe be a little stiff, but being new to clay (at least, new to fancy high-fire sculpting clay), I thought it was normal. I would just spray it and squish it until it was manageable. This was the first time the entire block felt like a rock, and I couldn't move much of the clay. I didn't know what the procedure was here, so to all of you saying that it's easy to google and find out, guess who doesn't like phones in her class? Also, why would I google it when I have a supposed clay expert two feet from me? I picked up my bag, felt the clay, and asked Mary for help because my clay was hard. That was it. I didn't say, "Mary. My clay is ruined. Get me new clay or I'm not participating in your stupid class." I also wasn't taking her away from her lesson, because she had just finished demonstrating something. People were picking up their clay and getting started on the assignment, so I wasn't taking her away from my other classmates and I certainly wasn't disturbing anyone. According to many of the ceramicists(?) here on reddit, hard clay is an easy fix. She could have showed me how to fix the clay. She could have TOLD me how to fix the clay, and left me to do it on my own. She could have told me that without clay, I can't participate and my grade will be docked. She could have simply said, "Can you go get more clay?" And I would have probably said "Not today, but if you want I can model for my partner today and I'll have clay on Thursday."
So on to the update. I spoke to my other trusted teacher, who happens to be the chair of my major's department. I came up to him and said, "I know it's not YOUR department, but as a department chair, I was wondering if I could get your advice. It's about a teacher." And he just gestured me outside to where we could talk. At first I tried to be vague, and not single out who the teacher was since it's not his department, but I was struggling with what I was trying to say. He asked me to tell him who it was and what happened, so I did. I teared up a little bit, felt stupid, but he totally validated my feelings. He said she was unprofessional and classless, that she should NOT have done what she did. He said I confirmed what he already thought of the teacher. He also told me (he used to go to school for ceramics) that she is not even using the right clay for figure sculpture. She's using ceramics clay, and it isn't necessary or easy when it comes to sculpting people.
I asked what I should do, because it's his certificate I'm taking the class for. He told me we would find some other alternative for those credits, or I could wait it out until the department takes the class from her and gives it to someone who deserves it. He advised that I should drop the class, because as a teacher, you start to be in danger when your enrollment drops. You get looked at, you get questioned, evaluated. He basically said, gently caress her. If she's going to be that unstable and treat me like that, she doesn't deserve to have me in her classroom. She thinks she's teaching us some big life lesson when she gets mad about a late student, or when she yells at us about having hard clay, but she forgets where she is. A community college. We're there to learn, to try and better ourselves, and we're doing it despite being in a worse-off financial position. I shouldn't let someone like her discourage me from getting a certificate or a degree. So I asked if a complaint would make any sort of difference, and he just said it wouldn't. Unless there are a thousand complaints, then nothing will be done. Her file will be flagged, but unless it's a pattern, then she won't be fired. Being new to the class, however, might get through enough to where they take the class from her. He also told me that if he hears any other student having problems with her class like this, he will take it off of his certificate and replace it with something else. This would hurt her, because over half of those students were in there because of the same certificate I was.
When I got home, I got an email from her. It said:
"Teacherthrowaway1313
I am so sorry if I embarrassed you in front of the class. Please accept my apology"
Heartfelt, right?
So basically I'm writing a letter to the dean and dropping the class. I know a lot of you said how it would be cowardly of me, how I should walk back in with my head held high, and pretend that she can't hurt me, but this was the final straw. I was not learning anything from her class. When it started, I was really excited to learn how to work in clay and how to make little sculptures, to learn about more sculptors and their techniques, and none of that has happened. The only reason I was there was a certificate, and if I don't have to go back, I don't want to waste my time on her. I can spend my time focusing on my other classes and looking for a better job ;) I've been working on standing up for myself more (my roommate's friends wanted to crash on my couch for a few days, which of course turned into wanting to stay for a few months, and I shut that down before he was even done talking. Set boundaries, set expectations. Felt like a bitch, but a boss rear end bitch). You win some, you lose some. Next time someone starts to yell in my face, hopefully I won't turn red and stutter apologies. Let them know it's not okay to talk to me like that, and give them a chance to correct themselves. But this time, I feel better just leaving it behind me. Thanks for your help, /r/relationships, you guys are cool :)
TLDR: Writing a letter to the dean, dropping the class. Finding alternative credits for my certificate, don't have to deal with Ms. Crazypants anymore. Also, am now flush with cash.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Israel/Palestine

Oooooh okay thanks for the clarification. My brain is just not with it today.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

AITA For Teaching a Kid Colors?

quote:

I (27F) am a preschool teacher. I've developed habits throughout the years that bleed into my every day life. One thing I do in my classroom is ask the kids to tell me the color of everything I hold, even if the lesson isn't about colors. I've found that not only is it a good way to learn, it also helps to get their attention. So I find myself doing this to every kid I meet outside of work too. My nieces and nephews, my friend's kids. I just can't break the habit. It's never been an issue, I didn't even think it could be. Until this past weekend.

My boyfriend (28M) took me to see his family this weekend. His sister (32F) has a two year old. I've only briefly met her once before this, so I'm not super familiar with them. While we were all sitting on the couch talking, the two year old came and sat in between my boyfriend and I and showed us one of her books. We started reading it to her and while we were, I started asking her the colors of the animals in the book. If she didn't know a color, I would try to help her out. My boyfriend was too.

After about 10 minutes of this, my boyfriend's sister got up and scooped her daughter away from us. She then started yelling at me and said it was inappropriate to give her daughter a "test" right now. And just because I'm a teacher, doesn't mean I'm allowed to do that. I honestly just sat there agape because I was so shocked. I never had a parent react like this before. Before I could say anything, my boyfriend started defending me explaining that we weren't testing her, we were just reading her book and pointing out the colors. It got heated and they started yelling. I told him let's just go because it's not good to talk like that around a kid.

I'm just wondering if maybe she's right? Is it inappropriate of me to teach kids stuff when the parents don't ask me? I've never experienced a reaction like this and it has me thinking. I'm around kids for 10 hours a day, it's hard to turn that part of myself off but maybe I should seriously start trying harder. To be clear, her daughter wasn't getting frustrated or anything like that. She was having fun. If the questions about the colors were stressing her out, I would've stopped immediately. AITA?

Also, in a more readable form:

Teacher [40sF] called me[19F] out in front of the class, asking if I am an adult and making me admit I don't have $10 to spend on school supplies

quote:

This isn't the most important or dramatic thing ever, but I'm really upset right now and I don't know what to do.

I'm in a figure sculpting class at my community college, and I've been having a hard time. I've never worked in clay before, let alone made figure sculptures out of it. Good clay was expensive at the store she recommended we go to, and it was a large heavy block so I was under the impression we didn't need to buy more. I just smashed all of my work when we were done, I didn't like them anyway.

There has been a piece here and there where my teacher (I'll say Mary) has asked if I want to fire them (put them in a furnace to harden them). I always said no, I need the clay from the piece because I can't afford to buy more. She assured me she has recycled clay, that I should keep some of my pieces, but I didn't want to.

I'm also having a hard time financially. I work a job slightly above min wage, and I'm not given many hours. I'm struggling at that job, too, and that's been a great source of stress for me.

I haven't been the biggest fan of Mary so far. She hasn't taught this class before, and for people who've never used clay in their life, I didn't feel like she explained enough about the medium, she just threw us in and got irritated when we didn't know what we were doing. When we ask for help (even if we don't ask), she shoves you aside and works on your piece. This includes tearing it out, using tools to scratch at the clay, smashing more clay on to whatever you were working on. In my figure drawing class, the most that teacher would do was gesture with her finger what needed to be done. That's all. Mary also has given people poo poo for the whole semester. People ask innocent questions, and she answers in a mocking way. I was sitting in a chair once, because my clay was set up on something short, and she ranted about how we shouldn't be lazy and our sculptures aren't going to be good and we aren't good artists if we aren't standing with the model. She tried to make my sculpting stand taller, but then it was too tall, so I ended up sitting the rest of the class so I could reach my piece. Now, with the added impression that I'm lazy. She then said I should have gotten there earlier so I could get a sculpting stand that worked.

Today, someone ran out of their clay. She has always said she has recycled clay, so I don't think anyone thought it would be a huge deal. After giving her a hard time, she went to check and came back saying she was out of recycled clay. She asked "do your other art classes ask you to buy supplies?" People said yes. "Then it's no different here, you need to come to class prepared." Which is fine, but the bag of clay I bought at the beginning of the semester was $20. I felt bad for the girl who had no clay now, but when I went to get my clay out I found that it had hardened in my locker over the weekend. I've seen her help someone whose clay hardened before, so I asked for her help.

She gets PISSED. She goes to say something to me, stops, then starts pacing around the room. "Are you guys adults? Like, are you? I am DONE talking to you guys about your clay, you need to grow up and sort it out yourself. You need to go buy more clay, it's $10 at the bookstore." I never knew it was cheaper there, but I literally have no money this week. She looks at me and tells me specifically to go buy more clay. I ask, "right now?" She says, "unless you're just going to sit there all day."

I say I literally do not have the money to go buy clay. She stops, bends over, makes a dramatic frustrated noise and paces around some more. I'm bewildered because it's not like I KNEW my clay would be hard when I came back to class. I say I'm sorry, and she comes back asking if me and the other girl can share a bag of clay. The other girl says yes, and Mary says she is going to front us the money and buy us some clay, then storms out.

I'm just sitting there, people staring at me and I can feel myself start to tear up. I usually try to be humorous in awkward situations, but when I went to speak the only thing I could say was "great, I just had to admit to everyone that I don't have ten loving dollars." I started to actually cry, so I just muttered that I should just leave, and grabbed my stuff. People said not to, that she was getting more clay, that they could give me money, but that just upset me more and I didn't want Mary to come back to me sobbing. I left.

I realized I left my partner without someone to sculpt. I feel really bad, but I just didn't want to be around Mary anymore, and I didn't want to take anything from her. I would rather skip a day than owe her money. It also loving sucks to know that I was once making good money at my last jobs, but I made the stupid decision of trying to find a non-seasonal job and now I'm loving broke. I've been trying my hardest to keep up having a job and going to school, but I'm really struggling this semester and this didn't help.

I guess my question is now what do I do? I really don't want to face her again, and silently pretend nothing happened, but I would be wasting the entire semester so far to drop the class now. My fiancé gets paid tomorrow, so if I ask him for money he will buy me more clay, but I feel lovely already asking him to pay for my share of the bills. And I don't want to come to class with a bag of new clay, because knowing her she would call me out saying I had the money all along. This is a class that I needed to get a certificate here, and as far as I know she's the only one who teaches it. What do I do?

TLDR: Teacher calls me out in front of everyone for not having clay (even though I did, it just hardened). Tells me to buy more, I have to admit that I don't have $10. She gets pissed and asks if I'm an adult, insinuates that I'm irresponsible and says she will buy me clay and I can pay her later. I get upset and leave. What do?

Update:

quote:

Okay. I had no idea so many people would care so much about clay, I thought I would get like two comments. This really blew up. Thank you to everyone who commented, to all the people who told me how the process works, and for all of the general tips regarding clay, student financial aid, and general finances. A lot of people took time to read my stupid ramblings and type up a reply. I'm grateful.

I also want to thank every single one of you who offered to buy me clay. You are all the kindest, most generous people ever. I just wouldn't feel right taking money to buy clay, when I don't even enjoy the medium. I also will go into more details below, but I'm not going to be taking the class anymore.

To all of you who agreed with Mary and said that I'm not an adult because:

1. I don't have $10
2. I wasn't prepared coming to class (Gosh, if only I was psychic and knew my clay hardened)
3. I cried when someone yelled at me for not having money
4. I'm lying about not having any money, and I just wanted to be a bitch to my teacher

I would like to say that I'm glad none of you has ever been in this situation before. I put it clearly in my post (and my replies) that I didn't have $10 that day. I have money now! Fiance got paid, we're fluuuuuuuuuush with cash! I mean not really, but still. We're good! If I wanted to buy a poo poo ton of clay right now, I could. It just so happened that I ran out of money after paying the bills in the middle of the month, and I didn't see how it was a big deal because I wasn't expecting any purchases. It was probably a period of 3 or 4 days where I was OUT of money, and at that point it's easy to just hold out until one of us gets paid. I have an apartment, a computer, my bills are paid and I have food. I would say I am adulting, just by definition. For everyone telling me I need to sort that out, I AM. FFS I AM. Fiance got a better job, I'm looking for a better job. I KNOW I'M NOT IN THE BEST SITUATION, I'M WORKING TO FIX IT. JEEZ.

For the clay, I stored it in my locker the entire semester with no problems so far. The outside would maybe be a little stiff, but being new to clay (at least, new to fancy high-fire sculpting clay), I thought it was normal. I would just spray it and squish it until it was manageable. This was the first time the entire block felt like a rock, and I couldn't move much of the clay. I didn't know what the procedure was here, so to all of you saying that it's easy to google and find out, guess who doesn't like phones in her class? Also, why would I google it when I have a supposed clay expert two feet from me? I picked up my bag, felt the clay, and asked Mary for help because my clay was hard. That was it. I didn't say, "Mary. My clay is ruined. Get me new clay or I'm not participating in your stupid class." I also wasn't taking her away from her lesson, because she had just finished demonstrating something. People were picking up their clay and getting started on the assignment, so I wasn't taking her away from my other classmates and I certainly wasn't disturbing anyone. According to many of the ceramicists(?) here on reddit, hard clay is an easy fix. She could have showed me how to fix the clay. She could have TOLD me how to fix the clay, and left me to do it on my own. She could have told me that without clay, I can't participate and my grade will be docked. She could have simply said, "Can you go get more clay?" And I would have probably said "Not today, but if you want I can model for my partner today and I'll have clay on Thursday."

So on to the update. I spoke to my other trusted teacher, who happens to be the chair of my major's department. I came up to him and said, "I know it's not YOUR department, but as a department chair, I was wondering if I could get your advice. It's about a teacher." And he just gestured me outside to where we could talk. At first I tried to be vague, and not single out who the teacher was since it's not his department, but I was struggling with what I was trying to say. He asked me to tell him who it was and what happened, so I did. I teared up a little bit, felt stupid, but he totally validated my feelings. He said she was unprofessional and classless, that she should NOT have done what she did. He said I confirmed what he already thought of the teacher. He also told me (he used to go to school for ceramics) that she is not even using the right clay for figure sculpture. She's using ceramics clay, and it isn't necessary or easy when it comes to sculpting people.

I asked what I should do, because it's his certificate I'm taking the class for. He told me we would find some other alternative for those credits, or I could wait it out until the department takes the class from her and gives it to someone who deserves it. He advised that I should drop the class, because as a teacher, you start to be in danger when your enrollment drops. You get looked at, you get questioned, evaluated. He basically said, gently caress her. If she's going to be that unstable and treat me like that, she doesn't deserve to have me in her classroom. She thinks she's teaching us some big life lesson when she gets mad about a late student, or when she yells at us about having hard clay, but she forgets where she is. A community college. We're there to learn, to try and better ourselves, and we're doing it despite being in a worse-off financial position. I shouldn't let someone like her discourage me from getting a certificate or a degree. So I asked if a complaint would make any sort of difference, and he just said it wouldn't. Unless there are a thousand complaints, then nothing will be done. Her file will be flagged, but unless it's a pattern, then she won't be fired. Being new to the class, however, might get through enough to where they take the class from her. He also told me that if he hears any other student having problems with her class like this, he will take it off of his certificate and replace it with something else. This would hurt her, because over half of those students were in there because of the same certificate I was.

When I got home, I got an email from her. It said:

"Teacherthrowaway1313
I am so sorry if I embarrassed you in front of the class. Please accept my apology"

Heartfelt, right?

So basically I'm writing a letter to the dean and dropping the class. I know a lot of you said how it would be cowardly of me, how I should walk back in with my head held high, and pretend that she can't hurt me, but this was the final straw. I was not learning anything from her class. When it started, I was really excited to learn how to work in clay and how to make little sculptures, to learn about more sculptors and their techniques, and none of that has happened. The only reason I was there was a certificate, and if I don't have to go back, I don't want to waste my time on her. I can spend my time focusing on my other classes and looking for a better job ;) I've been working on standing up for myself more (my roommate's friends wanted to crash on my couch for a few days, which of course turned into wanting to stay for a few months, and I shut that down before he was even done talking. Set boundaries, set expectations. Felt like a bitch, but a boss rear end bitch). You win some, you lose some. Next time someone starts to yell in my face, hopefully I won't turn red and stutter apologies. Let them know it's not okay to talk to me like that, and give them a chance to correct themselves. But this time, I feel better just leaving it behind me. Thanks for your help, /r/relationships, you guys are cool :)

TLDR: Writing a letter to the dean, dropping the class. Finding alternative credits for my certificate, don't have to deal with Ms. Crazypants anymore. Also, am now flush with cash.

Give me a Tuesday probe if you want, but I guarantee I'm not the only one who isn't reading the walls of text with no blank lines between paragraphs.

mystes
May 31, 2006

AITA For Teaching a Kid Colors?
Either the sister is nuts or she is color blind and has a ton of trauma about people getting mad at her for misidentifying colors from her childhood

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Give me a Tuesday probe if you want, but I guarantee I'm not the only one who isn't reading the walls of text with no blank lines between paragraphs.

Don't worry about it, I appreciate it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
AITA for refusing to do all household chores on days when my wife works and I don’t?

quote:

My wife [33/F] and I [32/M] have been together for 7 years and married for a year and a half now. My wife has been working 9-5 ever since we met. My work has me traveling for 60-70% of the year. I usually take my 2-3 days off in the midst of my travels to go back home and be with my wife.

The natural rhythm that we fell into, or at least I thought was natural, was that when I'm not home she basically does all the cooking, cleaning, laundry, taking care of pets, and any other chores that come up. She uses her own money to buy things she needs when I'm not there and I use my own money when traveling. We split the cost of the house we bought. When I'm home I do half the chores while she does half.

Before we got married, she started working from home full-time. Last week she brought up how she feels that her doing chores on days she work while I lay around for hours instead of doing all the chores is unfair and that it needs to change. Basically, she wants me to do all the chores while she works and that we split chores that only come up later during the day between us (like making dinner, washing dinner plates, feeding and cleaning up after the pets, etc..).

I think that is unfair because I technically work more than her, my work is just not traditional, so i't not like I'm a stay-at-home spouse who can only contribute to the household by doing all the chores. Plus, when traveling, I'm usually working 14 hours a day and I don't have "weekends" like she does. When I have a few days off, I come back home and share all the chores with her. And on the month or two I have off I come back home and share the chores evenly.

When I started breaking it all apart like I did here she went on about how being tit for tat in marriage is a bad thing and I should be flexible. She says it is inconsiderate of me to do half the chores when I have enough time to do all of them way before she gets off work and that I expect her to do the rest with the time she has left of the day. I then reminded her that half the chores only exist because of her choices.

When buying a house she insisted on a 4 bedroom with a huge backyard. I pay for half even though I'm living there less than 6 months every year. I was never fond of pets, but she insisted on getting them because she gets lonely so we went ahead and adopted the first and now have 2 dogs and a cat. I'm a minimalist, mostly became that way because of my job, and she buys so much stuff to decorate with house. Every inch of the floors and walls is covered with something. I brought up all this to show her that her decisions are why we have so many chores to do during one day. She got upset and told me to just forget her request. She's been very cold to me since then.

I would gladly offer to pay for a cleaning person to come over 5 days a week on days when I'm home, but I know she would refuse to hire one because of reasons related to her past.

AITA for refusing to comply with her request?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

oh jay posted:

Well, she didn't expect him to pay for the hotel, she just forgot about lodging altogether!

She was probably hoping to paratroop with the guy she met and gut shoved out.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Reddit seems to remove double newline characters

Consent: not sexy for some

My girlfriend is upset because I hesitated to have sex with her

quote:

I'm 36M and have been together with my 32F girlfriend for 3 months. This is my first relationship after losing my wife 5 years ago so I admit I took some time to get used to dating, especially since I hadn't been with anyone new since like 2010 when I started dating my wife.

We have had sex a couple of times and during those times, we've both been either sober or had a couple of drinks, nothing more. It's of course always been consensual.

Last night, we went to a friend's party where my girlfriend got super drunk, like she must have had about 8 drinks. I wasn't drinking that night and dropped her back to her place. Once in, she wanted to have sex. I did want to make sure she was okay with it, so asked her. She said yes of course. I asked again because I knew she was drunk and had had a very long day.

She then got super upset with me and started crying and yelling asking if I was stupid or didn't find her attractive. I said that's not the case and I just wanted to make sure she's really on board with it. She didn't believe me and made me leave, like literally kicked me out the door.

I called her this morning and she said that she was really offended last night. She said I made her feel like poo poo and if she says she wants it, she always means it. She then said she needs some time apart to think through things and how I made her feel.

Was I wrong for doing what I did, and how do I make it better?
TL;DR: Double checked that my drunk girlfriend really wanted to have sex. She felt offended and kicked me out as a result

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

quote:

like she must have had about 8 drinks.

Heh

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

quote:

I would gladly offer to pay for a cleaning person to come over 5 days a week on days when I'm home, but I know she would refuse to hire one because of reasons related to her past.

Reasons related to… butter activities?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I like to imagine that all aita posters are real and cross over, in some sort of posting cinematic universe

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Reddit seems to remove double newline characters

Consent: not sexy for some

My girlfriend is upset because I hesitated to have sex with her

Thank you, I appreciate the effort.

And holy loving poo poo, you find a guy that doesn't take advantage of a drunk woman and proceed to make him feel like he did something wrong.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Update on the ticket story
He was under the weather and stayed in for one evening and in that single evening she went out and found a brand new guy, LOL.

She moves fast, I'll give her that.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

FMguru posted:

He was under the weather and stayed in for one evening and in that single evening she went out and found a brand new guy, LOL.

She moves fast, I'll give her that.

Maybe she honestly thought that he wasn't going to make it?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm gonna put this whole thing in spoiler tags because it's :nms: for exactly the reason you will think when you read the title:

TIFU by letting my boyfriends horrific personal hygiene run our relationship

It gets better!

Look I know this is from awhile ago and Im way behind but. Fuckin gross.. my stomach turned reading this.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

And holy loving poo poo, you find a guy that doesn't take advantage of a drunk woman and proceed to make him feel like he did something wrong.

This is unfortunately pretty common from what I've seen.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Scathach posted:

A what discussion? Okay now I'm confused af.

israel/Palestine

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Intellectual property is a very touchy subject around here

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Tired of women disrespecting me and my knowledge of their anatomy

Denying people the right to use the bathroom is such an rear end in a top hat move.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

First they want you to pay for NordVPN, then they tell you to shut up about it :shrug:

mystes
May 31, 2006

EDIT: Also just a forewarning that an I/P discussion is not happening in this thread.

metachronos posted:

Denying people the right to use the bathroom is such an rear end in a top hat move.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Content!

AITA for walking out of a dinner after being accused of supporting incest?

quote:

Hey. I'm posting on here because I need people's opinions on this. It's so loving stupid and such a non-issue, (unless I'm wrong about that too) that turned into something bigger.

For reference, this happened on Thursday evening. We are all in our early 20s and all names are fake.

Thursday was our friend "Sarah's" birthday. To celebrate, our friend group decided to go out for dinner. There were about 10 of us. Everyone was in a good mood and it was really nice to just talk to everybody about whatever for hours, especially since I kind of had a stressful week.

Hours into the dinner, we landed on the topic of movies/TV shows that we were watching. Our friend "Amy" mentioned a show that I had also watched. As soon as she brought it up, I said that I really liked the show, and that the acting, writing and directing was top notch. "Mary" chimed in and said that she really didn't like the show and how she had been watching other things. Cool. To each their own. Mary then asked me how I felt about the main romantic pairing in the show. I responded that I liked it, and thought the romance was cute. This is where the drama started.

For context, I don't want to get too much into it because it might be confusing, but basically, the main romantic pairing is between the male lead and the female lead. There are some people who have interpreted that these characters to be related to each other. I do not. But I know that people are free to think whatever they want, and honestly thought that this topic was harmless. Well, I was wrong.

Mary took offense to me saying that I liked the romance. She asked me if I supported incest. I said of course not, as the characters are not related. She said that they ARE related and that me supporting their pairing is supporting incest. Mary then said that I should "educate" myself before saying "stupid poo poo". I was dumbfounded and thought she was joking but she was REALLY angry with me about this. She told me to rethink my values because supporting incest makes me a horrible person. I told her she was making harmful accusations over a TV show. Our other friends were telling her to stop, including Sarah, but she kept claiming that I was a disgusting incest supporter. She then claimed I was homophobic, since the male lead is bisexual but still ended up with a woman. Mary just wouldn't stop saying poo poo like this.

So here is where I may be the rear end in a top hat. I left Sarah's dinner. My friends were asking me to stay but I felt uncomfortable, so I paid for what I ordered and left. Many of my friends reached out to me on Friday to ask if I was okay. Some of them, while they understood why I was upset, said that it was wrong of me to leave Sarah's birthday dinner and that I should have just ignored what Mary was saying and stuck around. I feel like they may be right and that I may have ruined her birthday by getting up and leaving, but I felt like I couldn't stay because of Mary throwing accusations at me over something that doesn't matter.

The show in question: Loki, with the relationship being between Loki and Sylvie, his female alternate self from another timeline.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Quackles posted:

Content!

The show in question: Loki, with the relationship being between Loki and Sylvie, his female alternate self from another timeline.

Hasn't this been posted before?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

This will probably get me murdered, but I think you can like any fictional pairing you want.

Especially trans-dimensional selfcest.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The irony of complaining that someone's homophobic because a male bisexual character ended up with a woman is some delicious bullshit (and sadly far too common).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

metachronos posted:

Perhaps in the last iteration of the thread but I don't remember it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Neito posted:

The irony of complaining that someone's homophobic because a male bisexual character ended up with a woman is some delicious bullshit (and sadly far too common).

Loki's like the Dean, he makes gayness look like Mormonism. Dude had sex with a horse and it got him pregnant. Loki would absolutely have sex with a duplicate of himself.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

metachronos posted:

I'm sure I remember this but it may not have been from this thread

mystes
May 31, 2006

Quackles posted:

Content!

Did these people all meet each other on tumblr or something?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I once mentioned that I like Bojack Horseman and I got some really pointed questions about how I felt about the animal people having relationships with the human people.

I had honestly never thought about it before.

mystes
May 31, 2006

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I once mentioned that I like Bojack Horseman and I got some really pointed questions about how I felt about the animal people having relationships with the human people.

I had honestly never thought about it before.
You're never going to be a successful video essayist with that attitude

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

metachronos posted:

I think so, but if so it's been a while and it's good enough to rerun.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Kurieg posted:

AITA for refusing to pay for my girlfriend's plane ticket after she decided to stay longer on her trip without me?

I said I wouldn’t be paying for her new return ticket whenever she decides to come back. Now, she's upset, calling me unsupportive and selfish, and some of our friends are saying I'm being an a-hole because I left her stranded in a foreign country without financial help.

I hope these friends feel like poo poo, and are not trying to contort logic any further into supporting the blatantly guilty girlfriend.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

mystes posted:

Either the sister is nuts or she is color blind and has a ton of trauma about people getting mad at her for misidentifying colors from her childhood

Maybe the sister took a vow of silence as a teen because she wanted to be an air force test pilot, only to find out that she was colorblind (and thus unable to become a test pilot) shortly after losing her grandfather while on a road trip to a children's beauty pageant. We don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Quackles posted:

Content!

Mary has established dominance and is now leader of the group