Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

keep punching joe posted:

I don't think there has been any distinct fasion, music, or culture since about 2005 to be honest. Its just an endless mishmash of the 80s/90s being remixed. I think we're on like the 10th iteration of vaporwave now.

Grime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

my, what large bubbles you have, grandmother

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

the internet collapsed all of late-20th c. trends into one big blob.

You don't (yet) see Gen Alphas wearing tophats or evening jackets and such, but pretty much anything after 1955 is fair game for cultural remixing

I also think some things have actually stagnated. I was watching a youtube video a while back about older tech and the host argues that because a lot of tech problems are essentially "solved" now, we're at a point where companies keep putting out new products but they're generally worse than what came before because they won't just build "a good vaccum that lasts a long time and cleans carpets" but instead try to sell you an AI powered multi-function home dust ensolvenator or something. Where before you had single function machines that necessitated clever design to make them possible at all, instead everything converges on off-the-shelf tech that already exists in a new stupid shell with a useless gimmick tacked on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssob-7sGVWs&t=2748s

It feels like it describes quite a lot of stuff. The availability of computing and the internet does allow more creativity by individuals and getting access to that, but it feels like it's atrophied the stuff from bigger companies which still get to set the mainstream trends.

Even with fashion it feels like the limits of that are dictated by whatever can be thrown together quickly and cheaply in a horrible sweatshop somewhere. The method of production of culture feels like it's strangling the product.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 15, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dizzee Rascal won the Mercury prize in 2003

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

I did say since 2005, Boy In Da Corner came out in 2003 so arguably thats when Grime went mainstream, though you can probably draw a straight like from 90s jungle pirate radio and UK garage and pop acts like So Solid Crew to get there.

Dubstep as well, maybe not by that name but that sound and general vibe was already present at the turn of the century.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 15, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Musically, "pop" is pretty much a vacant signifier as it can run the gamut from the most bland paint-by-numbers pabulum to the most avant-garde and alienating stuff imaginable. Not sure how you plough a new furrow there - though I fear it will involve AI in some very terrible ways
Pop is the bourgeoisie of music, in the Marxian sense.

Not long ago in grand historical terms all new music was either creative license on folk music played down pubs or high art music commissioned by some Baron or Bishop to show off how good they were at commissioning music. Peasants and aristocrats.

After the romantic nationalism of the Springtime of Nations and industry creating a middle class there was an appetite for a lighter kind of music by the 1880s, which gets you 'pops orchestras' of professionals playing music without any strict artistic theme but for general enjoyment, and that coincidentally came about at the same time as people figured out how to literally industrialize music with wax and a needle.

I don't think there would be anything you could meaningfully call pop without that.

And now I want to change my time travel wish to "go back in time and show Eurovision to Nietzsche, causing him to go insane."

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

I don't think there has been any distinct fasion, music, or culture since about 2005 to be honest. Its just an endless mishmash of the 80s/90s being remixed. I think we're on like the 10th iteration of vaporwave now.

No one is really prepared to take a risk anymore. Easier to churn out generic stuff that will gain some sales profit. Doesn't matter if it's music, games, TV etc. Making a profit is more important than experimenting. This is why the 70's and 80's were awesome music decades with crazy fashion and haircuts. If it caught on then great. If not never mind.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

I've had this feeling for a long time, feels like society stopped advancing. I figured it was simply due to neoliberalism / late stage capitalism. Or maybe just me getting old.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It may also be because of the

Skarsnik posted:

Itt over 30s goons proclaim no one under 30 goes to pubs any more

They just don't go to the ones you do hth
effect. All the kids are using platforms that are away from legacy media now, and because none of them are looking to legacy media for news or lifestyle advice, that media has no reason to care about what they're doing unless it's giving nitrous to pitbulls to make them into zombie rappers or some poo poo, so there's just not going to be any of the new fashion trends even commented on.

I was vaguely aware of the whole Light/Dark Academia thing, which seems like it'd be right up the street of everyone from the Torygraph to Home & Garden but I don't think anyone cared.

e: Looks like the NYT and some actually academic outlets noticed it a while after.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

It does feel like the 20th century had a lot more stark variation in fashion

This feels like a distinctly male perspective. The 21st century has given us y2k, emo/scene kids, baddies, cottagecore and athleisure trends just off the top of my head.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Phrakusca posted:

Lol this reminded me of the first fifa ('94) where you could flee the ref when he was gonna card you. He'd just chase you indefinitely until you got bored the sibling you were playing with punched you .

ftfy

still did it every time though

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The lack of stark variety is probably more because rather than there being one or two subcultures that get turned into 'rival camps' and folk devils by the wider press there's a billion microaesthetics like Tomato Girl Summer and New Spanish Catholic Girl that run the gamut from hopeful to reactionary that just confuses everyone from older generations, who aren't specifically being told they should fear the tomatoes.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Good lord people music and culture has not stopped you’re all just old. Go listen to some 100 gecs and suck on a Lost Mary x

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

It may also be because of the

effect. All the kids are using platforms that are away from legacy media now, and because none of them are looking to legacy media for news or lifestyle advice, that media has no reason to care about what they're doing unless it's giving nitrous to pitbulls to make them into zombie rappers or some poo poo, so there's just not going to be any of the new fashion trends even commented on.

As someone in middle age, it's weird but kinda awesome/kinda horrifying when you go to an event that you think will be people like yourself but instead its packed with young folk who are clearly from Some Other Subculture that exists entirely separately to the kind of events you see on facebook/insta etc. I mean, its not cool feeling like Weird Old Dude at an event, but it's great knowing that all that stuff is going on and there's exciting poo poo happening when the stuff you yourself like is slowly fading away as people age out.

Edit: people my age trying to insist only the music from their youth is The Good Music is the most embarrassing thing. One of my IRL friends does this any time he finds someone younger to listen to him and it's exactly like my dad telling me that this Metallica band I liked as a teen wouldn't amount to much, now the Beatles there was a REAL band.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 15, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

Good lord people music and culture has not stopped you’re all just old. Go listen to some 100 gecs and suck on a Lost Mary x

I like 100 gecs! and often use them as an example of new interesting music, but... I don't actually think there's anything that new going on there. Not as much as some other hyperpop-adjacent stuff at least. Separately, someone like Pinkpantheress feels more like a sea-change in what we're calling legitimate music.

But yeah, the kids will probably figure it out, and we are all just ranting into our Sumerian clay tablets. I do think what Guav was alluding to about these subculture lacking the positive-feedback loop of media attention is probably the main difference I'm picking up on FWIW

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

This feels like a distinctly male perspective. The 21st century has given us y2k, emo/scene kids, baddies, cottagecore and athleisure trends just off the top of my head.

I admit I don't see an enormous amount of difference between emo/scene and just goth stuff. It seems like there is a lot of overlap, although I suppose both of those groups would argue that it's very different.

But I would also say that I've almost never seen people out in real life following discernable fashion trends. Everyone just seems like they're covered in the same nondescript stuff that's been floating around since I was a kid. While obviously there are people who lean into very distinct aesthetics I've never actually met anyone who did it IRL outside of specific events.

Men's fashion is just depressing and has been for my whole life, inaccessible to nonexistent and I still have to go to work looking like yer dad on the way to wetherspoons for a business casual lunch, utterly nauseating and I hate it.

If I look at pictures or film from the 20th century people look noticeably different, whereas if I want to date something post-2000 I'm looking at like, picture quality rather than what anyone actually looks like.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 15, 2024

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jakabite posted:

Not singing along to Blur’s Girls and Boys is a disgrace and Albarn was right to have a tantrum at the crowd of rich influencers he was for some reason playing for. Awful festival for bad people.

Jakabite posted:

:thunkher:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I can only handle 40-50 gecs at a time, 100 is way too much for me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

100 gecs sounds like what I think my parents thought my own generation’s unlistenable garbage music sounded like which is how I know I’m old now.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

I'd need to check the credits but I'm not sure they really made many songs.

OK, I'm wrong. They have Spice Girls writing credits on every loving track on their first two albums, & on the 3rd they have all 4 members credited on all but 1 song. And that has Brown, Bunton & Chisholm credits,. Not sure I believe it but I also don't know why people would give them credits they haven't earned (& the resulting publishing royalties) when they were nobodies. So perhaps that's just my prejudices against pop music. Well, no, not all pop music, but cynically manufactured pop music anyway.

When I was 20 I was living in a rented room in a big house on the Isle of Dogs belonging to a weird happy-clappy Christian family. One of the other tenants was a fella called Geoff who did session guitar on Victoria's audition tape. His accounts of her were not exactly complimentary and I remember him laughing about her getting song writing credits on their first album.

I also watched them filming some of the speedboat stuff from Spiceworld: The Movie and years later bought it on DVD to see if I was in the background of any scenes. I wasn't :smith:

My girlfriend at the time bumped into Jarvis Cocker riding a janky bicycle round Hammersmith and he stopped and spent a good 5 minutes chatting to her and was apparently a very nice person :unsmith:

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
For all the shade I could probably pore on it the whole PC Music/'Hyperpop' scene did really feel like a distinct sub culture to me & probably the last I'll interact with now I'm entering mid life.

It all ended for me when Sophie left us anyway.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

I can only handle 40-50 gecs at a time, 100 is way too much for me.

don't look up the name of their latest album then you'll have a heart attack

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Oh god Janis Ian set the romantic landscape for me - this came out when I was 15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMUz2TNMvL0

Janis Ian is one of the five best songwriters of all time and also a pro follow on social media. She's definitely lefty.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What about Gex 3D?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

OwlFancier posted:

I admit I don't see an enormous amount of difference between emo/scene and just goth stuff. It seems like there is a lot of overlap, although I suppose both of those groups would argue that it's very different.

But I would also say that I've almost never seen people out in real life following discernable fashion trends. Everyone just seems like they're covered in the same nondescript stuff that's been floating around since I was a kid. While obviously there are people who lean into very distinct aesthetics I've never actually met anyone who did it IRL outside of specific events.

Men's fashion is just depressing and has been for my whole life, inaccessible to nonexistent and I still have to go to work looking like yer dad on the way to wetherspoons for a business casual lunch, utterly nauseating and I hate it.

If I look at pictures or film from the 20th century people look noticeably different, whereas if I want to date something post-2000 I'm looking at like, picture quality rather than what anyone actually looks like.

there's a lot of decent mens fashion; just because you don't see it on tv all the time doesn't mean it doesn't exist tho. dieworkwear on twitter has become pretty famous for talking about it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jakabite posted:

I don't think people are saying culture has stopped. Because that's impossible. But it's different than it was pre-internet. You don't really get vaguely different regional scenes like you did decades ago, & by the same token you don't get the massive coming together of pop culture movements across the broader cultural conscious. There's obviously a handful of exceptions like Taylor Swift, but I think it's pretty hard dispute that there's been a difference in how music had a broader impact culturally before the wide adoption of the internet & since. Take 100 gecs since you mentioned them. They aren't actually that big. And I don't just mean in a "I don't know them" sense, because I do know them, albeit it's not my cup of tea I'm still glad they exist (because I'm old, I should be alienated by music made by younger people to some extent). But their last album hit 49 in the UK & 59 in the US charts. That's not exactly broad appeal. Obviously part of this is I'm the sort of idiot who still thinks about albums as things that are important, as opposed to just a bunch of songs that come out & once & you stream the ones you like, which is actually where my age really does show.

I dunno, what would be the equivalent in 30 years of fawning BBC4 documentaries about the first wave of punk & how it really changed things etc etc even though it really didn't in the short term. Or it did, but not really in the ways that get remembered with the clothes & the big mohawks & all that but mostly in a business sense, with DIY becoming a way of life, independent labels becoming viable again, especially with the coming of the cassette making the actual production of the physical media a lot cheaper, to the point you could have someone put out a limited vinyl run of some weird noise project my cousin made in 2010. Getting away from my point a little. All these microgenre like hyperpop & vaporwave & what have you, it's I guess I'd say influential

Plus there's the fact that a lot of these "cultural moments" were media creations, because something like punk sold copies of the NME & Melody Maker, ditto Britpop. New Romantics sold Smash Hits. Etc. And the music press today barely exists, and what's left is read by people like me rather than by people like me 25 years ago, who eagerly perused Kerrang & Metal Hammer mags as soon as they hit the local shop. But yeah, the whole statement isn't really a knock on "da kidz", it's just an observation. Because realistically music consumption was largely stationary from the rock & roll years to the internet. Sure, media changed, tastes changed, but you bought records, tapes, CDs. And then suddenly you didn't have to. And suddenly you had access to an archive of the past 100 years of recorded music at your finger tips, more or less. If it's not on Youtube or Spotify then someone might well have it on Soulseek. So new music can be influenced by stuff from before your parents were born as well as the cutting edge. That's not bad, it's just different. (Well, I still think the preference for curated playlists over listening to albums is rear end, but allow me one or two crotchety old man moments)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't have social media I'm afraid.

I don't think honestly I've ever seen anyone wearing anything I would actually be enthusiastic about wearing, certainly not on my figure. They don't really make clothes for fat people.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
mens high street fashion mostly sucks compared to womens high street fashion and if you want anything as interesting you usually have to pay significantly more. there aren't many shops where you can walk in and actually try on something nice to see if it fits you. sometimes zara or river island can have something a little fruity but yeah if you're going into M&S or H&M or whatever it's mostly going to be dark blues/greys/browns.

e: and obviously if you don't have a Standard Mannequin-like figure it's going to be even harder

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Women's high street fashion isn't very good either IMO.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
perhaps, but i do feel there's relatively more variety in terms of colours and designs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah there's a bit more variety in what shapes of garments you can get. I generally find myself dissatisfied with colour choices on basically all clothes but that's probably got more to do with my eyes than anything else. But yes there are more shapes available at least.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i would like to know why this is not considered acceptable fashion in this country

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Since I gave up wearing band t-shirts such as Carcass - I reek of putrefaction, or Tankard - Space Alien Beer Brain, I'm lost.

Women's clothes are terrible size-wise, especially M&S. They're all designed for women with tiny waists and big bums whereas if you have a big waist and small bum forget it.

You can either go round strangled round the waist or wear trousers that fit the waist but are like clown balloons round the bum.
Also women's shirts have arms & bodies that are too short, but men's shirts have arms that are too long (do men drag their knuckles on the ground or what?)

But also fashion wise. It's when the entire high street goes for some ghastly colour combo in every single shop - a couple of years ago it was orange+turquoise and this year it seems to be dresses with ghastly floral patterns your nan might have worn. (That is my nan - probably your great-great-nans).

And while we're talking about fashion - invites that say "smart casual" I have no idea what that means. I remember turning up in a t-shirt that didn't have skulls on it because that's smart isnt it? And every other woman was in wedding clothes.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Fifa games might have all had big band names on the OSTs but they have never, ever put out a song that even gets close to the absolute joy / horror of Pro Evo in its glory days.
https://youtu.be/tFRivG2sFqA?si=aJfoCbuexziNuNQN

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For men I would describe "smart casual" as expensive shirt and jeans/trousers but unbuttoned and possibly untucked.

Basically trying to look like a big wanker with money but affecting an air of like you're not trying.

No idea what it means for women though, probably many contradictory things.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Since I gave up wearing band t-shirts such as Carcass - I reek of putrefaction, or Tankard - Space Alien Beer Brain, I'm lost.

I will be buried in cut off camo shorts and a band t-shirt fashion can go to hell

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

For men I would describe "smart casual" as expensive shirt and jeans/trousers but unbuttoned and possibly untucked.

Basically trying to look like a big wanker with money but affecting an air of like you're not trying.

No idea what it means for women though, probably many contradictory things.

button up your trousers mate. tuck it if you like though, its your life

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just also want to say that this sentence in isolation is quite fun if you don't know any of the band names. And it implies that the solution is bathing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

History Comes Inside! posted:

100 gecs sounds like what I think my parents thought my own generation’s unlistenable garbage music sounded like which is how I know I’m old now.

Yeah, it's great. Like, it's not for me, ever since I first heard Cher's Believe when I was 14 I've been unable to listen to those artificially high-pitched vocal effects (what we used to just call Auto-Tune effect & I have no idea what they call it now), but it appeals to the part of my brain that likes Nurse with Wound & Merzbow & SunnO))), albeit in a very different way. But the part of me that really appreciates obnoxious & abrasive & difficult music, & people mashing together styles that shouldn't work together etc. It's exciting. If new music wasn't unlistenable garbage to the olds then that mean it had all gone stale, & that's a bleak thought.

As I get older I definitely have to put in more effort to keep up with new music, & when I do it's mostly within relatively familiar ground. But just conceptually, there needs to be people doing weird poo poo & taking risks & selfishly making music for an audience of one, themselves. I would love to know what it was like to hear The Velvet Underground & Nico for the first time in 1967. What they were doing wasn't completely new, but if you were a pop music fan you probably weren't paying attention to the work of minimalist & avant-garde composers like Cage & Young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah I’ve been making a deliberate effort for the last few years to not become like the crusty old metalheads of my youth, but what I’ve mostly ended up finding is a ton of old bands and music that I just never discovered when I was a teenager because we didn’t have virtually every song ever recorded at our fingertips 24/7