Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Getting closer to cracking Ante 16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I know some people in this thread spent a lot of time trying to crack Jokerless, can I have any tips?

Off the dome, it seems like it'd be a bad idea to go for Straights, because I dunno that there's a lot you can do to improve Straights with tarot cards, but there's a lot of manipulation you can do to get other hands.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Straights are harder than others to get going but far from impossible. Their planet card is getting buffed in the next patch to make it more worth the trouble. Best way to improve your odds on them is to clip the ends of your number set (A 2 3 4 K Q) so more cards fall in the range you want.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Got a spectral pack early on that converted a bunch of stuff to 8s, rest of the run was just about focusing it. :toot:

It's funny, I wondered if I should wait for the patch (or just enable it), but I wouldn't have gotten this boss if I'd done that, right? Not that big of a deal, cause I had Director's Cut and Retcon was in the shop.

It's so funny how much fewer resetting and frustration this one was than Golden Needle.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Speak for yourself, I basically nailed Golden Needle first try (I used the starting credit card to buy a really nice opening set of jokers that carried me). Meanwhile Jokerless has been kicking my rear end.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah I just got a run with a very helpful spectral pack very early on in Jokerless, while I had a bunch of extremely bad luck in Golden Needle, including running into Crimson Heart and having my best Joker disabled TWICE.

The last three challenges are mostly just RNG. I'm not a fan. But they're done!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Does switching to the beta build prevent achievements or nah?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Does switching to the beta build prevent achievements or nah?

Nope, doesn't block them at all. I unlocked Nest Egg on the beta build.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Currently blowing through the challenges, but now I'm finally at Golden Needle, Cruelty and Jokerless.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Kuros posted:

Currently blowing through the challenges, but now I'm finally at Golden Needle, Cruelty and Jokerless.

I hope your Hold R technique is practiced.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

MJeff posted:

I hope your Hold R technique is practiced.

It’s Honed, it has had a Glow Up.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Closest I've been to my first win!

Had a good thing with face cards and was blowing out the blinds until this one.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Hand size of 3, hit the Psychic.

This might be an issue.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So, with all the challenges done, there's not much left to do, so I knocked out two achievements today, play a flush with five wild cards. This one was a little annoying, because one of the more consistent ways to add a wild card to your deck is to use Death on a card that's already wild and use The Fool to duplicate the tarot card you last used. So, long story short, Four of a Kind trumps Flush. :v:

The other was "reduce your deck to 20 cards", which takes a long fuckin' time, but I took that one all the way to ante 12 and made a fun little deck that vomitted out tarot cards with Hallucination, Cartographer, Blueprint and purple seals and had Fortune Teller, Supernova, Constellation and Yorick for scoring.

Now all that's left to do in the entire game is Completionist+ and Completionist++. Sadly I will be one of the extremely cringe people who didn't get those until after the patch. 😔

Nemo2342 posted:

This might be an issue.

The siren call of Ectoplasm claims another...... 😔

MJeff fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 15, 2024

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Nemo2342 posted:

This might be an issue.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

MJeff posted:

The siren call of Ectoplasm claims another...... 😔

Actually, I took a Stuntman on the 5 Card Draw challenge because I was playing High Card/Pair anyway.

Thankfully I was still strong enough after selling out of Stuntman that I beat the blind (and the challenge), but it was a real hoisted by my own petard moment.

As for Ectoplasm, I did grab one while doing the On Knife's Edge challenge, only to have it hit the joker that was about to be sacrificed. Didn't cost me the run, but I was quite miffed at that.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
After almost ninety hours, I finally got my first ever legendary joker. Because it was a challenge run, it atill doesn't appear in my collection.

Nevertheless, my highest scoring hand jumped from 5 million points to 70 billion points. Legendary jokera are pretty drat good, as it turns out.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Papes posted:

Ghost deck is easier imo since you are more likely to get red seals.

okay

loving finally. i was begging the game to drop me my one steel red seal king so i could dupe it with death and hopefully cross the finish line lmao

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Well this was certainly a setup to have for Fragile. The Brainstorm only came in on the final blind though; before that it was a foil Supernova.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Hey nice I got the achievement for playing a Royal Flush!

On a boss blind... for The Mouth. "Play only 1 hand type this round"

:negative:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheDK posted:

Hey nice I got the achievement for playing a Royal Flush!

On a boss blind... for The Mouth. "Play only 1 hand type this round"

:negative:

I really wish they would allow you to do a straight flush for the mouth if you made flush/straight your first hand. I've hosed myself over twice this way.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MJeff posted:

So, with all the challenges done, there's not much left to do, so I knocked out two achievements today, play a flush with five wild cards. This one was a little annoying, because one of the more consistent ways to add a wild card to your deck is to use Death on a card that's already wild and use The Fool to duplicate the tarot card you last used. So, long story short, Four of a Kind trumps Flush. :v:

When I was trying for this one (I did it with erratic deck on white stake) I was duplicating a bunch of wild cards with DNA and before I got 5 in hand I picked up a Midas Mask/Pareidolia combo and inadvertently wiped wild card off of a bunch of them like a dummy.

Really glad to get the gold sticker for Madness, that was the one that I might have been dreading the most because it's not like you can hide it and you need an eternal build around it.

Of the ones I don't have yet, there are twelve that I have zero stickers with on any level: Mad Joker, Clever Joker, Loyalty Card, Delayed Gratification, Egg, Vagabond, Reserved Parking, Ancient Joker, The Idol, Matador, Hit the Road, and The Order.

Vagabond I buy whenever I can early, I just haven't had the space to take him to the end. The others, ehhh

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Every time I get DNA it takes like six more antes til I have a card I really want to dupe.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Been chipping away at blue stakes tonight. Had a great run going with Red Card/Constellation/Joker Stencil.

Ante 8 boss was Crimson Heart.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Just had a Purple run get absolutely hosed by The Mark using my Pareidolia to make my otherwise great deck unplayable. Luv2Learn

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

NEW HIGH SCORE BABY!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just lost a promising run (two Barons, Mime, 13x Canio with room to grow, Perkio with a Death in my consumable area, and about half my deck as red seal steel Kings). I was definitely looking at my first e20+ run.

Why did I lose? I had unlimited rerolls on the boss blind, and simply misclicked Next Round -- when The Plant was the boss. Sigh.

I wish the game had an Undo button.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 15, 2024

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

I just lost a promising run (two Barons, Mime, 13x Canio with room to grow, Perkio with a Death in my consumable area, and about half my deck as red seal steel Kings). I was definitely looking at my first e20+ run.

Why did I lose? I had unlimited rerolls on the boss blind, and simply misclicked Next Round -- when The Plant was the boss. Sigh.

I wish the game had an Undo button.

Similar here. I had red steel kings thanks to DNA. Blueprint on Baron. Had a boss reroll, but decided to buy a Mercury instead of rerolling, telling myself I'd do it next round. But I forgot to reroll.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you haven't lost a promising run because you had the chance to reroll a boss but didn't then you haven't played Balatro

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

I lost a Golden Needle run because I re-rolled the final boss from Verdant into Violet and couldn't one shot 300k. Got to 250k or so.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I keep forgetting I need to reroll out of psychic.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I enjoy how the plasma deck says "Balanced!" before calculating your score when it's anything but.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kuros posted:

I lost a Golden Needle run because I re-rolled the final boss from Verdant into Violet and couldn't one shot 300k. Got to 250k or so.

My worst was losing a run where I not only rerolled into Violet, but the amount I missed the target by was the result of me constantly screwing up blinds where I was trying to scale my jokers.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I've reset multiple runs because I forgot to put the cards in the proper order for the Death tarot card

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Tarezax posted:

I've reset multiple runs because I forgot to put the cards in the proper order for the Death tarot card
I'm convinced it should have been the other way around where the right card becomes the left card.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Tarezax posted:

I always do a double check but I'm not convinced a mod that reversed it would even help

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I haven't done that once lol

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tarezax posted:

think to yourself "this turns into this" as you order them. works for me, I used to gently caress it up constantly now I hardly ever do

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Nihilarian posted:

If you haven't lost a promising run because you had the chance to reroll a boss but didn't then you haven't played Balatro

Did you know
Luchador has to be sold at the boss. Either that, or there are bosses it won't work on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Did you know
Luchador has to be sold at the boss. Either that, or there are bosses it won't work on.

It has to be sold when you're at the boss. If you hover over it it will even tell you if it detects a boss or not.