Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

sharknado slashfic posted:

Do you have a van by chance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75pStQaaC-I

get in losers, we're going birdwatching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
no apologies dude your posts are the best. sorry for all the hardships.

How! posted:

It’s not forbidden- it’s beckoning you. It implores you to remember the ranch.

sorry for the triple post, thought I was editing. I’ve been drinking down by the river today

:hmmyes:

How! posted:

The Mississippi is relatively high for now- lots of flotsam from the storms still. I’d rather it be high than low- last year was very weird. My friend works for a tug boat company and they had a hell of a time with stuck barges.

dope poo poo as always

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

How! posted:

not yet! I’ve got my eye on a Ford Transit that I could build a bed frame in for my trips down to NOLA so I don’t need to bug friends for a room. For now I’m driving an old Mitsubishi until the wheels fall off. which will be soon from the sound of it

e: oh god damnit I’m dumb lmao

:v:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

How! posted:

The Mississippi is relatively high for now- lots of flotsam from the storms still. I’d rather it be high than low- last year was very weird. My friend works for a tug boat company and they had a hell of a time with stuck barges.

:love: :love: :love:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

How! posted:

Did I say "very beksinski" yet

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

Did I say "very beksinski" yet

No, but that guys stuff is insane so thank you!

Did anybody else have a really good nights sleep immediately after the eclipse?

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

How! posted:

Did anybody else have a really good nights sleep immediately after the eclipse?

Sort of, cause my wife and I both have had covid last week. Worrying about going back to work tomorrow, hope there isn't a lot of fallout from missing 4 days.

Weathers been decent the past few days here too, but I haven't so much as gone outside, much less rode my motorcycle or cleaned my car or any drat thing.

So tired.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

How! posted:

love it

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

gileadexile posted:

Sort of, cause my wife and I both have had covid last week. Worrying about going back to work tomorrow, hope there isn't a lot of fallout from missing 4 days.

Weathers been decent the past few days here too, but I haven't so much as gone outside, much less rode my motorcycle or cleaned my car or any drat thing.

So tired.

Considering covid makes you actively contagious for like 2 weeks :coronatoot:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

gileadexile posted:

So tired.

I had COVID recently (and/or still have it). On Friday, I was legit so tired and weak I couldn't stand up. It really got me bad this time.

I'm not sure if I still have it as I tested negative (though my mom tested positive).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
you can take a while to recover from some infections while not being actively contagious. if you’re testing negative you aren’t infectious but you’re likely still recovering.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I had a random rambly thought the other day and I wonder what you all think of it

we often think of ourselves as pretty powerless in the face of the infinite but we do also sorta have a superpower in that we can collapse nearly infinite possibilities into singular ones

like a deer can hear a stick breaking and the only thing it can do it that situation is run

we can look at an empty canvas or page or wall and put anything we want onto it... write any story our minds are capable of concocting or just day dream infinitely while staring at clouds

it's not a high thought but it sure feels like one, huh
anywho... it felt empowering

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I had a random rambly thought the other day and I wonder what you all think of it

we often think of ourselves as pretty powerless in the face of the infinite but we do also sorta have a superpower in that we can collapse nearly infinite possibilities into singular ones

like a deer can hear a stick breaking and the only thing it can do it that situation is run

we can look at an empty canvas or page or wall and put anything we want onto it... write any story our minds are capable of concocting or just day dream infinitely while staring at clouds

We are made in the image of God. When the Bible says that, the only thing it says he's done so far is create, so that should tell you something. In other words, I agree with you.

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

https://twitter.com/rosscoulthart/status/1779834647071080944

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Came here to post this. A few of the incidents mentioned I hadn't personally heard of, although most are pretty famous.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

We're the shadows of the infinite
We stand alive
We're nothing but the soil of time
Beasts in the night

Reach with my open hand
Bound for all time
In the shadows of the blazing star
Fused, we're the Light

Barry Foster has issued a correction as of 14:01 on Apr 15, 2024

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's hard for me to understand how we can have such extensive documentation of sightings and still almost universally deny the existence of something.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Can I point you to the right wing and far left wing reaction to COVID-19? There's no shortage of ignoring realty because it isn't convenient and putting out campaigns to enforce that false reality cause it's easier.

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

you cant deny my green fiery balls

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

helta posted:

you cant deny my green fiery balls

luigi getting overconfident

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Houle posted:

Can I point you to the right wing and far left wing reaction to COVID-19? There's no shortage of ignoring realty because it isn't convenient and putting out campaigns to enforce that false reality cause it's easier.
And ufos being real throws a lot more about life into question than covid does. People from all walks of life have a vested interest in denying the existence of ufos.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's hard for me to understand how we can have such extensive documentation of sightings and still almost universally deny the existence of something.

You mean in the same way we have proof of evolution and yet around 40% of US adults still believe in young earth creationism?

If there's something I learned with age, is that most people absolutely HATE to have to reconsider their beliefs. It's just easier for their brain to ignore any contradicting fact than to have to face the possibility that maybe they have been misled and their beliefs are simply not backed up by reality

e: kinda similar with people legit claiming global warming isn't real despite the never ending flow of evidence proving it is. It's simply more comfortable to claim it's not real so you don't have to change your habits, and you don't have to face the fact that the people you hate might have a point.

SpaceGoatFarts has issued a correction as of 14:47 on Apr 15, 2024

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Emphasis on the "almost universally." It's on a totally different scale compared to COVID or religion. It is harder to observe than something like a pandemic, but the difficulty in observing it is also because we completely deny it and choose not to look for or acknowledge it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

http://lawcomic.net/guide/?p=10311

Immortal Thor #9

Winifred Madgers posted:

We are made in the image of God. When the Bible says that, the only thing it says he's done so far is create, so that should tell you something. In other words, I agree with you.

quote:

The process God is co-creative with all other creatures, including blooming flowers, singing whales, and insect architects. The source of power and creativity is ontologically distinct from God. Both God and finite beings draw on the same source of creative energy. This precludes the idea of God as the source of all power and creativity and gives finite beings and nature as a whole an independence and autonomy of their own. There is no beginning to creation; God and the universe are co-eternally creative.
Theology Bluebook, Chapter 9: Process Theology; Nicholas F. Gier 1994

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Consider also: mythology and parables, creative narratives designed to help guide us through difficult waters and navigate ethical dilemmas; that whole essay on the intersection of rhetoric and mythic theology I pasted in here a while back.

Hartshorne put it most succinctly:

"To be is to create."

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

This kind of intersects also with an aside the witchcraft thread just had about what "spells" are exactly ("what you do every day, actually") and a thought it helped me have about the differences between a spell and a prayer including the amount of creativity put into it. A prayer may be compelling speech, but it is still only speech; whereas something that an onlooker might perceive as a "spell" or "ritual" contains additional creative elements, the more intricate or intimate or exotic the more powerful the spell. If I ask the Divine to help my friend through their troubles through words alone, I am praying. If I ask the Divine to help my friend through their troubles, in rhythm or verse, while stirring a pot of herbal confections pleasing to that Deity for that friend to consume and be thereby uplifted and empowered; I am practicing magic.

If to create is to participate in the Divine nature, and this is both expected and desired of us; and if to practice magic is simply to express our prayers in creative ways; then if one truly desires to create change in the world what is one to do, but practice magic

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
and that's why visionboarding works, because you are creating a collage of the ferraris that you will manifest in real life

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The trick there is finding the Deity for Whom you having sixteen Ferraris is part of "Their Plan"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Google Butt posted:

make the dot control lovesense intensity

if anybody can do this i just wanna say i need you t o pm the deets

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

it’s not unreasonable that this would be a time unknown flying objects were seen a lot. There was a ton of experimental ballistic delivery and bomber systems all suckling DoD money away from taking care of its soldiers.

Also the sky trash recovery programs because we were just as curious about other nation’s death dealers. Maybe they hit jackpot with active off planet tech.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

And it's back to a nice background simmer again

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

https://twitter.com/LueElizondo/status/1779963811480457313

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Yeah yeah

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Not being able to use nukes is supremely good. Ability to destroy the world is not a security measure, cause everyone lives on the same planet. Hope this helps

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Not being able to use nukes is supremely good. Ability to destroy the world is not a security measure, cause everyone lives on the same planet. Hope this helps

mcnamara-ishly: no, that doesn't help at all

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the Tolkien podcast is going into what “spells” are too in the lord of the rings. they seem to be “talking and really meaning it”

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Give Radar the nukes

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

euphronius posted:

the Tolkien podcast is going into what “spells” are too in the lord of the rings. they seem to be “talking and really meaning it”

the really meaning it is important, people call that "intention". Providing a spectacle or a sacrifice, alongside/in addition to the talking, are a couple of the ways a person might express to their audience how much they really mean it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

that fits in with the old style superstitions where you weren't supposed to invoke the devil for fear you'd invite him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

euphronius posted:

In fact the whole universe was supposed to have been created by Eru Iluvatar talking, and the powers he gave to the gods were in the form of music. It's a really neat cosmology