Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I find it funny that Sonic, Knuckles and Shadow are all voiced by big actors in the movies, but for Tails they got the lady who voices him in the games.
Not knocking it, and good for her, hope she's getting paid well for it, compared to the games. But still funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

You should, they’re surprisingly well regarded

I'm not interested in them. Sorry...

Maybe if sonic was stop-motion, i'd at least watch some clips.

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 15, 2024

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Veotax posted:

I find it funny that Sonic, Knuckles and Shadow are all voiced by big actors in the movies, but for Tails they got the lady who voices him in the games.
Not knocking it, and good for her, hope she's getting paid well for it, compared to the games. But still funny.

She did better than knuckles. I love Idris Elba, but he sounded like he had cotton balls in his mouth for Sonic 2.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Propaganda Hour posted:

She did better than knuckles. I love Idris Elba, but he sounded like he had cotton balls in his mouth for Sonic 2.

I loved Elba as Knuckles, and I didn't have a thing to say about Tails until a bunch of losers popped out of the woodwork to suggest that this voice actress couldn't hang with big Hollywood stars and that she brought the movie down. Psycho takes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Veotax posted:

I mean that was with the fans basically begging for it when it was her in the after credits sequence for the first movie, instead of going with a big name celebrity. For whatever reason the request for that was much stronger than the other characters. People really wanted Tails specifically to be voiced by his game VA and Tyson Hesse shot magic out of his fingers and here we are

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Veotax posted:

Tgey should all be voiced by the game actors imo

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

:holymoley:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I mean that was with the fans basically begging for it when it was her in the after credits sequence for the first movie, instead of going with a big name celebrity. For whatever reason the request for that was much stronger than the other characters. People really wanted Tails specifically to be voiced by his game VA and Tyson Hesse shot magic out of his fingers and here we are

Oh yeah, totally. If Tails wasn't in the after-credits in the first movie, he'd totally have a big-name actor, I imagine.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't even understand the point in using big-name actors for voice acting cartoons. They usually aren't even very good at it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Tails would be voiced by Justin Timberlake

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

mystes posted:

I don't even understand the point in using big-name actors for voice acting cartoons. They usually aren't even very good at it.

Big names bring bigger crowds, OP

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is that true for Kids movies? Seems like a myth

mystes
May 31, 2006

hatty posted:

I guess they must assume that parents will be more willing to go that way? But it seems like they wouldn't be the ones deciding anyway

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think it's more that getting a big-name actor convinces more executives to give you 100 million dollars to make a movie based on a kids video game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hatty posted:

Every single top grossing kid's movie usually has a medium-to-large Hollywood star involved in the lead roles. Like even during the time when Pixar was nonstop hits, they had Tom Hanks and Tim Allen and Ellen DeGeneres

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
1000% marketing. Only reason to get less qualified people for main roles, so they can say they made a movie with Douglas Fairbanks and Louise Brooks. They also want to brag about in their corporate ballrooms.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Like the biggest star in Frozen at the time was Josh Gad and that movie made a billion dollars

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Idina Menzel wasn't exactly A-list but she was super popular coming off Wicked, as well-known as stage actors get nowadays.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Do kids like chris pratt?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hatty posted:

Like the biggest star in Frozen at the time was Josh Gad and that movie made a billion dollars

Idina Menzel was considered a fairly significant presence even at the time and Kristen Bell was still hot off Veronica Mars. Neither was a Grade A Super loving Star but they weren't nobody voice actors.

Edit: Like, looking over the top grossing animated films in the US at least, the only one that isn't 'hollywood cast' is ... The Simpsons. (And even then it had major Hollywood actors cast for roles, just not the main family.)

Jay Rust posted:

He is Star Lord, the Lego Guy and Mario.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

man nurse posted:

Big names bring bigger crowds, OP

Or, at the very least, we can definitely say that this is something that people making these decisions believe and ultimately that's all that matters.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

i guess the parents recognize him when choosing a movie to watch with their kids

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thoughts on Umurangi Generation? I remember it getting a fair amount of buzz, but also some lukewarm impressions.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Thoughts on Umurangi Generation? I remember it getting a fair amount of buzz, but also some lukewarm impressions.

It's pretty short and I beat it in a night but it also left me in a deep "I've just watched an incredibly depressing independent film" kind of malaise for hours after. It's a game that is supported pretty much entirely by its environmental storytelling and it's a pretty compelling one, imo.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

hatty posted:

Tgey should all be voiced by the game actors imo

Keanu is a bideo games voice actor

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rinkles posted:

It owns

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I feel like my life is improved on some level by the knowledge that Keanu Reeves is playing Shadow the Hedgehog

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i was asking about Umurangi because it's on sale for $1.50 on steam atm

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If i were to wishcast:

Sonic: Jaleel White
Knuckles: whoever voices Kratos
Tails: the Pikachu lady
Shadow: Keanu Reeves

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rinkles posted:

i was asking about Umurangi because it's on sale for $1.50 on steam atm

yeah go for it if you like photography puzzles and downer vibes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rinkles posted:

its the best sequel to jet set radio since jet set radio

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

homeless snail posted:

its the best sequel to jet set radio since jet set radio

No, that’s Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, which positively whips by the way

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

We need more photography games but I will also settle for Pokemon Snap 3

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

man nurse posted:

No, that’s Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, which positively whips by the way
I said what I said.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Macaluso posted:

Shout out to these Sonic movies for just knocking it out of the park with the voice cast choices.

This would have also been acceptable tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTpY3nrbBrc

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-indu...-games-with-it/

EA CEO talks AI, says the usual stuff before the bong rip hits and he starts blabbing about a future where 3 billion people are creating EA's games with it

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

bobjr posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-indu...-games-with-it/

EA CEO talks AI, says the usual stuff before the bong rip hits and he starts blabbing about a future where 3 billion people are creating EA's games with it

Did he mean 3,000 people? Decimal error? Did he read a report wrong?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He means players are now also creators, because ~the magic of AI~ lets the game create itself as you go rather than having artists you have to pay doing it beforehand

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
the sonic the movie 3 is being done up by AI and word is it won't stop generating fart scenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

man nurse posted:

I feel like my life is improved on some level by the knowledge that Keanu Reeves is playing Shadow the Hedgehog