Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
The PS3 was exciting for a while when stuff like Tokyo Jungle and Echochrome was coming out. It's less exciting now that almost everything is available somewhere else.

I should have bought Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories for $200 when I had the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

PS3 might be the worst loving console I’ve ever owned. Awful controller, server and online download architecture just pure dogshit, and tons of games somehow ran badly on it. Even with a high speed internet I remember giving up and just leaving the system on overnight to download anything.

The PS3 is the worst piece of hardware I’ve ever owned. I’ll never understand why people go to bat for it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I'm excited about the new Overwatch season tomorrow.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Blue Raider posted:

The PS3 is the worst piece of hardware I’ve ever owned. I’ll never understand why people go to bat for it.

i can't go that far. i have an atari 5200, an intellivision and a nomad and they are all definitely worse.

the ps3 is the worst successful console i've ever owned for sure, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

could we call the series s "successful"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Phil will officially change its name to the X-Box Series S(uccessful) so that this will be legally unassailable.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I wanna see a leak of the meeting minutes between Todd and Phil, with a PowerPoint slide deck titled “Why the gently caress did you bother with Starfield and not have Fallout 5 ready to go with this Prime show”.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I want the starfield tv show

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The xbox one SAD was worse imo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd put my PS3 over my X-Box 360 largely because I've never had to replace a system as often as I have the 360. All the recent systems have been fine but the 360 was bad enough I avoided playing games on it unless I had no choice and despite using it less I still had more failure rates. Loved the controller for the PC though.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

PS3 never broke down because it had no games.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I said come in! posted:

If MGS4 ever comes to other platforms, there won't be a need for PS3 anymore. But honestly its better to just watch the cutscenes on Youtube.

So what you're saying is that MGS4 already came out to another platform. 'Cause that thing was just cutscenes and very little else.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:wrong:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
LoL @ Microsoft spending six years failing to reanimate the corpse of Forza Motorsport and 2.5 years funding development of the most mid Gamebryo RPG yet only for 8 episodes of TV to make everyone including my parents ask "what's Fallout?" with no new product coming any time soon.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Saoshyant posted:

So what you're saying is that MGS4 already came out to another platform. 'Cause that thing was just cutscenes and very little else.
nah there was also hallways

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
There's like four hours of super cool gameplay, and also Act 3.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ruffian Price posted:

nah there was also hallways

You can watch those on Youtube too. Same experience, really.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

LoL @ Microsoft spending six years failing to reanimate the corpse of Forza Motorsport and 2.5 years funding development of the most mid Gamebryo RPG yet only for 8 episodes of TV to make everyone including my parents ask "what's Fallout?" with no new product coming any time soon.

Just wild, baffling decisions there.

Imagine having Obsidian, Bethesda, and Inxile all under the same parent company and not having them working together on something Fallout. DLC for existing games, New Vegas remaster, announcing a new game... anything?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

TheScott2K posted:

well when you put it like that it makes microsoft look loving stupid!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you only need to look at the last decade to confirm

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Just wild, baffling decisions there.

Imagine having Obsidian, Bethesda, and Inxile all under the same parent company and not having them working together on something Fallout. DLC for existing games, New Vegas remaster, announcing a new game... anything?

I was certain they were gonna start cracking off 4 hour Doom sequel-ites and 2D indie-style Fallouts to fill that catalogue but nope, they let them keep right on trucking with Ruined Space Orgasm Starfield.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Snacksmaniac posted:

PS3 never broke down because it had no games.

Oh come on. I played Diablo 3, Borderlands 2, Fallout 3 all on the ps3. Where else could I have played.. wait what?
Apparently I own them all on xbox as well.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

new vegas was , until the release of cyberpunk, the buggiest console game i'd ever played. an absolute techinal piece of poo poo on ps3, i have no idea how it didn't get the same treatment cp2077 got.

Gamebryo games and PS3 did not get along. The PS3, ironically, sort-of had the wrong RAM in that gen. IIRC it had as much total RAM as the 360 had, but the 360 was a dynamic shared memory pool between GPU and CPU tasks whereas on PS3 it was a hard 50/50 split, which I think meant some games had to operate with basically only 256 megabytes of RAM, and frankly I'm astonished games like GTA 5 pulled this off. With Gamebryo games I think there was also some sort of memory leak thing happening where each time you saved (including autosaves) the save file would expand ever so slightly and eventually reach a point where there wasn't enough system memory to handle the big save file you now had and you couldn't keep playing. I also remember there was a legit doubt that the PS3 wouldn't be capable of handing the final Skyrim DLC due to all this, but they did get it working (I think it launched later on PS3 though).

A friend of mine worked for a few game devs back in the mid-2000s and I remember him also mentioning it was a lot harder to code for PS3 at the time, because you had to explicitly delegate the per-core tasks manually, whereas the 360's GDK just did it automatically in the best way possible. I think they eventually sorted out the PS3 GDK but I think only in the back half of that gen, so games from around 2011 onwards pretty much universally have more or less performance parity between 360 and PS3 (same resolution and framerate).

Also the PS3 digital backend is definitely a huge piece of poo poo and redownloading anything on a PS3 is a gigantic pain in the rear end, even worse than how it was when the PS3 was a currently supported system if you can believe that.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I’d take fallout away from Bethesda and give it to obsidian in a heartbeat

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Blue Raider posted:

I’d take fallout away from Bethesda and give it to obsidian in a heartbeat
This

I thought Fallout 4 was alright, but the DLC was disappointing. FO76 was obviously a disappointment, and then Starfield (which is just Fallout in space) was also a disappointment.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

So it looks like PC Game Pass added Populous: The Beginning, Sim City 3000 Unlimited and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Planetary Pack (the bundle with the original game and the Alien Crossfire expansion). I can't speak to those iterations of Populous and Sim City because I never played them, but SMAC is an all-time great 4X game, and that's coming from someone who is not normally a 4X fan.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

FlamingLiberal posted:

This

I thought Fallout 4 was alright, but the DLC was disappointing. FO76 was obviously a disappointment, and then Starfield (which is just Fallout in space) was also a disappointment.

What about Outer Worlds, which is obsidian fallout in space? I have it for switch and still have yet to play it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

This

Eh bar harbor was ok. Bethesda fallouts best content is behind a single DLC per game

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Can you gamble in the Atlantic City addition to fallout 76? This may make or break if I finally give that game a shot.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

otter posted:

What about Outer Worlds, which is obsidian fallout in space? I have it for switch and still have yet to play it.

Extremely bland but I only finished the first main mission. Got mad because the obviously correct anti-fash choice gets hangwrung to poo poo

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Outer worlds might be one of the most forgettable games I’ve ever played. The second coming of new Vegas it was not.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Avowed could be pretty good, I hope so at least.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

In an alternate reality, the Redfall tv show is blowing up and everyone is talking about their favourite character “former US military special forces sniper veteran turned supernatural private military company operator of Bellwether Security Jacob Boyer”

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I only got maybe a few hours into outer worlds but my impression was that its like a bethesda game, but without the big rich world you can get lost in, which is really the main redeeming quality that bethesda games have going for them. I think the game world is basically a series of small, self contained maps which are built around the specific story missions and the few sidequests that take place there. Not a lot of room to just wander around and discover stuff

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

otter posted:

I liked it. It's objectively better than Starfield. My biggest complaint is it's small and the weapons inventory/management is a mess. If I had the money I'd absolutely buy the dlc and do a whole new run. If Outer Worlds 2 is more expansive I think it'll be really good.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Yeah Outer Worlds was them making a relatively quick and cheap self financed game to keep the lights on while hoping for a bigger contract to come along (or get bought). For that, building those Bethesda style systems on top of Unreal was actually kinda impressive. Now without those concerns hanging over them hopefully they can hit some of their heights again.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

otter posted:

lmao loving same

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Outer Worlds sucks.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

in hindsight it's kind of funny/disappointing that MS spent so much monies on Bethesda/Blizzard just as they both pratfalled into dogshit. Blizzard fumbled Overwatch badly and had to fight out of the corner of Diablo 4's fuckups; Bethesda released Redfall and Starfield, both of which might have been 2 of the most boring games I played in years. Hi Fi Rush by Tango Softworks was the surprise banger from what was essentially their smaller substudio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Whoever hid HiFi Rush from Microsoft and Todd did the world a real service