Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

The Demilich posted:

Do you have an estimate of how many millimeter you added to the height?

I think 3mm on average, but I wasn't very precise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Paul-Muadib transcends the gender binary and achieves equilibrium between the masculine and feminine, he can not Give without Taking, can not Take without Giving. The dune series has homophobia and progressiveness in equal measure, wether Herbert realized it our not.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

AnEdgelord posted:

... then Leto II shows up and is actually saving humanity, to the point that a big turning point in God-Emperor is Siona realizing he's completely right after spending the whole book trying to overthrow him. It's so odd and contributes to making his writing so fascinating.

I read that more as Siona coming to love big brother, so to speak. Leto has done that countless times before, it's how he made Moneo. He subverts assassins as a flex to maintain power.

Also the Golden Path changes a ton from being fairly undefined jihad to being "make prescience impossible by making everyone a little prescient and restricting spice access so much that alternate forms of space travel are developed, breaking the guild monopoly".

Anything Leto says to anyone (other than sweet Hwi) in GEOD is a lie, only his internal monolog is true-ish.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

sharkmafia posted:

It's not even a conundrum tbh, they should just do it

Anyone who freaks out about female space marines on the basis of 'lore' is being transparently disingenuous. Because GW already eviscerated the lore to make primaris happen, and these guys were apparently fine with that, or fine enough to not quit, anyway. So best for GW to just do the thing and ignore them

Agreed that they're being totally disingenuous. I still feel the primaris lore addition was simply a poor method of justifying the rescaling of the range and that GW should have just said "were updating the models", but in the end it doesn't matter since it was years ago at this point. In any case it wasn't the end of the world and I like the addition of Cawl to the mix so overall it was welcome in my book.

Ominous Jazz posted:

so they retconned space marines into being no girls allowed

Yup

Athas posted:

Rogue Trader didn't have any female space marines, and the reason is that GW had noticed (pre Rogue Trader) that female models didn't sell as well as male models (the reason is partially that they were pretty ugly, but let's be real, most pre-1987 models were pretty ugly). They still made a few female metals, but for Rogue Trader the space marines were to be plastic. I think there were like four marines spread over two different sprues (plus an accessory sprue), so the lowest proportion of female marines would be 25% (without making additional sprue molds, which was and is expensive). GW reasoned that their customers wouldn't want 25% of the marines to be female, so they were entirely left out. A lot of the lore was (and remains) influenced by toy sales and manufacturing, just like how female Custodes were left out of the books because the then-upcoming models didn't have any women in them. That's also one reason why it's very daft to treat "established lore" as anything like some grand consistent vision set down by the Ancients. 40k is a total loving mess, which is part of its charm, and changes tend to be for the better.

Exactly correct, per Alan Merrett:

Bell of Lost Souls posted:

Alan Merrett is an oldtimer GW alumni. He was there from almost the very beginning and spent many years as the Head of GW’s Intellectual Property. He left the company several years ago, but chimed in on Facebook many moons ago, as to what was really going on with the issue in the 1980s:

Everything has essentially been a post hoc justification ultimately based on "at the time" consumerist assumptions that were rooted in dipshit gender norms.

Anyway here's the in-universe lore I made up to justify tearing down the boys only club sign a few years ago:

The Demilich posted:

Now comparatively, the Astartes template compared to the Custodes template is akin to a backwater trashcan genesplicing project, but the benefit of this process was you could pump hundreds of thousand of soldiers out in a relatively short amount of time. Per The Emperor, time was of the essence for beginning the great crusade so the need for an increased speed of production is the reason why the Astartes process ultimately became so reliant on a Y chromosome, because at the time XX was just too difficult to standardize given the available technology that was at the Emperor's disposal.

The Present: Since the creation of Imperium Nihilus' & losing a full crusade to Khorne in the Arks of Omen campaign, Roboute discusses in-depth the issues with a lack of necessary aspirants for the divided Imperium forces. He is then granted an audience with the science division of the Custodes. From there they reluctantly give Cawl VERY limited information about the means to perfect the ability to turn aspirants of both sexes into Astartes, which Cawl is then able to properly export into the standardized astartes template process. This allows the astartes to double their applicants while maintaining the secrecy of the Custodes process.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Eej posted:

I kinda like the lore of Space Marines being a bunch of teenaged boys jumped up with weird Emperor juice and becoming psychotic killing machines. If they made female Space Marines it wouldn't bother me but I kinda feel like when they took such a recent stand on "only boys get to be hosed up bioweapons" in the HH book they should like fully explore the ramifications of it.

Yeah I think you lose the ability to turn a mirror on feeding boys (and let's face it, it's almost entirely boys) into the military machine and having them lose their humanity and being brainwashed into a cult of machismo, but on the other hand I don't really think modern 40K is all that interested in exploring that angle.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

so they retconned space marines into being no girls allowed

kinda. they didn't have a story before that, they were just star wars/starship troopers/dune ripoffs

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Honestly, if they ever introduce women space marines and need a lore justification, the best one would simply be "it was never a practical problem, the Imperium is just dogmatic, some chapters started doing it out of desperation due to a small pool of available recruits, and they found out it's fine"

jadarx
May 25, 2012
Have Chaos Space Marines do it. The Fabius Bile novel Primogenitor already has Bile ponder about how the Emperor was a bit of an idiot excluding half of his war force from his "gifts" and Bile's space marine killer creations aren't male-only.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

The novel Storm of Iron has a female guardsman fall to Khorne and put on CSm power armor and literally no one could tell

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

An equal opportunity murder god.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Athas posted:

I think 3mm on average, but I wasn't very precise.

Hmmmm, I think I'm going to attempt the kitbash. You've inspired me to try. I really hope I can safely remove some of the thigh armor on these by putting them in the freezer for a bit.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah I think you lose the ability to turn a mirror on feeding boys (and let's face it, it's almost entirely boys) into the military machine and having them lose their humanity and being brainwashed into a cult of machismo, but on the other hand I don't really think modern 40K is all that interested in exploring that angle.

Yeah, it's difficult to straddle the orphan crushing machine lore when compared with the Imperiums shining stalwart written heroes like Garro and Loken, and other heroics by the legions in general. Plus there exist chapters like the Salamanders and Space Wolves who still have access to their original families so it's not like they're apt poster boys for the crushing of innocence for the war effort. Hell isn't it an honor to be chosen for service in the Ultramarines?

I heard there's a Dark Angels story where a brother goes crazy from the psycho-conditioning due to slowly recovering some pre-abduction memories while on his home world during a mission and it gets to the point where he's trying to rip out his black carapace and then abandons his post, so at least there's that I guess. Carcharodons are really the only loyalists that I can name off the bat who highlight how horrific becoming a child soldier can be what with the Red Tithe, but they also live out in the boonies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeah there's nothing about 40k marines that requires them to still be a boy's club.

If anything, it would put some more distance between it and the Heresy line.

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011

jadarx posted:

Have Chaos Space Marines do it. The Fabius Bile novel Primogenitor already has Bile ponder about how the Emperor was a bit of an idiot excluding half of his war force from his "gifts" and Bile's space marine killer creations aren't male-only.

They actually already have! Harrowmaster by Mike Brooks has an Alpha Legion space hulk with a “Dishonour Guard” made by some new mechanicum guy that are female space marines. The best part is the Alpha Legion main character almost seems more intimidated by them cause they’re made after already reaching adulthood so the process is explained to be way more intense and anyone who survives it is gonna be scary. Plus Alpha Legion is one of the least chaos influenced seeming group in the setting so it’s not like they’re relying on chaos magic to do it so not like that’s acting as a barrier for the Imperium.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The Demilich posted:

Carcharodons are really the only loyalists that I can name off the bat who highlight how horrific becoming a child soldier can be what with the Red Tithe, but they also live out in the boonies.

the Carcharodon Impulsor, aka, the Space Ute

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Rabidsamba posted:

They actually already have! Harrowmaster by Mike Brooks has an Alpha Legion space hulk with a “Dishonour Guard” made by some new mechanicum guy that are female space marines. The best part is the Alpha Legion main character almost seems more intimidated by them cause they’re made after already reaching adulthood so the process is explained to be way more intense and anyone who survives it is gonna be scary. Plus Alpha Legion is one of the least chaos influenced seeming group in the setting so it’s not like they’re relying on chaos magic to do it so not like that’s acting as a barrier for the Imperium.

I dunno, I'm reading Harrowmaster right now and the Alpha Legion sure has it share of "Chaos Influence" running through its warbands in the current setting.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I ain't even going to look but I bet the female custodies has Saigon of a Cock whining and crying. He always has little tantrums over poo poo like this.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

loving Moron posted:

I ain't even going to look but I bet the female custodies has Saigon of a Cock whining and crying. He always has little tantrums over poo poo like this.

Oh you are very much correct with that guess.

Even grummz, known grifter and failure of game dev has thrown his coin into this and decrying it. Because he has nowhere else to go other than going all in on the culture war bullshit.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Super Waffle posted:

The novel Storm of Iron has a female guardsman fall to Khorne and put on CSm power armor and literally no one could tell

Man I could never remember what story that was in, thank you cause I've been wanting to find it again but I never could remember the title. That and Daemon world were the first two 40k thigs I ever read.

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

I dunno, I'm reading Harrowmaster right now and the Alpha Legion sure has it share of "Chaos Influence" running through its warbands in the current setting.

I mean yeah that’s probably fair but I’m willing to let a warp witch and a demon infused arm slide compared to what Death Guard and Thousand Sons love getting up to.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
A warp wich is what the Traitor legions pack for lunch

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Female space marines are only allowed if they bring back more D:< helmets.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Rabidsamba posted:

I need to listen to that book again as I don't remember this at all. I do remember a few of the warbands being wholly corrupted though, like the guy with the translucent flesh.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Welp, I destroyed 7 of the 10 little bits of side armor my five Custodes had that go on the thighs while trying to pop them off. Hopefully the thermoplastic molds I made of the surviving bits will work. I used clear thermoplastic so I could use uv resin and just bust out the copies real quick but I'm thinking maybe I should just opt for greenstuff option since it'll be easier to sand.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I wonder if stormcast eternal female heads fit nicely on adeptus custodes bodies...

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Eej posted:

A warp wich is what the Traitor legions pack for lunch

what did we do to deserve a pun this bad

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

I wonder if stormcast eternal female heads fit nicely on adeptus custodes bodies...

Having used one on a Primaris Space Marine, with a good fit as a result, I'd say yes.

And something I have encouraged in the past. But it remains to be seen how the new ones are designed because all of the 3rd ed SCE kits have had some really obtuse head to body assemblies.
Get the Sequitor kit while you can.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm keeping an eye out for Golden Girls sculpts for my Kill Team. Sofia will be the leader.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Cooked Auto posted:

Even grummz, known grifter and failure of game dev has thrown his coin into this and decrying it. Because he has nowhere else to go other than going all in on the culture war bullshit.

He already had nowhere to go, for like the past two weeks he's been the gamedev 'face' of 'gamergate 2.0'.

And he tried to declare lara croft as a victim of woke over the latest product, except because he's an idiot he missed that it was a tomb raider board game, at which point doubling down was the only recourse.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
God I hope they don't do boob plate, and be a bit more subtle.

I really preferred this design of Sororitas, and whilst I'm 'okay' with SOB having boob plate (because of their weird as gently caress inspirations) I hope Custodes females are more in line with the Sigmarite designs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

I'm keeping an eye out for Golden Girls sculpts for my Kill Team. Sofia will be the leader.

I'm sure there's already an STL being worked on as we speak.

Torchlighter posted:

He already had nowhere to go, for like the past two weeks he's been the gamedev 'face' of 'gamergate 2.0'.

Yeah, ever since that whole stupidity kicked off again he's been trying to position himself as its new champion.
Gamedev, yeah right. :rolleyes:

Shockeh posted:

God I hope they don't do boob plate, and be a bit more subtle.

At this point I wouldn't expect any outright female Custodes miniatures until their 11th edition codex.
They might do an upgrade kit if they feel nice, but this feels very much like a "Convert your own" thing.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 16, 2024

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

Oh you are very much correct with that guess.

I couldn't believe it when I saw Mark Kern post on this. The man is 55 loving years old, you'd think he'd have some goddamn dignity at this point.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

smug jeebus posted:

I couldn't believe it when I saw Mark Kern post on this. The man is 55 loving years old, you'd think he'd have some goddamn dignity at this point.

I don't assume any youtubers have dignity.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 16, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

smug jeebus posted:

He's been on the whole Gamergate side of the internet since it started man...

I saw him post like, last week? About how Western AAA devs make women ugly on purpose because of woke unlike the sexy anime babes of Japanese games

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Improbable Lobster posted:

Female space marines existed back in 1st ed Rogue Trader, with the Sisters of Battle starting out as an all-female chapter of space marines. They'd just be going back to their roots.

Also Primaris didn't 'eviscerate' things :rolleyes:

e; no need to belabor the point i think

huh, i didn't know that space marines being all men was itself a retcon, interesting

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 16, 2024

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
In the grim darkness of the near future there is only culture war...

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The Demilich posted:

I need to listen to that book again as I don't remember this at all. I do remember a few of the warbands being wholly corrupted though, like the guy with the translucent flesh.

It was neat how in that book the "chaosness" of the various AL warbands ranged from "basically nothing" to "full worship, mutations".

Also the bit where all the warbands are meeting and one of the new guys does the "I am Alpharius" bit and everyone rolls their eyes was very funny.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

It was neat how in that book the "chaosness" of the various AL warbands ranged from "basically nothing" to "full worship, mutations".

Also the bit where all the warbands are meeting and one of the new guys does the "I am Alpharius" bit and everyone rolls their eyes was very funny.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

You can also use the Votann heads. They're not as tall but they're more squat (ha ha) and fit the proportions.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm often surprised with how weird people are over 40k.

We play Necromunda almost exclusively, and I'm yet to find a freak over years of playing. I think specialist games attract people who just love the settings and want to make cool stuff. I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I feel like the dudes who have a problem with this are the same people who buy the 3rd party big titty "pin up" versions of Krieg commisars and naked Shadowsun