Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Nybble posted:

I know it’s a very loud game, but it’s a complete shock when you turn around and there’s a tank or hulk tapping your shoulder and saying hello

It's honestly one of the funnier things in the game and should never go away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the flame hulks wouldn't be so bad if they were not also wearing soft little booties that muffle their footsteps so you can't detect their multi ton bulk walking up behind you.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Away all Goats posted:

^^^ I'm fairly certain the flamethrower has some kind of dropoff as well. The closer you are to the flamethrower arm when you get caught in the flame, the quicker you die.

Finally I'm pro at something
https://i.imgur.com/5Hzyf1l.mp4

if you wanna see a real pro then just watch this

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1c2csig/dont_you_love_getting_instakilled_by_fire_in/

i hope that whatever fix for flamethrowers is also applied to bile spewers because they're just as bad for me. instant death if even one pixel of my character model gets hit and they don't even need to land anything to apply the slow

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

if you wanna see a real pro then just watch this

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1c2csig/dont_you_love_getting_instakilled_by_fire_in/

i hope that whatever fix for flamethrowers is also applied to bile spewers because they're just as bad for me. instant death if even one pixel of my character model gets hit and they don't even need to land anything to apply the slow

They did fix that though. It's two ticks to get bile'd to death by spewers, so if you dodge you usually wont die.

Titans are still one shots tho

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Nybble posted:

I know it’s a very loud game, but it’s a complete shock when you turn around and there’s a tank or hulk tapping your shoulder and saying hello

The Chargers and Bile Spewers/Titans are even worse about this somehow

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

They did fix that though. It's two ticks to get bile'd to death by spewers, so if you dodge you usually wont die.

Titans are still one shots tho

wouldn't it be crazy if they actually didn't fix that

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I don't know, I always find the classic ninja charger standing stuck on a rock right behind you pretty funny.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya, the devs really need to do a sound design pass on the enemies and a few weapons cause theyre so quiet in a lot of places

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

"That Hulk must have been the host" lmao

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's funny cause they're super loud and noisy when they don't know you're there. Patrols and guards at POIs/outposts make constant noise.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's because they're all happily chatting about their lives and families until we come along and massacre them.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Nybble posted:

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ya, the devs really need to do a sound design pass on the enemies and a few weapons cause theyre so quiet in a lot of places

I also think sound design needs a real pass. Chargers and bots and bugs footsteps are anemic and so are a lot of the weapons.

I think everything needs to be buffed up

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Equip the laser doggie it will alert you just fine

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

if its timed just right, it'll look like your helldiver just keels over from a hot fart and its...somewhat calming, at least in that it's so ridiculous as it is disappointing that you just have to laugh

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 16, 2024

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

:hmmyes:

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Is there a good use for orbital gas strike? Every once in a while I get a huge batch of kills from it, then the next few uses I can't even tell if it's doing damage. I'm not playing on especially high difficulties, if that matters.

It sure evaporates me and my teammates quick enough if we step in the area too soon, though.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I’ve started spinning the camera around to watch the flamethrower hulk when he’s chasing me. There’s a windup on the flamethrower, if you’re always watching him you can dive and avoid the hit. Doesn’t help when you get snuck up on. For whatever reason I feel like flamethrower hulk is the hardest one to shoot in the eye, too.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

incogneato posted:

Is there a good use for orbital gas strike? Every once in a while I get a huge batch of kills from it, then the next few uses I can't even tell if it's doing damage. I'm not playing on especially high difficulties, if that matters.

It sure evaporates me and my teammates quick enough if we step in the area too soon, though.

There's a known bug with damage over time effects. They only work for the network host. Once it's fixed it should theoretically be very good against bug breeches.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

incogneato posted:

Not since they made it cause friendly damage :\

honestly if it just didn't cause friendly damage it could have a niche

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
idk gas works really well for me
its great on bots as the strider riders will die just as fast as regular bots in it, and it softens up devastators pretty well and has good uptime

i know there's a bit of fuckiness with whether you're the host or not, but it definitely still does damage regardless, just maybe not as much damage

also if you land the orb on top of a fabricator the impact of the gas shell will destroy the fab

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
nobody seems to truly know what's going on with DoT damage so I'm just gonna mostly not touch gas strike/napalm until stuff gets fixed

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Gas seems neat but it's hard to tell if it's doing anything. I swear I've never gotten a kill count after throwing one into a massive group of enemies.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
Why would gas work on bots? Unless...

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

ZeusCannon posted:

I want a poncho someday. That's like a double cape, front and back.

Twice the democracy
Hell yeah

edit: in fact give me a lever action rifle while you’re at it

ephori fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 16, 2024

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
quote is not edit

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ephori posted:

edit: in fact give me a lever action rifle while you’re at it

Think you mean lever action shotgun

https://i.imgur.com/jzfM34b.mp4

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Captain Beans posted:

Not since they made it cause friendly damage :\

honestly if it just didn't cause friendly damage it could have a niche

helldivers wear breathing masks for all the different atmospheres on planets, so it could be reasoned that they wouldnt take damage from the gas strikes. but not sure how "less friendly fire" would gel with the community and devs

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

The gas is supposed to be highly corrosive I think, not poisonous.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

Think you mean lever action shotgun

https://i.imgur.com/jzfM34b.mp4

No joke I want a sawn-off as a sidearm option. Double barrel or lever-action doesn't matter to me.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BitBasher posted:

The gas is supposed to be highly corrosive I think, not poisonous.

Highly corrosive and poisonous. It covers all the bases!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Highly corrosive and poisonous. It covers all the bases!

So, Chlorine then :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIJDfNO3d5E

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Sindai posted:

As a card-carrying Spear Enjoyer I'm pretty sure the issue with cannon towers is that the "tower" is part of the terrain, not the entity, so if you're too far below the tower or too close to the base it obscures the aim point on the turret and isn't seen as a valid target.

That's actually a very good explanation and I think it does match my experience - at least a couple of the times it was just not locking on, I was looking up hill at a tower

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Confirmed my new favorite bug loadout tonight:

Eruptor, Redeemer, Incendiary Grenade

Eagle 500kg, Eagle Napalm, Flamethrower, Laser Dog (Note I have the new Enhanced Combustion upgrade which really makes this shine)

Light Armor with +Grenade, - Recoil on crouch (the one in the new warbond also looks cool and is thematic)

A good, smart team! This was on a 7 but the spawns were insanely cranked up and felt harder than some 9s I've done. No spewers but they made up for it with huge numbers of everything else, we'd have 3+ patrols coming at us whenever we stopped with tons of Chargers, Hunters, and plenty of Bile Titans too for fun. Three people without deaths was frankly miraculous and speaks to how well everyone was covering each other especially the guy I accidentally covered with Napalm.

The bread and butter is the Eruptor with liberal use of your incendiary grenades. If you see a patrol, lob a grenade before engaging the largest or most dangerous target with your Eruptor. It'll destroy anything smaller than a Charger and pairs well with incendiary grenades and the laser dog to quickly wipe patrols. Bug breaches? poo poo, I look forward to them with this as it's a chance to run up a new high score. As soon as you see the warning get your Eagle Napalm ready to go and throw it on top of (ideally) or in front of the breach as soon as it opens. Fire into the breach with the Eruptor, and combined with the napalm enjoy your 20-40+ killstreaks. Charger shows up? gently caress yeah, that's when Mr. Flamethrower comes out to party. If possible, try to run up on it when it pops out of the breach so you can hose its leg with flame while also giving some extra crispiness to the other bugs popping out with it. Bile Titans require you to be good with the 500kg, but the Eruptor (and possibly upgraded Flamethrower) can also finish a wounded one off if you graze it.

You can kill everything they throw at you extremely well, it loving owns. Being able to lock down an entire flank with grenades and/or napalm is also extremely helpful to your team when you're getting hit from multiple sides.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 16, 2024

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

are robot bugs real?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's certainly true that no helldiver has ever seen a robug and lived to tell the tale

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Nybble posted:

I've turned around to three chargers all stuck on the same rock staring at by back. I swear those things are completely silent when they aren't charging.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh wow the Eruptor rules. Ran with a stalwart in the special slot and switched when needed and it was great, being able to close bug holes with it is huge. Definitely AC-lite vibes.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Eruptor is the last piece of the puzzle on bugs in terms of having something that can reliably handle as many bile spewers as the game throws at you. It's also great to be able to handle a lot of stuff if you're reinforced with your stratagems on cooldown. Grenade pistol can be clutch for this as well if you're not running the eruptor.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Eruptor would be actually useful if the aiming speed was faster.

Slow as molasses currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Infinitum posted:

Eruptor would be actually useful if the aiming speed was faster.

Slow as molasses currently.

The secret is to only use ADS. For some reason its way faster than trying to aim in 3rd person