Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I'm not coming back in here until you put your balls away, mister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Frank Frank posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking. Apparently resist flasks got nerfed but the waiting out the ball phase deal is absolutely true.

YOU CAN WAIT OUT THE BALL PHASE?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Pinwiz11 posted:

Yeah. Either lie dead on the floor or you can zone back into the fight if you don’t move at all, you remain completely invulnerable for a very long time

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Frank Frank posted:

Just noticed something odd with my gear. My helm as a "red" requirement on it (int for the enlighten gem). The helm itself is not highlighted red like it would normally be if I didn't meet the stat requirements. Is the helm still granting bonuses? How is the Enlighten gem working when I don't meet the int requirement for it? I know it's working because I have all 4 auras running still.

Replica dragonfang's flight is lowering the gem attribute requirement, but the original requirement still shows when you hover over your helm. Your enlighten is still working, if you didn't meet the requirement you wouldn't be able to use the auras or get any stats from your helm at all

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Traxis posted:

Replica dragonfang's flight is lowering the gem attribute requirement, but the original requirement still shows when you hover over your helm. Your enlighten is still working, if you didn't meet the requirement you wouldn't be able to use the auras or get any stats from your helm at all

Ah ok that makes sense. Yet another reason I can't swap back to fury valve right now. The other reason being I need the mana reservation on it.
Did the shaper guardian bonus map nodes go away? I can find the ones for increased conqueror maps, but not shaper guardians or the Elder's weirdos.

E: Oh wait, I've made this mistake before. I'm using singular focus which is preventing them from dropping.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Very top of the tree

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pinwiz11 posted:

This is also known as "Maven memory game strat".

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think my brain has finally accepted having to buy gear.

I don’t care for the atlas map and the overall lack of guides telling me where to put points though. I understand why, but it’s still overwhelming for a new player. I’m glad there’s more than one.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

fknlo posted:

I don’t care for the atlas map and the overall lack of guides telling me where to put points though. I understand why, but it’s still overwhelming for a new player. I’m glad there’s more than one.

I'm still pretty consistently overwhelmed and this is my 3rd league. I've literally been playing for a year and learn something new almost daily. Just ask questions and bookmark every resource site you're going to be sent to (there are a lot of them).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

whypick1 posted:

BTW, another PoE2 interview with Jonathan has happening in two and a half hours, this time conducted by Josh Strife Hayes. Will probably be watching and summarizing here, as per usual.

• Interview focused more on high level development
  • Jonathan thinks what he brings to the table is ID'ing jank
  • Recognizes that they have a standard to hold to with PoE, but he has to be ruthless (no pun intended) about saying if something doesn't work
  • Acknowledges the community has quite a bit of skepticism about they changes their making (slowing down gameplay)
  • Jonathan wasn't even the biggest fan of D2 when GGG started (called out Half-Life, Starcraft, FF7)
  • Jonathan shows off his Whakawhakawhaka shirt (no, I will never use its proper name). "My wardrobe is basically all PoE shirts at this point"
  • "Path of Exile 2 is really the most absurd feature creep story in the world". Started off by listing gripes, #1 was melee. Bad because it was really difficult to make new skills, primarily due to the character rigging, which is one of the first things developed for PoE1. Each character has its own rig, so they have to animate skills 7 different times, and this was done for absolutely no good reason. Oh, and armour has to be rigged per character as well.
  • Beginning of the game looks really old. Why not make new areas instead of refreshing the old ones? How about we make an alternate Act 1...and that snowballed into a whole new campaign, which then became the initially-announced parallel-to-the-first-game PoE2. Then came the realization they'd basically break the poo poo out of PoE by bringing merging all of these changes so now we have the separate games.
  • Jonathan doesn't think he'd beat Chris in a fight, but will lead the army of PoE2 fans against Chris' PoE1 army if it came down to it
  • Favorite class: Ranger in PoE1 ("Is it because melee sucks?" "Yes"). Monk in PoE2 ("first time we managed to get melee not to suck").
  • As long as the game isn't perfect Jonathan will keep developing
  • Want to have a game with a skill ceiling high enough that not everyone can reach it but supports people coming back league after league to try
  • Difficulty curve is a bit off right now (fairly even then at the end-end game it spikes greatly) but not sure how to address that
  • Reason Kitava resistance penalty is in the game is so that they don't have to do something like Armour where it's a number tied to a formula the user never sees or have no penalty and have mods like "2% to fire resistance" to balance. Jonathan doesn't like that for resistances, but people seem OK with it for Armour/Evasion. Could've also done a per-act penalty but it feels worse. Acknowledges this is a bunch of nebulous thoughts.
  • Mark One is the person who understands all the formulas in the game (I do not like the fact that there's a Bus Factor of 1 here). There might be 100,000 stats in the game (:wtc:). Basically impossible to fully QA this game, need all of us to find all these issues. Josh likens this to MtG with WotC how new cards interact with cards they had forgotten about until players find it.
  • "Each time we make a league we are blatantly cribbing from a non-ARPG game" (and yet still no rhythm game league). Delve started as "how can we do Minecraft?" and quite obviously morphed a bit, same with Harvest and Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley.
  • Jonathan vehemently against damage numbers...then someone showed him how its done in Elden Ring and now PoE2 will have damage numbers.
  • "We want to be an action game. Action games have dodge rolls.". Same reasoning for directional blocking...and some related un-announced mechanics.
  • Interesting interaction with a Tencent dev failing an early boss. Jonathan expects people to try again, having increased in skill in the fight. The player instead left to grind for better gear. Josh brought up that because this was a Chinese dev this person was expecting a gear-based solution, perhaps P2W (...is this racist?)
  • Question Jonathan has wanted people to ask: "Why do we have classes at all?". Initial PoE design was class-less, more akin to Dungeon Siege 1. Classes help clue players into how to build a character. Josh sees parallel with Jungian character archetypes.
  • Josh points out ID'ing items feels like a holdover from D+D, where you can put on un-ID'd items, but they could be cursed, so ID'ing them would remove that doubt, but that's not a thing in PoE. Jonathan's defense: double-dipping dopamine hit ability to have "near misses", which are things that can't be fully appreciated while in combat and item filters take away a good chunk of this as well (not insulting item filters since he was the one who implemented it). ID scrolls kinda suck, which is why PoE2 has the NPC to do it, and ID scrolls are rarer drops.
  • Jonathan finding himself drawn to games without jank these days, called out God of War (2018) and the Ori games ("Scary that the game that they're making now is in our genre"). Kinda concerning how much jank there is in games these days (he works on PoE, so he would know :haw:).
  • Assets used in Affliction (that he couldn't even remember the name of, which is slightly worrying) were actually assets from PoE2 that became too old to actually use in PoE2.
  • Jonathan couldn't really point out something they removed to improve the game, since it's mostly been streamlining things, like leech.
  • Jonathan thought WASD would be bad because of Pagan Online's implementation. Others on dev team were also skeptical because one control scheme might have a material advantage over the other, which Jonathan didn't think would be a big deal.
  • 5 answers to why melee sucks in PoE1: the aforementioned rig issue (animators absolutely hate working with them, says it takes 10x longer per class than it should; compared to PoE2's single rig. Most of the time they have to resorted to re-using an existing animation, especially with most skills not having weapon restrictions) [Jonathan pointed out that the Templar is left handed for some reason, which I never ever noticed :aaaaa:], too many buffs required that don't feel melee (totems, warcries; designed themselves into a corner on this one, but hinted at a massive overhaul somewhat soon), attack while moving doesn't really exist which means DPS downtime (PoE2 has a setup where there is some distance where the attack time also includes the travel time, for the Monk this is supposedly quite a large distance), attacks requiring very short animation times so that the players don't feel like they lose control of their character, didn't list a fifth (liar).
  • Weird lesson Jonathan has learned: "Everything is game design". Example: community communication. Big change to the game buried in patch notes = players likely to have less fun with the game. Post on why this change was made = players likely to have more fun with the game (Lake of Kalandra says "hi"). Same with Marketing. If Elden Ring wasn't marketed as a difficult game, players would have had less fun with it. Josh points out this concept exists in theater as "phenomenology".
  • GGG had a lot of interaction on reddit to start out because Jonathan was a redditor before a game developer and it didn't feel like work (so he's the one to blame!) until it eventually did (no word about reddit being a toxic cesspool :thunk:). Josh: negative comments deal chip damage, but positive comments don't restore it, and you can't just not read negative comments because you don't know they're negative until you read them. Jonathan says he's been more receptive to feedback, even negative, and change in the past 2 or 3 years.
  • Bad game that has a good system Jonathan has learned from. D4 inevitably brought up, Jonathan says he doesn't feel schadenfreude over it. Does call Starfield garbage. Hated the plot ("doesn't make narrative sense"), hated the massive hub area, gunplay was bad ("could tell from the first trailer") and too much junk inventory items (says Skyrim can have "cheese" because players realize it's junk but sci-fi sounding doohickey doesn't have that built-in innate knowledge). Did like the ship building system. Apparently one of the first things that gets brought up when designing a new league is "so we're going to do boat league now, right?", but no ship building plans.
  • Josh: what are you going to do in PoE2 to keep players actually in the game (i.e. not requiring 12 different tabs on a second monitor)? Jonathan brings up how before PoE shipped Jonathan wanted to have a fog of war on the skill tree but was convinced by Chris to not do this, which he's come around on and is too iconic now to ever get away from. Another idea was to have unlock conditions for revealing sections of the tree (personally against all of this). Having a skill tree as massive as it is fully revealed from the get-go was the least-bad option. Actually answering the question, brings up actually indicating how passive nodes will interact with your skills.
  • Jonathan disagrees with the thought that the big-rear end skill tree is a good way of filtering players, but do want to set the expectation early that there will be choices you need to make that have ramifications.
  • PoE2 will have the ability to preview changes to skills/stats on any sort of change (gear, passives, gem leveling).

Stream was being a dick and I want to go home, so ending post here.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
Tried the new league with my wife last night. The gimmick seems okay.

She is running the same glass-cannon shooty thing with traps this time and I am running the same tanky guy but focusing on life on hit/life regen with evasion/dodge instead of the usual armor/block. It was fun.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Frank Frank posted:

Yeah. Either lie dead on the floor or you can zone back into the fight if you don’t move at all, you remain completely invulnerable for a very long time

Well poo poo I didn't know about that invulnerability either. gently caress.

Beat searing exarch on the 4th or 5th attempt after spending some cash and getting better at balls (and waiting until they're gone before respawning).

Got another 30k or so EHP and about 40% more phys max hit: https://pobb.in/lia89ePlFas8

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
For buying gear, do you aim for exactly what you need with links and socket colors or is the expectation that you get something decent and then gamble on them for colors/links?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I FINALLY took down Exarch, thanks for the "waiting out the balls" strat. I don't know why it gave me so much trouble this time around (answer: dps still needs to go up).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

fknlo posted:

For buying gear, do you aim for exactly what you need with links and socket colors or is the expectation that you get something decent and then gamble on them for colors/links?

Unless it's a chest or two-weapon, socket/color/link it yourself.

If it's one of those two, I usually buy the 6L and color it myself.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

fknlo posted:

How far are you into unlocking the atlas? I liked this site and a few of their specific guides:

https://poe-atlas.com/early-map-farming/

But really you can just experiment yourself or type your favorite mechanic into youtube with 3.24 and probably find an interesting guide.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

WorldIndustries posted:

How far are you into unlocking the atlas? I liked this site and a few of their specific guides:

https://poe-atlas.com/early-map-farming/

But really you can just experiment yourself or type your favorite mechanic into youtube with 3.24 and probably find an interesting guide.

That one is basically what I started with. Kind of branched off in a few areas already. I'm not super far into the atlas yet though. Need one more T5 for completetion of those and the tiers before.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
This has been an absolute shitshow of a league for me, but I just got CoC DD online and...

lol

lmao

J
Jun 10, 2001

whypick1 posted:

Interview focused more on high level development

Thanks for summarizing all these interviews. Kinda scary that Mark1 is the only one with a full understanding of all the formulas though.

Hopefully they have something cool cooked up for melee, ancestor totems are such loving garbage.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
is there a build capable of farming t17s and uber pinnacles in the ~30div range?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thanks whypick

Assets used in Affliction (that he couldn’t even remember the name of, which is slightly worrying) were actually assets from PoE2 that became too old to actually use in PoE2

Lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

fknlo posted:

That one is basically what I started with. Kind of branched off in a few areas already. I'm not super far into the atlas yet though. Need one more T5 for completetion of those and the tiers before.

Honestly you'll see some guides to trees here and there but the reason you don't see them everywhere like you do with actual builds is that it's pretty hard to gently caress it up. If you focus on one or two mechanics you like doing, you're going to make some currency. Some strategies are definitely more lucrative than others, but it's not like your character's passive tree where you can gently caress it up and brick it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Trying to figure out where to go next with this Ignite DD. POB: https://poe.ninja/pob/1BbI

Have been following tripolarbear's guide: https://maxroll.gg/poe/build-guides/detonate-dead-elementalist-league-starter-guide

I have 13 raw div and another ~600c to play with. I think the next move is upgrade chest and shield to higher spell suppression tiers so that I can swap to a damage oriented anoint, and also go for dot multi on a new amulet. None of that would likely improve my overall EHP, for that I'll need to either switch the life craft on helm to phys taken as fire, or get a new helm that already has life to add that craft. I could also grind out a couple more levels to finish off two more armor passives in range of Energized Amour, maybe that's even lower hanging fruit.

Is there more obvious stuff I'm missing?

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

This has been an absolute shitshow of a league for me, but I just got CoC DD online and...

lol

lmao

Yeah. Its crazy good

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Well I hosed my first Shaper fight. Kept standing too close and getting hit by multiple balls.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Eater of World was super easy compared to Searing Exarch. Gotta finish up 10 boss Maven next.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
i have a mageblood and want to make an uber uber killer/t17 boss killer. I've looked at the armor stacking jugg but not sure if i wanna dump that much div into a build. Is there some other uber boss killer that's tanky enough to take to t17s as well?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Edmond Dantes posted:

lol

lmao

:same:

Now to get the pieces to buy/build a proper shield.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Further adventures in belt crafting! I need to divine it, decide what catalysts I want, and if I want a different crafted mod or not, but hooray:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Well I hosed my first Shaper fight. Kept standing too close and getting hit by multiple balls.

Please dont gently caress your fights or bosses within

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Erulisse posted:

Please dont gently caress your fights or bosses within

His problem is that he keeps touching the Shaper's balls.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

wemgo posted:

Yeah. Its crazy good

Pinwiz11 posted:

:same:

Now to get the pieces to buy/build a proper shield.
It's fantastic. I got two issues with it which are entirely my fault but they make me a bit hesitant to use it as a 'proper' starter for next league (I'm running the one-button Inquisitor variant), but hoooo poo poo:

- The campaign was a miserable experience. The guide recommended using the usual flame wall/rolling magma which I loving hate but ok, I'll use that until I get to Armageddon brand/cremate... but it only grabs Eldritch Battery after the CoC swap about lvl ~70 so mana is An Issue. I'm pretty sure I could have fixed this with some effort or put together a more comfortable/fun campaign loadout myself but I'm dumb and lazy v :v: v

- It needs quite a bit of stuff before you can actually start using it: At least two variant gems, two quality 20 gems, at least a 5-link and a bunch of respec points. I got to high red maps with an RF chief before swapping to this, so I had some money to throw at it (a div and a couple hundred chaos), but I can't see putting this online fresh out of the campaign without burning out from running merc lab. I actually tried to get the DD gem myself but out of ~20 runs I only saw the 'get a variant gem of the same gem' option 3 times, and all 3 rolled DD Of Scavenging :negative:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 16, 2024

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I found the "just run Merc Lab" a really bad tip.

At the lvl you are at the end of the campaign, it's much faster to just run Normal Lab, which I had down to 4mins per run at 68 after Kitava and made some nice spending money from other gems I accidentally got while going for "Give me a Variant Gem of this colour".

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I'm shopping for a helm and new body armor and ran across this:

Item Class: Helmets
Rarity: Rare
Blood Brow
Royal Burgonet
--------
Quality: +20% (augmented)
Armour: 499 (augmented)
--------
Requirements:
Level: 65
Str: 148
--------
Sockets: B-R R-R
--------
Item Level: 83
--------
6% of Physical Damage from Hits taken as Fire Damage (implicit)
12% increased Area of Effect (implicit)
--------
+29% to Chaos Resistance (fractured)
+98 to maximum Life
+1 to Level of all Minion Skill Gems
+26% to Fire Resistance
9% increased Mana Reservation Efficiency of Skills
7% of Physical Damage from Hits taken as Fire Damage (crafted)
Searing Exarch Item
Eater of Worlds Item
--------
Fractured Item
--------
Note: ~b/o 6 divine

Obviously the minion skill gems mod is worthless to me but everything else is super nice and I can rework the eldritch enchants pretty easily. Pull the trigger? My concern is that Precise Technique will stop working since I will be below the accuracy threshold. I can mitigate this somewhat by switching out Paradoxica for Dreamfeather but I'm not sure if it'll be enough (and I can't find where in PoB to check this).

Current PoB here:
https://pobb.in/LT9Xu2szgGpX

E: NM, I need to find another source of +int if I'm going to use Dreamfeather because I need to be able to use Enlighten.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 16, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
running merc lab is the significantly better option from a pure metaprogression standpoint, but running 4 minute normal labs is the far easier and less stressful option if you just want the gem and dgaf about the small chance to hit the exceptional gem craft

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I just used arma/cremation to get into yellow maps when I started CoC DD and then ran merc lab from there and it was fast/easy. Took 20 something runs though, still my favorite starter ever. The DD gem was only 20C and spraying steel was less even on Day 1/2 so you could have easily done whatever you wanted as arma and bought the gems, then maybe run a few labs to get the quality up if you want.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arma brand is way out of balance strong in campaign. You should be flying through with just that

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I was struggling with running Merc Lab when I realized that I had a level 90 Exang Miner just sitting there and then I started flying through it.

Obs, that means you've already leveled one character already but at this point mining Merc should be easier.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
lmao I just spent a small fortune getting ahold of the Arena Challenger forbidden flame/flesh combo and now that jewel set has disappeared from the build I was following.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

anyone feel like comparing/contrasting coc dd inquis vs. trickster hexblast mines with sandstorm visage? I have a coc dd character at endgame with about 15d invested and i'm feeling the grass is greener with mines. my gut tells me hexblast was stronger with similar investment back when i did it but probably significantly squishier. maybe i'm just lazy and like to not worry about map mods, i dunno. the damage doesn't feel quite as nuts with dd as i expected.