Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Been away a few days but here's where I'm at:

Need to get insulation paint but I'm hoping to paint it when I get home. Sadly the switches from the original don't fit the new pickguard so I need to order new, bigger ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I just got a custom Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian with the "cream" and mid boost toggles. It's the best big muff ever - it's the sound in my head that I try to make every other fuzz sound like. I'm in love.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Found out with time to spare that coil split and coil tap are not the same thing.

Final sanity check request. I want to be able to split both humbuckers individually to use either or both as single coils. I've got two CTS push-pull tone pots and two regular volume pots.

Every diagram I've found has the coil split on volume pots - is that simply How It Works, with coil taps being done on the volume pots? I have no clue if one's right or the other, my research fails me again.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The push pull is just a toggle I don’t think it matters what pot you do it on

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
It's more that I can't seem to find a diagram that covers using the tone pots to do it, and I'm not sure if I'm just barking up the wrong tree. It didn't help that I thought coil tap and coil split were the same thing.

GFS' printout doesn't really say which terminal I should solder the white wire to. Their diagram refers to it as coil tap. I could really use some "here is the exact diagram to follow if you want to be able to toggle your GFS Kwikplug humbuckers to single coil mode" help here - it's not easy to parse all the how-tos and come up with a diagram.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

ethanol posted:

The push pull is just a toggle I don’t think it matters what pot you do it on

Yeah it's a whole separate mechanism. On my LP the tone pots are the coil splits

MJP posted:

It's more that I can't seem to find a diagram that covers using the tone pots to do it, and I'm not sure if I'm just barking up the wrong tree. It didn't help that I thought coil tap and coil split were the same thing.

GFS' printout doesn't really say which terminal I should solder the white wire to. Their diagram refers to it as coil tap. I could really use some "here is the exact diagram to follow if you want to be able to toggle your GFS Kwikplug humbuckers to single coil mode" help here - it's not easy to parse all the how-tos and come up with a diagram.

You need it set up so that the white and the red are connected together and they are not connected to anything in humbucker mode. When you engage the switch, you should be connecting the red and white to ground.

Armacham fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 14, 2024

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

nah it doesn't matter

volume and tone pots are the same thing, the only difference is the tone pot has a capacitor soldered to ground

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

insane clown pussy posted:

nah it doesn't matter

volume and tone pots are the same thing, the only difference is the tone pot has a capacitor soldered to ground

Different tapers sometimes

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
test it one way if it works yay if not try another

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
The switch in a push-pull isn't electronically connected to the pot unless you wire it that way. It can be entirely independent of whatever the pot is doing and as long as the signal flow of the diagram is maintained it doesn't actually matter where the switch is related to the pot you're installing it on.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I'm back with more riffs. The best of 2003 this time ... the year I graduated college. Feels bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpNLj7BDll0

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Just refer to the GF paperwork for the correct colors

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

I'm back with more riffs. The best of 2003 this time ... the year I graduated college. Feels bad.

Very timely, Mrs. Auxiliary and I just started getting back into the Darkness and we've been jamming on that riff a lot. Goddamn they were so fun.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

fullroundaction posted:

Always enjoy these man. That LoG record has some banger riffs.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

field balm posted:

Always enjoy these man. That LoG record has some banger riffs.

Honestly the hardest album in 21 episodes to pick a riff from. Maybe some megadeth comes close but goddamn it’s nothing but bangers.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Very timely, Mrs. Auxiliary and I just started getting back into the Darkness and we've been jamming on that riff a lot. Goddamn they were so fun.

100% <3

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The darkness is so good. Yes goofy and a lot of people can't take them seriously but they're great guitarists, he's a great singer and that album was fantastic. I liked some of the next album or two as well. His channel, Justin Hawkins Rides again, is great to watch.

The song I was playing today that I don't think I've ever tried to play, Jimmy eat world - the middle. It's fun and easy.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The thing about fun and easy songs is they're usually the songs people actually want to hear, instead of the wankery a lot of us (myself definitely included) aspire to for no real reason. I've always had this unshakable feeling that "if *I* can play it, it simply must not be worth playing. Which is insane but guitarists are dumb as hell.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

So Revv D20 review. I've had a few days now. This seems to be a fantastic tube head with extra modern features to me. Perfect levels for bedroom/studio level recordings or just playing while keeping that tube amp depth. I set it up with an orange cab and that's a lot of fun and not blowing out my neighbors. It doesn't have a whole lot of gain (you should get g20 for gain) but it can still break up nicely on its own.. I would say somewhat similar to a deluxe reverb (without the reverb), depending on which deluxe reverb you're actually talking about. put the rat in front or a boost or whatever, it totally gets anywhere you want and sounds great. could gig just like this. Works really well with all my pedals.

so for portability it's a 10/10 for me, the head is like 5 lb and you just need a cab. you could easily use FOH or a FRFR if you wanted too, via its xlr but your speaker will need the virtual cab (IR) turned on (the d20 lets you do this onboard if you like)

Started integrating it into my more complicated 'studio' setup. So I have some real pedals going into the helix into the front of the amp. then also routing back to the helix via the amp fx send/return for a 2nd patch that can add reverbs or flangers or what not. so the signal is making two seperate passes through the helix, one on each helix CPU on its own separate path. I did have a noise issue there for a bit but I found the source and fixed it (a helix setting was duplicating the signal into the front of the d20).

I setup a real sm57 to record the orange cab for comparison, or capture the signal right before the cab and using a cab IR with the d20's loadbox. Then it's totally silent. I can also DI it out with no IR. It's just a real nice setup with pretty much control over the whole patch.

That said the bulk of what I've done is figure out how to use this to patch in real tubes where I want them. If you just desire to stick to modeling and tubeless the d20 is going backwards.

for in the room immediacy, just plug in and go, at usable levels, I think it's a fantastic little amp so far. Seemingly a lot cheaper than the competition for this amount of features and good tone in a tube amp

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

moneybags plz grab a Soldano Astro 20 and give us a comparo.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Over twice the price! And not seeing built in attenuation

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

BizarroAzrael posted:

Been away a few days but here's where I'm at:

Need to get insulation paint but I'm hoping to paint it when I get home. Sadly the switches from the original don't fit the new pickguard so I need to order new, bigger ones.

nice i bet this will be a sick guitar when you're done. mustangs are comfy as hell and filter trons sound awesome.

sometimes i think about one of those telesonics like from popular 2000s teen film Freaky Friday but yknow

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

landgrabber posted:

nice i bet this will be a sick guitar when you're done. mustangs are comfy as hell and filter trons sound awesome.

sometimes i think about one of those telesonics like from popular 2000s teen film Freaky Friday but yknow

Love the high school band that has access to a full marshall stack and a fender super reverb

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
would it be sick as hell to get a mesa boogie v twin pedal or would it be annoying and finicky?

also do you think it would sound $300 worth of different from the regular preamp in a jcm800

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anyone who doesn’t mostly play metal: you do yourself a disservice by not, at least, trying filtertrons. They are wholly their own thing and arguably the third greatest after Tele bridge and PAF.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Anyone who doesn’t mostly play metal: you do yourself a disservice by not, at least, trying filtertrons. They are wholly their own thing and arguably the third greatest after Tele bridge and PAF.

P90!

I do need something with filtertrons thooo

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
can confirm, I spent like 3 hours in a store one day going back and forth between p90s and filtertrons and I left with the gretsch

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
metaltrons

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Get one of each. I own 5 electrics and I don't think I own two guitars with the same pickups aside from my strat that's in pieces and will likely never get rebuilt.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
mark knopfler. how the gently caress does he do it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's the bandanas.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

moon demon posted:

mark knopfler. how the gently caress does he do it

Isn't he all about finger style on position 4 on a strat

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Armacham posted:

Isn't he all about finger style on position 4 on a strat

yea, very sproingy.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Knopflers poo poo just always sounded good any guitar he picked up and his signal chain was extremely basic. It's all in the finger style.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

every guitarist from every genre and walk of life agrees on one thing: money for nothin' tone is hard as hell.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I thought everybody was aware that the sounds came from his fingers but the tone, as always, comes straight from the rear end

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That amp tone was a complete accident of unexpected microphone placement while trying to channel ZZ Top and Mark Knopfler himself has said he's never managed to dial it in 100% perfectly ever since the original recording session

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I actually didn’t mean to make a walk of life pun.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

luchadornado posted:

Knopflers poo poo just always sounded good any guitar he picked up and his signal chain was extremely basic. It's all in the finger style.

I've tried his fingerstyle but I always get blisters on my litt-
*dragged offstage by large hook*

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Verman posted:

The darkness is so good. Yes goofy and a lot of people can't take them seriously but they're great guitarists, he's a great singer and that album was fantastic. I liked some of the next album or two as well. His channel, Justin Hawkins Rides again, is great to watch.

The song I was playing today that I don't think I've ever tried to play, Jimmy eat world - the middle. It's fun and easy.

I like to contest the Darkness and Steel Panther because on the surface they’re both doing the same gag but they illustrate the difference well between “camp” and “being a joke”. The Darkness are silly but with a level of sincerity running through their music and they write legitimately good songs. Steel Panther just suck, use their gimmick to cover up how much they suck and half their shtick is tedious ironic-not-ironic misogyny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

i remember the first time i put on XTC's Nonsuch album, after coming across Then She Appeared, andy
partridge used a gretsch on a lot of that album.

i remember having misgivings about it because it starts with a huge cheesy open D chord, super jangly.

and then i heard the next chord, that fuckin G6sus2 or whatever it is, with a ton of notes in it, and it reinstated all my interest and then some.

and yeah even though i'm focused on emo so much, i love XTC lol. particularly the skylarking-apple venus era.