Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
So I keep seeing colony wipe stories come up in this thread...

What starts The Thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HopperUK posted:

There aren't feet or shoes in the game either, I think you're supposed to sort of assume some people would have them.

None of the splashscreens show feet or shoes. :colbert:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
if you attune to level 2 on the obelisk, you'll start to get the events that can easily wipe a colony

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, tier 1 is easily handled by any colony with a decent melee fighter and some ranged. I'd activate the first tier almost immediately if you don't start completely defenseless.
Tier 2 is when poo poo gets real.

I'm scared to imagine what the stuff on tier 3 is capable of.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Doomykins posted:

So I keep seeing colony wipe stories come up in this thread...

What starts The Thing?

you can get it on various joiners, I know for sure I got it from a colonist that was duplicated by one of the obelisk types but I'm pretty sure you can also get a joiner from other incidents that can carry it. a warning sign seems to be organ decay although I think it's likely there's variations that have different warning signs or just don't have any

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

lmao dude got sucked into the labyrinth and he couldn't do medical so he was kinda hosed and would've bled out if I hadn't cheated. Super fun though. I'm only a couple of hours in and I'm loving this dlc so far.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Biggest change I’d like to see would be the ability to be more proactive when dealing with certain events. Stuff like the cube or the metalhorrors you can’t really do anything about until you’ve researched the relevant thing enough times, and there’s no way to accelerate that process. The cube is a funny meme and all, but it’s just been a colony nuisance for months and months and there’s no indication I’m any closer to finishing the event. I’ve put it in a room that only the researchers are zoned to have access to, and they’ve been researching it on cooldown for almost a year now with no progress. It still randomly infects colonists with curiosity even though they’ve never seen or touched the thing.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 15, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Guess what, you won't finish it

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there not actually an end to the event like there is with the obelisks? I’m fine with just drop podding it away but the research text explicitly says there’s a way to end it by researching it enough.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there not actually an end to the event like there is with the obelisks? I’m fine with just drop podding it away but the research text explicitly says there’s a way to end it by researching it enough.

Well yes, the researchers would say that, wouldn’t they?

(I have not yet been cubed)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I figure I should share a Biotech story since I had one with my Anomaly colony. :3:

I got a beggar event which was four children asking for ten medicine. One had great traits and it fit my colony roleplay of suspiciously "kind" hosts so I tried to arrest all four to adopt them. This started a fight that we won but I felt bad about chopping off limbs. I tried again with fists only and still deleted a finger and an arm. It's a shame a lopsided arrest still leads to hostile resistance given how Rimworld melee works!

The fourth ran off the map but we saved and imprisoned the other three. The minmaxed kid was recruitable but the other two were unwavering. Oops! Should've checked that but hey, enslaving them is a kindness on this Rim anyway. I'm keeping them in good living spaces with safe jobs until I finish my current huge manpower project in tiling all lived-in floors and smoothing down walls. They'll be free to go once adults and after that. The children yearn for the stone cutting bench.

The strong kid recruited also had a minor passion in construction and asking them to help with the mega project got them to 11 by the time they became a teenager. You need to prepare easy jobs en masse ahead of time but kids learn quick so you can raise gap fillers in your colony skill pool.

It's not all war crimes, I swear. I want to go for that spookiness where we're benevolent but guided by strange impulses, almost like I can see the stats and backstory of anyone by clicking on them...

On the note of accidentally pulping a child's arm I'm aggressively buying stun batons(vanilla expanded nonlethal weaponry) this run to see how it goes with catching spooky monsters and ungrateful guests.

Flesh Forge posted:

you can get it on various joiners, I know for sure I got it from a colonist that was duplicated by one of the obelisk types but I'm pretty sure you can also get a joiner from other incidents that can carry it. a warning sign seems to be organ decay although I think it's likely there's variations that have different warning signs or just don't have any

I accepted a leathery-skinned lady who has a doubled focus on researching the occult and the text explicitly warned me she's hiding something. :ohdear:

I hope she's a stranded extraplanar being that wants to go home or something and we help each other out so she can leave whenever, it's great to get a dedicated dark study colonist.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 15, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eiba posted:

I'm not sure what long term value Anomaly will have for the game, but I have to admit, it's a lot more fun than I was expecting because I have no idea what to expect at any moment.

Once all the systems are known, and the optimal counter plays are just a matter of execution, it will hit very differently.

There are a fair number of base management tools, but they're all locked behind the new type of research that involves imprisoning monsters. Very few of the colonies I've played in the past would take a cosmic horror and go "hmm, I wonder what I could learn from this if I strap it down and do experiments on it" so I thought I'd just ignore that part of the game. But that's all Anomaly is, so I decided to RP a group of amoral scientists and honestly, it's been a ton of fun. The absurd persistence of hostile factions makes more sense in the context of the truly insane, incredibly dangerous research you're doing. Not to mention all the eldritch rituals you've done to teleport their people to your base to suck the youth out of them.

But as fun as this has been for a single playthrough, I really don't know what kind of longevity the features of this expansion could really have.

Some of the encounters are just fun different challenges, even if you know how they work they're different from regular raids which is welcome.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This game is defined by every "run" being a story of your own choosing. If you want to do a spooky run, activate the monolith, no need to do it every time. Same deal as with Biotech/Machinator, Royalty, etc really.
I'm also assuming it has its own "win" condition, so it's just another thing to focus on, instead of honor/shipbuilding.

You can also probably just keep the monolith on tier one, and get the benefit of the easy anomalies and the basic void research without really having to interact with the base-ending stuff. Kind of like never dipping deep into psycasts/royal titles.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

when you research it enough times an option becomes available to shut it off. you can also destroy it and something will happen in response.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

The devil showed up so I recruited him

He's been with me a few years at this point and hasn't backstabbed me so I reckon I'm good. His social used to be 17, it's atrophied a bit. He showed up with a good condition revolver and "Likes wearing red."

Compared to this guy: I took one look at that ability of his and said "nope I need to study you"

which I have been doing, for Advanced Anomaly research points.

also continually farming hemogen packs from him so that when the game throws him a bone and forces an escape he'll be easy to recapture. putting his blood in my colonists hasn't been an issue so far!!

bonus, here's what a successful chronophagy ritual looks like:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well gently caress I am never building a biosculpter again

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

This game is defined by every "run" being a story of your own choosing.

I knew this game ruled when my little farmhouse settlement got raided years ago. They shot my dog, and I got mad irl lol

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Apparently bugs are dramatically more intellegent than they used to be: instead of walking through a hallway of traps they smashed through the wall and ate everyone, what assholes.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
lmao good

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
A dark scholar asked to join my crew and he can make creatures explode into a pile of meat. He says he only uses it to butcher animals and I'm like buddy I'm already thinking about how to use that against raiders

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Combine him with the unnatural corpse and make infinite meat!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I just realized that a mod like Combat Extended is perfect for Anomaly, because running out of ammo while faceless horrors charge your home is absolutely a horror trope.

Netrunner
Aug 31, 2019

Does it make sense to just buy the base game if I want to check this out? I feel like buying any/all of the DLCs might overwhelm me with an insane amount of stuff from the jump.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you have the money they're all quite good, if you're only going to get one I might suggest Biotech, but yeah the base game is good and you can add a lot of mods if you want more content as it's pricey to get everything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Netrunner posted:

Does it make sense to just buy the base game if I want to check this out? I feel like buying any/all of the DLCs might overwhelm me with an insane amount of stuff from the jump.

That's absolutely a good idea because all the DLCs add absolutely extensive systems into every part of the game.

Even the base game without mods got a poo poo ton of content.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

HelloSailorSign posted:

I just realized that a mod like Combat Extended is perfect for Anomaly, because running out of ammo while faceless horrors charge your home is absolutely a horror trope.

Yep! Looks like 1.5 version isnt too far away.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

HelloSailorSign posted:

The idea is there but I feel like the way everyone runs around in a full combat loadout 24/7 kind of detracts from it. There's no desperate push to get to the armory for your rifle or heavy weapons.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Netrunner posted:

This is a fine idea and a great way to start out. However once you're ready the DLCs are extremely modular and it's easy to do things like just clicking the "don't use ideoligions" box during game start to avoid that complexity if you don't want to deal with it right away.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The trick was just keep blasting, have good docs, and it works fine. Ngl it was real iffy for a second there. Also all my days of prep were wasted. Pretty unexpected. The cryo chamber is now my lab but we're mega outta food and are going to have to really bone down on temp control, the hot season snuck back up on me. Dude got his throat ripped and everything, but we patched him up fine.

It was really pretty wild, as soon as i cracked the wall they started running around but then didn't attack, even when i shot they didn't come straight at us. I was hoping i could wedge through the door and trick them into going down the trap hall, but nope they just wouldn't do it. I had to actually go inside and then try to run back out, it was a total clusterfuck. 1 trap got triggered out of maybe 20 that I laid down. At least I won't need to bother building any more for the foreseeable future.

Got to try and think up a way to get to this peace meeting before it expires or otherwise gets botched, but it's already so warm that it might not be safe to make it there and back within the 2 days it would take to walk. Improving relations with somebody would be a huge benefit for once.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

isndl posted:

The idea is there but I feel like the way everyone runs around in a full combat loadout 24/7 kind of detracts from it. There's no desperate push to get to the armory for your rifle or heavy weapons.

Heavy weapons in CE are, well, heavy. Unless you have additional mod interactions going on you are going to run out of your combat load out pretty quickly.

I think most of the time even my standard riflemen have a couple reloads on them and then they are out, though I tend to have some ammo stashed in fighting emplacements.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
when using CE, I started bringing MG ammo for my gunner on the rest of the squad and using them for flanking.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone tried doing the vampire start and going for the monolith? Feels like it could be a very thematic playthrough.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Are there any mods that make the physical appearance of the world less dark? I'm squinting to tell the characters from the background. I need higher contrast.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
Lmao I got a visitor wants to spend a few nights at Evil Dead summer camp in trade for a really good new member if she lives. "Oh, that unnatural thing chained up in the library? That's just my brother. The one you met outside is my dad. Don't worry, he won't bite."

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Looks like Character Editor is a bit funky, eh?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

little bit

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it's... not... really working right now. Enough's changed with pawn generation to throw it for a loop and it was kind of barely maintained to begin with.

On the upside Pawn Editor finally went live and seems to more or less work. It's a bit buggy in its own ways but I haven't seen anything game-ending yet, and while its lacking some stuff character editor did pretty much all of that was weird accessory stuff you probably weren't using anyway.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
A word of warning to anyone whose game starts chugging for seemingly no discernible reason: check your stockpile logic.

My game will chug when stockpiles get accidentally linked to other stockpiles, shelves that have complicated rules and exceptions. I don't know why, really. It's like my haulers can't decide between where to go.

Weird stockpiles, for me, really is the difference between a buttery smooth experience and a janky one. In this game I do have 6 or so stockpiles. I have my main one set to basically accept everything at normal priority and then I have my specialty stockpiles littered throughout the map set at preferred or important and that has worked fine.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Pretty new to rimworld, is there some kind of functionality or mod that lets me build stuff out of whatever stone bricks I have handy? For example if I have a mismatch of a lot of different types of brick and I want to build something large I'd rather not have to individually drag out sections until I run out of material, just say something like "any stone is fine". Is there something for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

George Sex - REAL posted:

A word of warning to anyone whose game starts chugging for seemingly no discernible reason: check your stockpile logic.

My game will chug when stockpiles get accidentally linked to other stockpiles, shelves that have complicated rules and exceptions. I don't know why, really. It's like my haulers can't decide between where to go.

Weird stockpiles, for me, really is the difference between a buttery smooth experience and a janky one. In this game I do have 6 or so stockpiles. I have my main one set to basically accept everything at normal priority and then I have my specialty stockpiles littered throughout the map set at preferred or important and that has worked fine.

There's a bug where running out of space in your stockpiles will tank your framerate which might be what you're seeing. If you have complicated stockpile rules I can easily see single item types getting missed and having nowhere to go as a result.

The issue was reported during unstable testing but either they haven't figured out the fix or other higher issues were deemed higher priority. They're aware of it at least.