Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Extremely long post for extremely low stakes

AITA for watching the first episode

I am tired of jokes about my ability to make mundane problems the most in-depth dramatic poo poo ever. The first such incident occurred in 1956 when

Lieutenant Dan fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I am tired of jokes about my ability to make mundane problems the most in-depth dramatic poo poo ever.

I'm not- mostly because you've never told one :smug:

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

CommissarMega posted:

I'm not- mostly because you've never told one :smug:

serves me right for not quoting the correct post (I have now quoted the correct post)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for “not allowing my husband to visit his dying grandmother”?

quote:

Not my main, as this is quite personal and I don’t want my husband to find it. All names are fake.

I know the title makes me sound pretty horrible. Before you judge me, please try to understand my point of view.

My (32F) husband (34M) , let’s call him Caleb, has a very close relationship with his grandparents (“Marie” and “Tom”) They raised him and his siblings because his parents were absent. Obviously, Caleb sees them as his parental figures and loves them. So do I. They are wonderful, kind people and I will forever be thankful to them for raising my husband so well and treating me with such love.

Caleb’s parents live in Germany, and me and Caleb live in Canada (we moved for my job and better quality of life for our children (3F, 6M, 7F). The flight to visit them is around 9 hours, so visits are rare (once or twice every two years).

Unfortunately, in the summer of 2023, Marie (Caleb’s mom) got diagnosed with a tumour and started getting very sick. We were all devastated and went to spend the whole summer with her in Germany. Her condition remained stable-ish for the whole time and we were hopeful we would have many more years with her.

In October, she had a heart attack and was hospitalized. We thought it was the end. Our whole family, and Caleb’s brothers and sisters went to Germany, preparing to say our good-bye. Turns out she got better and was stable enough to go home. Of course everyone was estactic.

The same situation happened again this January and this March. Heart attack, hospitalized, it looked like it was over. But then again, she got better and we all went back home. Each time, we buy tickets to Germany and back for our whole family, which is about 5-6K. Plus accommodations, plus having to take time off of work and school, which is difficult.

Last week, my husband got a call that Marie had another heart attack. I told him he could go alone, but me and the kids would stay and he would have to buy his own plane ticket (I am the main income earner). Reason is because I can’t take more time off of work, and we cant afford to buy more plane tickets. I also find it difficult to say our heartfelt good-byes every time, only to repeat it two months later.

Caleb was outraged that I wouldn’t let him visit his dying grandmother, calling me all kinds of names, saying I was setting a terrible example for our children. After hearing Marie was okay this time again as well, he calmed down a bit but is giving me the cold shoulder and will refuse to talk to me or acknowledge my presence.

I don’t know what to do. We are comfortable, but can’t afford to take plane trips every few months for who knows how long. And I am not “keeping my husband away from his grandmother”, I am just saying he has to pay for his own ticket if he wants to go.

AITA?

I can only imagine the grandmother cackling, rubbing her hands with glee. “That’s right, I lived! Again!”

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Divorce his rear end. Then he can move up with dear old granny and be there every time she stubs a toe and declares a family emergency.
I say this as someone who has had several grandparents die. These many heart attacks are a little sus, if I'm being honest. EIther Grandma is not taking proper care of herself, or she's enjoying the attention every time she's "on deaths doorstep" and everyone flocks in to see her for what might be the last time.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 16, 2024

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

AITA for telling my husband his off grid lifestyle is unrealistic and hurting me?

this one has it all, including doing the math

quote:

My (29F) husband (43M) is completely off-grid. Or as off-grid as you can be living in a metropolitan area in a first world country in the modern era.

He doesn't have a bank account and keeps all his money in cash, he doesn't have any streaming services just 1000s of dvds, vcrs, cds, vinyl and songs stored on an old ipod from 2003. He does have a phone, though he didn't before we met and it was a compromise we agreed on when we got married, though it is a very cheap brick phone without even a camera and only about 3 people have his phone number. He doesn't own any items of technology capable of having an Internet connection, he doesn't drive and he doesn't take pictures or allow them to be taken of him.

I don't necessarily think he's become more of a shut in in the years we've been together but it used to be a funny quirk but it has now become more difficult and more challenging for me for him to sustain it. I don't have any pictures of him, I can't catch up with shows my friends like because he won't let me put our address into any streaming service or website. I have a computer for work but I'm not allowed to use it when he's in the room or put it in a room he ever walks through. I find it hard to contact him because he doesn't value having a phone so he'll just leave it places because he's not used to it. We live in a place with good public transport but if he ever needs driven anywhere I have to drive him. (Edited to add he won't even call a taxi company because he doesn't want them having his number)

I never used to think being off grid was unrealistic but in the last 5/6years (we have been together 11 years and married 9) it has struck me as less and less maintainable. He has turned down jobs because they won't pay him in cash or keep him in written books rather than a digital system. I've been wanting kids for a long time but I don't think I can raise them in this environment.

Whenever I mention this to him he says I'm acting like someone who can't live without the Internet and acts like this is somehow shallow of me because people of our parents generation lived long lives pre social media without phones etc.

Yesterday I snapped at him when he asked me to turn off my phone (smartphone) because he was in the room and I said that I find his lifestyle choices very stubborn, irresponsible, unrealistic and old fashioned, that he is not gaining anything from living so firmly in the past and that his choices hurt me, our relationship and our future.

He said it really wasn't that big of a deal and that I shouldn't live a life that revolves so much around technology because it makes me a mean bitch and forget the small things in life. Then he stormed off and we haven't spoken since yesterday so... AITA? im aware I could've phrased my complaint better but its just exhausting to deal with and he's never been receptive to my bringing it up.

it gets worse in the comments:

quote:

You met when you were 13 and he was 28? Yeah, don't have kids with a predator either way.

quote:

He was I think 26 and I was 13 yes.

Haha before reading these comments I never viewed our relationship as predatory or had thought about it before, he was a good friend of the family and we didn't start dating until I was 18, it was all very above board but the fact so many people are mentioning it does make me think.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AceClown fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 16, 2024

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

AceClown posted:

AITA for telling my husband his off grid lifestyle is unrealistic and hurting me?

I sure wonder why this man who dated a 13 year old goes to great lengths to avoid being photographed or recorded

mystes
May 31, 2006

AceClown posted:

Oops all red flags

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

AceClown posted:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

4) Related to the above, please take a moment to take a look at the ages in stories and do some math. There's nothing funny about someone in their twenties grooming someone in their teens because now they're both adults.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Here, have a different tech story then:

AITA for not being grateful for a birthday gift and making it super clear that I don’t want this and clearly they can not listen

quote:

I am in my 50s and I am sick of getting technology for gifts. My kids are all into tech, they always buy the newest stuff and for years I have beeen trying to get it through their heads I don’t want it. I will upgrade when I need to but I am so sick of relearning technology.

I work on the computer for work 8 hours a day and when I get home I don’t want to mess around with tech to make it work. Sometimes I also don’t want to be staring at a screen in my downtime.

My biggest pet peeve about this was them getting me something and then get annoyed if I ask for help setting stuff up. I used to have a bunny tv and i don’t use cable or streaming platforms. The tv worked fine and I was thinking of getting a Roku. They knew I wanted a Roku. They got me the worlds most frustrating smart tv. Half the time it won’t connect to the free tv networks. I hate that tv, and it is in my basement. It’s a Samsungs smart tv

I have made it so clear I don’t want tech. Christmas they got me new Bluetooth headphones. I couldn’t get them to pair, it took my DIL an hour to make it work. Whole time everyone is pissed I asked for help.

So I really dislike getting tech, I asked for my birthday if they wanted to get me something get me a book off a list or gift card.

I got a tablet, and they told me I can download book. I don’t want to read books on a drat screen. This was my breaking point. I gave it back and told them I don’t want it. This started an argument with them. By the end I was asking why they can’t loving listen to me and I am done with this.

My son called me a jerk for being ungrateful.

Edit: I don’t care how much cheaper ebooks are, I don’t enjoy reading from a screen. I just don’t

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My father used to do that kind of poo poo to my mother all the time. She was so tech illiterate that she insisted you had to turn a cell phone off in order to hang it up. So my father got her a Nintendo DS for Christmas.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

AIW- My husband embarrassed me in front of our friends

quote:

My husband and I are both 28 years old and we were hanging out with our friends over the weekend. Theres this girl Sara(F21) that was at the hang out and she’s a fitness girlie. Sara was talking about her workout routine and my husband started talking with her since he lifts and they were talking about how much they lift. She also mentions she’s getting certified to be a personal trainer and then my husband said “my wife will be your first success story” he also said “yeah she needs to lose weight but she’s been unmotivated and maybe if she has you training her then she will want to have a killer body too”

I swear he said this in front of everyone. He had some drinks too and some of our friends around us were laughing, including myself to avoid this awkward and embarrassing moment

Sara starts going on about how she use to be fat and she turned her life around after losing weight and how she majored in nutrition. My husband starts talking about my unhealthy eating habits and how I eat all the snacks in the house and I finished all the cake from my birthday in 2 days when my husband only had one slice of the cake. She was like “ooo I use to be like that. I get it I use to be 160 pounds” and my husband said “that’s about how much my wife weighs, baby how much you weigh like 165-170 now?”

I was fuming at this point. My friend got me out of there and told me that our other friend needed help with her something inside the house. I started crying in my friends room

My husband didn’t even know he did anything wrong. He thought he was just having conversation and trying to help because I’ve been talking about starting my weight loss journey. I DON’T NEED HER HELP AND I DON’T WANT HER HELP. He goes “wow someone’s jealous aww,” he tried saying it in a cutesy way as if this is funny like read the f*cking room. He thinks I’m overreacting

Throwaway account. I posted this on other subs I really need to talk to someone.

ETA: people kept messaging me asking what my height is. I’ll just add it on here. Sara and me are about the same height she’s probably one inch taller than me but I’m 5’2.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Gonna need to know how tall you are before deciding whether or not your husband is an rear end in a top hat for insulting and humiliating you in front of all your friends while trying to hit on someone just over drinking age.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I imagine they were asking because OP's implied weight is already healthy for women of a certain height and wouldn't require a "weight loss journey."

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AceClown posted:

Wow I dodged a bullet, was going to post that but didn't see the comments about 13, in the text she was 18 when they got together which I thought was a bad enough age gap.

So hey have some content

My [34F] boyfriend [33M] won’t tell his friends to not invite their best friend

quote:

I’ll try to not make this confusing, but it might get a bit confusing.

My boyfriend got me to start playing a certain game that he plays with his friends. One of them is married and invites his wife to join the Discord with us despite not playing herself. The problem is their friend. She doesn’t play the game and joins for the social aspect. Unfortunately, the social aspect is basically her talking about sexual acts such as blowing dudes and how she wants this guys she is talking with to leave his girlfriend so she can get with him. My partner asked me to play the game last night and I essentially told him that if she is there then I won’t be and I asked that he no longer have her in the Discord.

We’ve now been fighting about it since last night as he thinks I asked him to not play with his friends if she is present when in reality I asked him to just not have her there. I’m not the only one to have said something about her. Someone else in the group has said she is a bit much and my partner has admitted he has more fun when she’s not present. He has told his friends about me being uncomfortable with something they have said without me asking (which was incredibly embarrassing for me) and now that I am finally asking him to do something about someone I am actually legitimately uncomfortable with because it is consistent behaviour he’s starting a fight claiming I am asking him to not play with his friends when that was never the ask.

Am I overreacting?

Edit: I’ve broken up with him.

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 16, 2024

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Troublemaker posted:

AIW- My husband embarrassed me in front of our friends

God, what a slime bucket. This is the sleaze that brings me to this thread.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

MagusofStars posted:

:wtf:

It's nice that you enjoy spending time together but y'all can't handle being apart for the couple minutes it takes you to brush your teeth? Really?

Pffft, the real question is do they poop together? If you're not pooping together, I mean, why get married at all?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

AceClown posted:

Also this isn't even off-grid? Off-grid is about not relying on public utilities like water, gas, electricity, and internet. Like okay, dude's clearly paranoid about the internet, but otherwise he's extremely on-grid, and just has loads of old tech. Like what's powering his numerous record, DVD, and VCR players?

It just sounds like he's an old person. Ahem.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Shanghaied posted:

Also this isn't even off-grid? Off-grid is about not relying on public utilities like water, gas, electricity, and internet. Like okay, dude's clearly paranoid about the internet, but otherwise he's extremely on-grid, and just has loads of old tech. Like what's powering his numerous record, DVD, and VCR players?

Off grid meaning hiding from the government. He didn’t pay taxes either and was making less than half minimum wage

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITB for telling my sister to not listen to my friend because he is dumb?

quote:

My(22F) friends were coming over to hangout the other day they were told to arrive for 6pm only one person came way before six and that was Leo(20M). I told Leo to wait in the living room where my little sister(17) was doing her homework, while I was getting things ready my sister called me to help her answer a question, it was physics and I never did good in that subject in highschool. she told me something about two vehicles coliding into each other and she needed to figure out the mass of one and the speed of the other after scratching my brain for so long I told her to google it, no luck there either.

Leo just blurted out the answers, my sister listend and wrote them down, I told her don't listen to him because out of everyone in our friend group he is the only one who never went to uni plus he is a goofball idiot, I advised her to wait until my other friends arrived, Leo went back to staying quiet on the sofa I could have seen that my comment made him depressed, i did feel bad but I was telling the truth who cares if it was harsh.

my other friend(21M) arrived and my sister asked him the same question, he looked at Leo and asked why we never asked Leo , I told him Leo might be wrong since he never went to uni, friend just laughs and informed me that Leo is the one who thought him geometery. friend then asked for a paper and and pen, gave it to Leo and told him to explain his answer to my sister.

Leo just did the equations and wrote a whole diagram for my sister, i still insisted she don't take advice from him but it was drawing close to 6pm.

apparently my sister got the question right and was awarded extra points for her little diagram she copied from Leo. sister kept rubbing it in my face that i underestimated Leo but was I wrong for looking out for her?

can't even spell

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Leo is also only 20 and may choose to go to uni you utter snob.

Having gone to uni and been taught a lot by people who didn't "lol, lmao".

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Hughlander posted:

Off grid meaning hiding from the government. He didn’t pay taxes either and was making less than half minimum wage

Honestly I just assumed he is legally prohibited from using computers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

Honestly I just assumed he is legally prohibited from using computers.

Hes banned from the ones at the library, thats for sure

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Mx. posted:

can't even spell

Lmao, okay you went to university. As someone who teaches at an university, I can tell you there's no shortage of "goofball idiots" at universities (even among faculty and staff lol), so you can drop your loving attitude lol. A lot of good your little bachelor's degree did you, still couldn't solve a loving high school physics problem.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Shanghaied posted:

Lmao, okay you went to university. As someone who teaches at an university, I can tell you there's no shortage of "goofball idiots" at universities (even among faculty and staff lol), so you can drop your loving attitude lol. A lot of good your little bachelor's degree did you, still couldn't solve a loving high school physics problem.

It's not a uni thing, it's an insecurity thing. They want to find people they can feel superior to, and "he didn't go to uni" is just an arbitrary justification

Probably self conscious about not knowing the answer, too

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Shanghaied posted:

I figured given the aversion to having his picture and address anywhere, he's probably committed a(nother) crime and is hiding from the police.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

ApplesandOranges posted:

AITA for “not allowing my husband to visit his dying grandmother”?

I can only imagine the grandmother cackling, rubbing her hands with glee. “That’s right, I lived! Again!”

This is a weird one and a bit of a function of being overseas. It's a weird conversation to have but it's possible to acknowledge that logistics means that you might not be there when dying happens but still enjoy the time you have seeing them when you do get across the ocean

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Fiancée F23 wants to call off wedding because because I 26M would save my 3YO niece before her dogs in a hypothetical fire… how can I explain to her my reasoning?

quote:

I recently got engaged to my fiancée about two months ago. Everything was fine until two days ago. She has two dogs and a cat. She loves them and essentially see them as her “fur babies”. I like them too. I like pets in general but not to the extent of calling them my kids or anything like that… I personally find it ridiculous. But it’s harmless… so whatever.

My sister has a 3YO daughter who literally adores me. She always so excited to see me and I get her gifts from time to time. My sister and her husband were going to an event and they left her with me and my fiancee for the few hours. She, I and my fiancee were watching a l movie and the subject of fire rescue came up. For some awkward reason, she asked me if there was a fire who I would save first: her, my niece or her dogs? I told her I’d do my best to save the two of them: her and my niece. I would put my own life at risk to save them. She said what about the dogs. I told her I would try to save them but her and my niece come first and it’s not even close.

She got mad and started saying I am putting my niece above my own family. I told her I don’t know what her logic is but there is no way I would put the dogs, as much as I like them, above my niece, a little human being with whom I share 25 percent of my DNA.

She then started saying that I know how much her dogs mean to her and if I loved her, I would value them as much as I value her. I told her I value her a lot more than she can imagine. But when it comes to saving my niece or the dogs, there is no ambiguity… it’s always gonna be my niece.

She even mentioned how I should even save the dogs before her. I told her the only other being I would put before her is our child, when we have one. Otherwise I would always save her before her pets.

Since then she is been giving me a hard time. She has also been acting different with the dogs. I used to feed the dogs every morning, now she rushes to do it so I don’t do it. She takes them on walk by herself without telling me and is essentially trying to take me out of the equation when it comes with the dogs.

I talked to her about it yesterday and she said she is not sure she wants to marry me anymore because I don’t value her fur babies. Mmh

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
The dogs are already outside barking their heads off because they're way better at noticing fire and trouble than humans. Meanwhile, the three year old niece is charging back in to save her favorite T-shirt and needs to be rescued.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I've been dating my girlfriend for like a million years and I read the "feeding each other and holding hands while eating" story to her and she said it was "really loving weird" so it's not just me lol

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

Mx. posted:

Fiancée F23 wants to call off wedding because because I 26M would save my 3YO niece before her dogs in a hypothetical fire… how can I explain to her my reasoning?

He just needs to explain it more logically so she gets it.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Captain Yossarian posted:

I've been dating my girlfriend for like a million years and I read the "feeding each other and holding hands while eating" story to her and she said it was "really loving weird" so it's not just me lol

My wife and I used to often eat off a single big plate (less so since we had a kid) and some of our friends found that incredibly gross and weird. One guy glared angrily as we ate a takeaway kebab between us then suddenly shouted “how do you know how much is yours??” and stormed out. Nevertheless we are right there with you on the touching/feeding each other. Thinking about it is actually putting me off the food I’m eating right now, on my own.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mx. posted:

But it’s harmless… so whatever.

That’s where you’re wrong!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Mx. posted:

She even mentioned how I should even save the dogs before her.

Oh hey, she's going to put her pets' health and safety before yours, my guy.

I don't know what will happen when you have kids. Maybe don't find out!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Sanford posted:

One guy glared angrily as we ate a takeaway kebab between us then suddenly shouted “how do you know how much is yours??”
:lmao: The bits that you managed to cram into your mouth are yours, obviously. Whats left is still fair game.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mx. posted:

can't even spell
Lol, why is op even asking this when she was already proven wrong?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mystes posted:

It's also not clear that he made any effort to look into changing the ticket though

why should he? she has the ticket in her name, if she wants to stay longer she can call the airline and change it, at her cost. anything beyond the return trip home as planned is up to her.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:lmao: The bits that you managed to cram into your mouth are yours, obviously. Whats left is still fair game.

It's like that dude never shared apps before or went "Wait, I had three rangoons, how many did you have? OK, that one's yours, then"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Couple just casually eating a burrito from each end like Lady & the Tramp