Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I was not aware that was attributed to The Big Bopper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ChrisBTY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b-by5e4saI

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

he just kind of talk singed

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
He was accidentally inventing hip-hop!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I always think of a line Futurama's Roswell that Ends Well when the Big Bopper comes up. Oh lord. We'll have to endure the awful music of the Big Bopper and then the terrible tragedy of his death.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Is Ritchie Valens a guild member or did they just kind of leave him out?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TK-42-1 posted:

Is Ritchie Valens a guild member or did they just kind of leave him out?

They just ignored him as far as I can tell. He's not in any flashbacks or anything. My guess is Phantomah killed him as a way to induce the others to work with him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ChrisBTY posted:

It was supposed to be called hip bop but they misheard him.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Richie was too good of heart to turn to evil so they... well, they got drunk and kind of slew him.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Ritchie still just died in the plane crash as normal. Shame, he was this close to getting his wings too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Finally listened to the movie's commentaries. Felt very cathartic, especially hearing their attitudes about the current state of the industry and Doc's musings about repressive desublimation within it. Makes me feel much better about the series being able to end when and how it did.

NinjaPaco
May 6, 2003
i have no idea what custom title should be
Quick question, where is the commentary track? Is it only available on the physical blueray? I bought it on Amazon Video and its freaking censored!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

NinjaPaco posted:

Quick question, where is the commentary track? Is it only available on the physical blueray? I bought it on Amazon Video and its freaking censored!

There are three tracks on my itunes digital purchase (none censored). There's the Q&A digital extra with John Hodgman, the Q&A commentary to the movie, and then the straight commentary to the movie.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's Movies Anywhere so buying it one place should net you a digital copy in every storefront. So, as long as you have Amazon linked to Movies Anywhere, you can link it to an Apple ID as well to get the movie there and get the commentary (as well as Vudu, Google, Microsoft, Comcast, DirecTV, and FiOS.)

NinjaPaco
May 6, 2003
i have no idea what custom title should be
Ah gotcha, thank you so much I was going nuts

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
Did we know the bit with Lyndon Bee and Ladyhawke Johnson in the Revenge Society tryouts from Dean’s summer internship was from a movie with Matthew Broderick? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladyhawke_(film)

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Well I sure didn’t know.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Comrade Quack posted:

Did we know the bit with Lyndon Bee and Ladyhawke Johnson in the Revenge Society tryouts from Dean’s summer internship was from a movie with Matthew Broderick? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladyhawke_(film)

It's why it's one of my favorite goddamn stupid one-off bits.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I would consider it a top 3 clever joke on the show for sure. Gunning for #1

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Comrade Quack posted:

I did!

I love how they mash up unrelated things and they align perfectly, like how the Groovy Gang's names AND personalities are based on both Mystery Inc and real people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I did!

I love how they mash up unrelated things and they align perfectly, like how the Groovy Gang's names AND personalities are based on both Mystery Inc and real people.

A shitload of the show's characters and gags are basically that, and it's not an uncommon thing in general, especially in stuff that wants to make pop culture and/or real world references and doesn't want to be lazy about it. Also works really well with a theme, in this case 'Mystery Inc but they're all based on famous maniacs'. It's also extra amusing given that a throwaway comment suggests Scooby-Doo and pals also exist in-setting as real people, and that the show Mystery Inc involves multiple incarnations of the gang with various gimmicks also existing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Another case where the joke is funny all by itself but goes to another level if you get the reference. Where Family Guy would just say "Her name is ladybird and she's both a lady and a bird, just like that 1985 movie Ladyhawk where the lady turns into a hawk and her husband turns into a wolf except this guy turns into a bee because his middle initial is B."

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

and never the two shall meet, except during an eclipse!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I didn't know and I love learning it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I thought they were a play on LBJ (Lyndon B.) and his wife, Ladybird Johnson. I didn't know about that movie, either.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They are a play on them too

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

For sure, although they didn't make Mr. Bee tall enough.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

When it comes to this show I'm assuming there are so many jokes I'm not getting or catching even though I watched every episode a bunch of times, listened to the commentary a bunch of times, and read the art book. It's just so loving dense, and I love that.

I hate shows that think every viewer needs to get every joke.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

limp_cheese posted:

I hate shows that think every viewer needs to get every joke.

But you do when they only come up with 2 jokes for the episode instead of 2 for every minute.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's sort of my problem with a lot of South Park episodes. They feel like they came up with two jokes, one for the A plot and one for the B plot and they just repeat those jokes, albeit escalating, and then have them intersect for the climax.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I had to look up the please please tell me why ball, but it was still a funny bit.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
St. Cloud's joke is he's just wrong about every little bit of trivia he spouts off about, lovely quiz boy that he is. something you probably would never even notice if you're not a massive nerd into whatever he's talking about. he gets the name of the Duran Duran song wrong and the portentous red ball is hardly even in the video.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i still like listening to MST3Ks at night because there's always some new deep cut that I finally understand because of some deepdive on wikipedia I did for an unrelated reason

i hope some alien goes line by line for venture brothers like they did for mst one day

http://www.annotatedmst.com/episodes/106/Werewolf

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

VB has always been written for a particular age range.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Madurai posted:

VB has always been written for a particular age range.

idk, more written by a particular age range.

One major joy of the show is how many pop culture things (like Ladybird Johnson) that don't click until years after the fact. I didn't realize all the boy adventurers in the basement were from MTV music videos until a decade afterwards, when seeing an Art of Sound video floored me. Or the whole Warhol-laden Legion of Doom.

It's a strength of the show that the creators are writing it with their hearts on their sleeve and putting things they love into, rather than imagining what people love and writing to that. The South Park analogy is apt in that regard.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If y'all haven't seen the relevant Duran Duran video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M0hogZyRyU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah I know for a fact that probably a majority of the references in the show fly right over my head but that's fine I'm not an indie music afficinaido and the show is funny as hell regardless

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Duran Duran was not indie in the least.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah that wasn't in reference to Duran Duran specifically. I only vaguely knew who Depeche Mode were the first time I watched Tag Sale, so let's go with that. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The only thing you need to know is that Depeche Mode is like 100x better than Duran Duran, who are still pretty respectable. Rio is great.