Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Did you know
Luchador has to be sold at the boss. Either that, or there are bosses it won't work on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I mean, it does warn you that no boss blind is active.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Tarezax posted:

I've reset multiple runs because I forgot to put the cards in the proper order for the Death tarot card

Just for the record the game doesn't save this so you can close it and reopen it or just go to the main menu and you'll resume before you used the Death card.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
For some reason I always miss warning messages that Belatro is sending me (this hand won't score in a boss blind, selling now is dumb, etc). I get so focused on picking my cards and slamming play/discard I fail to look at any other part of the screen I guess.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the lag on the switch port gets really loving annoying when you have a massive deck (hehe) because you end up playing 4 cards instead of 5 because button presses don't register. skill issue maybe but i'm blaming the lag

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
So why is it that there's Hack for 2-5, Sixth Sense, 8 Ball, Cloud 9, Hit the Road, Shoot the Moon, Baron and Scholar, but there's no card that buffs a 7? A joker giving sevens free "super-lucky" status when scored (which can stack with actual lucky card) would be my vote.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Heavy_D posted:

So why is it that there's Hack for 2-5, Sixth Sense, 8 Ball, Cloud 9, Hit the Road, Shoot the Moon, Baron and Scholar, but there's no card that buffs a 7? A joker giving sevens free "super-lucky" status when scored (which can stack with actual lucky card) would be my vote.

I've heard that apparently very early in development the Seeing Double joker (which has an unlock requirement of playing a bunch of 7s of Clubs) was specifically triggered by 7s of Clubs instead of any club, and the 7 requirement was dropped in development for being obnoxiously specific.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
1 in 7 chance to give gold equal to 7 x the amount of 7s played.

That's stupid, lemme try again.

Scored 7s have a 1 in 7 chance to give 7 gold.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Oh, hey a legendary Joker, haven't seen one of those in a quite a few runs. Maybe it's even the last legendary Joker I need? Canio on Abandoned deck :v:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tarezax posted:

I've reset multiple runs because I forgot to put the cards in the proper order for the Death tarot card

This happened to me yesterday minus the reset. As soon as I get comfortable, I gently caress it up within like a day

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Heavy_D posted:

Because 7 8 9

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Left into Right
LEFT INTO RIGHT
Left into Right

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
it’s like programming, you’re setting the value of the left variable from the thing on the right

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
before and after :haw:

i had an :aaa: moment when i learned that they don't have to be next to each other.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

before and after :haw:

i had an :aaa: moment when i learned that they don't have to be next to each other.
I always rearrange them next to each other to make sure I don't screw it up

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Whoever said that the opening is poker, the midgame is a deckbuilder, and the endgame is a comp sci problem was on the money

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I beat Jokerless :toot:

I got insanely lucky with an early red seal polychrome gold card 4 of spades which I turned into a lucky card and duplicated pretty early, and that basically carried me the rest of the run.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The frost prime 2 hour 1 run (no resets) tournament run is loving filthy and so much fun to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyngNmxJ-J8

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Finally got a Legendary Joker, Perkeo, and in the final Ante I finally got the Tarot Cards that enhances a card to glass, one at a time.

See that the final boss is the one that forces a selection of one card. I'm like, no prob, I am on a Five of a Kind deck, but hey at least I can change those sixes into glass sixes, one at a time, and even if it's a four of a kind I should be able to squeeze through.

quote:

forces a selection of one card

quote:

one at a time

quote:

forces one card

Anyway I transformed that Ace into glass five times I guess.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 16, 2024

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Was watching the X-Files and

https://i.imgur.com/ubyKr7d.mp4

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I finally got into scientific notation scoring on a pretty wild run. I played Anaglyph with the intent of getting a ton of negative jokers via double tags, and got a Perkeo in like the first shop, and over time managed to get an entire deck full of polychrome steel kings, with Mime to double the steel and Blueprint + Brainstorm + Baron to stack a bajillion 1.5x bonuses off of everything in hand. Unfortunately I never found any red seals and I imagine they would have helped me get up into Ante 17 and beyond, but my best hand was 3.311e19 and by god I’m probably gonna take a little break from this game now that I’ve done that. I ended up with 24 jokers total but ironically not a single one of the negatives ended up being all that important to the strategy.

On a side note I really appreciate how the game can be rewarding both for trying to put together absolutely obscene high scoring runs but also for getting through white knuckle tense runs in high stakes.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm kindof hitting a wall around the 1 to 10-million mark and don't know how to take a deck into the stratosphere.

Here's my most recent, and maybe my most successful run. I'm scoring 10-14M per hand here. I've taken both -Ante cards so small blind is 300M and I'm clearly toast. This is on the pre-patch version so I've diligently fed Vamp to about 15x. Otherwise my deck is more or less stock apart from a couple seals. I'm playing flushes but keep the red cards in case I get owned by a Spade/Club debuff boss.

Do I take Fortune Teller here? What else should I be looking for?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I'm no expert, but as I understand it if you want hands of 100 million+ the only thing that matters is stacking x-mult as many times as possible, and any joker that isn't helping you do that (directly or indirectly, like increasing your hand size if you have a lot of steel cards, or giving you a lot of money to reroll for those x-mult jokers or helpful tarots) is irrelevant.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

tinstaach posted:

I'm no expert, but as I understand it if you want hands of 100 million+ the only thing that matters is stacking x-mult as many times as possible, and any joker that isn't helping you do that (directly or indirectly, like increasing your hand size if you have a lot of steel cards, or giving you a lot of money to reroll for those x-mult jokers or helpful tarots) is irrelevant.

This is entirely correct. x-mult is the only thing that can get you into the big numbers and is definitely the only thing that will get you into scientific notation. You'll need retriggers as well, red seal/hanging chad/mime/etc. You want to keep firing that x-mult over and over and over until things get very silly.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Just to be clear, x-mult refers to the few cards that multiply the right side of the score, right?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yeah, X1.5 Mult, X3 Mult, etc as opposed to +Mult additives.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Afaict past ante 8 it's about cards with steel, red seals, glass, retriggering jokers, these kinds of synergies. Xmult jokers become less important extra late game

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah you can get Constellation, Canio, Campfire or what have you up to x11 and it's not a bad idea to have one of those but generally what you wanna build towards to get the crazy numbers is stuff that'll make your glass or steel trigger over and over. X2 going off six times is more valuable than X10 going off once.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bald Stalin posted:

Afaict past ante 8 it's about cards with steel, red seals, glass, retriggering jokers, these kinds of synergies. Xmult jokers become less important extra late game

Except for Baron, since it's a card trigger.

MJeff posted:

Yeah you can get Constellation, Canio, Campfire or what have you up to x11 and it's not a bad idea to have one of those but generally what you wanna build towards to get the crazy numbers is stuff that'll make your glass or steel trigger over and over. X2 going off six times is more valuable than X10 going off once.

Yeah, having a x10 joker and blueprinting it twice is like... still one ante bump, at best. It's maybe enough to clear ante 12 if your other jokers/deck are hot poo poo bit it won't get further than that without the usual tons of steel triggers.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I considered baron a retriggering joker in my previous post, yeah

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Red Seal is also the white whale to chase in any run you want to be able to go far in, since Tarot/Steel is so much more common. I topped out at like e16 despite having all Steel Kings / Baron / Blueprint / Mime / Brainstorm because I only got a single spectral pack and holding the "spawn a card with a seal" Joker for the first few antes only ever gave me gold seals.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Nikumatic posted:

Red Seal is also the white whale to chase in any run you want to be able to go far in, since Tarot/Steel is so much more common. I topped out at like e16 despite having all Steel Kings / Baron / Blueprint / Mime / Brainstorm because I only got a single spectral pack and holding the "spawn a card with a seal" Joker for the first few antes only ever gave me gold seals.

This is most of the reason I rate DNA so highly. Once you have a red seal steel card you can just keep duplicating it over and over.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

echoing that xmult is key

like this simple setup from a run last night

best hand was 1.3b didn't make it in to :science:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Lol 99 mult red card. I love it.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Dang y'all rock. I'm currently trying to hit the 100M hand unlock, and it's a beast. It seems hard to hit the right mix of requirements: red seal, steel, death, DNA, Baron, mime...I know it's RNG, but even with the Wisdom, execution is lacking.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Thanks all. I think I gotta work on getting that xmult up and transitioning from 'enough to get by' to 'holy crap.' I take it that means vamp is not as great in the long term (especially post-patch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

The important first step is to develop your economy. A decent +mult joker will get you through the first few blinds, while you're there focus on jokers and cards that give you money. If you do it right you'll be able to do 2-3 rerolls on every store to dig for those rare jokers later.

Extra money is the great luck equalizer.