Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

"The character is in many ways the anti-Sonic: dark and edgy, while mirroring the hero’s powers."

I thought Sonic was already the edgy guy?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Nichael posted:

this is me

Peak culture. Shut it all down after this one, we'll never top it

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Nichael posted:

"The character is in many ways the anti-Sonic: dark and edgy, while mirroring the hero’s powers."

I thought Sonic was already the edgy guy?!

Sonic is sarcastic but wholesome

Shadow is earnest but dark

Its a true dichotomy of essence. In this essay I will

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The world's not ready to have their hearts broken by Jason Sudeikis as E-102 Gamma

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

And Tails? Tails gets the cuck chair.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I really want to understand why Sonic is a thing, but every time I try, I feel dizzy.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

For now………………………………………

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nichael posted:

I really want to understand why Sonic is a thing, but every time I try, I feel dizzy.

Just a whole generation who were forced to pretend they were actually glad their parents bought them the wrong console because apart from Sonic it had slightly better versions of licenced Disney games

The poor bastards. They're like the lost boys in hook

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Just a whole generation who were forced to pretend they were actually glad their parents bought them the wrong console because apart from Sonic it had slightly better versions of licenced Disney games

some of us sega kids actually asked for it…

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Nichael posted:

hes a cool hedgehog with an attitude that runs fast.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

hes a cool hedgehog with an attitude that runs fast.

Yes. In the early 90’s this was actually unique concept

Plus there wasn’t all the baggage yet

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

sonatinas posted:

some of us sega kids actually asked for it…

It's not your fault

It's not your fault, sonatinas

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
this is a backdoor pilot for tails gets trolled

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Only a real MELVIN would wanna play MARIO BROTHERS

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Counterpoint:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I would have accepted mutant league

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Yes. In the early 90’s this was actually unique concept

Plus there wasn’t all the baggage yet

Yeah Sonic is definitely one of those things where so many near identical copycats got made so quickly that people who weren’t there when it happened think the actual original that the others were ripping off was “just another” of that big flood of “sarcastic animal platformer mascots”.
Sonic only makes sense when you understand him through the lens of being “Mario for the 90’s.”. In 1990 Mario was basically the mascot of video games, and Sonic was created with scientific precision in Sega’s boardroom to be everything Mario wasn’t, the Anti-Mario. Mario was red so Sonic was blue. Mario was wholesome and respectful to authority so Sonic was sarcastic and told your teachers they were lame. Mario lived in some absurdist magic kingdom so Sonic fought sci-fi robots and wore hip sneakers. He was intentionally designed to target that contrarian switch that boys get in late-elementary/middle-school. It would be stranger if he hadn’t become popular.
Well that and his Genesis games being actually really great helped too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Gunstar Heroes is also a classic.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nichael posted:

okay you know Mickey Mouse? big mascot character, young kids can’t get enough of him, but once they get older into the 10-12 range they stop giving a poo poo about Mickey Mouse. So what you do is you make a Mickey Mouse for those older kids by making him sarcastic and rebellious and have him commit eco-terrorism

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the sega channel ftw

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
sonic is cool and he has attitude

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

sonic is autistic

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

sonic is autistic

he's not but tails is

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

sonic is autistic

he's adhd

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

have u seen a serious adhd kid they just zoom around nonstop like sonic

hell some of them roll around

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Sonic zipping around in his socks because he can't remember where he put his goddamn shoes last night

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
robotnik is YOSPOS

500 bad dogs
Nov 22, 2023

ooh a shiny ring

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1779909756783591649?t=fa0-2uV2Ou0Q9RsAnTH6lw&s=19

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hell yeah thats the rest of my night right here jefe

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

so sonic can run so fast he goes back in time, yet he didnt prevent the holocaust???

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Al! posted:

hell yeah thats the rest of my night right here jefe

it's a show near and dear to me, unbelievable it's been 30 years. still holds up today

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Buck Wildman posted:

it's a show near and dear to me, unbelievable it's been 30 years. still holds up today

good collection of 90s celebs too. todd barry up now

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
soni (see's small ant walk by and follows it out of the thread)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Al! posted:

good collection of 90s celebs too. todd barry up now

one of the best episodes was busta rhymes, who came onto the show so high they had to frame the whole metaplot of the episode around there being a gas leak in the studio

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sonic being wildly ADHD actually would explain a lot in literally every version of the character

Whenever he's allowed to have a personality he's always a hilarious rear end in a top hat to at least some degree

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Al! posted:

so sonic can run so fast he goes back in time, yet he didnt prevent the holocaust???

He gave some notes to a certain painter

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Al! posted:

Oh yeah well why did nobody travel to Mobius and keep Dr. Robotnik from robotizing all of those funny cartoon animals???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sonic is a chud