Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

madmatt112 posted:

This is not me trolling, I’m legitimately earnest in this: am I like the only person here who is of the opinion that Russia are the territorial aggressors & very much in the wrong (and that Ukraine is definitely being illegally attacked and war crimed) and also that Israel is an evil apartheid war criming ethnostate currently doing a genocide??

I’m so confused about the Russia Ukraine thing. What am I missing about them that would make me say “oh, Ukraine has been doing something that actually does justify Russia’s action over the last couple years”?? I feel like I’ve got a huge blind spot here somehow.

anyone that can look at Palestine and have confusion can eat a fist tho obvi

the situation didnt start a couple of years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

madmatt112 posted:

ok hi I’m back like a dumbass but I’m in it now.
I would say that I do concern myself with motivation and not just aggression by itself. What I’m trying to say is that I know I’m missing some huge chunk of recent (ish) history or dynamics between these two countries / peoples because so many of the people whose opinions and reasons I agree with and respect on this here website are opposite of me when it comes to Ukraine. I know well that my Ukraine opinion is shared by far and away the majority of western shitlibs, I’m not so stupid as to think I’m so unique in my ideas.

And so, I’m asking if anyone could help me understand or just gesture vaguely towards some… resource or reading or something. idk. I really am being earnest that I want to know what I’ve missed. I understand that I’m a product of my western media ecosystem and I try hard to find ways out of the gigantic imperial capitalist propaganda machine.

I’m sorry if this is v v much the wrong thread, I brought it up here because I see semi-regular references to/comparisons of Russia/Ukraine itt and because the Ukraine thread seems to be pretty slanted against Russian narratives and toward Western ones - figured my question wouldn’t get much response there besides being called an orc.

The big thing that’s not talked about but very apparent if you look at the GDP of post soviet countries is that with the exception of Russia they were hollowed out by neoliberalism, and Ukraine in particular had the fastest drop in life expectancy in living history as a result. The leadership were western puppets, until the puppet in Russia realized that they still had the leftover weapons, population and material capacity from the USSR to gently caress it let’s be legends and reject the only offer, which was let yourself get hollowed out- Putin unlike the rest of the western puppets in post soviet states is a true believer in Russian nationalism and had the acumen to pull something off, so this is the last gasp. The same hollowing is happening in the west too, it’s just decades instead of years slower because capital can’t just instantly strip out the copper wiring of the imperial core. But the violent spasms of the neocons in the US are driven by the same impulses of trying to do raw imperialism with the big rear end army we have to stave off the hollowing out by capital that has broke free of most mechanisms of national control. Russia just has far less time. It’s just an inevitable product of capitalism and imperial decline.

Lenin is actually to my knowledge the theorist that really distills the gist of it and is still mostly current in his theory on that area but I could be wrong I’m not a huge theory guy.

Also I think it’s cool people should post to figure out what the difference is over a viewpoint and it’s cool that even though this is the politics shitposting forum there’s imo by far the best actual discussion

Butter Activities has issued a correction as of 04:48 on Apr 16, 2024

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

VoicesCanBe posted:

It's this one I assume?

wow pretty soon social darwinism is going to be indistinguishable from fully understanding the core of international politics

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

ded redd posted:

i feel like the ukrainian-palestinian support position would be more tenable if that were reflected by ukrainians themselves

🇺🇦🇵🇸 is the anarchist position, so of course it's incoherent

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The big thing that’s not talked about but very apparent if you look at the GDP of post soviet countries is that with the exception of Russia they were hollowed out by neoliberalism, and Ukraine in particular had the fastest drop in life expectancy in living history as a result. The leadership were western puppets, until the puppet in Russia realized that they still had the leftover weapons, population and material capacity from the USSR to gently caress it let’s be legends and reject the only offer, which was let yourself get hollowed out- Putin unlike the rest of the western puppets in post soviet states is a true believer in Russian nationalism and had the acumen to pull something off, so this is the last gasp. The same hollowing is happening in the west too, it’s just decades instead of years slower because capital can’t just instantly strip out the copper wiring of the imperial core. But the violent spasms of the neocons in the US are driven by the same impulses of trying to do raw imperialism with the big rear end army we have to stave off the hollowing out by capital that has broke free of most mechanisms of national control. Russia just has far less time. It’s just an inevitable product of capitalism and imperial decline.

Lenin is actually to my knowledge the theorist that really distills the gist of it and is still mostly current in his theory on that area but I could be wrong I’m not a huge theory guy.

Also I think it’s cool people should post to figure out what the difference is over a viewpoint and it’s cool that even though this is the politics shitposting forum there’s imo by far the best actual discussion

Is that why the Russians are doing better now before the war? It seems like it is working out for them.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Sancho Banana posted:

Israeli operation names just keep getting more and more creatively bankrupt every year

https://twitter.com/IDF/status/1779916340976910530?t=Gel-64tHTDhrkBee0g7IdQ&s=19

a whole bunch of guys who were in office buildings when it happened are going to get a ribbon or medal aren't they lmao

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

🤔

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I only support Palestine.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

madmatt112 posted:

This is not me trolling, I’m legitimately earnest in this: am I like the only person here who is of the opinion that Russia are the territorial aggressors & very much in the wrong (and that Ukraine is definitely being illegally attacked and war crimed) and also that Israel is an evil apartheid war criming ethnostate currently doing a genocide??

I’m so confused about the Russia Ukraine thing. What am I missing about them that would make me say “oh, Ukraine has been doing something that actually does justify Russia’s action over the last couple years”?? I feel like I’ve got a huge blind spot here somehow.

anyone that can look at Palestine and have confusion can eat a fist tho obvi

Wrong thread

speng31b
May 8, 2010

as many others have posted now it is time to move Ukraine chat to the Ukraine thread unless it is directly relevant to the situation with Palestine

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

madmatt112 posted:

ok hi I’m back like a dumbass but I’m in it now.
I would say that I do concern myself with motivation and not just aggression by itself. What I’m trying to say is that I know I’m missing some huge chunk of recent (ish) history or dynamics between these two countries / peoples because so many of the people whose opinions and reasons I agree with and respect on this here website are opposite of me when it comes to Ukraine. I know well that my Ukraine opinion is shared by far and away the majority of western shitlibs, I’m not so stupid as to think I’m so unique in my ideas.

And so, I’m asking if anyone could help me understand or just gesture vaguely towards some… resource or reading or something. idk. I really am being earnest that I want to know what I’ve missed. I understand that I’m a product of my western media ecosystem and I try hard to find ways out of the gigantic imperial capitalist propaganda machine.

I’m sorry if this is v v much the wrong thread, I brought it up here because I see semi-regular references to/comparisons of Russia/Ukraine itt and because the Ukraine thread seems to be pretty slanted against Russian narratives and toward Western ones - figured my question wouldn’t get much response there besides being called an orc.

The short of it is that NATO / The West wanted to expand its sphere of influence into Ukraine, in order to further strangulate Russia. When it looked as though their government would push back against being drawn into the Western orbit, that government was overthrown by a Western-backed coup. When the eastern parts of the country refused to go along with the new government, they were declared separatist rebels and were bombed and shelled for the next eight years since 2014.

The new Ukrainian government and its erstwhile Western allies refused to cooperate with attempts to resolve the disputes in a peaceful manner, and we know with hindsight that whatever accords they did sign was only intended to buy them time for Ukraine to arm and build its armies against a confrontation against Russia.

Given the untenable relationship, Putin decided to resolve the issue through force of arms.

That's not a flat-out endorsement that Putin absolutely should have used a military invasion in order to stop the process of Ukraine becoming fully integrated into NATO (at the expense of its eastern, Russian-speaking peoples), but the West does bear some responsibility for letting things get as bad as it did.

As of 2024, the position is very much that both sides should come to a negotiated settlement, even if it means Ukraine has to give up some of its pre-war territory, because any further prolonging of the conflict will simply consume more Ukrainian lives for nothing in return. The pro-Western view would counter this by claiming that Putin seeks to kill every single Ukrainian he can get his hands on, and so it would be worth it to fight Russia even at the cost of every single Ukrainian, because the alternative is that they're all dead anyway, but that is not true.

EDIT: ah gently caress please don't nuke me I posted this right before the moratorium one post above. I'll stop here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Ardennes posted:

Is that why the Russians are doing better now before the war? It seems like it is working out for them.

Yeah being cut off from western financial infrastructure turned out to be a full on net positive lol

They got kicked out of the neoliberal suicide pact

Ed: same, sorry about that

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

fun detail: weirdos like the victims of communism losers calculate "holomodor" "deaths" in large part by taking pre famine birth rates and post famine population and just counting the negative delta as "deaths". if you do this with the collapse of the soviet union and the current population of the constituent states, you'll get over 100 million "lives lost" thanks to the tender ministrations of capital

also putin was perfectly happy to do a neoliberalism to Russia the freaks here in the US and UK just refused to let him and cornered him into having to save his country lol

edit lol ukraine war posters too enthusiastic for their own good, forgive me pls

DeimosRising has issued a correction as of 05:16 on Apr 16, 2024

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

gbs for the win

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

post hole digger posted:

not laughing at this because im mature.

none of us laugh at it because we're mature. we launch because it's funny

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
https://x.com/jodi7768/status/1780005884841582650?s=46

Do you now, or have you ever, refused to condemn Hamas?

From Los Angeles: https://x.com/btnewsroom/status/1779998139409166600?s=46

Pomeroy has issued a correction as of 05:23 on Apr 16, 2024

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Spergin Morlock posted:

none of us laugh at it because we're mature. we launch because it's funny

this is up there with the what are you gonna do, stab me? Images

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Weka posted:

I understand they are servicing the F-16s again, but if they do stop long term there is no reason beyond racism to think Iraq cannot service their own planes. One only has to look at Iran's F-14s.

The F-14 sale came with maintenance facilities, didn't it?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Unironically if anyone actually “supports” Russia besides that permabanned “FLATTEN” guy I haven’t seen them,

I know some people that support them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw8B0xjeq70

Putin's Russia has been support the Axis of Resistance for a long time. Without them Syria would probably have fallen to zionist terrorists. Before Iran really got their missile program going as strongly as currently, it was Russian ATGMs that Hezbollah used to defeat Israel's invasion in 2006.

Also this banger from Palestinian wedding singer Mohammed al-Arani, sorry I couldn't find a version with lyrics and video, which shows a big wedding party all happily dancing away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXMjtVnLD4o

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

lol

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

BrotherJayne posted:

The F-14 sale came with maintenance facilities, didn't it?

Not sure, but it's been 40 years since they could buy a part, so they have presumably been making their own. Like what even is a maintenance facility in this context? Some computers to plug into the onboard computers? Special tools? Nothing beyond the capabilities of the Iranian brain bros and consequently, their allies.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It's been what, nearly 4 years since the UN embargo on the country w/r/t poo poo like weaponry ended, right? But I don't believe they've done anything like approach China or Russia for new planes. Maybe they're cooking up their own homegrown stuff like a lot of other previously beholden nations were and just not trumpeting it everywhere? :iiam:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Nonsense posted:

Operation Irony Shield

:nice:

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Al! posted:

still lol that the average depiction of the idealized isreali is just an aryan superman/superwoman with different ethnocentric garb

yes and the idealized description of the subcontinental woman is basically someone from the middle east lmao.

Thats a given. There's a lot of indians so we tend to pop up everywhere.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/abierkhatib/status/1780059230965207402?s=46

eyyyyyyy

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Weka posted:

I know some people that support them.

code:
[video type="youtube"]mw8B0xjeq70[/video]
Putin's Russia has been support the Axis of Resistance for a long time. Without them Syria would probably have fallen to zionist terrorists. Before Iran really got their missile program going as strongly as currently, it was Russian ATGMs that Hezbollah used to defeat Israel's invasion in 2006.

Also this banger from Palestinian wedding singer Mohammed al-Arani, sorry I couldn't find a version with lyrics and video, which shows a big wedding party all happily dancing away.

code:
[video type="youtube"]oXMjtVnLD4o[/video]

this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgdxKgxJyuw

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
so, I was wondering if anybody here has any clearer info on this whole binyamin achimair business? basically, the really insane pogroms the settlers were doing were ostensibly because this teenage settler went missing while tending his sheep and then was found dead, but it all feels very william of norwich to me and I'm confused on the timeline. does anybody know anything more concrete?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I'm glad he grew a spine and found some standards

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/Julio_Rosas11/status/1779865518662434944

:sickos:

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

DeimosRising posted:

no one's going to yell at you really. we answer this question in that thread one or twice a month. there is a very complicated history behind the existence of the post soviet Ukrainian state, the ethnic cleansing of Russians in that state's borders, NATO expansion, the collapse and rebuilding of Russian society in the 90s and 2000s, etc etc that just doesn't belong here. no one really "supports" Russia apart from thinking Vlad has very kissable lips but they're the least bad actors in a farce of a war (and we all quietly harbor fantasies that isolation from the west, war economics, and cozying up to China will bring about Communism with Russian Characteristics even if we know it won't)

tbf I also harbor fantasies that this links up with the palestinian liberation movement to defeat empire once and for all and impose socialism on america

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Okay why are there Jewish guys named vile shalom.

What the gently caress is the trope of naming your kid phrases that are idk, slightly anti semitic? For lack of a better designation

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
antisemetic phrases come from semetic languages through mockery, it's not super surprising to me that jewish names sound like jewish words

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

That's not the surprising part. It's more that I've seen like three or four guys posted in this thread that have names derived from slurrs it seems. It's just an odd naming convention unless I'm missing something

I mean Joseph Hitler not withstanding.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Okay why are there Jewish guys named vile shalom.

What the gently caress is the trope of naming your kid phrases that are idk, slightly anti semitic? For lack of a better designation

iirc his actual name is Shlomo Vile so they didn’t have much choice on the Vile part

knowing this does not stop me from remembering Vile Shlomo and laughing at least a few times a week

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If you make aliyah to Israel I guess you're expected to take on the worst name that immediately comes to mind

I'm interested in if there's any serious cultural/historical origin behind the goofier chosen names or if its as simple as an American who owns 3 houses in Kansas choosing the name Swanson Fergalicious

E:

Good Citizen posted:

iirc his actual name is Shlomo Vile so they didn’t have much choice on the Vile part

Believing in nominative determinism but only in the case that naming your jewish son Gogo Slomo makes them 100% more likely to immigrate to Israel

Neurolimal has issued a correction as of 06:48 on Apr 16, 2024

Weka
May 5, 2019

sundaymorning posted:

https://commons.com.ua/en/ukrayinskij-list-solidarnosti/

I have no illusions that the letter above represents some great mass within Ukrainian society, but as usual it is a more nuanced situation than the position of the Ukrainian government would have you believe. I suppose if you want to situate yourself as being an important ally of US empire it isn't exactly prudent to align yourself with a people that the US and its allies have largely determined is utterly beyond the pale to have sympathy for.

quote:

we firmly condemn attacks on civilian populations – be they Israelis attacked by Hamas or Palestinians attacked by the Israeli occupation forces and armed settler gangs. Deliberate targeting of civilians is a war crime. Yet this is no justification for the collective punishment of Palestinian people, identifying all residents of Gaza with Hamas and the indiscriminate use of the term “terrorism” applied to the whole Palestinian resistance.
On October 7 we witnessed Hamas’ violence against the civilians in Israel, an event that is now singled out by many to demonize and dehumanize Palestinian resistance altogether. Hamas, a reactionary islamist organization, 
we condemn anti-Semitic violence, such as the mob attack on the airplane in Daghestan, Russia.

Is this supposed to endear anyone to those wankers? It spends as much time talking about Ukraine as it does Palestine, it condemns Hamas and leaves out that the mob attack referenced was a Ukrainian FSB operation. It is typical liberal pablum that would have the Palestinians die nobly resisting and accepts whole cloth western narratives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Good Citizen posted:

knowing this does not stop me from remembering Vile Shlomo and laughing at least a few times a week

My god you're telling me I misremembered his name as Vile Shlomo? I thought he first name was Vile.

gently caress