Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Oh so this was the game where the devs refused to put in anyone besides white men because "MUH HISTORICAL ACCURACY" and shouted down anyone who tried to prove them wrong as being part of the "woke liberal agenda"? :lol: :laffo:
the devs didnt really do that. their statement was stupid but i cant find anything of them yelling about the woke liberal agenda. all they said was,

quote:

We left ethnicities just because there were none in Bohemia those times. That’s all. Or better: they were a (sic) very very rare. Game will take place in 9 square kilometers so there’s no real chance you can meet some of them there.

which is a dumb statement but in medieval bohemia in an extremely small part of it its not unreasonable to not really run into black people that much. there is one random bit of npc dialog that discusses foreigners with dark skin, i think turning that into a rando black dude npc you can talk to for a few dialogue trees would largely solve the problem.

like i said the dev just seems Eastern European as gently caress, hes stupid but i think trying to turn him into the bad guy in an american politics sense is self-defeating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Though I'd play a turn-based RPG too.

If you made it with art that looks like the OG comic it would sort of have the same vibe as Darkest Dungeon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheMightyBoops posted:

If you made it with art that looks like the OG comic it would sort of have the same vibe as Darkest Dungeon.

I am now picturing it being narrated by Michelangelo at his most 90s surfer dude.

"You WRECKED that guy! Totally tubular, dude!"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Though I'd play a turn-based RPG too.

The perfect genre some would say

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
yunno i had an idea of the turtles in a Valkyrie Profile styled system

Even had a brief outline of a plot with three different stories, one with the four turtles doing the main fighting, one with April and Casey trying to locate a missing Splinter and rescue him, and then a third one where Karai, Bebop and Rocksteady are trying to figure out why their boss has kicked them to the curb

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Endorph posted:

like i said the dev just seems Eastern European as gently caress, hes stupid but i think trying to turn him into the bad guy in an american politics sense is self-defeating

That's more or less the point I was trying to make earlier. He's got lovely views but isn't trying to make Galt's Gulch in Bohemia. Or more like you can just ignore the dev and play the game without worrying about it too much.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

the devs didnt really do that. their statement was stupid but i cant find anything of them yelling about the woke liberal agenda. all they said was,

which is a dumb statement but in medieval bohemia in an extremely small part of it its not unreasonable to not really run into black people that much. there is one random bit of npc dialog that discusses foreigners with dark skin, i think turning that into a rando black dude npc you can talk to for a few dialogue trees would largely solve the problem.

The dev did go pretty insane but it was kind of nuts watching people just put words in his mouth or harass him all before that happened. It was a small wonder he fell into the insane gamergate crowd tbh lol.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Kingdom DUmb.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The dev did go pretty insane but it was kind of nuts watching people just put words in his mouth or harass him all before that happened. It was a small wonder he fell into the insane gamergate crowd tbh lol.

yea lol. like there's 'oh you got mad at me so now i have to be rightwing' and then there's him posting a joke screenshot of the martin lawrence movie BLACK knight and people calling it a 'horrifically stereotyped photoshop.' bro thats a real movie! thats what martin lawrence looks like!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Colonel posted:

Kingdom DUmb.

"but i's... i's just a serf milord!!"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

yea lol. like there's 'oh you got mad at me so now i have to be rightwing' and then there's him posting a joke screenshot of the martin lawrence movie BLACK knight and people calling it a 'horrifically stereotyped photoshop.' bro thats a real movie! thats what martin lawrence looks like!

lmao

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Runa posted:

I mean miles' dad is a cop and his mom's a nurse so yeah, they would definitely be doing alright for themselves. Before he transferred over he did attend a public school, too.

I dunno about cops, but I'm an RN and even working in the hospital (I left and work for the Department of Health) doesn't pay as well relative to cost of living as it did pre-covid.

I mean you can generally get as much overtime as you want, but you're not making that much above normal middle class unless you're working 60-70 hours per week, or are a travel nurse.

Just my $0.02.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Because it is a lagging indicator of social conditions, we can grant some leeway when pop culture pretends that middle-class jobs still exist.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's a week away from being made captain. He's doing good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Miles Prower.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

This person gets it.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

miles 'tails' morales

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Endorph posted:

OK, I appreciate the context, I just heard about this like second or third-hand so there might have been some internet telephone game going on here. Or I might be thinking about some other game. Or both! Not 100% sure.

Gaius Marius posted:

He's a week away from being made captain. He's doing good
Uh-oh... :ohdear:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endorph posted:

spiderman's wife should not quit her job to do a mindfulness podcast. she should work at costco for minimum wage while doing a podcast on the side. why is every modern spiderman thing obsessed with making him an upper-middle class techbro instead of a broke normal guy. i like into the spiderverse but miles's school looks like its for raytheon employees.

People do put the Raimi films on a pedestal but every so often I think of how well done the set design in this scene was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8SNIlWMSZ0

just communicates 100% "working class schlub from Queens", I love it

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My current activity in KCD is getting shithoused while trying to convince a few peasants that cleaning out latrines is at least A Job and better than begging on the streets.

Also, I may have punched a guard. Yes. I punched a guard.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
they deserve to be on the pedestal!!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

spiderman's wife should not quit her job to do a mindfulness podcast. she should work at costco for minimum wage while doing a podcast on the side. why is every modern spiderman thing obsessed with making him an upper-middle class techbro instead of a broke normal guy. i like into the spiderverse but miles's school looks like its for raytheon employees.

While I don't think it makes Spiderman 2's writing good I do kinda of get where they're coming from given the comics seems to pull an infinite loop of giving Peter a good life only to pull it away and seem hell bent on keeping him and Mary Jane separate despite a decent amount of readers wanting them back together. So I can easily why they'd look at the type of story and think it's good and hey it probably could be if done well (it doesn't sound like it was done well)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

I remember Black Knight because people got it mixed up with Dark Knight.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I remembered reading this really interesting piece on how Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane have basically swapped roles at this point

Back in the day in the comics, Gwen didn't really have a personality outside of 'is Peter Parker's girlfriend', which really limited her ability to do much. MJ, at least early on, had more going on, between her flirtiness, her connection to Harry, etc, which made her more interesting. The Night Gwen Stacy Died was big because it was a monumental shake-up, certainly, and it had ongoing repercussions, but the reason why it was Gwen was that she was seen as uninteresting.

Cut to... now, roughly, and now MJ's kinda stuck in the 'uninteresting love interest role' while Gwen's gotten more interesting thanks to her Spiderverse incarnation and stuff pulling from it, (and the stuff it pulled from, the Ghost Spider stuff).

I'm probably skimming over a lot of details, I'm going off of memory, but it was well put together and sourced.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Annath posted:

I dunno about cops, but I'm an RN and even working in the hospital (I left and work for the Department of Health) doesn't pay as well relative to cost of living as it did pre-covid.

I mean you can generally get as much overtime as you want, but you're not making that much above normal middle class unless you're working 60-70 hours per week, or are a travel nurse.

Just my $0.02.

drat, you can't be making much if you can only offer two cents.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Junpei posted:

I'm probably skimming over a lot of details, I'm going off of memory, but it was well put together and sourced.

uh huh

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you know it is a pretty baller death scene to kill a character off with a whiplash neck snap, drat marvel used to be cool, that is like some tomino giant gundam bullet hitting your head poo poo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

you know it is a pretty baller death scene to kill a character off with a whiplash neck snap, drat marvel used to be cool, that is like some tomino giant gundam bullet hitting your head poo poo

it's also funny because it's like

oh now physics matter?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
worst thing about ultimate spider-man is them writing gwen as a character up until they introduced carnage and just kind of resolved everything around her with "and then carnage (who is a bio experiment goop monster that dissolves people and not a serial killer named Cletus) ate her and spider-man got sad. also carnage showed him his dad's face while some cops talked about donuts in the background"

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Annath posted:

Just my $0.02.

I think Miles got into the private school on a scholarship as well.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Phantasium posted:

drat, you can't be making much if you can only offer two cents.

Working for the government has a lot of perks, the biggest of which is paid public holidays and not being peer pressured/threatened with bad evals for actually using leave.

However, pay is definitely not one of the selling points.

Anyway, I'm sitting in my hotel room on a work trip, staring at my Steam Deck trying to decide what to play.

Has anyone played Chrono Ark on the Deck? ProtonDB says it runs fine but is intended for a mouse and keyboard. Curious how it fares with a controller.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Clarste posted:

Semi-related, but Arknights recently had a controversy where in a recent CN event, the gender-ambiguous self-insert protagonist was referred to with a masculine honorific in Chinese. Which led to a whole big "aha, I knew he was supposed to be male all along, it was those woke EN localizers forcing their anti-gender agenda on us!" Until like 24 hours later when CN did an emergency hotfix to once again remove gender from the game.

I just think that's funny.

The really funny part is that the emergency patch notes came out at like 3:00 AM China time and patch maintenance itself was at 5:00 AM. It was that important.

I need to get my rear end on Codename Bakery, I was saving it for after I finished Unicorn Overlord but I got swamped with work and I'm still in dragon land in UO.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 16, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The Colonel posted:

worst thing about ultimate spider-man is them writing gwen as a character up until they introduced carnage and just kind of resolved everything around her with "and then carnage (who is a bio experiment goop monster that dissolves people and not a serial killer named Cletus) ate her and spider-man got sad. also carnage showed him his dad's face while some cops talked about donuts in the background"

Spiderman comics sure does some arcs/runs that's just the worst writing. Like more than any other major character

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I keep reading UO as Ultima Online

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Endorph posted:

this is extremely stupid and you should be embarrassed to have posted it, op. you have literally posted the two sides of the extreme most likely to have a female author or fanbase and labelled them the most misogynistic. obviously that doesnt make something immune to misogyny but its obviously ridiculous as an assumption. please never pretend to understand anything related to sexism ever again.

the right side of the graph is at the bottom of the scale btw

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zokari posted:

It take you 8 hours to figure that out?

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It take you 8 hours to figure that out?

some of us have jobs

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zokari posted:

some of us have jobs

So it did? Hope it didn't slow down productivity for you too much.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zokari posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I guess this is an okay place to ask since it’s about a JRPG: does anyone remember if there’s any side quest cutoffs in Xenoblade besides The Big One in the lategame? I beat it when it first released in the states so I’m not worried about spoilers, I just can’t remember if the whole Colony 6 reconstruction ruins the side quests on Bionis’ Leg with the refugees.