Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Desert Bus posted:

I have never tried this brand of booze, but their 50ml shooters are in these cute little mason jars. I don't know what I would do with cute little mason jars but I kind of want some.

I have my weed in a small glass jar right now and I also use them sometimes for hot sauce or salad dressing in my packed lunches. Tiny glass jars own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Let's just hope that Emmy never acquires a taste for the most forbidden meat: man.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Whooping Crabs posted:

Let's just hope that Emmy never acquires a taste for the most forbidden meat: man.

She has a couple kids, so she's at least sampled the man meat a few times.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Hello, my lovelies... :chef: :unsmigghh:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

So I'm not like, an insane person I guess, but is that safe at all?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RuBisCO posted:

So I'm not like, an insane person I guess, but is that safe at all?

I've eaten roadkill deer before, that's not uncommon when folks can verify that it was a fresh kill and the body wasn't too mangled in the accident to make it inedible. But opussums? Who knows when that one was hit, and I'd be leery of them anyway because they often have a garbage diet. Maybe they're fine if they live out in the woods. In summary, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
I once worked in an office where all my coworkers claimed to eat roadkill (if it was "fresh" enough) and called me a yuppie for never having tried it so I assume it doesn't kill you instantly at least.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I've eaten roadkill just once, when I was a kid. It was a pheasant that had been hit by a car, when we found it, it was still warm and had clearly died of a broken neck but was otherwise undamaged.
Was just like any other pheasant :shrug:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

We had a couple of roadkill deer when I was younger, it's good, but it gave me a taste for venison which is expensive.

My dad stopped picking them up after hearing about someone who apparently found one that looked like roadkill but turned out to have been poisoned, and killed a pet when he fed it scraps during butchering, luckily before they fed it to the kids.

Tasty though, free venison is the best kind and it was entertaining to tell everyone at school what was in my sandwiches.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Deformed Church posted:

We had a couple of roadkill deer when I was younger, it's good, but it gave me a taste for venison which is expensive.

My dad stopped picking them up after hearing about someone who apparently found one that looked like roadkill but turned out to have been poisoned, and killed a pet when he fed it scraps during butchering, luckily before they fed it to the kids.

Tasty though, free venison is the best kind and it was entertaining to tell everyone at school what was in my sandwiches.

My dad had a friend who hunted a bit, so he was always giving us free venison - all kinds of cuts, including ones tender enough for roasting. Unfortunately friend turned out to be a pathological liar and all-round weirdo, so no more venison :(

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pookah posted:

My dad had a friend who hunted a bit, so he was always giving us free "venison" - all kinds of cuts, including ones tender enough for roasting. Unfortunately friend turned out to be a pathological liar and all-round weirdo, so no more "venison" :(

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

oh noooo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Desert Bus posted:

I don't know what I would do with cute little mason jars but I kind of want some.

--every young mom on Instagram in the late 2010s

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
put spices in 'em, put jelly beans in 'em, put marbles in 'em, put piss in 'em.

very versatile.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
cum jars as far as the eye can see

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
a man has fallen into the cum jar in lego city!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I used them to make jalapeno honey.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'd be leery of them anyway because they often have a garbage diet.

So do I, so I don't see how that's a negative.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

This image tastes like my childhood.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

This image tastes like my childhood.

Uhhhh....

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
How much did all the therapy cost/costing you?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I ordered a drink in a dream last night, but I woke up as it was handed to me.

Rum & Coke & Cranberry (with a lime)

So I went out and got one. It was aggressively inoffensive for a drink with all that sugar in it. Decent enough with the lime juice brightening it up, too, but that spark of inquiry has been extinguished for now.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:woop: It's loaf time, baybee :woop:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

We joke about the horrible jellied years. But consider how much less obesity there was back then. Nobody was getting fat eating jellied salmon loaf. Makes you think.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Facebook Aunt posted:

We joke about the horrible jellied years. But consider how much less obesity there was back then. Nobody was getting fat eating jellied salmon loaf. Makes you think.

In bringing it back I say 'you first'.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

People were thinner when food was unappetizing, yes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also everyone smoked and thus barely had an appetite.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Also curious what that item is lurking behind the horror loaf.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A tub of cottage cheese?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just looked up the recipe for that jellied salmon, because I was thinking that if there wasn't too much gelatin, and it was flavoured well, it might be quite nice, but I discovered that it requires 2 whole cups of gelatin in water, with just lemon juice and vinegar, plus the salmon is fecking canned.
I presumed poached+fresh, which could be very nice.

^^ it's a sauce made from sour cream plus herbs etc ^^

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zero_Grade posted:

Also curious what that item is lurking behind the horror loaf.

I didn't think to mention that, it's the sauce. Sour cream plus some green pepper, chives, and parsley. Gotta have something to spice it up besides cucumber!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pookah posted:

I just looked up the recipe for that jellied salmon, because I was thinking that if there wasn't too much gelatin, and it was flavoured well, it might be quite nice, but I discovered that it requires 2 whole cups of gelatin in water, with just lemon juice and vinegar, plus the salmon is fecking canned.
I presumed poached+fresh, which could be very nice.

^^ it's a sauce made from sour cream plus herbs etc ^^

Yeah the idea of a light cold lunch isn't inherently bad. And you can use a nice mold and get something pretty that glistens. You can see why people kept trying to make that work. For decades.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I dunno, I guess I can't say for sure since I haven't had aspic, but savory gelatin never sounds attractive. All I can think is "or, I could just throw the salmon on the grill and know I'm getting something good :shrug:"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If ya can't get fresh salmon.þ at least get smoked or cured salmon.

Canned is just barbaric.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Captain Hygiene posted:

I dunno, I guess I can't say for sure since I haven't had aspic, but savory gelatin never sounds attractive. All I can think is "or, I could just throw the salmon on the grill and know I'm getting something good :shrug:"

These recipes mostly used canned or frozen food. People wren't grinding up steaks.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Captain Hygiene posted:

Texturally, pate is the closest thing I can think of. Which is great stuff, coincidentally.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Might be an acquired taste. The novelty of the visual aesthetic of being formed into weird shapes and having stuff suspended in it is supposed to be doing a lot of the heavy lifting to make you acquire the taste.

Maybe if some fad nutritionist gets into aspic it could have a resurgence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

These recipes mostly used canned or frozen food. People wren't grinding up steaks.

Oh for sure, that part was based on the idea mentioned of having fresh salmon on hand.