Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

The excellently titled Horror on the Orient Express from Chaosium is rocketing along. Props to them for literally only having one tier, even if it is very expensive.

this looks pretty cool. kinda wish it was semi coop though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Buck Wildman posted:

I can't kill that vampire look how much fun he's having
It's like someone asked the artist to make an evil version of Taika Waititi in What we do in the Shadows.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 3, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

That Italian Guy posted:

It's like someone asked the artist to make an evil version of Taika Waititi in What we do in the Shadows.

I'm pretty sure it's just Doug Jones

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
the greatest sin horror on the orient express commits is that the suspects look a lot more fun and interesting than the playable characters

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Leraika posted:

the greatest sin horror on the orient express commits is that the suspects look a lot more fun and interesting than the playable characters

If you back the KS you get a free expansion that makes the suspects playable.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
gently caress

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
One Stop Co-Op Shop did an hour long partial playthrough of the game. It looks good as a crisis management/deductive game.

https://youtu.be/rDhVnqdVwyQ?si=xFG_DbnKTSyI9YrB

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HidaO-Win posted:

One Stop Co-Op Shop did an hour long partial playthrough of the game. It looks good as a crisis management/deductive game.

https://youtu.be/rDhVnqdVwyQ?si=xFG_DbnKTSyI9YrB

Yeah, that's what sold me on putting down a pledge. Looks pretty cool.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, that's what sold me on putting down a pledge. Looks pretty cool.

Yeah, I've got a pretty full shelf from way too many crowdfunded projects but this still fills a bit of a hole -- fun components, good co-op crisis management, silly Lovecraft mythos theme... I'm sold.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

The excellently titled Horror on the Orient Express from Chaosium is rocketing along. Props to them for literally only having one tier, even if it is very expensive.

So Vagrantsong, but more convoluted.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
It looks pretty convoluted and so many choices and actions to keep track of... but goddamn am I a sucker for flimsy cardboard scenery you have to put together.

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Oh my God Six: Siege actually pulled through, delivered and is in my hands. I think Mythic's days are still numbered though

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Tempted to spin through the Darkest Dungeon and Monsterpocalypse comments and see how livid those backers are.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Experiencing a strange phenomenon with Horror on the Orient Express where I was initially pretty excited about the project - a little overpriced at $98 but overall all the elements of the KS appealed to me - but where that excitement has been worn down by the addition of multiple add-ons over the course of the campaign (a new campaign mode! more monsters!) which have overall nearly doubled the price for an all-in, with today's announcement also promising more yet to come.

Yes, I could just keep my pledge at its original level since most of the new content doesn't appeal to me, but I feel like this is one of the first times appealing to the completionist in me has backfired for a KS. The taste in my mouth after reading today's announcement was such that I'm more inclined to cancel my pledge than to either sit on my original pledge or add the new content.

Anyone have this happen to them before? It's novel, and perhaps coinciding with feeling like I already have too many games and thus am getting a bit pickier about what I back. But it's strange all the same.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Memnaelar posted:

Anyone have this happen to them before? It's novel, and perhaps coinciding with feeling like I already have too many games and thus am getting a bit pickier about what I back. But it's strange all the same.

It has and for similar reasons.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Isn't it the general route of these maximalist type of KSes (see also most CMON projects). They get you in on a decent price, but to get everything is like quadruple the cost of what it was originally priced at. So now instead of a $100 luxury good it's suddenly a $400 luxury good that you either get now or never because of KS exclusives?

It's directly meant to trigger a FOMO response and that's poo poo.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

GrandpaPants posted:

Isn't it the general route of these maximalist type of KSes (see also most CMON projects). They get you in on a decent price, but to get everything is like quadruple the cost of what it was originally priced at. So now instead of a $100 luxury good it's suddenly a $400 luxury good that you either get now or never because of KS exclusives?

It's directly meant to trigger a FOMO response and that's poo poo.

I feel like the technique has been refined a bit in recent years in order to prevent reactions like mine.

Many times recently, when a KS is going to have a huge amount of add-ons and a potential gameplay/cosmetic all-in set of options, they either start out that way or telegraph it a bit by having a paid add-on or two and hints at more to come in their initial set-up. That at least lets you know what ride you're getting on.

Other projects have just a single box and trumpet that THAT'S IT -- you're not going to get a whole lot of SG add-ons that balloon your investment and pick on your FOMO.

This is one of the few in recent memory where it started off as a reasonable package (already at a high price) for a single complete game (with its one expansion tucked into that price and really less an expansion and more something carved out from the main game, if we're being honest) and then ballooned from there. The fact that we won't see the full all-in price until the last week of backing really sours me on this one. I think enough to cancel.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Memnaelar posted:

Experiencing a strange phenomenon with Horror on the Orient Express where I was initially pretty excited about the project - a little overpriced at $98 but overall all the elements of the KS appealed to me - but where that excitement has been worn down by the addition of multiple add-ons over the course of the campaign (a new campaign mode! more monsters!) which have overall nearly doubled the price for an all-in, with today's announcement also promising more yet to come.

Yes, I could just keep my pledge at its original level since most of the new content doesn't appeal to me, but I feel like this is one of the first times appealing to the completionist in me has backfired for a KS. The taste in my mouth after reading today's announcement was such that I'm more inclined to cancel my pledge than to either sit on my original pledge or add the new content.

Yup, absolutely same. It bugs me enough when a game is like "here's the base game plus these other three expansions as addons" but doing it as stretch goals especially rubs me the wrong way. Stretch goals to me should be like "we got extra funding above and beyond what we expected, so we're throwing in some new stuff with that extra money" and not "we got extra funding so now we can afford to make more stuff that we want you to pay for."

Obviously that is an oversimplification, but still, I dropped my pledge down to $1 and I'll figure out what I want to do with it when the pledge manager comes around.

(edit) was typing this before your most recent comment came up, but you're saying basically the same thing

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I like how Free League does it. They have a lot of stretch goals, but it's all going in stuff you're already getting, like the campaign box or the book.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Kickstarters for a new game that is launching with expansions seems like a Day 1 DLC sort of thing for me. I think part of the appeal for an expansion is that it comes after the original game and can help tweak or modify any weaknesses that were discovered during the wide release, the stuff you might not find in a general playtest. It is a good way to combat a dominant meta that renders other playstyles useless, allowing the base game to shine as well as the expansion content. A game that comes with 3 expansions on release doesn't seem like it has had time to reflect upon the reception of the base game.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The slow addition of extras in the bloodborne board game turned me off of the campaign and most KS these days. FOMO has limits lol

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
I absolutely hate all the campaigns with multiple mini-expansions (or just multiple expansion at all). They just make me question whether the basic version is at all a complete game as is.

Like, are they essential to the game since they are done at the same time as the base game, or are they poorly thought out extras? What if expansion #3 & #7 are just what the games balance needs, nevermind that the other ones are garbage.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Just like Day One DLC, I REALLY dislike paid expansions that are clearly ripped out of the base game with the intent of upselling you on something that is there -- and should have been -- from the very beginning. I was a fan of Horror because that expansion was free. I didn't anticipate that there'd be additional paid expansions (albeit ones where the extra expense is warranted) down the line.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
I cancelled my pledge today on it for that reason. It started off as basically "buy the base game at KS and get an expansion free!" which is pretty decent. Then every few days adding in a new pledge level. So you're "oh it's only £30 more" several times until you are at double the original pledge. In comments on the updates page they said there's a further pledge level to come next week. Pretty dissapointing. If they announced at start you could decide instead of constantly falling for like an ebay bidding mentality so you don't lose out. They could have also then had videos made demoing the full game with all those expansions they had already planned out.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
A couple points:
Yes I have absolutely been priced out of backing a game at all due to my completionist tendencies and addons just piling up.

Horror is done adding gameplay addons, the things they've said are coming next week are going to be cosmetic, I'd guess probably some fancier versions of the tokens and such. Also, these addons are not Kickstarter exclusive, although they are supposedly discounted (I think odds are that if you can get them at an actual retailer the price will be similar to the KS price if not better). Not that they're not doing KS exclusivity bullshit, but it's for stuff that's included at the base pledge and they said they'll have the gameplay from that in a future expansion. The addons also aren't stretch goals, they're just pacing the reveal cause...I don't know really, I guess some consumer psychology poo poo.

I'm kind of surprised y'all didn't expect addons, I very much did. This is a design that's so clearly and extensively modular that I would have been shocked if we never saw anything beyond the base box and SGs. And frankly, it's almost unheard of at this point to Kickstart a game and just have one pledge level and one box and not have any additional content at all. I think I've done a few solo games like that but that's about it. (Witchcraft, and the current Solo Game of the Month series entry for April come to mind.) Personally I don't feel like this one is particularly unreasonable, although I'll probably wait til the PM to do addons. Debating whether I want the monster box, in particular - I do think I'd like some different regular monsters to mix things up, but the fact that you're only getting one new set for that kind of money...well, I blame it on the minis.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Azubah posted:

The slow addition of extras in the bloodborne board game turned me off of the campaign and most KS these days. FOMO has limits lol

Funny you mention this one. Bloodborne was one of the first Kickstarters I've done where additional announcements made me less and less excited, especially with the Kickstarter exclusive FOMO. It turned me off from CMON pretty strongly and has made it hard to get even the base game to the table. It just leaves a bad feeling to choose between having an incomplete game or spending a ton of money on something you haven't played.

In contrast, I was really happy with the Level 99 version of Guilty Gear where there was the game box. There were some add ons that were cosmetic and you could get their previous Exceed boxes, but there wasn't the crazy FOMO treadmill. I liked that much better and I'm honestly quite burnt out on stretch goal naps and stuff like that.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

I think it's pretty common with kickstarter, covid and the shipping issues was probably the only thing that saved us from being overwhelmed with garbage thrown at us.

it happened to me with nemesis retaliation, it's just an insane amount of boxes and excess. Aeon Tresspass: SoH also bombarded you with boxes and turned people away.

With this one thoough it doesn't seem that bad? the campaign expansion seems like an actual good use of an expansion box, making the campaign mode completely optional. the monsters is a bit more annoying but they look pretty unique and cool. we'll see how crazy they go with the cosmetic upgrades but from reading the comments the developers seem reasonable?

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
It might not be "that bad" but people were hoping it wouldn't be bad at all, since they started the campaign with just one pledge level and no extra fluff, which was nice and refreshing.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

they did say there would probably be expansions though. its not like they did that thing where they have an all in pledge but then add more stuff, that really seems to piss people off

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
They were pretty up-front about intending expansions but people might have interpreted that to mean "down the line", rather than "as addons in this project". Although I'm pretty sure it means both, in this case.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Petersen Games just informed their backers that a mystery package is coming which will have information on their new partners. So, there apparently are new partners and we'll know more in 8 weeks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jedit posted:

Petersen Games just informed their backers that a mystery package is coming which will have information on their new partners. So, there apparently are new partners and we'll know more in 8 weeks.

pinky promise, for real real this time

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

pinky promise, for real real this time

Link came back on to the Discord to confirm that it's legit, and that he's been hired by the new company - not by PG. It may turn out to be a nothingburger, but this is not Sandy or Art making promises they can't keep.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
This must be a backer communication channel that isn't Kickstarter, because I haven't heard anything from them and I'm waiting for 3 different projects.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/1c2yh4o/petersen_games_update_just_had_this_email/

i didnt get the email so i guess my small(thank god) pledge of one Planet Apocalypse expansion pack was unworthy of puzzles and whatever the gently caress

it's like PG want to piss people off lol

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Jedit posted:

So today’s Kickstarter update says “I am excited about this new partnership, and I hope you will be too. While our benefactor is, for now, secret, his identity will be revealed soon (possibly with your mystery package?) His involvement has allowed Petersen Games to focus on our core talents and passion for game creation, delivering new realms to conquer. Again let me reiterate how grateful we are for your fortitude in lasting with us this long.”

Any thoughts on who the mysterious benefactor could be? The “his identity” part makes me wonder if it’s a person or a company.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Awakened realms?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Got like 7 of that update. Whee. But for the outstanding projects they did edit it to promise that the specific project being updated was coming. So there's that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Azubah posted:

Awakened realms?

It'd make sense with the lovely AI art that accompanied the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vidmaster posted:

Any thoughts on who the mysterious benefactor could be? The “his identity” part makes me wonder if it’s a person or a company.

Sandy refers to the benefactor as an individual man, but Link refers to it as a company that is now employing him. That suggests a company directed by a single head.

I can see it being Awaken Realms also, though. Sandy mentioned "new realms to conquer" and that's exactly the type of veiled reference he likes to slip in.