Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Al-Saqr posted:

Also the british airline 'Easy Jet' is cancelling all flights to Israel over the next six months

This way they will save lives, because the less easy jet planes are in the air the less crashes will happen.

Also really worryingly for the Israelis alot of airlines that cancelled flights are not in a rush to resume flights, there is definitely the same effect of companies being afraid to risk their planes the way shipping companies are.

And due to this, El-Al, the israeli airline company has been raising their prices significantly because capitalism is ftw. lots of israelis crying about how expensive their passover vacation is gonna be (the reasonable complaint of people who are allegedly in a war fighting to defend themselves against an existential threat)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

And due to this, El-Al, the israeli airline company has been raising their prices significantly because capitalism is ftw. lots of israelis crying about how expensive their passover vacation is gonna be (the reasonable complaint of people who are allegedly in a war fighting to defend themselves against an existential threat)

wow you're right I just checked a flight from saudi to new york over the next month is a hundred dollars cheaper than a flight to tel aviv to new york!

Maybe I should do a really annoying and insensitive propaganda video like the israelis and film myself going to new york and eating delicious Babka, Bagels, Delis, Katz's etc while making really annoying cutesy soyfaces and talk about how awesome and cheap my flight is and scream free palestine between each bite.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 12:25 on Apr 16, 2024

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Al-Saqr posted:

Maybe I should do a really annoying and insensitive propaganda video like the israelis and film myself going to new york and eating delicious Babka, Bagels, Delis, Katz's etc while making really annoying cutesy soyfaces and talk about how awesome and cheap my flight is and scream free palestine between each bite.

if you go to NYC I will take a train down for a day and drag another goon with me. Also suspect many of the posts here are coming from NYC metro area.

Al-Saqr Goon Meet. poo poo, I'd contribute to your airfare to make this happen.

KlavierVogel
Feb 27, 2004

[] an old crow spoke to me [] busted leg limped down the street [] said we're both tied to our own trees [] cut me loose, cut me loose []

Al-Saqr posted:

wow you're right I just checked a flight from saudi to new york over the next month is a hundred dollars cheaper than a flight to tel aviv to new york!

I'd contribute to that GoFundMe

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

KlavierVogel posted:

haha, jinx, and, it seems like we could definitely make this happen, from a financial perspective anyway. Whether Al-Saqr actually wants to come visit the throbbing financial heart of the great satan is another story.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

if you go to NYC I will take a train down for a day and drag another goon with me. Also suspect many of the posts here are coming from NYC metro area.

Yeah come down I'd be down for a Mideast bagel meetup

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

KlavierVogel posted:

haha, jinx, and, it seems like we could definitely make this happen, from a financial perspective anyway. Whether Al-Saqr actually wants to come visit the throbbing financial heart of the great satan is another story.

Shageletic posted:

Yeah come down I'd be down for a Mideast bagel meetup

you cant fool me youre all FBI honeytraps

lol just kidding

i love new york ive been there several times for a few days, i wouldnt mind going sometime soon.

once i re-gain employment and save up some
money to do fun stuff lets see what to do. i miss the metropolitan museum the most and definitely sylvias in harlem was really awesome, so was the talent show at the appollo. drat that was such a good time.

if there was one deli i want to go back to its this one:-

Russ & Daughters

https://g.co/kgs/tnAEau2

i went to new york for a couple days, i saw this Deli on Louie C.K.'s old show and tried it, its loving awesome

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 12:53 on Apr 16, 2024

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

remember to get some war hammers in the duty free

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Weka posted:

Not sure, but it's been 40 years since they could buy a part, so they have presumably been making their own. Like what even is a maintenance facility in this context? Some computers to plug into the onboard computers? Special tools? Nothing beyond the capabilities of the Iranian brain bros and consequently, their allies.

a maintenence facility will have spare parts, documentation, special tools, diagnostic computers, etc. All of which can be copied and learned from. The most important will be the wear schedules or whatever they're called - anything that flies has components with fixed usable lifespans and knowing that keeps your fleet in the air without you having to piece bits together after a midair explosion to figure out what failed and mark down "central turbine core blades - failed after 5201 hours"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also supposedly there was multiple intentional impacts at one of the airbases as well, along with the buildings hit, if they have focused their effort on intentional damage they could have seriously damaged that base with what they got through much less a larger strike.

It is also why the US is still trying to throw bucks on water on it.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

no wonder they shitcanned him, if they even suspected he might say a fraction of that on air he was completely unacceptable to the western media.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

PawParole posted:

Israel

Aerial photos of swimming pool/rec center

I know, I know. It's just funny considering how much they're tarnished the legacy of the Holocaust

https://x.com/AnalyticaCamil1/status/1780162674719879662

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

“Pa pa pa pleaaaase!”

https://x.com/snarwani/status/1780199469172113877?s=46

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

:pathetic:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Then Iran has to do another symbolic strike and then Israel has to do a bigger symbolic strike and then Iran has to until one of them calls base

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Al-Saqr posted:

you cant fool me youre all FBI honeytraps

lol just kidding

i love new york ive been there several times for a few days, i wouldnt mind going sometime soon.

once i re-gain employment and save up some
money to do fun stuff lets see what to do. i miss the metropolitan museum the most and definitely sylvias in harlem was really awesome, so was the talent show at the appollo. drat that was such a good time.

if there was one deli i want to go back to its this one:-

Russ & Daughters

https://g.co/kgs/tnAEau2

i went to new york for a couple days, i saw this Deli on Louie C.K.'s old show and tried it, its loving awesome

You should check out Cherry Valley sometime: http://www.cherryvalleydeliandgrill2.com/menu

The Bushman or Beast at 2am is an experience

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

you need to go up to that mass shooter gunning down children and apologize for throwing a rock at him or else he might get even angrier and do god knows what

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

PawParole posted:

Oh, and they dropped a ballistic missile on top of the base’s officer’s swimming pool/rec center. You can see screenshots close-ups of what was hit prior to the attack via google maps attached here.

playtimes over

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The US has lost WW3

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

But why would such decoding be viewed as an effective way of punishing and teaching lessons to the Chinese? If inquiry is confined to missionaries with lengthy experience in China, for example, they apparently believed that these acts would be effective because of their own “understanding of Chinese character and conditions.” Central to such an understanding appears to have been what missionaries identified as a fundamental trait of the Chinese - their notion of “face.” The Rev. Arthur Smith, at the time one of the most widely read “experts” on Chinese behavior, defined face as “an integral part of both Chinese theory and practice,” one in which “realities” were far less important than “appearances.” “If the latter can be saved,” he argued,

“the former may be altogether surrendered.” This is the essence of the mysterious “face” of which we are never done hearing in China. The line of Pope might be the Chinese national motto: “Act well your part, there all the honour lies”; not, be it observed, doing well what is to be done, but consummate acting, contriving to convey the appearance of a thing or a fact, whatever the realities may be.

Smith went on to explain that the Chinese were continually caught up in the process of gaining, preserving, or losing face. In so doing, they frequently had to act in an “arbitrary and violent manner,” “fly into a violent rage,” or otherwise use “reviling and perhaps imprecatory language.” Such behavior was essential for indicating to the “spectators” of the “drama” in which the individual was “at the moment acting” that he was “aware just what ought to be done by a person in his precise situation.” Not to do the proper thing would be to descend from the stage, or “lose face.” The language here is important, for in Smith’s version of face, the Chinese treated all the world as a stage on which appearance was all and reality insignificant.

Smith presented this “Chinese characteristic” as an accurate representation of Chinese social behavior, and it has come down to us largely unquestioned in that form. The point is not whether face is actually an organizing category in Chinese practices but rather the place that it holds in a Western discourse of ritualized destruction and lesson teaching. We must consider, in other words, the role of face in authorizing the destruction of walls, towers, and temples. The China lore of missionaries such as Brown and Smith constituted “face” as a singular attribute of the colonized, while denying that representatives of the allied powers were concerned themselves with appearances or that their discursive practices might actually produce “face.” Constructing their Chinese in these terms (making their object, as it were, responsible for the illusions of face), the Powers could then in good conscience act with impunity against symbols they took as significant to a Chinese mind that could mistakenly ascribe magical powers to walls and confuse the apparent and the real. The actions taken in Baoding and Taiyuan can also be understood, therefore, as designed to inflict a loss of face on a people continuously play-acting the game of face.

- Leaving a Brand on China: Missionary Discourse in the Wake of the Boxer Movement

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

But why would such decoding be viewed as an effective way of punishing and teaching lessons to the Chinese? If inquiry is confined to missionaries with lengthy experience in China, for example, they apparently believed that these acts would be effective because of their own “understanding of Chinese character and conditions.” Central to such an understanding appears to have been what missionaries identified as a fundamental trait of the Chinese - their notion of “face.” The Rev. Arthur Smith, at the time one of the most widely read “experts” on Chinese behavior, defined face as “an integral part of both Chinese theory and practice,” one in which “realities” were far less important than “appearances.” “If the latter can be saved,” he argued,

“the former may be altogether surrendered.” This is the essence of the mysterious “face” of which we are never done hearing in China. The line of Pope might be the Chinese national motto: “Act well your part, there all the honour lies”; not, be it observed, doing well what is to be done, but consummate acting, contriving to convey the appearance of a thing or a fact, whatever the realities may be.

Smith went on to explain that the Chinese were continually caught up in the process of gaining, preserving, or losing face. In so doing, they frequently had to act in an “arbitrary and violent manner,” “fly into a violent rage,” or otherwise use “reviling and perhaps imprecatory language.” Such behavior was essential for indicating to the “spectators” of the “drama” in which the individual was “at the moment acting” that he was “aware just what ought to be done by a person in his precise situation.” Not to do the proper thing would be to descend from the stage, or “lose face.” The language here is important, for in Smith’s version of face, the Chinese treated all the world as a stage on which appearance was all and reality insignificant.

Smith presented this “Chinese characteristic” as an accurate representation of Chinese social behavior, and it has come down to us largely unquestioned in that form. The point is not whether face is actually an organizing category in Chinese practices but rather the place that it holds in a Western discourse of ritualized destruction and lesson teaching. We must consider, in other words, the role of face in authorizing the destruction of walls, towers, and temples. The China lore of missionaries such as Brown and Smith constituted “face” as a singular attribute of the colonized, while denying that representatives of the allied powers were concerned themselves with appearances or that their discursive practices might actually produce “face.” Constructing their Chinese in these terms (making their object, as it were, responsible for the illusions of face), the Powers could then in good conscience act with impunity against symbols they took as significant to a Chinese mind that could mistakenly ascribe magical powers to walls and confuse the apparent and the real. The actions taken in Baoding and Taiyuan can also be understood, therefore, as designed to inflict a loss of face on a people continuously play-acting the game of face.

- Leaving a Brand on China: Missionary Discourse in the Wake of the Boxer Movement

lmao, this reads like the gbs china thread

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
American told to gently caress off by Yemen and now Iran doing very well in the middle east

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

fits my needs posted:

lmao, this reads like the gbs china thread

I just found a scan of this, and I'm dying to see how little has changed

e: It was reprinted in 1970 in anticipation of the US reaching out to the PRC and apparently was taken on the 1972 trip to China

:psyduck:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Israel trying to figure out the symbolic cuck strike:

https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1780208222655098981

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

SplitSoul posted:

I hate to go all "media literacy", but I think this woman was married to Richard Spencer, so it's probably best to go with another source for this.

Is the video and the pictures not real?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I just found a scan of this, and I'm dying to see how little has changed

e: It was reprinted in 1970 in anticipation of the US reaching out to the PRC and apparently was taken on the 1972 trip to China

:psyduck:

lmfao

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

His shoes lmfao

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Leandros posted:

His shoes lmfao

They go hard, I'd make that the thread title if I could

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

how many rounds of "symbolic strikes" back and forth before its a "symbolic regional war?"

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Gonna do this but with you know what

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Okay, made it to the contents, and this could have been printed in 2011

I'm pretty sure my wife has books like this from her trade missions to China.

e: Why would Chinese people in 1894 have "contempt for foreigners"?

:thunk:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

how many rounds of "symbolic strikes" back and forth before its a "symbolic regional war?"

iran hastily assembling a base commander swimming pool and painting a giant looney tunes target on it

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

e: Why would Chinese people in 1894 have "contempt for foreigners"?

:thunk:

man I dont know why the chinese are so mad we're literally giving them drugs and stuff they should chill out.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Al-Saqr posted:

man I dont know why the chinese are so mad we're literally giving them drugs and stuff they should chill out.

It's actually driving me a bit crazy to see how little has changed, and also that even if you showed someone that Cradle article about the US indirectly asking Iran to let Israel save face, they would still think these are inscrutable oriental traits.

"... the principles that regulate 'face' and its attainment are often wholly beyond the intellectual apprehension of the Occidental, who is constantly forgetting the theatrical element, and wandering off into the irrelevant region of fact."

:allears:

I bet books written about Arabs and Persians haven't changed much either, come to think of it. Somewhere in the State Dept today an intern is highlight passages about the Persian love of haggling for a briefing on escalation management.

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

This is insane!
Didn’t somewhere deep in this thread did we learn that those batteries are moved every hour or so…to a different location?

https://x.com/warmonitors/status/1780212394435727732?s=46

https://x.com/hadinasrallah/status/1780218738056335659?s=46

CheetoVonTito has issued a correction as of 14:15 on Apr 16, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

CheetoVonTito posted:

This is insane!
Didn’t somewhere deep in this thread did we learn that those batteries are moved every hour or so…to a different location?

The difference between theory and practice is "what can you get (Israeli in particular) conscripts to do six months into a war?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it’s also probably not that unlikely that they were being moved between a fixed number of locations even when they were being moved on schedule