Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Blah blah the language of film blah blah mutant ethnostate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

My first thought on seeing the Genosha scenes was 'it's like Brazil?', especially with the prominence of the pyramid-like structure. Which I am just now learning Brazil didn't even have pyramids, or at least any famous ones.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 16, 2024

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Blah blah the language of film blah blah mutant ethnostate.

Fair.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think they should have Cable use time travel to save Gambit, and then have a long scene explaining that he was at Genosha back in season 1 specifically to spring Gambit from prison, and that's why he didn't help anyone else in that episode. And that in the future Gambit will do something to save young Cable, and so on and so on. This show doesn't have enough convoluted exposition or bullshit time loops to give me that real 90s X-Men feel.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

live with fruit posted:

Is the postcredit scene going to be the X-Men meeting Captain Carter?

In the comics, whenever the Watcher pops up and isn't 1) outright interacting with characters or 2) hosting a What If story, it means that something major and important to history is about to go down. Like early on in Civil War, the heroes saw him looking on and knew that poo poo was going to get ugly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gavok posted:

In the comics, whenever the Watcher pops up and isn't 1) outright interacting with characters or 2) hosting a What If story, it means that something major and important to history is about to go down. Like early on in Civil War, the heroes saw him looking on and knew that poo poo was going to get ugly.

Yea there's at least one comic where someone notices the Watcher and everyone else is all "ah poo poo, this isn't good".

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Part of the Watcher’s thing is that he is supposed to watch but not interfere. But he does care about Earth, so he frequently loopholes by making himself known to be watching that way people know something serious is about to happen.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I hope Apocalypse turns out to be behind it. Not for storyline reasons as much as symbolism, because that episode evoked the book of Revelation better than anything the show has done with Apocalypse so far. I realized part of the reason I think that and appreciated the episode so much was fairly recently seeing the (horrifying) movie Come and See, which equated Revelation/The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse with Nazi genocide above all else.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 19 days!)

I don’t even know what Apocalypse’s thing is, his stories don’t really reach the mainstream knowledge much, at least from the YouTube videos that pop on my feed for comic book stories

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't think Apocalypse would send sentinels to kill a bunch of mutants. Sinister would make more sense along with Bastion.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah he wouldn’t be the one actively sending them or building them, he usually has his own goons, he might allow it to happen if it was already in motion though.

His whole deal is survival of the fittest so he’d see it as a crucible for a bunch of mutants to see who gets through it.

I suspect it is going to be just super hardcore human supremacists though, since the show opened with them and such. Probably Nimrod/Bastion behind it with time travel tech stuff since Cable showed up right there as well.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

GateOfD posted:

I don’t even know what Apocalypse’s thing is, his stories don’t really reach the mainstream knowledge much, at least from the YouTube videos that pop on my feed for comic book stories

The strong survive, the weak perish, and sometimes he gives the conditions a nudge to make it happen whenever things look stale and safe. Doubt he'd use Sentinels though.

That said, he has mellowed a lot in recent years, he's doing a bit of a Magneto thing at the moment. Shaw (hyper capitalist), Selene (eternal vampire), and Sabretooth (Tall Wolverine) seem to be the main completely irredeemable mutants these days.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

My first thought on seeing the Genosha scenes was 'it's like Brazil?', especially with the prominence of the pyramid-like structure. Which I am just now learning Brazil didn't even have pyramids, or at least any famous ones.

thank you so much for this lol

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
All foreign cities are a constant MardiGras on the Los Vegas strip. Welcome to ambiguously exotic not-America.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Mutants being behind the Genosha attack would undercut the message tbh

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Rarity posted:

That’s a good point. Conspiracy culture is full of bullshit about false flags and crisis actors. “Genosha was an inside job” would feel gross.

Edit: “The UN ‘riot’ was a false flag. Sure there Friends of Humanity there, but they were peaceful protesters! The Globalists used shape shifter mutants and bussed in Democrat college students from a Blue State! They are coming for our guns and ordering my Bone Broth pills is the only way to stop them! “

I have the worst day dreams.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 16, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Yea wouldn’t like that. Liked that the counsel had a bunch of members of groups that were antagonistic to the X-men in the past. But if it’s a country, them just being another political party in the mix in mutant congress was an interesting concept.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rarity posted:

Yeah that's probably why Bastion is the best bet.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

Ok. You’re misunderstanding. I’m accusing Disney of exactly what you are describing. Using a reductivist template for ‘minority utopias’. Do you understand me, now?

Bustling street markets are a thing everywhere. A lot of population centers across the world are actually like that. Dancing with your buds is actually the utopian thing to do.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Bastion doesn't make sense because he's the magical amalgamation of master mold and nimrod via the siege perilous. Please don't introduce the siege perilous.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

The Grumbles posted:

Bustling street markets are a thing everywhere. A lot of population centers across the world are actually like that. Dancing with your buds is actually the utopian thing to do.

I’m not saying bustling streets and street dancing or bad. I’m saying that using them as visual shorthand for “we’re not in Kansas, anymore, white folks!” is bad. Wakanda has a theme, goddamit. You get off the plane in Wakanda and you know you’re in a cool sci-fi Africa. You get off the plane in Genosha and all you know is that you’re in a place coded for “exotic”. Could be Brazil, could be the Aegean, could be on a loving Star Wars planet. That feels like “othering” to me.

I’ve seen this in other shows and films, but, of course, I decided to bring it up here. If you really want to get a wrong headed right wing conspiracy out of me…Disney is pushing the 15-minute city agenda on us. Why is Magneto using a mass transit train to beat back the spectre of extinction? Symbolism, much!?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

iceyman posted:

Bastion doesn't make sense because he's the magical amalgamation of master mold and nimrod via the siege perilous. Please don't introduce the siege perilous.
If we're including the original series, that show did a LOT of crazy time travel poo poo and future weirdness

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

I’m not saying bustling streets and street dancing or bad. I’m saying that using them as visual shorthand for “we’re not in Kansas, anymore, white folks!” is bad. Wakanda has a theme, goddamit. You get off the plane in Wakanda and you know you’re in a cool sci-fi Africa. You get off the plane in Genosha and all you know is that you’re in a place coded for “exotic”. Could be Brazil, could be the Aegean, could be on a loving Star Wars planet. That feels like “othering” to me.

I’ve seen this in other shows and films, but, of course, I decided to bring it up here. If you really want to get a wrong headed right wing conspiracy out of me…Disney is pushing the 15-minute city agenda on us. Why is Magneto using a mass transit train to beat back the spectre of extinction? Symbolism, much!?

The point I got from the Genosha setting was that it was not anchored to a specific world culture because the mutants are trying to build their own cultural identity, which ties in with a lot of Claremont X-Men as far as I'm aware. So it is literally as well as figuratively 'other'.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who was the demon lookin guy wiht wings (Not Kurt)

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

zoux posted:

Who was the demon lookin guy wiht wings (Not Kurt)

Exodus.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

The Grumbles posted:

The point I got from the Genosha setting was that it was not anchored to a specific world culture because the mutants are trying to build their own cultural identity, which ties in with a lot of Claremont X-Men as far as I'm aware. So it is literally as well as figuratively 'other'.

And it’s a hot 30 seconds of cool cameos. That is what the audience (me) should be fixated on. Instead, wondering if, like, Dazzler had to get permission to close that street for that dance scene. I think I have a point, but this not the best example I should go with.

Let’s all assume that Magneto and Co accidentally crashed Exodus’ birthday party. They have been planning this for weeks. Exodus loves bland NPR “world music” and is loving hammered, which is why he is cutting a rug. All our questions answered.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

I decided to bring it up here. If you really want to get a wrong headed right wing conspiracy out of me…Disney is pushing the 15-minute city agenda on us.

Oh man you better sit down when you read about EPCOT or the 64’ Worlds Fair.

Good lord.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Oh man you better sit down when you read about EPCOT or the 64’ Worlds Fair.

Good lord.

Which was retconned into the MCU as a Howard Stark endeavor. He used it to hide the secret to free energy. Symbolism?!

The Globalists have to tell you what they are going to do via the entertainment industry. That’s how their dark magic works.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rarity posted:

Well the Genosha attack in the comic was done by a Mutant. Though the attack never would have been possible had humans not built the Sentinels.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

New preview clip shows a very unexpected and very loaded cameo: Vulcan, Cyclops' other brother.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gavok posted:

New preview clip shows a very unexpected and very loaded cameo: Vulcan, Cyclops' other brother.
Oh boy

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

OK this will be worth it for all the seizures that comic news site writers will have writing the articles on unpacking that.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

X-O posted:

OK this will be worth it for all the seizures that comic news site writers will have writing the articles on unpacking that.

Already messaged my editor.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There are some really loud Polaris fans on CBR who lost their poo poo that she wasn't in Episode 5. Apparently Genosha is a big moment for her character in the comics.

But anyway, I bring this up here just because Rachel Summers hasn't really been in anything. For a pretty important character for several decades, she hasn't been in poo poo. But they're gonna introduce vULCAN. vAGUELY IRRITATING TO ME.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s funny, Polaris shows up in the original series but they don’t call her that. She just goes by her regular name.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I still think that it's rather fascinating that through five and a half seasons, the X-Men cartoon never introduced Kitty Pryde, the character who the initial X-Men cartoon pilot was named after.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

There are some really loud Polaris fans on CBR who lost their poo poo that she wasn't in Episode 5. Apparently Genosha is a big moment for her character in the comics.

Eh, not really. She's one of the very few survivors of the Genoshan massacre and acts crazy for an issue.

Gavok posted:

I still think that it's rather fascinating that through five and a half seasons, the X-Men cartoon never introduced Kitty Pryde, the character who the initial X-Men cartoon pilot was named after.

Pryde of the X-Men tanked so hard it took her career with it. I always find it funny that TAS found room to at least cameo 99% of all X-Men tangentially related characters from the comics (up until that time obviously), including some very deep cuts, except for Kitty.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

iceyman posted:

Pryde of the X-Men tanked so hard it took her career with it.

At least it gave us one of the best arcade games ever.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

The X-Men arcade game NOT being based off the 90's X-men cartoon but of one made earlier in the late 80s which just had a few episodes.

especially with Dazzler, saw her power move and was like huh? its a female gambit since she would throw something into the ground and it would explode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s funny, Polaris shows up in the original series but they don’t call her that. She just goes by her regular name.

Couldn't secure that brand sponsorship