Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

"The sex offender who owes $500million+ and is standing trial right now? We are very similar"

178: the number of indictments trump will amass before he's finally stopped.

sinky fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Check out these leading questions from Peston
https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1780125781877801257

:allears:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It wasn't an assassination, it was an execution.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*walking in on a clear autoerotic asphyxiation* oh my god an assassination

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

You should be allowed to bunk off school for prayer breaks because it teaches you to bunk off work for smoke and bog breaks
recommend developing digestive issues so your bog breaks also double as prayer breaks

grobbo
May 29, 2014

We need to study this pipeline where the most despised and laughable personalities in the UK can leg it to the USA and pretend to be a hot new commodity from across the channel with a voice that demands to be heard, because clearly America didn't figure it out after James Corden and Piers Morgan.

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

For me, music died with MF DOOM. Just like the entirety of england did with the Queen. All that's left is the deathrows of a heart pumping blood out of muscle memory after the brain was removed.

Last gig i went to see was wrest, a throwback, to the good ole mid 2010's when shoegaze was the hot indie topic.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Degeneracy is letting someone as appalling and repugnant as Boris Johnson steal your fiancée imho

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume shoegaze rhymes with benghazi.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Good evening Brixton we're Vile Rat and the Brown Mosës

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Good evening Brixton we're Vile Rat and the Brown Mosës

My favourite song of theirs is, Bush Did 9/11 (11:26) no vocals.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Pablo Bluth posted:

Dua Lipa was in Barbie. How is that not worldwide cultural relevance?

Probably because she's an even worse actor than Beyonce. She has what, a line and a half in Barbie and it looks like they just used the best one out of 50 takes.
See also using her all over the trailers/ads for Argylle, which she's in for less than a minute. I don't particularly care for her music but she should stay in that lane.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Saviour posted:

My favourite song of theirs is, Bush Did 9/11 (11:26) no vocals.
Bush Did (9:11)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Skinny jeans make a fat guy look like Dr Robotnik

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tesseraction posted:

That's a tough one, since I agree with the right to religious freedom, but I don't think you should be allowed to... hang on

well that erases any issue I had if she can just make up for lost time later.

As I understand it, a big part of the school's case was that some of the kids were using the whole thing as an excuse to bully others:

quote:

Jason Coppel KC, representing the school trust, told the court on Wednesday the prayer issue had triggered “an unprecedented outbreak of poor behaviour among pupils” at the school...

In school, Coppel said the prayer sessions led to growing segregation between non-Muslim and Muslim pupils in the playground, and that a number of Muslim children were observed by teachers applying peer pressure to other Muslim children, encouraging them to be more observant.

In one alleged incident described to the court, a child who had never previously worn a headscarf was pressured to wear one. A Muslim girl was said to have dropped out of the school choir after she was told by other Muslim children that it was haram (forbidden), while a number of other children were told they were “bad Muslims” for not praying and had begun to pray, according to written arguments before the court.

Relocate these circumstances to any boring state comprehensive you'd care to name, and it suddenly seems a lot more reasonable.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The law in question:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-cracks-down-on-deepfakes-creation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68823042

Good law, probably going to be badly implemented and filibustered by that backbench sex pervert again, and more than likely Rishi trying to take credit for a law the civil service / CJS have worked hard to try and get through.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

As I understand it, a big part of the school's case was that some of the kids were using the whole thing as an excuse to bully others:

Relocate these circumstances to any boring state comprehensive you'd care to name, and it suddenly seems a lot more reasonable.

Well then all the more reason to be glad they put a stop to it. For what it's worth, it being Birbalsingh's child torture playground didn't factor in to whether I agreed with the ban. The conflict is between my strictly secular view of schooling versus the right to free practise of religion.

But I suppose I forgot that you don't strictly have to keep the prayer schedule if circumstances prevent you doing it at the specific intended time.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

smellmycheese posted:

Degeneracy is letting someone as appalling and repugnant as Boris Johnson steal your fiancée imho

Finally someone in the media saying what needs to be said

No wait he said 'from' not 'about'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Still laugh to this day that weeks after she left him he had to give a fawning interview with Boris about his leadership campaign.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I just remembered the next gig I’ve got planned is a full play through over two nights of The Magnetic Fields’ 69 Love Songs in London. Can’t loving wait. Any other Merritt heads in here?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Tesseraction posted:

Still laugh to this day that weeks after she left him he had to give a fawning interview with Boris about his leadership campaign.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Jakabite posted:

I just remembered the next gig I’ve got planned is a full play through over two nights of The Magnetic Fields’ 69 Love Songs in London. Can’t loving wait. Any other Merritt heads in here?

Would absolutely have loved to see that one. Caught The Magnetic Fields last november when they were in Helsinki (first time in the country) and it was more of a hit parade but such a lovely evening nonetheless.

As to music, there’s just so much interesting one around nowadays that I’m mostly looking for decent human curation of it all. Used to listen to this weekly Independent Music Podcast, by two lads from South London, which was absolutely great, but they stopped at the end of the year. Backlog is definitely worth checking out, found some good stuff through there: https://open.spotify.com/show/5aUs2wPS2gwIGaHtIaFqc8?si=aEA0ysXAR3ea6o7loL4fgA

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Jakabite posted:

We're going to the Sunday of that - wedding on the Saturday somewhat annoyingly but I'm sure it will be fun. Looking forward to it.

Lunsku posted:

As to music, there’s just so much interesting one around nowadays that I’m mostly looking for decent human curation of it all. Used to listen to this weekly Independent Music Podcast, by two lads from South London, which was absolutely great, but they stopped at the end of the year. Backlog is definitely worth checking out, found some good stuff through there: https://open.spotify.com/show/5aUs2wPS2gwIGaHtIaFqc8?si=aEA0ysXAR3ea6o7loL4fgA

Thanks for the tip.

I'm in an "album club" that started over lockdown. Four of us pick an album each for everyone to listen to and chat about over a week. Really useful for new stuff but I am always in the hunt for more.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 16, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

Going to the two nights of this in Dublin :yaycloud:.

Caught the 50 Song Memoir show over 2 nights a couple years back and that was excellent. Seen them a bunch of times and they always deliver that sardonic camp excellence

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Zalakwe posted:

I'm in an "album club" that started over lockdown. Four of us pick an album each for everyone to listen to and chat about over a week. Really useful for new stuff but I am always in the hunt for more.

If you use Bluesky, there's a couple of different feeds you can subscribe to which automatically scrape for any posts with a bandcamp link in them - just search for 'bandcamp' in the Discover New Feeds box. You generally need to mute a couple of radio station bots that link to everything they play othewise it gets a bit much, but once you've done that it's a nice way of just being able to occasionally dip into what people you don't know are posting about and seeing if any of it is interesting.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Jakabite posted:

Ah thanks for reminding me to get tickets for the Manchester shows

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

... Vile Rat ...

o7

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Zalakwe posted:

This kind of stuff is v helpful. I have a few DJ mates, and one is a DJ/blogger/podcaster/Discord-er/etc so i get plenty of good steers. We also have a "random gigs" WhatsApp groups to encourage each other to get off our asses midweek and take a punt on new music shows

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Goldskull posted:

Probably because she's an even worse actor than Beyonce. She has what, a line and a half in Barbie and it looks like they just used the best one out of 50 takes.
See also using her all over the trailers/ads for Argylle, which she's in for less than a minute. I don't particularly care for her music but she should stay in that lane.
I was only being light-hearted, but honestly, the fact they feel shoehorning her in to movies is worthwhile does suggest she has cultural relevance. The real enigma to me is Taylor Swift. She's the largest star on the planet but I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you which song was hers. I could point out a Dua Lipa or Billie Eilish song, but somehow Swift has literally completely bypassed me. I know what she looks like, and the basic details of her dispute over her masters, but aurally zilch. No idea what her music sounds like, no idea what she sounds like when she talks.

#OldManYelllingAtClouds

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 16, 2024

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Handed my notice in first thing this morning via email and still not had any acknowledgement of it back. I only work on the main site on Fridays so don't really fancy driving over there in person to tell them I'm quitting as per my email.

What do? I would've expected something back off the boss.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Gambrinus posted:

Handed my notice in first thing this morning via email and still not had any acknowledgement of it back. I only work on the main site on Fridays so don't really fancy driving over there in person to tell them I'm quitting as per my email.

Phone call? cc HR?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gambrinus posted:

Will your email system give you a 'delivery receipt' or similar so you can prove when you gave it? (I'm assuming this is the issue?)
Or... that tech of long ago times - a fax? (You may have a fax app of some sort on your computer if your work place - probably HR - possibly has such a thing.)

https://uk.pcmag.com/old-fax-services/77296/how-to-send-and-receive-a-fax-online

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Music chat, I've just, like, today been introduced to It Bites. Good poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9oMpTRslm0

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Huh, hosed up if this anecdotal information is true
https://twitter.com/I_make_music/status/1780234581611778232

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

The real enigma to me is Taylor Swift. She's the largest star on the planet but I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you which song was here. I could point out a Dua Lipa or Billie Eilish song, but somehow Swift has literally completely bypassed me. I know what she looks like, and the basic details of her dispute over her masters, but aurally zilch. No idea what her music sounds like, no idea what she sounds like when she talks.

#OldManYelllingAtClouds
Swift also dipped into movie stuff with See How They Run Amsterdam, which was kind of funny because she shows up seeming like she's going to be a huge part of the story, and then almost immediately dies.

E: Amsterdam not See How They Run, thanks Failed Imagineer (thaineer)

I know a lot of people rag on her because no good billionaires, private jet etc but her music is pretty good for how popular it is. A little overproduced maybe, but I was surprised how good it is compared to most of the dreck that sells as much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1kbLwvqugk

Anti-hero was one I heard loving everywhere long before I knew it was her, mostly because of the "It's me, I'm the problem" bit.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 16, 2024

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If you use Bluesky, there's a couple of different feeds you can subscribe to which automatically scrape for any posts with a bandcamp link in them - just search for 'bandcamp' in the Discover New Feeds box. You generally need to mute a couple of radio station bots that link to everything they play othewise it gets a bit much, but once you've done that it's a nice way of just being able to occasionally dip into what people you don't know are posting about and seeing if any of it is interesting.

Thanks, that's another great tip.

Failed Imagineer posted:

This kind of stuff is v helpful. I have a few DJ mates, and one is a DJ/blogger/podcaster/Discord-er/etc so i get plenty of good steers. We also have a "random gigs" WhatsApp groups to encourage each other to get off our asses midweek and take a punt on new music shows

And this is to be applauded. Local shows are fun in their own right even if the music ends up being not your cup of tea and if they're really naff you can always have a laugh.

That said, my mate has never forgiven Simon Neil for spitting all over him during Biffy's set supporting King Adora in front of about 15 people at The Mission in Dundee.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Gorilla vs Bear is a good new music source, and a last brave outpost of the late 00s music blogs.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Swift also dipped into movie stuff with See How They Run, which was kind of funny because she shows up seeming like she's going to be a huge part of the story, and then almost immediately dies.

I laughed hard at this bit. But it was in the movie Amsterdam, not See How They Run - both kind of twee period romps so understandable confusion.

TS is pretty good - I'd say she's got at least a dozen certifiable bangers, but watching the entire Eras concert was a slog, she uses a lot of the same vocal patterns over and over and over. Her song with Justin Vernon is great.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Same as Pablo, I don't think I have heard Swift or Ed Sheeran sing one of their songs.
Sure must have done when in a shop, or passing car, or such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Huh, hosed up if this anecdotal information is true
https://twitter.com/I_make_music/status/1780234581611778232

You deny the holocaust yet according to x dot com, the everything app, you yourself are a holocaust, curious.