Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
This discussion is probably better in the modern history thread, but I'll probably get clowned on there so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Enjoy posted:

alternatively, the nazi collaborators existed because the soviet regime had murdered their friends and family a few years prior

shut up nazi bitch

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

it ended up working fine so idk how much the Cultural Revolution really mattered in the very long run

It's all class relations and material conditions anyway

Enjoy posted:

are you saying that there is some essentially nazi trait that flares up in a proportion of all humans and has to be violently purged because that's a completely anti-materialist take

Is there a cargo cult understanding of materialism going on here or something? I'm trying to parse these takes and coming up empty.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean, all the main backers of the Cultural Revolution ended up removed post-Mao, and Deng managed to get himself reinstated and institute market reforms and "30% wrong" assessment too, and it ended up working fine so idk how much the Cultural Revolution really mattered in the very long run

China is still communist

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Sure. So was the USSR under NEP and under Khruschev. It isn't clear that the USSR collapse and perestroika were a consequence of insufficient purges

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Enjoy posted:

are you saying that there is some essentially nazi trait that flares up in a proportion of all humans and has to be violently purged because that's a completely anti-materialist take

I'm saying that there was a hell of a lot of reaction in developed societies in the early 20th century. Most visibly so in those that had communist revolutions.

I might even say that the essentially nazi trait is that fascism is liberalism in distress, and thus exists in all liberal societies, including our own societies today.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It isn't clear that the USSR collapse and perestroika were a consequence of insufficient purges

??? that is literally the most reasonable conclusion!!!

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Orange Devil posted:

I'm saying that there was a hell of a lot of reaction in developed societies in the early 20th century. Most visibly so in those that had communist revolutions.

I might even say that the essentially nazi trait is that fascism is liberalism in distress, and thus exists in all liberal societies, including our own societies today.

Not sure what that has to do with shooting up Tuchachevsky, Bukharin and Zinoviev tbh

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

euphronius posted:

??? that is literally the most reasonable conclusion!!!

But why? How is Deng different from Khrushev?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

deng was a communist

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Weka posted:

What's the deal with this shed on wheels?

It's kind of a meme by now. The Russian built a rather large barn like anti-drone "armor" on top of a tank and used it as the leading tank in an assault which was a success and there were video of the barn actually doing it's job and turning drones into ineffective strike. The tank got a little too much fame and was relatively rapidly geolocated and destroyed with heavier means. Now, it seems the Russians built another one with upgrades in the form of slightly stronger roofing and an added drone protection via counter measure. It will probably also get destroyed over time because everything does but memeing in the reddit-rear end war is alive and well it seems.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sure. So was the USSR under NEP and under Khruschev. It isn't clear that the USSR collapse and perestroika were a consequence of insufficient purges

It is that purges in the late 1930s would only have so much of an effect when honestly the Soviet Union needed further purges in the mid-60s and then the early 1980s.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Is there a cargo cult understanding of materialism going on here or something? I'm trying to parse these takes and coming up empty.

The liberals didn't learn a new word today.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

This probably isn't the right thread for me to be making GBS threads up with this, but I don't believe this whole "the problem with the purges is that they didn't go far enough" narrative. As if removing enough people would eventually leave you with only ideologically disciplined true hardcore stalinists that wouldn't have done liberalization and lead to Gorbachev and perestroika. I think this is incredible wishful thinking and is a pretty anti-materalist understanding of history

I don't think the macro historical conditions of the USSR would be majorly different with or without the purges, with or without Stalin at the helm

the problem is not that "the purges didn't go far enough", the problem was that there weren't any later purges at all. The liberals and the nomenklatura that turned into USSR-destroying Gorbachevites were tolerated by Brezhnev, when he could certainly have cracked down hard on them

(and the fact that he didn't speaks to how Western images of his administration as some kind of return to Stalinism is, well, false)

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

euphronius posted:

deng was a communist

But Khrushev wasn't?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
It is said that, just before the Sino-Soviet split, Nikita Khrushchev had a tense meeting with Zhou Enlai at which he told the latter that he now understood the problem. “I am the son of coal miners,” he said. “You are the descendant of feudal mandarins. We have nothing in common.” “Perhaps we do,” murmured his Chinese antagonist. “What?” blustered Khrushchev. “We are,” responded Zhou, “both traitors to our class.”

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

More importantly Khrushchev was an idiot.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cassian of Imola posted:

continued from here

splitsoul if you can find a better or more complete transcription of that speech I'm happy to hear it. I noted I couldn't vouch for the translation myself, I just found it more plausible

Pretty sure that speech is in the sources for Ukraine in the crossfire, but I don't have it in front of me.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cassian of Imola posted:

continued from here

splitsoul if you can find a better or more complete transcription of that speech I'm happy to hear it. I noted I couldn't vouch for the translation myself, I just found it more plausible

Much like I wasn't criticizing PawParole for the content of the tweets he linked, but the tweeter herself, I am criticizing your choice of "fact-checker".

https://archive.md/qIGEe
https://neweasterneurope.eu/2020/08/03/zaborona-vs-stopfake-what-is-hiding-behind-ukraines-ongoing-media-conflict/

I'm sure someone else can elaborate on Poroshenko's stance on the nazi units.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Orange Devil posted:

It is said that, just before the Sino-Soviet split, Nikita Khrushchev had a tense meeting with Zhou Enlai at which he told the latter that he now understood the problem. “I am the son of coal miners,” he said. “You are the descendant of feudal mandarins. We have nothing in common.” “Perhaps we do,” murmured his Chinese antagonist. “What?” blustered Khrushchev. “We are,” responded Zhou, “both traitors to our class.”

lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m pretty sure your original post said Gorbachev not Khrushchev

Khrushchev was not very effective. Deng was

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Poroshenko's stance is whichever one keeps him safe and gets him the most money.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The idea that governments rise and fall simply because this or that leader is influenced by this or that idea or cultulral force or "soft power" rather than because of societal, economic factors and developments in the class makeup of the country is anti-materialist. This is not cargo cult.

Longing for jeans and pizza hut is not the cause. It is a symptom.

AFancyQuestionMark has issued a correction as of 15:24 on Apr 16, 2024

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

purges can shape the makeup of the ruling class tho, as well as their methods and means.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I'll stop making GBS threads up the thread now

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

SplitSoul posted:

Much like I wasn't criticizing PawParole for the content of the tweets he linked, but the tweeter herself, I am criticizing your choice of "fact-checker".

https://archive.md/qIGEe
https://neweasterneurope.eu/2020/08/03/zaborona-vs-stopfake-what-is-hiding-behind-ukraines-ongoing-media-conflict/

I'm sure someone else can elaborate on Poroshenko's stance on the nazi units.

Yeah that's fair enough, ty

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Weka posted:

What's the deal with this shed on wheels?

CRAB

TANK

CRAB TANK

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The liberals didn't learn a new word today.

Indeed, it appears they instead did a no-growth

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 15:26 on Apr 16, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

This discussion is probably better in the modern history thread, but I'll probably get clowned on there so

Well for the purposes of clarifying things, the texts I was trained in, and still keep hard copies near my desk are:

Bottomore's A Dictionary of Marxist Thought,
Making History: Agency, Structure, and Change in Social Theory by Callinicos,
Materialism and the Dialectical Method by Cornforth,
Doran's Theology and the Dialectics of History,
New Dialectics and Political Economy, by Albritton and Simoulidis :canada: ,
Values, Objectivity, and Explanation in Historiography by Førland,
Ideas and Methodologies in Historical Research by Luarsabishvili (recent)
The Rise and Fall of Culture History by Lyman,
Historical Knowledge: In Quest of Theory, Method and Evidence by Bellmen,
Gramsci’s Laboratory: Philosophy, History and Politics by Bianchi,
Cadeddu's A Companion to Antonio Gramsci: Essays on History and Theories of History, Politics and Historiography,
Ownership and Exploitation of Land and Natural Resources in the Roman World by Erdcamp,
A Commentary on the Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church,
The Material of World History by Chen,
Theory as History: Essays on Modes of Production and Exploitation by Banaji,
Antonio Gramsci and the Ancient World by Zucchetti and Cimino,

Plus older economic and material evidence based, but not materialist works on theory like Toynbee, A.H.M Jones, Rostovtzeff, Bloch, Hobsbawm and most importantly Chris Wickham, who is a great materialist historian, but only works in Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages.

I'd probably argue that Hobsbawm and Wickham are materialists, but as I said Wickham has a narrow focus, (Banaji also takes issue with his hesitancy to use Marx's explanation of the transition between modes of production), and Hobsbawm's writing on historical method can be intimidating.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 15:31 on Apr 16, 2024

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The idea that governments rise and fall simply because this or that leader is influenced by this or that idea or cultulral force or "soft power" rather than because of societal, economic factors and developments in the class makeup of the country is anti-materialist. This is not cargo cult.

Materialism takes a broader view. It shapes the overall path of history, it doesn't necessarily do so for individual countries or empires or rulers. It sets up the stage, but significant events still have significant effects, and people in positions of power do have influence over smaller historical trends. The rise of communism was materialism, the specific failure of it to win in Germany can be down to smaller events or people, just as in the success of it in Russia, just as in the fall of the USSR.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

But Khrushev wasn't?

It’s hard to be a communist when you’re a dummy

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I'm still a little astounded at the idea that reactionary violence is somehow "anti-materialist", whatever that word is supposed to mean.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I'm still a little astounded at the idea that reactionary violence is somehow "anti-materialist", whatever that word is supposed to mean.

"Materialism" = God "freely and unchangeably ordained whatsoever comes to pass."

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah it seems like a very fatalist reading of materialism. Every outcome is determined my materialism so nothing any human being does matters.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

supersnowman posted:

More details on the guy's death Ukraine's Telegram was kinda mad about.

https://t.me/DDGeopolitics/107840

If that's true, then many of Ukraine's soldier are pissing away their soldier pay on top of fighting a losing war.

loving hell how much more grim can this conflict get. Is there something to be said about the complete despair inducing a lack of dopamine that gambling can compensate for?
e: or it being induced by the complete 180 of high stakes front warfare to sitting in barracks I suppose :smith:

Leandros has issued a correction as of 15:44 on Apr 16, 2024

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I didn't deny reactionary violence or said it was anti materialist, I meant the stuff on Gorbachev, jeans, perestroika, etc.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
materialism says that there are conditions that pre-determine all individual and social behavior forever. dialectical materialism is where it is acknowledged that social-ideological decisions about how to interact with and manipulate material conditions changes those material conditions and therefore the determinant variables of future social behavior/ideology

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you are going to have to unpack that jeans slogan

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/KyivPost/status/1780229745998696619

https://x.com/KyivIndependent/status/1780216877123244359

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I didn't deny reactionary violence or said it was anti materialist, I meant the stuff on Gorbachev, jeans, perestroika, etc.

I was talking about this take:

Enjoy posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

BrotherJayne posted:

CRAB

TANK

CRAB TANK

add some hydraulic pincers and eyestalk cameras to version 3 you absolute bitch rear end cowards