Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Majkol posted:

A depiction of a faux 50s/60s without racial discrimination/segregation but with the Cold war conflict intact was also a choice I guess.

And where were all the mad men?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Episode 2 spoiler: Maximus refusing to give Titus a stim after he took off his helmet and revealed he was indeed Michael Rapaport, in his natural habitat of being a bloodthirsty and cowardly piece of poo poo, was one of the greatest things I’ve seen on television.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

moths posted:

In the games, every important event hinges on a single player's actions.

At no point is it revealed that the Master is the player's uncle from before the war.

RBA Starblade posted:

And where were all the mad men?

There's Bud.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

kingcom posted:

The say Betty got 98% of the vote, the classic dictator fake election number. The propaganda influences enough people and they stack the deck by putting extreme charisma black holes as other candidates but why would they ever take the risk of an actual fair election?

I don’t think there was anything shady about the election, even one of the other candidates voted for Betty.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't think raiders killed anyone in vault 32, 31 killed them because the occupants figured out all their overseers were from 31 and hosed up the system. hence the wall scribblings about how they know what was going on, and how the raiders (aside from Moldaver probably) didn't know what the gently caress happened. maybe not the first time. not really sure if 31 was only responding to Moldaver breaking in or if they let her in for some reason

I wouldn't be surprised if 31 has had way more contact with the surface than was revealed in s1

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

hawowanlawow posted:

are the complaints about "sense of space" and how they don't show travel between places enough a TVIV specific meme?

Not really. Something I've always liked about Fallout and fiction in general is when they include a map. Maps are a great way to get your bearings and contextualize the space in which the action occurs. Like we know from the change in scenery that the Brotherhood airfield isn't in LA but we're not entirely clear where it is in relation to LA besides some nebulous notion of it being further East (and we only know that because the Brotherhood Airship came from the east coast heading west and made a stop there on their way to California)

It's a bit different from fight geometry which has more to do with cinematography and choreography, i.e. how the characters move around a given set/arena and the continuity of cuts and edits.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They should have put the map music in, that makes it better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMkWkNuxFAA

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

They should have put the map music in, that makes it better

Played over an extreme establishing shot taken from a satellite

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oasx posted:

I don’t think there was anything shady about the election, even one of the other candidates voted for Betty.

(Just adding a note to prevent all the nested spoiler quotes; Ep4-5 maybe?) Yea between him voting for her, and that one guy telling both candidates who he voted for, I feel like the entire Vault genuinely did vote for Betty. The only person who didn't vote for her was the candidate who did vote for himself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

are the complaints about "sense of space" and how they don't show travel between places enough a TVIV specific meme?

Fast travel, simple as

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They should get a car next season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jxn1sqAQ-c

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think a problem for creating a cohesive sense of space and location is the reality of wanting to film in ruins that fit the scenes means the actual locations are all over the world. There's a bit of shooting in California but a large portion of the desert wastes are an abandoned mine in Namibia, the colder semi urban ruins are in New York, etc.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also shout out to my boy norm, maybe this is just my biases but his look was totally ‘this guys a traitor’, especially with the way he was looking around at the Vault 32 visitors at the wedding I thought he was in on it. Instead he’s a complex character who is smart and perceptive and overcomes his fears and shows great courage. I wonder what decision he made in 31. A true short king.

Also I’ve only played 3 and 4, and a long time ago at that, so I was surprised at how much greenery there was around Filly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sharkopath posted:

I think a problem for creating a cohesive sense of space and location is the reality of wanting to film in ruins that fit the scenes means the actual locations are all over the world. There's a bit of shooting in California but a large portion of the desert wastes are an abandoned mine in Namibia, the colder semi urban ruins are in New York, etc.

Well technically it should be built over the ruins of the 2077 version of those locations, so Greater LA should be even more of a megalopolis than it already is in 2024. It would be neat if some iconic locations are built in the future from now but are considered old world monuments by the time of the show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh also I want to play FNV so I too can be enraged by canon desecration, is the Ultimate Edition gonna give me a satisfactory 2024 gaming experience? Any must have mods?

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

zoux posted:

Also I’ve only played 3 and 4, and a long time ago at that, so I was surprised at how much greenery there was around Filly.
1 and 2 were barren af too. I don't recall any locations that looked so much like a local dog park that was hosting a small renfaire.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

zoux posted:

Oh also I want to play FNV so I too can be enraged by canon desecration, is the Ultimate Edition gonna give me a satisfactory 2024 gaming experience? Any must have mods?

The anti-crash mods and 4GB patcher (unless you're playing on GOG in which case that .exe has already been updated to play at 4GB)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Majkol posted:

1 and 2 were barren af too. I don't recall any locations that looked so much like a local dog park that was hosting a small renfaire.

There's a lot of regrown forested areas in Fallout 2, as well as the deserts.

Plus like Shady Sands is a completely brand new construction city that's clean and has trees and grass everywhere. Vault City as well.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Majkol posted:

Didn't find the cultists or the Monty Python guy huh

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'd imagine not including a map or talking about travel time was a conscious choice made by the show. They didn't want to be beholden to internet nerds checking every episode for accurate travel time, and just want to tell a story.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

There's a lot of regrown forested areas in Fallout 2, as well as the deserts.

Plus like Shady Sands is a completely brand new construction city that's clean and has trees and grass everywhere. Vault City as well.

RBA Starblade posted:

Didn't find the cultists or the Monty Python guy huh

poo poo, you are right and I am old with a failing memory. They do have a very different vibe though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I am replaying Fallout 2 right now so my memory is fresh.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah lol, replaying it FO2 is basically half pop-culture jokes half FO1 sequel, but it does have a good amount of environment variety for where you are. The neat thing someone pointed out I never knew is that you can see the coastline in FO1 if you go far enough - there's just nothing there to bother doing it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'd imagine not including a map or talking about travel time was a conscious choice made by the show. They didn't want to be beholden to internet nerds checking every episode for accurate travel time, and just want to tell a story.

The GOT showrunners felt the same way in Season 8 and it sucked.

Sure it probably is a conscious decision not to include a map but I'd hesitate to suggest that the reason for that is to specifically avoid nerd pedantry about travel times.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

In the coastal areas of 2 you can have encounters with fishermen who sell random items they pulled out of the water. The ocean doesn't appear if you just drop into those squares though.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

NV is hands down my favorite game ever and I loved this show, the only criticism I have is that they overused the old-timey songs, it was like every action scene had to have an old-timey song behind it. I watched it with my husband who does not play video games and only has rough outlines of what Fallout is about. His only question was "so how big are these vaults supposed to be?" He thought it was equally fine as The Last of Us and The Witcher, so there's your average Joe on the street's takeaway.

Lots of solid jokes too, which really made it a Fallout show. It was funny when Lucy and Max kissed and it made the heads they were holding kiss too . I can tell the show was made with love or at least by people who understand Fallout's vibe. I also really liked that they made the main protagonist a woman because as a woman who's been into video games her whole life it's always nice to see representation of women as something other than damsels in distress or big-titty glamour heroines that look like that to give men boners (or both). Not a huge issue anymore and it being more normalized, but at my age I can remember when it wasn't always that way. I believe this is what they call 'feeling seen'. I like Ella Purnell as an actress and I'm happy to see that this is the direction in which big-money productions are headed.

Love that there several hosed up vaults to explore with cryptic messages scrawled on the wall in blood and spooky skeletons and horrible monsters and robot brains. Always my favorite parts of the games and one of my biggest problems with Fallout 4 was that there weren't enough vaults to explore.

I've read through the thread and most of my questions about what happened exactly have been resolved, but one thing I am still a little unclear on : In Vault 4, those pregnant women held in cryostatis (?) were being held only in cryostatis to protect them from having to give birth to fish monsters that would eat them as a result of the original scientist's experiments, right? The new Vault 4 people are like, looking for a cure or a procedure or something to save them? That's what I assume, but I was wondering if I missed something that confirmed that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I am replaying Fallout 2 right now so my memory is fresh.

How’s it hold up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I've read through the thread and most of my questions about what happened exactly have been resolved, but one thing I am still a little unclear on : In Vault 4, those pregnant women held in cryostatis (?) were being held only in cryostatis to protect them from having to give birth to fish monsters that would eat them as a result of the original scientist's experiments, right? The new Vault 4 people are like, looking for a cure or a procedure or something to save them? That's what I assume, but I was wondering if I missed something that confirmed that.

Yeah, they're trying to take care of them and figure out how to sort things out. The scientist dude who got acided's pretty much just a doctor. The Vault 4 descendants along with the NCR refugees are aware that the Vaults mostly are just hosed up experiments for Vault-tec to dick around with, but Lucy isn't, which is why she said her Vault didn't have one; she didn't know the score yet.

Max probably shouldn't have eaten the caviar.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

zoux posted:

How’s it hold up

It's good. Only issue is the patch for widescreen and the world map timing stuff seems to cause random framerate issues, sometimes I load into a town and the game runs at like, 4 FPS until it gets over that. Or doesn't and you gotta go to a new area. Very annoying, but infrequent enough it's not a huge problem.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Arc Hammer posted:

The GOT showrunners felt the same way in Season 8 and it sucked.

Sure it probably is a conscious decision not to include a map but I'd hesitate to suggest that the reason for that is to specifically avoid nerd pedantry about travel times.

Agree to disagree I guess. I think they looked at the end of GoT and said "yeah we don't wanna put up with that." The problem with GoT is it was established early on in the show that these places are far apart and the long travel times were built into the story, so suddenly dropping a major plot point is jarring and dumb. Fallout wants to avoid that from the beginning so it can remain consistent.

I'd imagine that nerds studying the maps and comparing them to game maps to point out any discrepancies is another good reason to avoid it. They had one map in the show, map of North America with the vaults all over it and within a few days it had already been compared to the games and the various vaults in those.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grand Fromage posted:

It's good. Only issue is the patch for widescreen and the world map timing stuff seems to cause random framerate issues, sometimes I load into a town and the game runs at like, 4 FPS until it gets over that. Or doesn't and you gotta go to a new area. Very annoying, but infrequent enough it's not a huge problem.

I hit that on my last playthrough, reloading the game seems to fix it most of the time. The encounters tied to framerate suck way more lol

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

(End of Season Spoilers)

hawowanlawow posted:

I don't think raiders killed anyone in vault 32, 31 killed them because the occupants figured out all their overseers were from 31 and hosed up the system. hence the wall scribblings about how they know what was going on, and how the raiders (aside from Moldaver probably) didn't know what the gently caress happened. maybe not the first time. not really sure if 31 was only responding to Moldaver breaking in or if they let her in for some reason

I wouldn't be surprised if 31 has had way more contact with the surface than was revealed in s1

I'm still a little confused about what exactly happened because I think you are correct, the show seems to reveal that 32 found out and either got killed or killed each other as a result. But we see 31 has direct communication with both 32 and 33. Which would imply 31 DOESN'T know what happened to 32, because otherwise shouldn't they have given Dad in 33 a heads up? Like "hey 32 knows, don't let them in or they'll tell your people"? Or "32 are all dead, don't go over there or your people will find out the truth."

Instead Dad seems to think the wedding is legitimate, which doesn't really fit with what we later learn. Maybe 32 rioted and killed their overseer before he could talk to 31, so 31+33 genuinely didn't know what's going on?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Ralph Crammed In posted:

NV is hands down my favorite game ever and I loved this show, the only criticism I have is that they overused the old-timey songs, it was like every action scene had to have an old-timey song behind it.
Maybe it was my imagination, but I feel they went extra heavy on the needle drops in the first few episodes and then lightened up on them a lot as the series went on. Jonathan Nolan directed the first three, so I wonder if that was mostly his doing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's also a wonder that he didn't recognize Moldaver, either as a prewar individual who presumably got frozen in a Vault or as an NCR citizen who was friends with his wife when he journeyed to the surface to drag his family home.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

As much as the FO2 jokes yank you out of the setting, it's exactly the kind of annoying referential humor you'd get at a tabletop RPG session from the era.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Not going to lie, I know they definitely went too heavy on the needle drops but I was also the one pointing to the screen and telling my wife "This is from the game!" every single time.

Incidentally, my wife who doesn't play games and has no knowledge of Fallout really loved the show. I think it did help that I was there to explain context for a lot of stuff, the timeline, etc. But I do think it's a pretty well done adaptation, I would argue even more so than the Last of Us given that the source was less "complete" as far as being able to be turned into a TV script.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I give it a pass because Interplay said yeah you guys are making a Fallout sequel, it needs to be like twice the size, and you have ten months instead of the four years the first game took. Get crackin'. And somehow it was great.

Good thing no one from Black Isle would ever have to go through that again. :v:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

It's also a wonder that he didn't recognize Moldaver, either as a prewar individual who presumably got frozen in a Vault or as an NCR citizen who was friends with his wife when he journeyed to the surface to drag his family home.

Yeah that was odd. I do think we're going to get more flashbacks of Moldaver, Rose, and the NCR life. It wasn't explicit but there was JUST enough there (the handholding, "we did it Rose") that Moldaver and Rose's relationship seemed very close. Got strong shipping vibes that might be explored down the road.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah that was odd. I do think we're going to get more flashbacks of Moldaver, Rose, and the NCR life. It wasn't explicit but there was JUST enough there (the handholding, "we did it Rose") that Moldaver and Rose's relationship seemed very close. Got strong shipping vibes that might be explored down the road.

A romantic angle would also explain why she kept rose around as a hosed up eyeless ghoul. Yes it's cruel, but she simply couldn't let go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

He did, he has a line I think I know who you are