Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I actually like the diligence sometimes for bots, but the counter-sniper is just... a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Gorelab posted:

Difficulty in this game has always been fairly random due to whatever spawn set you get changing things a lot, the missions where you get a lot more devastators or where it's Whoops All Bile Spewers can be rough.

I think difficulty is also way more sensitive to team comp than people realize. Like it’s really noticeable when you don’t have the dude with the anti-bile spewer tools in their kit or when you end up not having enough effective options to deal with bile titans or gunships or whatever. Bile spewers probably stand out the most here because they’re more of a “niche” than any other bug or bot spawn variation.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Did they fix the aim reticle being off-center?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Dilber posted:

Is there some sort of hidden spawn balance change over the last couple of days or are spawns bugged. I've been having some absolutely wild games recently with friends where difficulty is randomly through the roof. I was playing level 4 with some low level friends and a base had 4 hulks and 2 tanks in it. Level 5 bots has been weird where I've gotten entire bot drops of just hulks or heavy devestators.

I normally play on 7/8 for both bots and bugs and this has felt significantly harder. A couple of other friends have noticed the same thing separately, but I'm not seeing people here mention it.

Hulks & Tanks can show up as early as lvl 4, though it's uncommon. In particular, there are 2 specific 'heavy' bases that can spawn with these pre-made setups:

-lots of colony prefabs with 4 hulks patrolling
-bot fortress with 2 turrets, one tank patrolling the perimeter, one tank inside

Bots do feel more aggressive lately but RNG could have it out for you.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gorelab posted:

I actually like the diligence sometimes for bots, but the counter-sniper is just... a thing.

Yeah I just feel the JAR etc has stolen its role.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

nexus6 posted:

Nope, still a known problem listed in this morning's patch notes.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Gorelab posted:

I kinda feel like weapon balance is better than a lot of people feel, though there are a few stinkers that need legit help or just need a proper niche. Some feel like the non-shown stats are important to them, but still need some extra help. Some are just odd-ball, and get dismissed outu of hand while still being good.

Honestly the only truly weak/overshadowed guns are, IMO, the Liberator Conc, Diligence CS, and Scythe. The Blitzer probably also belongs on this list but not necessarily because it's bad, but its niche is too narrow.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I was one of the people who thought that Warbond releases didn't have any effect on the bug fixes, but LOL they just admitted in Discord that it does.

I would personally support the devs taking a month off, Operation Health style, and just cleaning up the backlog. 3 more guns (2 of which will be niche or just plain crappy) and 3 armors with the same stats as other armor isn't going to delight me the 4th time around.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I was one of the people who thought that Warbond releases didn't have any effect on the bug fixes, but LOL they just admitted in Discord that it does.

What did they say?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
New Major Order looks pretty easy, and the target planet is over half-captured already. I'm helping defend against the bug invasion of Fori Prime instead, which I hope is a useful way to spend my time.

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008

explosivo posted:

What did they say?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I would also get behind, go ahead and skip a month or something to rest and just bug fix.

Maybe toss us more ship module's with a huge grind to keep grindy folk happy. Make it a bar you have to fill up and set it to like 1,000 basic samples etc.

Toss us Difficulty 10 and 11 too please.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 16, 2024

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

nexus6 posted:

For AMR/HMG? No, but it's a listed known issue.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hm. Yeah I would definitely prefer not getting more warbonds with mostly trash weapons over fixing all the bugs with existing weapons and systems.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

finally unlocked the grenade pistol and running around with that and the eruptor is fun as gently caress

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Some of the bugs are pretty severe - the dot bug means that basically unless you're the network host flame weapons and gas are useless and do no damage. I would rather they fixed these over another warbond.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Part of the reason DMRs don't feel great, aside from damage, is that they just don't make sense. At the ranges where I'd want to use one, the better option is typically not to engage and sneak away anyway. If they made it so a group of enemies didn't know exactly where you were every time you popped one from 250m out or something, or you could get them to scatter instead of running straight for you, DMRs would be a lot more useful on a team.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

causticBeet posted:

I think difficulty is also way more sensitive to team comp than people realize. Like it’s really noticeable when you don’t have the dude with the anti-bile spewer tools in their kit or when you end up not having enough effective options to deal with bile titans or gunships or whatever. Bile spewers probably stand out the most here because they’re more of a “niche” than any other bug or bot spawn variation.
It's very noticeable vs bots when you have 3 Quasars on the team and everyone's running away from packs of Devastators/berserkers.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Part of the reason DMRs don't feel great, aside from damage, is that they just don't make sense. At the ranges where I'd want to use one, the better option is typically not to engage and sneak away anyway. If they made it so a group of enemies didn't know exactly where you were every time you popped one from 250m out or something, or you could get them to scatter instead of running straight for you, DMRs would be a lot more useful on a team.

Make the DMRs act as if the shooter has the scout perk IMO. Should be the sneaky/solo player's weapon of choice.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

explosivo posted:

Hm. Yeah I would definitely prefer not getting more warbonds with mostly trash weapons over fixing all the bugs with existing weapons and systems.

All this bitching about "trash" weapons when I find all of them fun e em if they aren't "competitive." lol yall.

It's telling to me how strong this games design is when folks will whinge and complain about how bad a gun or strat is then I'll read like five accounts of people saying how those guns/strats are their favorite.

I'm glad the devs are devs and it's critics are not.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I would personally support the devs taking a month off, Operation Health style, and just cleaning up the backlog. 3 more guns (2 of which will be niche or just plain crappy) and 3 armors with the same stats as other armor isn't going to delight me the 4th time around.

BadLlama posted:

I would also get behind, go ahead and skip a month or something to rest and just bug fix.

Maybe toss us more ship module's with a huge grind to keep grindy folk happy. Make it a bar you have to fill up and set it to like 1,000 basic samples etc.

Toss us Difficulty 10 and 11 too please.

explosivo posted:

The playerbase would certainly be amenable to a delay on warbonds, but what about Sony the publisher and/or AH's stakeholders (if they have any)?

This also isn't accounting for if the monthly warbonds are part of a contract with Sony. They may not have a choice in the matter.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Away all Goats posted:

Make the DMRs act as if the shooter has the scout perk IMO. Should be the sneaky/solo player's weapon of choice.

Oooh thats a neat idea

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

you'll probably like the next battle pass then, i assume it's going to have guns with silencers

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Gorelab posted:

I kinda feel like weapon balance is better than a lot of people feel, though there are a few stinkers that need legit help or just need a proper niche. Some feel like the non-shown stats are important to them, but still need some extra help. Some are just odd-ball, and get dismissed outu of hand while still being good.

All I can comment on is what I can see playing the game, and based one what I see the vast majority of guns and supports simply go unused. For bugs that vast majority of people run sickle or fire shotgun for primary and quasar for support. There is a little more diversity in primaries for bots, where I see scorcher, dominator, slugger, or for some reason I can't understand the sickle again. But then the quasar returns as dominant support, with only some competition from the autocannon. For grenades the vast majority use impact for bugs and bots, although I'm seeing stuns more, maybe because of the grenade gun.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Appreciate you guys confirming I'm not insane. If it is RNG, I got it rough recently. 5s have just been harder than 7s for me.

drat you Joel!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I run the Sickle against bots when I run the Autocannon because it's a great trash sweeper and flexible.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

All this bitching about "trash" weapons when I find all of them fun e em if they aren't "competitive." lol yall.

It's telling to me how strong this games design is when folks will whinge and complain about how bad a gun or strat is then I'll read like five accounts of people saying how those guns/strats are their favorite.

I'm glad the devs are devs and it's critics are not.

I'm not really bitching at all I'm just saying there are definitely weapons that have come out in premium battle passes that do not work as advertised such as the incendiary shotgun and the thermite grenade which is legitimately trash. I realize stakeholders probably want regular cadence of premium content which makes sense but it's not whinging for whinging's sake because you find them fun to use. There's absolutely room for fun, not so competitive weapons but it's okay to admit that some of the weapons are objectively worse than others or actually currently broken due to bugs that have been acknowledged by the developers of the game.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I dunno why they decided one war bond a month because frankly I'm finding it fatiguing, I wish it were slower.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

^^^ I mean, they don't expire, so you can take your sweet time to unlock them. I feel bad for the dev's though.

"Fixed an issue that resulted in different damage being dealt enemies between PC and console players."

Ooooh so will bile titans not die instantly to railguns anymore if host is console?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

ZearothK posted:

I had a dream where I played a modern version of Syndicate Wars that had stratagem call ins and now I am sad that doesn't exist.

Thanks for adding this to my list of things I didn't know I wanted, rear end in a top hat

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Janissary Hop posted:

There is a little more diversity in primaries for bots, where I see scorcher, dominator, slugger, or for some reason I can't understand the sickle again.

It’s because it’s complimentary kit. I can’t speak to other people’s loadouts but I have found the most successful missions are those where everyone has at least one tool to deal with most situations.

Sickle pairs great with the autocannon. Most shotguns do as well. When I’m rocking the AC I need a weapon that sweeps trash well and the sickle is perfect for it. I don’t need pinpoint precision to hit hulks or devastators, I have the AC for those.

My GP bot build is AC/Airstrikes/AC/Stun Grenades and Sickle with the last slot being a coin flip between 380/orbital laser depending on what everyone else brings.

For striders/tanks/hulks/berserkers and devs, I have the AC, for all the chaff I have the sickle. If the group is big enough I’ll pitch out an eagle and a stun grenade a second later and that deals with that. For big oh fucks there’s the laser/500kg.

All of this allows me to be extremely flexible on bots.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The counter sniper is actually pretty good, the biggest problem with it is there's no support weapons that pair well with it yet.

But if you like to drop with no support weapon the CS is medium pen, decent damage, and a fast bullet at huge range that fires as fast as you pull the trigger.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

hehe haha

Xanasar
Dec 27, 2006

I like to run the cs along with eats or recoilless, because gently caress that dropship in particular

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

In a team I like using the plasma punisher against bots just for the AOE stuns. It also will clear clumps of small bots easily.

Janissary Hop posted:

All I can comment on is what I can see playing the game, and based one what I see the vast majority of guns and supports simply go unused. For bugs that vast majority of people run sickle or fire shotgun for primary and quasar for support. There is a little more diversity in primaries for bots, where I see scorcher, dominator, slugger, or for some reason I can't understand the sickle again. But then the quasar returns as dominant support, with only some competition from the autocannon. For grenades the vast majority use impact for bugs and bots, although I'm seeing stuns more, maybe because of the grenade gun.

This game feels like it has a weird issue with just going with meta builds without thought. Is the quasar good? Hell yeah. Is four better than having a mix of stratagems? Not really, but pubbies tend to act like it regardless.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 16, 2024

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

thats strange that you were having difficulties with hordes, thats where this loadout excels for me. arc has endless uptime and as long as you prioritize targets and get set up with clear sight lines, you should be able to hold out indefinitely against anything lighter than chargers, tho i do get swarmed by the occasional jumping bugs which is what the dagger is for dealing with

its true that grenade launcher would be better at clearing groups, but it will run out of ammo quickly, and the eruptor has a surprisingly large aoe and does similar work as a grenade launcher for stuff thats outside of arc range. Stun grenades can also be used to give yourself some more breathing room

i do use eagle napalms religiously on bug breaches. That does help a ton with thinning sudden hordes. I also have the arc upgrade that lets it jump to an additional target, but i was using this loadout before that upgrade and still doing fine

it can be an awkward loadout since nearly all your weapons require proper positioning to not have them backfire. If you get ambushed or caught in a chaotic scramble with your teammates running around in arc range, then ya that will not end well

Yes all good points. The arc gun has infinite ammo while the GL requires ammo with a tradeoff of being able to just layer an entire swath of area with damage. Also I was able to kill a charger with the arc gun alone which is probably not possible with a GL without emptying your entire load of grenades.

Besides that, I think if you do die and you get reinforced into a huge swarm area its very hard to fight out of it without completely running away, and even then you might not get enough distance if more swarms are coming into the area. The eruptor doesn't work as great if you're being swarmed by constantly having jumping hunters vs the shotgun/flame shotgun. Kinda wish you can primary the arc lighter and have eruptor be the secondary.

Might just be a skill issue. I'm still running this build and trying to figure out what the last strategem should be. That's the fun of this game is that picking things always has a tradeoff.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Everyone is poo poo talking the counter sniper but if we're talking about bad guns I don't think anyone remembers the concussive liberator even exists.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jack B Nimble posted:

I dunno why they decided one war bond a month because frankly I'm finding it fatiguing, I wish it were slower.

Same. Though I think if they dropped it to 1 warbond/2 months once the game cools down, that would be a good idea to preserve their sanity and not fatigue the playerbase.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Sickle is great if you bring a strong support weapon with low ammo, like the Recoilless or the Spear, since it is a gun with infinite ammo that covers the low- and medium-value targets that your support does not.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Laser dog handles the lil guys, my primary handles the medium guys, my support weapon handles the big guys. This is the way of things.

Also EATs are not support weapons, they are stratagems that you should always call down on cooldown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

SMG pairs better with the autocannon since you can run away while shooting the stuff that closed too close to you so you can find new cover to reload the big boi to start blasting again.