Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Automata 10 Pack posted:

so what happens if you just don't pay your student loan anyways

Here’s what can happen if you don’t pay federal student loans:

If your payment is late by at least one day, your loan becomes delinquent. Your loan account remains delinquent until you repay the past-due amount or make other arrangements, such as deferment, forbearance or changing repayment plans.

Once 30 days have passed since your first missed monthly payment, you may face late fees of up to six cents for each dollar of each late payment.

After 90 days, your federal student loan servicer will begin reporting the delinquency to the major national credit reporting agencies — Equifax, TransUnion and Experian. That can knock a lot of points off your credit score — and the higher your initial credit score, the larger this point deduction will be.

After 270 days of missed payments, most federal student loans enter default.

Consequences of federal student loan default:

Entire unpaid balance, including accrued interest, becomes due immediately.

Lose access to temporary payment deferments if you lose your job or face other financial hardships.

Lose access to income-driven repayment plans, which can lower payments to as little as $0 per month based on your income.

Lose any credits toward Public Service Loan Forgiveness.

Can’t receive additional federal student aid if you want to go back to school in the future.

Wages, Social Security benefits and tax refunds may be garnished or withheld.

Lower credit score, which impacts your ability to buy a house or car, rent an apartment, take out future loans or get approved for a credit card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Automata 10 Pack posted:

lol it's fun reading the explainer because it points out how hosed the program is anyways and this is just a few bandaids on the whole process. reduced unpaid interest on borrowers who owe in interested than what they borrowed and a "relief" program for those who have had debt for decades.

things that needed to be done with the interest rate hikes

yeah its basically a much worse version than the original one that got struck down

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

idk if it will or not. I mean I didn't think anyone young would vote for him in 2020 and i was wrong then. people are pissed off about Gaza and everything else but idk if enough of them are "over" the two party system to say gently caress it and stay home. we'll see I guess!

Zoomers seem to be realizing - decades before I did, because I was King Lib in my early 20s - that the entire system is an unrepresentative, corrupt joke. But they may still be idealistic enough to think that the system can be reformed.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

sullat posted:

Your boss makes far more money than you do and now has to pay taxes on it. He's flexing on you when he complains like this.

Nah he’s a nice guy humble bragging ain’t really his style, besides it’s gov contractor work so I ballpark know his pay grade anyways. Not that it matters, cause it’s already taxed by payroll which is why it’s weird it keeps coming out that he owes. Whether you make 50 or 500 grand from a w-2 they should just be taxing it accordingly and it’s a wash.

A few years ago a bunch of coworkers at my previous job ran into that too, and the theory was always that it was how much overtime pay we got but afaik that should generally just get you a larger return as most payroll taxes look at your paycheck per period, calculate what that would translate to in an annual basis, then tax you accordingly. Also it again didn’t happen to me but my tax situation has always been p simple.

I dunno it just seems like there’s been an uptick of people complaining about owing a ton these last few seasons both IRL and on these forums so I was wondering if something happened between the Trump and Biden admins that hosed up people’s witholdings and they simply never updated their W-4 or what.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've never qualified for those loan forgiveness programs and probably never will because I haven't made payments. Oh well!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
i laugh every time i see this picture

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Joementum posted:

Motherfucker has the reading habits of a 7th grader

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
that's like, the first goddamn page of that book. might not even be turned past the copyright page

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I've never qualified for those loan forgiveness programs and probably never will because I haven't made payments. Oh well!

doesn't make any loving sense. the people who make the payments need loan forgiveness the least!!!

it's like how rich people get free poo poo just so they'll be seen using it, everything is loving backwards in this world!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Automata 10 Pack posted:

so what happens if you just don't pay your student loan anyways

The come and repossess your degree

But seriously it’s the federal government so eventually they’ll start garnishing your wages and holding your tax refund and poo poo like that

There are also a handful of hell states that will cancel professional degrees and even take your drivers license

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

my favorite thing in the whole world is overdraft fees :allears:

"You don't have any money? Well that's going to cost you money, bucko!"

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

30.5 Days posted:

i'm fuckin tired of community notes that are just just replies. if you want to shove your stupid words in my face pay your $8 like the rest of the shitheads

"community nites" is the twitter feature that lets paying users shove their words in your face

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Zoomers seem to be realizing - decades before I did, because I was King Lib in my early 20s - that the entire system is an unrepresentative, corrupt joke. But they may still be idealistic enough to think that the system can be reformed.

as we know there is know way to 100% be sure until voting day. The dems running on trump in 2020 and 2022 was enough. Do they have enough gas in the tank for 2024? Are Biden's and Harris's almost ritual proclamations of possible future action enough to guarantee enough of their coalition to show up to the polls?

I am not going to underestimate the dislike the electorate has cultivated for Trump nor the very effective program of "lesser of two evils" and "vote blue no matter who"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Joementum posted:

lmao this is all stuff i read to appear brainy in middle school

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

one of those is even a comic book!!!!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Al! posted:

one of those is even a comic book!!!!

it's a GRAPHIC NOVEL, MOM

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

HashtagGirlboss posted:

The come and repossess your degree

But seriously it’s the federal government so eventually they’ll start garnishing your wages and holding your tax refund and poo poo like that

There are also a handful of hell states that will cancel professional degrees and even take your drivers license

okay, but is there's an amount I can pay in student loan debt that prevents all that nastiness but doesn't pay off the interest? can you just do that and die with a billion dollars in student loan debt with no repercussions?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Are those the books that Ron DeSactamonious wanted to ban in florida so he's trying to epically own him?

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Automata 10 Pack posted:

okay, but is there's an amount I can pay in student loan debt that prevents all that nastiness but doesn't pay off the interest? can you just do that and die with a billion dollars in student loan debt with no repercussions?

Yeah there's a whole lot of people who are on the "pay the minimum until I die" plan

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the picture seems funny but those are absolutely books you could plow through in an afternoon, which is why theyre usually assigned as childrens reading

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

is pepsi ok posted:

Yeah there's a whole lot of people who are on the "pay the minimum until I die" plan

There is an Obama era law that cancels your balance after you make payments for 20 years but that hasn't actually happened for anyone yet so who knows if it actually will by that time.......

mcmagic has issued a correction as of 16:37 on Apr 16, 2024

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

PoundSand posted:

Nah he’s a nice guy humble bragging ain’t really his style, besides it’s gov contractor work so I ballpark know his pay grade anyways. Not that it matters, cause it’s already taxed by payroll which is why it’s weird it keeps coming out that he owes. Whether you make 50 or 500 grand from a w-2 they should just be taxing it accordingly and it’s a wash.

A few years ago a bunch of coworkers at my previous job ran into that too, and the theory was always that it was how much overtime pay we got but afaik that should generally just get you a larger return as most payroll taxes look at your paycheck per period, calculate what that would translate to in an annual basis, then tax you accordingly. Also it again didn’t happen to me but my tax situation has always been p simple.

I dunno it just seems like there’s been an uptick of people complaining about owing a ton these last few seasons both IRL and on these forums so I was wondering if something happened between the Trump and Biden admins that hosed up people’s witholdings and they simply never updated their W-4 or what.

Yeah if all your income is coming from a single employer and you haven’t hosed up your poo poo like the coworker I had who somehow as claiming head of household instead of single then you really shouldn’t have a surprise tax bill unless your HR is hosed

It’s usually that they have income from other sources and don’t realize they need to be accounting for that starting at whatever bracket they top out in at their main income source and not starting from zero like it’s a completely independent thing

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

is pepsi ok posted:

It's like a subscription service for living your life hassle-free without being hassled for that debt specifically!

Another option is to try flying under the radar and just get ignored somehow

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Are those the books that Ron DeSactamonious wanted to ban in florida so he's trying to epically own him?

idk if it's ron related or moms for liberty or what but yeah it was definitely a book ban thing

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mcmagic posted:

correct

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Automata 10 Pack posted:

For the second part, yes, student loan debt is pretty unique in that there’s a death discharge. Most debt gets collected against whatever estate you leave (if you leave one, big loving if) but student debt evaporates when you die, because it’s fake debt

First part, also yes as long as you’re on an income based repayment plan rather than a ten year repayment plan, which most people should be, but there are edge cases

Obviously private loans are completely different and these answers don’t apply

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That death forgiveness program is what's up. Foolproof :discourse:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

DeSantis recently passed a law that bans any laws requiring that companies provide heat protection or breaks for their workers. We are absolutely going to have a mass casualties when we start getting wet bulb events.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/MikenzieFrost/status/1780180110387134742

The Dems are so beyond hosed in the Senate.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

One thing I enjoyed about the live action Beauty And The Beat was how so much of it was filmed with a selflie camera, really made you feel like you were right there at that pool party with Justin Bieber

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
I'm trying to figure out what book that yellow one is, above Maus and starting with a G. The closest match I can find is Grown by Tiffany Jackson. There's not many books on the Florida challenge lists that start with G and have recent editions with yellow covers, but the piece of the cover art we can see doesn't match the cover art for Grown I'm seeing in image searches.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SixteenShells posted:

I'm trying to figure out what book that yellow one is, above Maus and starting with a G. The closest match I can find is Grown by Tiffany Jackson. There's not many books on the Florida challenge lists that start with G and have recent editions with yellow covers, but the piece of the cover art we can see doesn't match the cover art for Grown I'm seeing in image searches.

it’s Gender Queer, newish comic book about gender that immediately became one of the most challenged books in the country

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Nevermind, figured it out. https://portside.org/2022-09-21/how-debut-graphic-memoir-became-most-banned-book-country

edit: beaten by Boogeyman. Thanks!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Joementum posted:

:)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Whenever I read a book I lean on my 5 next books which are at the ready so I don't have to waste time going to the bookshelf every 10 hours

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Whenever I read a book

big if true

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Joementum posted:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010