Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Leggette at 18 sure is somethin, I'll give ya that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I decided this year to be a man of convictions and rate people how I want to instead of copying draftniks which will just result me in having Jalin Hyatt #1 again but with a different name

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Xavier Leggette is fun as hell. I don't think that is much of a reach. I can see how he got there, even if I dont agree. I still agree about Hyatt.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Doltos posted:

I decided this year to be a man of convictions and rate people how I want to instead of copying draftniks which will just result me in having Jalin Hyatt #1 again but with a different name

I like what you've done with the top 4 edge rushers. There's just no way to know which of them is going to produce with NFL coaching against NFL talent.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

kiimo posted:

Leggette at 18 sure is somethin, I'll give ya that

I absolutely love it. Legette, Wiggins and Wright getting big time love is fantastic. I like when the consensus is opposed, given how so much of the media shows so little deviation. You can tell they be copying each others' work

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Anyways, I'm gonna look ahead one year and say this:

Luther Burden is gonna be a dawg.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Getting mad at an unfinished spreadsheet for confusing Ray Davis of Kentucky for being from Kansas. (Devin Neal gonna destroy next year.)

Seeing all the notes about wide receivers making me hype for the draft, and that's probably not even what the Titans will draft, just one of the better classes of those guys I've seen in awhile.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Anyways, I'm gonna look ahead one year and say this:

Luther Burden is gonna be a dawg.

The guy from next year's class that really stood out watching this year's film was Mason Graham, which isn't exactly breaking news but jesus Christ.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I know this thread is low on Xavier Worthy, but he might be the most fun receiver in this class. Just finished scouting him and that dude fucks.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
One of the most important mock drafts dropped.

https://twitter.com/PSchrags/status/1780218751683612971?t=D-homEDhHkHRWkKwLn1LuQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/PSchrags/status/1780224545820975161?t=PlVOaU6_8xKlOG2g7HBlGQ&s=19

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Doltos posted:

You disparaged Hyatt last year and said he had bad hands with drops. I then went play-by-play, and posted the timestamps, for the game you said he had bad drops and disproved your foolish notion. In fact he has good hands.

Hyatt is my fast and handsome son, you will not disparage him in the past then try and claim his love in the present.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Sataere posted:

I know this thread is low on Xavier Worthy, but he might be the most fun receiver in this class. Just finished scouting him and that dude fucks.

He’s exactly the type of player where I’m not happy if the teams drafts him in the second but I’m ecstatic if the team drafts him in the fourth.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

I would absolutely hate this for the Bears lol

I've even been bracing for "They pass on a WR to trade down" as a potential outcome and have mostly made peace with it as a possibility, but passing on Nabers specifically and doing it for a future second-rounder + the right to draft the fourth tackle off the board (who didn't play the position we'd be slotting him in at in college)...it'd be a lot to swallow

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

xbilkis posted:

I would absolutely hate this for the Bears lol

I've even been bracing for "They pass on a WR to trade down" as a potential outcome and have mostly made peace with it as a possibility, but passing on Nabers specifically and doing it for a future second-rounder + the right to draft the fourth tackle off the board (who didn't play the position we'd be slotting him in at in college)...it'd be a lot to swallow

Yeah, it's awful. The bears don't even need a LT that badly, let alone need to draft a RT to play there.

I've found a few sites that compile a ton of mock drafts and the #9 is the one pick where there's just no consensus whatsoever.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Bears are interesting because WR isn't a strict need with Moore and Keenan Allen, although Allen is only on a 1 year deal. They desperately need another DE opposite Montez Sweat.

Seems like a trade down candidate.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ornery and Hornery posted:

You disparaged Hyatt last year and said he had bad hands with drops. I then went play-by-play, and posted the timestamps, for the game you said he had bad drops and disproved your foolish notion. In fact he has good hands.

Hyatt is my fast and handsome son, you will not disparage him in the past then try and claim his love in the present.

I like that not only were you wrong about that and dismissing obvious drops but he had like 10 drops last year with the Giants. I still liked him at #1 for his speed and body control despite the hands.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16iNzH-jSmheg0_TeD2Owe4ynV2yzvDJX8N8a6rE0-RA/edit?usp=sharing

I mean I keep documents on this for a reason, I had him at #1.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 16, 2024

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I would trade up for MHJ
Barring that I would take Odunze or Alt at 9

Barring that I would trade back to try and get another second this year. And shoot for Murphy. And get a receiver in the second.

I don't like the edges this year outside of Turner and I question Turner's fit in this defense(can he play like 10-15 pounds heavier?).

Verse, I don't trust olds who had to win through just power, and have no like bend against college players.

Latu, I don't trust dudes with major neck injuries who play in the trenches. Good player tho.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

If odunze somehow made it to 9 and the bears don't draft him then lmao they are doomed to fail.

Caleb Williams throwing to odunze, dj Moore, and Allen makes them an instant 10 top offense

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
OK apparently Schrager recorded a podcast yesterday where he originally had Quinyon Mitchell slotted in as the Bears pick at 15 after passing on Nabers to trade down, so I can rest comfortably knowing he has zero intel on what the Bears are actually planning

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

xbilkis posted:

OK apparently Schrager recorded a podcast yesterday where he originally had Quinyon Mitchell slotted in as the Bears pick at 15 after passing on Nabers to trade down, so I can rest comfortably knowing he has zero intel on what the Bears are actually planning

Lmao. It's not like they're a small market team that's never in the news

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If the Vikings take Bo Nix I'm gonna melt down

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Stop drafting Bo Nix ahead of Penix, what happened to this country?!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Diva Cupcake posted:

The Bears are interesting because WR isn't a strict need with Moore and Keenan Allen, although Allen is only on a 1 year deal. They desperately need another DE opposite Montez Sweat.

Seems like a trade down candidate.

WR is an enormous need for the Bears. As you noted they have Moore and a 1-year deal for an old Keenan Allen.

Even if we assume they keep Allen for several more years and somehow Allen is productive for those years (an extremely unlikely event), they still desperately need a third WR.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

IcePhoenix posted:

This should be true of any fan of any team until the third round.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dexo posted:

I would trade up for MHJ
Barring that I would take Odunze or Alt at 9

Barring that I would trade back to try and get another second this year. And shoot for Murphy. And get a receiver in the second.

My friend I agree. It’s so weird seeing some podcasters talk about the bears drafting one of the edges at nine over prospects like Odunze.

There’s a decent chance at least one elite WR or LT prospect is available at nine for the bears. I’d much rather take that than one of the “meh” edge prospects just because of perceived need.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Stop drafting Bo Nix ahead of Penix, what happened to this country?!

The idea of Bo Nix going in the first round makes me wonder if these people watch football

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's not an enormous need, but it is a need.

I think the Bears pass catchers would probably be better once they have a better passing QB throwing the ball.

I like what I saw from Scott as a rookie on tape, I would take one of the 3 but other than that I'm not moved by getting like WR 4 vs getting like WR 8-9 or whatever.

Keenan Allen as the slot option with Moore as the Main option and Scott to take the top off the defense is a workable top 3 assuming Scott shows any improvement from last year.

I would like at least one more in the draft at some point, but I wouldn't call it an enormous need.

Bears don't really have an enormous need just like 3-4 spots they could probably stand to upgrade or add depth.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Sataere posted:

The idea of Bo Nix going in the first round makes me wonder if these people watch football

It might be more for the 5th year option than anything else.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bo Nix is not someone who I would bother trading up or otherwise aiming for the 5th year option.

That man is 50 years old. you will know if he's going to work out at the NFL level fairly quick.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Dexo posted:

Bo Nix is not someone who I would bother trading up or otherwise aiming for the 5th year option.

That man is 50 years old. you will know if he's going to work out at the NFL level fairly quick.

I'm not buying your draft smokescreens. :smuggo:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dexo posted:

I think the Bears pass catchers would probably be better once they have a better passing QB throwing the ball.

I like what I saw from Scott as a rookie on tape, I would take one of the 3 but other than that I'm not moved by getting like WR 4 vs getting like WR 8-9 or whatever.

Keenan Allen as the slot option with Moore as the Main option and Scott to take the top off the defense is a workable top 3 assuming Scott shows any improvement from last year.

I would like at least one more in the draft at some point, but I wouldn't call it an enormous need.

Bears don't really have an enormous need just like 3-4 spots they could probably stand to upgrade or add depth.

I agree with you that the WR will look a better with a good qb throwing to them.

I still think WR is a significant need because the plausible best case scenario for the existing bears WR corp in 2024 is “solidly workable”. Then, in 2025, Allen will likely be gone or bad, and they are right back to where they started.

If we assume you’re right that the Bears have no enormous needs and just have 3-4 spots to upgrade; then that’s even more reason to take Odunze over one of the edges. Odunze is BPA over any of the edges prospects.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

And next years edge class is significantly better by all accounts. I'd rather they take Murphy than any edge, but really I think receiver is a bigger long term need than it first appears.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Coincidentally, there was an article in the athletic today about draft strategy, human biases, and the undervalued approach of trading down and acquiring future picks.

Thought it was pretty interesting.

quote:

Richard Thaler, an economics professor at the University of Chicago who would win a Nobel Prize in 2017, and Cade Massey, a business professor then at Duke University.

Their hypothesis?

Teams overestimate their abilities to delineate between stars and flops, and because of that they overvalue the “right to choose” in the draft.

And what were the findings after examining every draft pick and trade from 1988 to 2004?

Teams massively overestimate their abilities to delineate between stars and flops, and because of that they heavily overvalue the “right to choose” in the draft.

Meers combed through the paper and uncovered some highlights:

- The treasured No. 1 pick in the draft is actually the least valuable in the first round, according to the surplus value a team can create with each pick.

- Across all rounds, the probability that a player starts more games than the next player chosen at his position is just 53 percent.

- Teams generated a 174 percent return on trades by forgoing a pick this year for picks next year.

Thaler and Massey suggested that teams should accumulate picks by trading back and into the future more often. The more darts you have, the better your chance of eventually hitting the bull’s-eye.

quote:

“People outside the draft rooms only know about 55 percent of what goes into making up the grade,” Polian said recently. “They do not know the personality, the security issues, the medical issues. And they shouldn’t.”

But if teams have all of this inside information, why do they still miss so often?

More than a decade ago, one NFL team commissioned a study into whether certain GMs were better than others at the draft. Though some posted better track records than others, specifically Baltimore’s Ozzie Newsome, the answer was mostly not.

This is not to say all of the league’s top personnel people are poor evaluators. In fact, there is a line of thinking that the smaller the variation in skill among competitors, the more ripe the situation is for randomness to sway the results.

Many executives and scouts, believers in their own methods of evaluation, would disagree vehemently.

The idea of trading down, in particular, consistently repulsed Polian. “I firmly do not believe you trade a high pick, which is going to be a difference-maker, in order to pick up two picks,” he said.

But that’s the issue, one former NFL executive pointed out. That logic assumes the player you’re initially picking will actually become a difference-maker.

“The problem for everyone in sports is that nobody wants to admit how random and arbitrary it is,” the former executive said. “Admitting that it’s arbitrary takes away from your specific abilities.”

Even true believers in trading down don’t hold to the dogma 100 percent of the time. Meers, who became the Browns’ director of research and strategy in 2016, said that exceptions are worth making at the quarterback position and if your team needs a star

quote:

A general manager might be more focused on his job security over the long-term direction of the organization. A head coach may believe unreasonably in his own ability to mold a player. Coordinators and position coaches want to add talent to their groups, while scouts may quite literally pound the table for the players they unearthed during the pre-draft process.

“Everybody is spitting falsehoods about how good they think a player is because they want one more bullet in the chamber for themselves,” one longtime executive from another professional league said. “That’s reasonable and rational, that they would behave in their own self-interest, but you have to find a way to discount it as a GM.

“Is the coach in this situation 20 percent crazy? Is the offensive coordinator 40 percent crazy? Is the linebackers coach 60 percent crazy? Because they might be. They’re thinking in a way humans would think.”

The former NFL executive suggested the inherent irrationality drove him “a little crazy.”

“When you grow up, you think these teams are so good, and they’re all trying to pedal in the same direction and win,” he added. “And when you’re there, you realize that very few are really doing that. Everyone is just looking out for themselves.”

Public pressure may prevent some teams from enacting the newer approach. Make seven picks, and you’ll be judged seven times. Make three trades and 10 picks, and you’ll be judged 13 times. Watch other teams nail picks you traded — or miss on picks you traded for — and negative narratives can quickly form.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I haven't seen Bo Nix mocked to anyone in the first round other than Denver for months

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Play posted:

Coincidentally, there was an article in the athletic today about draft strategy, human biases, and the undervalued approach of trading down and acquiring future picks.

Thought it was pretty interesting.

It is interesting. Kind of explains why Belichek and Ozzie Newsome were the primary guys consistently trading down - they were the only GMs with enough job security to do it consistently and risk the heat.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Dexo posted:

the bears really need a top-tier DE and the draft has none I'd be happy taking at 9

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

The Vikings watching the NFCN become the most competitive it's been in decades and going "actually we just are fine with Sam Darnold plus a lottery ticket" would be incredible content. You know, for non Vikings fans.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

predicto posted:

It is interesting. Kind of explains why Belichek and Ozzie Newsome were the primary guys consistently trading down - they were the only GMs with enough job security to do it consistently and risk the heat.

Yeah, that makes sense. I would be extremely curious for someone to do the same analysis from the paper mentioned, but for 2004 - 2024. And see if there is any change in the numbers.

The figure that jumped out to me the most is:

quote:

- Across all rounds, the probability that a player starts more games than the next player chosen at his position is just 53 percent.

Not that starting more games is the end all be all of determining talent, but I mean that is insane. It's basically a coin flip. How are they still so bad at this?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

Every 4-5 days either someone posts a "the Patriots would want three firsts + a 2nd + Justin Jefferson to get to 3" take in the Vikings subreddit, or someone posts a "Vikings looking to move up with 11 + 23" in the Patriots subreddit and the fanbases snipe at each other for a while

Basically it seems like they're desperate to not take Bo Nix, but it's not looking like there's any takers to get up to 2-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Play posted:

Not that starting more games is the end all be all of determining talent, but I mean that is insane. It's basically a coin flip. How are they still so bad at this?

We're all bad at this though. Because it's hard. You'll never account for all the variables that determine NFL success. Even if you're really, really good at scouting you're hitting at what high 50's, low 60's percentage? That's when you get to look at everybody. When you have 8 picks with a whole bunch of additional factors that we don't need to consider when doing ranking like needs, scheme, culture fit, whatever. It's gonna be lower.

It's part of the reason I'm not a huge fan of drafting the BPA. Odds you've correctly identified the best pick available are real low. Take needs for now and the immediate future. Draft multiple of them.