Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Update just came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Who's the guy with the cowboy hat taking up much of the patch screen art?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hammer Bro. posted:

Who's the guy with the cowboy hat taking up much of the patch screen art?

oko

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Oko or Kellan

Nice they added a clear visual reminder that reach exists.

Oh god this set has so many reach creatures.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
update: i still hate outlaws' merriment

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Starting with Sealed as usual

https://sealeddeck.tech/NKf3vCGRwV

White is a given, I have a huge amount of amazing removal and some solid creature stock too. With the double excellent Boros rare, I'm into pairing it with R, and that gives me a bunch of solid two-drops as well as cheap removal. The real question is, what's the (necessary) third color? B adds the most power (Gisa, more removal), but it's all double-pipped. I do have two duals at least, but it seems like I'd just be praying for the mana to align most of the time. The other cards I gain from adding B are two-drops (not a good splash) and some buildaround stuff I don't think I have the support for (BW signposts).

Instead, I'm leaning towards G: all cards I'm interested in are splashed with a single pip, all are top end, sadly no duals but I got two search-fixers if necessary. So here's the build:

Happy for suggestions!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

One draft down, one 1/3. Didn't draw the opening rare (the one that makes meteorites) and got the big rhino that adds tokens to all future creatures nuked three times. Still learning the set.

Second one is looking... OK? IDK. Reanimate plus Lively Dirge.

Now i notice, I'm starting the set in plat on draft which is... A chioice.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

thespaceinvader posted:

Oko or Kellan

Oh god this set has so many reach creatures.

This. All one-way interactions probably need a reminder (similar to ward, hexproof, and shroud).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

This. All one-way interactions probably need a reminder (similar to ward, hexproof, and shroud).

Most of them do - Reach was the big one that was omitted for a while hence several youtubers and the hidden reach meme.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

First draft: 7 mana draw 4 is still good enough lol.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

thespaceinvader posted:

Most of them do - Reach was the big one that was omitted for a while hence several youtubers and the hidden reach meme.

didnt it have the crossbow or whatever in the corner?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I cant edit the sideboards of my decks with the update lol

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Time posted:

didnt it have the crossbow or whatever in the corner?

if it had reach and any other ability it just had 3 dots in the corner

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Currently 3-2 in my first OTJ draft, playing GB. Prairie dogs seems great, the UR deck with lots of instant speed stuff and Geyser Drake looks cool too. Skulduggery has been better than it looks for me so far.

e: Ended 3-3 :(

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 16, 2024

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Booooooo! People not reading cards and sending flyers into my spiders is one of the highlights of this game for me.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

A Moose posted:

if it had reach and any other ability it just had 3 dots in the corner

i have three distinct thoughts here:

1. I'm glad they made a change thats helpful for people. i mean this so remember it for points 2 and 3.

2. that seems like a big clue to read the cards

3. it only seems like an issue early in limited formats when you dont automatically remember what every card does

unrelated. wizards. please. let me edit the sideboards of saved decks i cant even see whats in them at the moment. I guess this is my cue to draft right now

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Time posted:

i have three distinct thoughts here:

1. I'm glad they made a change thats helpful for people. i mean this so remember it for points 2 and 3.

2. that seems like a big clue to read the cards

3. it only seems like an issue early in limited formats when you dont automatically remember what every card does

unrelated. wizards. please. let me edit the sideboards of saved decks i cant even see whats in them at the moment. I guess this is my cue to draft right now

Yeah, and when you're used to playing the same 4 decks in standard and then someone does something weird and you forget.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The new reach reminder seems a little comically large but I guess it's fine. Although I agree that people running flyers into spiders is both funny and a reminder to read what your opponents' cards do.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Also the mastery pass for this set goes up to 110 and there are actually some gems, gold and boosters part 80. Is it an unusually long time until the next set release?

e: Looks like they've split the usual 400 gems and 1000 gold reward points over a longer period. I haven't checked but I guess that means you don't actually get any more than in a normal set?

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 16, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I didn't even get to the third pet on the last track and didn't finish the one before it. They're not worth anything at all unless you naturally want to play 30+ matches every week.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Time posted:

I would guess that a huge majority of people only draft within the first few days of a set to try it out. There's a substantial subset of grinders ofc, but this thread definitely selects for them, and even amongst goons less and less people play the set. So for many, "early" is the only time they play limited and that means they will massively profit from this

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I went 7-0 with this Sealed deck and none of the games felt close. I think Dance of the Tumbleweeds is a great common - it's at least a 5-mana 5/5, and usually a 6-mana 7/7 that ramps. With early powerful creatures and Shackle Slinger, I made a ton of power early and tapped my opponent's biggest blockers for the win.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Khanstant posted:

I didn't even get to the third pet on the last track and didn't finish the one before it. They're not worth anything at all unless you naturally want to play 30+ matches every week.

Yeah, you need to do your daily quests and get your 15 wins a week. That gets you everything plus. I think I had 20 levels over max this last one.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Simply Simon posted:

I would guess that a huge majority of people only draft within the first few days of a set to try it out. There's a substantial subset of grinders ofc, but this thread definitely selects for them, and even amongst goons less and less people play the set. So for many, "early" is the only time they play limited and that means they will massively profit from this

these people are still going to lose the same games but will feel better about it. its a good change.

but also lol at people who dont read cards and get tilted

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Rap Game Goku posted:

Yeah, you need to do your daily quests and get your 15 wins a week. That gets you everything plus. I think I had 20 levels over max this last one.

I never buy the battle pass until I'm sure that I'm going to max it out. So usually about a week before the next one comes out.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

Also the mastery pass for this set goes up to 110 and there are actually some gems, gold and boosters part 80. Is it an unusually long time until the next set release?

e: Looks like they've split the usual 400 gems and 1000 gold reward points over a longer period. I haven't checked but I guess that means you don't actually get any more than in a normal set?

it's a longer set than normal they make the pass longer to account for that.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
What the goddamn hell is Oko doing in the bonus sheet; what an awful feeling to run into lol

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think it's 99% people who go "I don't need to read that card because I already know what it does" when it turns out they ALMOST know what it does. Like if Questing Beast had reach it would get people all the time.

Or like we had 3 versions of Vorinclex at around the same time. Voice of Hunger wasn't legal in Standard at the same time, but it was in draft in ONE and MOM. All 3 have trample and that's normal for a big green legendary so we expect it., and "secret haste" isn't a thing so nobody gets got by something having haste, but then the newest one having reach tended to throw people because why does it have reach anyway?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

A Moose posted:

I think it's 99% people who go "I don't need to read that card because I already know what it does" when it turns out they ALMOST know what it does. Like if Questing Beast had reach it would get people all the time.

Or like we had 3 versions of Vorinclex at around the same time. Voice of Hunger wasn't legal in Standard at the same time, but it was in draft in ONE and MOM. All 3 have trample and that's normal for a big green legendary so we expect it., and "secret haste" isn't a thing so nobody gets got by something having haste, but then the newest one having reach tended to throw people because why does it have reach anyway?

because he's tall

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lone Goat posted:

because he's tall

honestly cant believe the big eldrazi dont have reach. bad flavor imo

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

You’re also getting a playset of each of the 4 commanders from the commander precons (assuming you get that far in). So that’s nice, don’t remember if they’ve ever given away actual cards in the mastery pass that weren’t the random mythics.

I believe this mastery lasts substantially longer than the last one and that the gem/gold rewards are the same, just in smaller increments, that’s correct.

Born in Bexhill fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 16, 2024

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

15 weekly wins and your daily quest will get you well over the 110 ranks in time. Don't forget that wizards will usually do some promos/events/apologies for fuckups that will yield some additional exp as well.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Haven't trophied in a while, so this felt really good

Turns out hasty big creatures does work!

But seriously, there's a lot of big loving creatures in this set, goddamn.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Horace Kinch posted:

15 weekly wins and your daily quest will get you well over the 110 ranks in time. Don't forget that wizards will usually do some promos/events/apologies for fuckups that will yield some additional exp as well.

Yeah, but you still have to do all the quests pretty rigorously. I don't want to have to think about how I'm going to do my quests if I'm on vacation or sick or something. I also sometimes get obsessed with other games and take breaks from Arena for a week or 2.

The battle pass feels too much like a chore that I *have* to do rather than a game I play for fun.

As for the current battle pass, I'm not really digging the cowboy theme. I want wizards, witches and dragons in my Magic. Not gunslingers. Or detectives that solve murders, for that matter. So I'm not that sad if I miss out on the BP rewards this expansion.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

...phrase emotes are back? man oh man

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gotta say, as much as I want them to add a chatbox, can't help but nod to the gross monetization of basic communication.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This is my sealed attempt lol, I am going into this set super cold

https://sealeddeck.tech/081G0E7nGG

I thought about splashing white for the gold cards but those actually seem pretty wonky, the removal aura seems like the best addition but I have plenty of other removal as it stands.... seems like ramp stompy is the best plan with this pool?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Aaargh I got Oko'd again! I'm in hell

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I have a feeling I'm never going to top this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
opening packs and cracked a bonus sheet reanimate... and it says its not banned in Historic Brawl, just Historic and Trad Historic

that seems an unbelievably bad idea and holy gently caress