Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
If possible you also want some way to generate large amounts of tarots, either through jokers or purple seals. Not only do they let you fix your deck early, but they're another source of income through Hermit, Temperance, Devil and Magician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

How have I not found Stone Joker and Glass Joker yet

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I don't know the exact number but some amount of your deck needs to be stone/glass cards to come across those. Glass Joker was the final one in my collection (besides vouchers)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Color Printer posted:

How have I not found Glass Joker yet

Same. I think you need 5 glass jokers in your deck first?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Not unlock, find. I guess I better start taking uncommon tags

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Color Printer posted:

Even if you have it unlocked, it will never show up in a run unless you have at least one glass card in your deck.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Color Printer posted:

I didn't say unlock

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
All the jokers that care about enhanced cards require you to have those cards in ya deck already. Lucky Cat, Steel Joker, and such won't show up in the store til you do.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Dang y'all rock. I'm currently trying to hit the 100M hand unlock, and it's a beast. It seems hard to hit the right mix of requirements: red seal, steel, death, DNA, Baron, mime...I know it's RNG, but even with the Wisdom, execution is lacking.

Keep in mind that if you're only going for 100M you don't need everything. My 100M was just an early DNA, then digging through standard and spectral packs until I found a red seal, then digging through tarot until I made it steel. From there I just made absolutely sure to duplicate it every round and before too long I had hands full of Red Steel Jacks.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Oh, I didn't know that.

My point still stands though for at least stone joker, I've had plenty of runs with stone cards

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The glass joker should have a chance to break

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

If I could bottle the catharsis I just got from beating the Amber acorn without any concern, because my Jokers gave me x15.5 multiplier no matter what order they were in, I would make a lot of money off that bottle

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

After watching some Northern Lion videos on YouTube, I'm pulling back from my prejudice against arcana cards. Sure I knew you could do some broken poo poo with them but I never made them a priority. After getting The Midas mask though, as well as the eight ball, I started opening up every booster pack on the off chance I would get the vampire and lo and behold It happened.

Consider me taro pilled

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I think generally the Balatro learning curve focus goes
planet cards,
+ mult,
X mult,
chips are useful actually,
all flushes,
planet card high card build,
broken red seal tarot insanity

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Aipsh posted:

planet cards,
+ mult,
X mult,
all flushes,

Yeah I think you nailed it. I embarrassingly did not understand the difference between + and X multiplier when I started playing, so I would see something like the baseball card and think "1.5? That's loving trash why would you ever get that"

I'd like to imagine I'm at the bolded right now, because I'm in endless mode with burnt Joker and the order just pumping straights into oblivion.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Help me understand the Obelisk joker...

I level it up by playing anything besides my "most played" hand. But, it considers multiple hands to be "most played" if they are tied for #1. Doesn't this mean every hand I play will eventually be tied for "most played" and stop my Obelisk's progression?

edit: I guess the alternative would allow you to alternate two hands and increase it forever which would break the game

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

smoobles posted:

I level it up by playing anything besides my "most played" hand. But, it considers multiple hands to be "most played" if they are tied for #1. Doesn't this mean every hand I play will eventually be tied for "most played" and stop my Obelisk's progression?

Sure, but if you run up a single "most played" hand a bunch then that leaves you enough room that you don't really have to worry about running out of room to play other hands. If you have a hand with 20 plays, that's easily a couple hundred hands spread around among other hands before you have to play something at 20.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Good point. I got the Obelisk in Ante 1 which is what threw me I think

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Color Printer posted:

Not unlock, find.

Yeah I know

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I'm probably staying below orange stake when I'm done unlocking all decks since perishable jokers are just annoying. Perishable scaling jokers just become entirely useless instead of being a good way to start your run. When you only get to look at 3-4 jokers before a reset that matters a lot.

Blueprint! Holo Baron! ... the plant.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 16, 2024

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

smoobles posted:

It's not worth the trouble. You now understand Obelisk joker.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Color Printer posted:

Oh, I didn't know that.

My point still stands though for at least stone joker, I've had plenty of runs with stone cards

Stone was the last one I found for Collection, because I just don't use Stone cards that often. I had to start deliberately going hard on econ so I could dig for the thing.

MJeff posted:

It's not worth the trouble. You now understand Obelisk joker.

Unfortunately I have to use it for this Monolith challenge.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nemo2342 posted:

Stone was the last one I found for Collection, because I just don't use Stone cards that often. I had to start deliberately going hard on econ so I could dig for the thing.

Just treat it like dead weight that occasionally gives you 1.2 or 1.4 mult and act like the challenge is to have one less joker space and a lot of stone, it's really easy that way.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Nemo2342 posted:

Straight up ignore it for the Monolith challenge. Build towards Pair/High Card. You still have 4 joker slots you can put whatever into so build around Marble Joker instead.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Idk why there's so much confusion when it comes to obelisk. For that challenge play pair until ante 6 then switch to high card+any two pairs or three of a kinds you luck into. Obelisk will be 4xing you by the end.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

No Wave posted:

Idk why there's so much confusion when it comes to obelisk. For that challenge play pair until ante 6 then switch to high card+any two pairs or three of a kinds you luck into. Obelisk will be 4xing you by the end.

It's not confusion, it's more so it's a dick to play around and also awful for endless.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I genuinely think Obelisk is an extremely powerful joker for stake grinding but you need to know when you should take it and how to pivot away from your most played hand.

It's not something you take every time, but when you're set up for it it can carry your whole run.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Well just had a stacked run with DNA, about twelve red stamped steel kings, two pair up to level 17, blueprint, party dude, and a few other +multi and xmulti jokers. Still wasn't enough for the small blind of 11, top hand was 23M. I can't imagine how I could have added much more to it, save Baron or mime. I'll keep chipping away.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Obelisk is also good if you are transitioning from flushes to flush houses and flush fives and such

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 17, 2024

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Feldegast42 posted:

Whoever said that the opening is poker, the midgame is a deckbuilder, and the endgame is a comp sci problem was on the money

I've only just gotten this game, and agree with this statement.

I have had this game for 48 hours and Steam has clocked 11 hours played help me

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Dang y'all rock. I'm currently trying to hit the 100M hand unlock, and it's a beast. It seems hard to hit the right mix of requirements: red seal, steel, death, DNA, Baron, mime...I know it's RNG, but even with the Wisdom, execution is lacking.

You really don't need all that, that stuff is mostly for E point hands off a lucky (or very well played) run. I stumbled into the 100 million unlock in my 6th or 7th game playing. It was my first run on the ghost deck and I started with the walkie talkie, polychromed it, and just built my deck around playing 5 of a kind fours. This is not a particularly strong strategy and I didn't really know the power of retriggers and such at that point I just had a high leveled planet X, a well scaled constellation getting blueprinted as well as some other random xmult jokers and that still hit 1 billion.

The red seal steal baron mime stuff is for going to ridiculously high numbers but it's by no means necessary for any of the standard unlocks.

Aipsh posted:

planet cards,
+ mult,
X mult,
all flushes,

I think it should be "not all flushes", early on you clear ante 1/2 fairly easily with flushes and a lot of beginners to the game get tricked into tunneling in on it when it's not really that good of a strategy at higher stakes (particularly the original orange/gold). "Help I'm stuck on orange/gold stake, I've been playing checkered deck...." was probably one of the most common posts about balatro on reddit after launch lol. It's the original noob trap.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My wife's interested in trying the game out, other than just reusing the seed is there a way to re-enable the whole tutorial?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i'm interested in seeing where future updates take the meta, especially as it seems to be congealing around a very specific type of build (high card red seal face cards) due to the joker support

RBA Starblade posted:

My wife's interested in trying the game out, other than just reusing the seed is there a way to re-enable the whole tutorial?

the seed doesn't work (source: tried myself, steam forums).

1. make a new folder somewhere to store your save file
2. go to C:\Users\(YOU)\AppData\Roaming\Balatro
3. move everything from this folder into the new folder you made
4. steam -> balatro -> properties -> disable steam cloud
5. the balatro folder should be empty; start balatro and enjoy the tutorial

to restore:

1. delete everything in the balatro folder
2. copy everything out of the backup folder back into the balatro folder
2. turn on cloud saves in balatro's steam options again
3. launch -- it will tell you there's a conflict, pick the local files (since you just restored them)

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 17, 2024

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You can just create a new profile. There are up to three I believe.

e: read the steam link. Weird. My wife played the tutorial no problem.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i confirmed it myself before i posted it, creating a new profile doesn't show you the tutorial, it just drops you into a new game like normal.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Zamujasa posted:

i confirmed it myself before i posted it, creating a new profile doesn't show you the tutorial, it just drops you into a new game like normal.

Does the tutorial even really show you anything? Admittedly I think I saw a streamer play the game once before I picked it up but the mechanics are fairly self explanatory. IIRC it forces you to play specific hands during ante 1, makes you buy the basic joker first shop, and then fucks off.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Mime retriggers Baron, right?

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

MJeff posted:

Mime retriggers Baron, right?

affirmative. As well as all other hand trigger jokers like shoot the moon or free parking, though to substantially less relevant effect.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ran into the face-debuff boss one ante later. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kuros posted:

Straight up ignore it for the Monolith challenge. Build towards Pair/High Card. You still have 4 joker slots you can put whatever into so build around Marble Joker instead.

Pretty much what I did after I lucked into an early Pair of Pants and a Baseball Card. Just 2 Pair + Stone until victory.

No Wave posted:

It wasn't confusion so much as me joking around because I found it to be an unfun challenge.