Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Smugworth posted:

Where are the lady orks

The Seinfeld 40K Thread clearly states that Kramer was dating one, and as far as I'm concerned that thread is canon.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789940&pagenumber=3

Triggered posted:

George tries to be proactive but accidently orders an exterminatus on his bosses home planet. Jerry does not understand why his assassin has failed yet again to kill his political rival. Kramer arrives for a tour of the inner sanctum and is mistaken for the tech priest he pushed off a ledge by accident 5 minutes before. He is tasked with entering the webway to discover a fix for the golden throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
Are there any other instances of Games WOKEshop doing more lore reveals or retcons on things like what's happened with the Custodes?

Froghammer posted:

GW is riding a weird fine line with Orkz in that they're technically genderless because fungus but also they refer to themselves as either boyz or lads because soccer hooligans

Is any of the fact that they're non-binary explicitly in the lore, or is it discussed ever or is it just only mentioned in how Orkz reproduced and biology in like the codex or something?

e: grammar

thin blue whine fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 16, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
prophet of the waagh has a bit on that too

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

this dope never read 40k in his life and it shows.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

thin blue whine posted:

Is any of the fact that they're non-binary explicitly in the lore, or is it discussed ever or is it just only mentioned in how Orkz reproduced and biology in like the codex or something?
Orks are a sapient fungal infection, they reproduce asexually by spreading spores. They literally have no gender.

Original lore was that they were all male but sometimes one of them would turn female, get embarassed, and wander off saying they "had to take care of sumfin'" and come back later with babies, but this was discarded on the grounds that it was real fuckin' stupid

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

thin blue whine posted:

Are there any other instances of Games WOKEshop doing more lore reveals or retcons on things like what's happened with the Custodes?

e: grammar

They retconned the necrons and C'tan but not quite the same way

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Orkz should be boys and eldar should be girls

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

sharknado slashfic posted:

Also Iirc there were Ork Genestealers back in the day, but when they made the new Genestealer Cults army they created new lore that said Ork Genestealers don’t really work because other Orks can feel something’s wrong through the waaaugh.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
any proper ork can smell a git

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
chaos and tyranids and all that poo poo doesn't work on Orkz because the Orkz believe they're immune to it

they'd be bulletproof if you could convince the fight-happy bastards that getting shot wasn't funny

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

I remember the first iteration. I think 3rd edition? I started playing right as the Necron codex was released (and took a very looooong hiatus a few years after). The new lore is much better, I think.

Specifically though, I was thinking more like any crazy gender reveals or anything that outraged some of the bigger losers in the fandom for being too "woke".

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R9PkBpWtAo

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

chaos and tyranids and all that poo poo doesn't work on Orkz because the Orkz believe they're immune to it

they'd be bulletproof if you could convince the fight-happy bastards that getting shot wasn't funny

Wll akshually! There were definitely chaos orks in the old codex.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yeah Orks have a natural resistance to Genestealers and Chaos, especially compared to humans who are insanely susceptible to every drat thing, but they are definitely not immune.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I see this misconception of the power of the Waaagh all over the place, and I have to assume it comes from irresponsible Youtubers and other misinformation peddling foreign agents. The Waaagh bends reality slightly so things work as Orks expect them to work. It makes an engine that normally would instantly stall out run basically OK. It doesn't turn a cardboard box with "gun" on it into a gun.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

thin blue whine posted:

I remember the first iteration. I think 3rd edition? I started playing right as the Necron codex was released (and took a very looooong hiatus a few years after). The new lore is much better, I think.

Specifically though, I was thinking more like any crazy gender reveals or anything that outraged some of the bigger losers in the fandom for being too "woke".

There was a black space marine on the cover of the first "Guilliman is in charge now" book which I think caused a mild stir and they also acknowledged the existence of the sisters of silence. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

thin blue whine posted:

thought this said "extra kinks"

Well, I was trying to stay on topic, but since you brought it up...

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

thin blue whine posted:

as others mentioned, not really

but they should do a lot more, because the outrage at female custodes is loving hilarious

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Vampire Panties posted:

as others mentioned, not really

but they should do a lot more, because the outrage at female custodes is loving hilarious

:hmmyes:

Boys mad.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Good

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
Next step is to reveal that the missing 2 primarchs were women, but stricken due to some ecclesiastical nonsense for being so.

And their stats are better than Guillioman.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

There was a black space marine on the cover of the first "Guilliman is in charge now" book which I think caused a mild stir and they also acknowledged the existence of the sisters of silence. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

arent the salamanders black? im not a 40k nerd but i thought there was an entire company of black space marines and it was salamanders

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the salamanders are basically genetic blackface. they turn black(er) when they get the geneseed

im not even kidding

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

snergle posted:

arent the salamanders black? im not a 40k nerd but i thought there was an entire company of black space marines and it was salamanders

The Salamanders are black like charcoal, not melanin. POC marines have always existed. It's loving stupid to think that after 10000 years on every type of planet that everyone would somehow end up on the white to ham side of the spectrum.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
They should keep quiet on the female space marines issues, cause watching dumbasses on both sides fight eachother is funny.

snergle posted:

I always thought that the Salamanders were black, but less regular human dark skin and more onyx-like black.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I see this misconception of the power of the Waaagh all over the place, and I have to assume it comes from irresponsible Youtubers and other misinformation peddling foreign agents. The Waaagh bends reality slightly so things work as Orks expect them to work. It makes an engine that normally would instantly stall out run basically OK. It doesn't turn a cardboard box with "gun" on it into a gun.
Yeah, not any more, because GW hates fun :colbert:

it used to and that was funner

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
it's extra stupid because space marines have always canonically had a skin implant that adjusts their melanin levels to optimal for whatever level of UV they're exposed to and yet no author has ever brought that up as far as I know, anybody remember them referencing that in a book? Even an imperial guard liason or something going 'oh hey that guy's pale as a ghost inside but bronze god outside"

the reason the salamanders are charcoal black is because theirs doesn't turn off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Chaos Orks do happen, they're just rare for a few reasons mostly that Chaos doesn't really have a lot to offer them. I imagine the exceptions are mostly when a Khornate daemon manages to convince an Ork they'll have hella fun letting them come along for the ride.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Look if the 10 foot tall vaguely human shaped demigod that can crush a space marine like a space marine can crush a human says its preferred pronouns are she/her then Im not really gonna contest the issue.

I am, however, going to ask if she can give me a piggy back ride.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Benagain posted:

it's extra stupid because space marines have always canonically had a skin implant that adjusts their melanin levels to optimal for whatever level of UV they're exposed to and yet no author has ever brought that up as far as I know, anybody remember them referencing that in a book? Even an imperial guard liason or something going 'oh hey that guy's pale as a ghost inside but bronze god outside"

the reason the salamanders are charcoal black is because theirs doesn't turn off.

dan abnett, know no fear, in the attack on calth

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
generally, the specific implants getting discussed are the weirder ones like omophagea and belchers gland

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Archer666 posted:

I always thought that the Salamanders were black, but less regular human dark skin and more onyx-like black.

That, and they all have glowing red eyes because of an inherited condition caused by weird radiation on their Primarch's home planet. As far as Space Marine chapters go they're about the closest thing 40k has to "good guys" and they're the only ones who value ordinary human life over their own.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

cult_hero posted:

The Salamanders are black like charcoal, not melanin. POC marines have always existed. It's loving stupid to think that after 10000 years on every type of planet that everyone would somehow end up on the white to ham side of the spectrum.

Archer666 posted:

They should keep quiet on the female space marines issues, cause watching dumbasses on both sides fight eachother is funny.

oh so they arent melanin black just black as in the color thats wierd

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
IIRC it was both for a while because of some confusion between the lore writers and artists. Supposedly the Drow style black skin/red eyes was the intent, but the artists heard "black skin" and just assumed melanin-black.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Grammarchist posted:

The Seinfeld 40K Thread clearly states that Kramer was dating one, and as far as I'm concerned that thread is canon.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789940&pagenumber=3

lol ty for linking that thread

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

That, and they all have glowing red eyes because of an inherited condition caused by weird radiation on their Primarch's home planet. As far as Space Marine chapters go they're about the closest thing 40k has to "good guys" and they're the only ones who value ordinary human life over their own.

And I'm pretty sure that they look scary by default and are particularly brutal in combat (they love flamethrowers almost as much as the Sororitas) is meant to be a deliberate contrast there.

They should really do more with the Iron Hands, as one-note as they often are there's genuinely interesting poo poo going on with how they embrace bionics to the point where it's implied a lot of them go full-body conversion, in a way that's nearly unique in the setting and especially among Space Marines.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

snergle posted:

oh so they arent melanin black just black as in the color thats wierd

they all talk like Robin William's impression of a black person it's very cringe

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Smugworth posted:

they all talk like Robin William's impression of a black person it's very cringe

Now I'm reminded of the audio book version of Scars, where the narrator had all the White Scars talk with the faux asian accent

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gripweed posted:

if they tape together a bunch of cardboard into the vague shape of a gun and load a clip into it, will it at least explode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The ork waaagh works by making possible things that orkz think would be cool. Having bulletproof skin isn't cool, it's boring. Hearing bullets bounce off of your buzz saw arm is cool