Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

CoffeeBoofer posted:

The story that harmed me the most was Timothy the mouse. Never got a follow up to that.

Wife who had the husband who was certain she was going to die during childbirth is the one that occationally pops into my head every so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Butter in the bathroom is another one.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Vader posted:

I used to have the big "human suffering as entertainment" argument against horror movies, until I realized that pretty much all drama is also deriving entertainment from watching other people suffering adversity of some kind. Even in a goofball comedy, good chance you're gonna see a nut shot or something.

I still have that lingering ick about true crime, though, although I understand there's a fascination about the worst of humanity that does help to avoid being victimized by it. But I'm still not sure there should be a podcast called My Favorite Murder.
I'm also weirded out by true crime and I do think that there's an argument to be made that entertainment based on supposedly real suffering (who knows how many r/relationships and AITA posts are actually real) can have issues that aren't present in stuff that's entirely fictional

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
true crime is different bc people are making money on the suffering of victims and their families as well as often sensationalizing the criminals and often helping elevate them to cult status. but i think if you're applying that logic to, like...people who are choosing to post their own stories to AITA, it's time to take a breathe. That's just good ol-fashioned rumor-mill type gabbing and story-swapping, which is really human and not some sign of an inherent evil or moral failing.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I still want to know what was upstairs that was so important/private/embarrassing

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
I want to know how jacking off can make the sound of change rattling and also how it can be so loud that it wakes someone up in a totally different part of the house. So much so that I think about it weekly.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I have literal murderers, arsonists, and worse in my family (which I haven't spoken to since I was a kid) so the true crime stuff is an assurance that it isn't just my family that's full of monsters. Humans have always been fascinated with death and malfunction. Like someone else pointed out, at the core we're still just apes.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'm constantly shaking my head at people's lack of sprezzatura.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

edgeman83 posted:

I want to know how jacking off can make the sound of change rattling and also how it can be so loud that it wakes someone up in a totally different part of the house. So much so that I think about it weekly.

If they got a bunch of change in their pockets and a bouncy spring mattress

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Hold on, I'll comment on my favorite stories but first I gotta hit the drippini

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I always remember the guy who ate an entire six foot party sub at his friends' gathering

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Extra Large Marge posted:

I always remember the guy who ate an entire six foot party sub at his friends' gathering

Sub guy, Soup Tubes, Ketchup Rent Skit, and Sandwich Millionaire are my favorite food-based /r/relationship stories.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
By the way, feel free to post the classics. They're not reposts in a new thread.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Extra Large Marge posted:

That sure beats Super Mario Bros!

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

There was the mashed potatoes with crisps and raisins in it one. That was a hell of a thing. Or the white lady that completely turbofucked her entire catering career by being hella racist about the cook for a big Chinese restaurant in NY.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
AITA for effectively banning my nephew from masturbating?

quote:

Throwaway for privacy, couldn't think of a non-offensive name.

I never thought this would be an issue or something I would ever have to devote thought to, but my nephew who lives with us has started puberty, and his new masturbation habits are causing major issues.

Our house has very thin walls, and currently, one functioning bathroom. We have 6 people here, 2 of whom are twin infants. The last person is my very intellectually disabled sister (not his mother). There are two bedrooms upstairs for the kids, and two downstairs.

Male masturbation, unfortunately, makes noise. This noise wakes the babies and/or my sister. When the babies wake up, EVERYONE is now up and going upstairs to check on them. The babies aren't getting enough sleep, and the rest of us aren't getting enough sleep. I got into a minor car crash (sans children) because I'm not awake enough anymore.

There's also the issue of my sister walking in. There are no locks on the bedroom doors, and my sister doesn't exactly grasp knocking. She used to be able to deal with a closed door, but she's been having trouble as of late. The noise troubles her, but seeing it would be disastrous due to recent trauma.

The bathroom would also be an issue because we currently only have the one and EVERYONE'S bathroom needs have to be dealt with there. I can't devote bathroom time to any one person outside of medical issues.

My husband doesn't understand why this HAS to happen, that we just need to tell him not to do it. He started puberty at 16, and views masturbation before adulthood as unnecessary. I grew up in a high stress home, started before puberty, and realize that it's a major need if only for stress relief. However, something has to give. I don't want to give him a complex, but people need to be able to sleep.

There has to be a set rule other than "sometimes we shout at you and sometimes it's never mentioned" because that's what works best in parenting, but I don't know WHAT time would be free. Nephew doesn't have home alone time often if ever.

I feel like an rear end in a top hat, but also like I don't really have a choice.

The noise:

quote:

The part that makes the noise is the ejaculation. AFAIK, it's supposed to sound like "clink clink clink" but it sounds more like dumping coins into a bucket.
About making it quieter:

quote:

I don't know that it can be made quieter. Male ejaculation makes noise (don't know how people say it doesn't) and his is louder than normal and we have thin walls and sensitive babies.

edgeman83 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 16, 2024

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I’m in highschool and money was stolen from my bank account. I need help NOW

quote:

I’m in highschool (just finished my frosh yr) and I’m supposed to go on a big trip this summer. I didnt have any way to get money and my parents didnt want me to have a lot of cash so they set me up with my first bank account and put $1000 in! It came with a atm card and some checks.

The checks were really cool, I never had anything like them before. But I was kind of sad because I didn’t have anything to use them for. I had a lot of friends over last week and I showed them the checks and they all thought they were really cool too. I got the idea that I could give my friends some souvenir checks. I TOLD them these were ONLY SOUVENIRS. We had a blast that day, I was acting like a billionaire and making jokes asking people how much money they needed and then writing them a fake check. I kept telling them it was all FAKE and they couldn’t cash the checks.

Because some of my friends are idiots I got a txt today from one guy saying he tried to cash a check and the bank wouldnt give him money. I told him what the f*** are you doing trying to cash the check after I TOLD you not to.

I went to the bank this afternoon to sort it out and I asked how much money was in the account. They said there was NOTHING in the account and that I owed THEM money for fees. I felt like I was going to faint or throw up so I got out of there as fast as I could (didn’t explain the situation to them).

I need to fix this without my parents finding out. do I talk to the police first or do I talk to the bank first about the stolen money? Im in MI.

I think about this one every day

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Captain Fargle posted:

There was the mashed potatoes with crisps and raisins in it one. That was a hell of a thing. Or the white lady that completely turbofucked her entire catering career by being hella racist about the cook for a big Chinese restaurant in NY.

I totally missed the racist one. Wtf.

And the noisy maturbation, was that ever clarified? I'm so confused about that one.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Trigger warning: heartwarming

My neighbor left her house to my dad in her will

quote:

I (19m) got news the my elderly neighbor passed away this last week. She was 94 and the most compassionate person I have ever met. She’s always been an important person in my family’s life.

For some backstory my parents had me when my dad was 16 and my mom was 18. She decided she didn’t want to have a child to take care of because she had so many goals she didn’t think she could achieve while raising and child. My dad begged her to keep me and he would take all the responsibility and raise me by himself. He managed to convince her and he dropped out of highschool, got his GED and went to work on the pipeline to earn some money to save up so he could afford to take care of me. My maternal grandparents didn’t want anything to do with me either so it was just me, my dad and his parents. At age 20 my dad moved out to an okay house he found for somewhat cheap. This is when we met our neighbor I’ll call Betty.

Betty made sure to welcome us with open arms and told us if we ever needed anything at all to knock on her door. My grandmother had a health scare one night and my dad couldn’t find anyone to watch me so he knocked on Betty’s door. She agreed to watch me and from that day on she became my unofficial granny as she would say. She would frequently have dinner with us, as I got older we helped look after her house and do all of her yard work! Everyone in my family just fell in love with the beautiful person that Betty was. I don’t want to drag this story out any longer but she was always there for us and vice versa.

Last night there was a knock on the door, it was a lawyer explaining that Betty left us pretty much everything. She had said that when she was alone we made her feel like family and she could never repay my father for all the kindness and compassion he had so this was her way to “make up for that” that brought my father to tears. He put a picture of us and Betty up that we got. I’m so proud of the person my dad is and that he changed her life just as much as she changed ours.

Rip Granny Betty we love you!
:unsmith:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Scathach posted:

I totally missed the racist one. Wtf.

And the noisy maturbation, was that ever clarified? I'm so confused about that one.

Yes. Repeatedly. They kept making it more and more clear they meant EXACTLY what they said.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I'll fall for the Tuesday, I suppose.

My (25F) boyfriend (25M) keeps asking me to invest in his "soup tube" business idea, and I am not sure how to deal with it

quote:

I have been living with my boyfriend for about 7 months. Two weeks ago he sat me down and presented a powerpoint presentation with his business idea. I knew he'd been working on an idea, but he didn't want to tell me about it until it was finished. Based on his enthusiasm and his prior seemingly intelligent nature, I thought maybe it'd be a pretty cool idea.

Instead he presented to me an idea about "soup tubes". The idea, if you can call it that, is to construct a series of tubes throughout our city that leads to centralized soup kitchens. For a monthly subscription, a customer can "subscribe to a tube of soup", and a tube extension would be built off the nearest mainline tube and directly into the customer apartment or home. Based on subscription level, that would determine the quantity of soup a customer could pour and how many types of soup. The "tubes" are basically the size of pipes, like you might see under a sink, but he insisted that "it MUST be called soup tube, not soup pipe, tube just zings better."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. At first I asked if he was crank yanking me or something, but he was completely sincere. Obviously, the idea is completely insane. The notion that the city would authorize somebody to construct a series of tubes everywhere that carry soup into homes is of course ludicrous. And even if such an initiative were approved, the costs for such an operation would be ridiculous. You would have to charge outrageous prices for customers to install and "subscribe" to a soup tube, and who would pay for such a service when canned soup costs like a dollar or two? Or you can buy soup from a restaurant for a few dollars? I explained these things as politely as I could but he dismissed them and all said that "tube based soup delivery is the wave of the future."

He then asked me how much I wanted to invest, and I told him nothing, and he looked absolutely heartbroken. Since then, almost every day he has asked again for me to invest, and keeps trying to sell me on the idea. He is also doing the same thing to a lot of his friends.

It is starting to drive me up the wall. First, I am at a loss as to how he can believe such a stupid idea is worthwhile, second it is really god damned annoying to be asked on a daily basis to invest in a system of soup tubes, and third I am also concerned for his sanity. Other than his apparent obsession with this though he has shown no other signs.

I would like some advice as to how I can reason with him, or whether I should even continue this relationship.

TL:DR - My boyfriend wants me to invest in a business venture wherein tubes would deliver soup.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I’m in highschool and money was stolen from my bank account. I need help NOW

I think about this one every day

Do you think about the update too?

UPDATE I’m in highschool and money was stolen from my bank account. I need help NOW

quote:

Thouhgt I should give an update. Thanks everyone for the advice. I still felt like I should try going to the cops, but everytime I wanted to, I kept getting nervous and chickened out. That lasted about a day, then it turns out my dad looked got a call from the bank and he went absolutely apesh*t.

They stopped all the checks and took my checkbook away. I have no idea if they got the money back from my friends, my dad left for work for a week and he’s not talking to me.

I probably won’t see him for a while because I leave for my trip this week and I’ll be gone for a while. I’m only getting $300 for the trip this time instead of $1000, but I guess it makes sense that im punished somehow.

Biggest lesson learned: don’t mess around with a checkbook, or if you need to, make sure to write void on the checks.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I would always chuckle at any reference to "that real tomato flavor!"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Captain Fargle posted:

There was the mashed potatoes with crisps and raisins in it one.

I don't remember that one, I'm curious because I just listened to a food-related podcast that mentioned someone's recipe for mashed potatoes with raisins, and swore out was actually really good. No idea what the reddit story was about, the topic just caught my eye.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Make sure you write void on the souvenir checks next time

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

edgeman83 posted:

Listen, not everybody has room for a piggy bank AND a fleshlight.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

edgeman83 posted:

I thought it was eventually concluded that it was the sound of donating to someone's OnlyFans stream?

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Kenshin posted:

I still want to know what was upstairs that was so important/private/embarrassing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Landlady_(short_story)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I thought it was eventually concluded that it was the sound of donating to someone's OnlyFans stream?

As far as people randomly making poo poo up, sure

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Chaturbate; it makes a jangling "change pouring into a bucket" sound when you tip a streamer.

EDIT: That said, she was insistent that ejaculation was what made the "change sound", which is just weird because presumably at some point she's probably had sex?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Neito posted:

Chaturbate; it makes a jangling "change pouring into a bucket" sound when you tip a streamer.

EDIT: That said, she was insistent that ejaculation was what made the "change sound", which is just weird because presumably at some point she's probably had sex?

she's a slot machine from the waist down

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just don't understand how she would get the idea that ejaculation would be the thing producing a coin sound

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

mystes posted:

I just don't understand how she would get the idea that ejaculation would be the thing producing a coin sound

The only thing I've ever been able to think of is that she's a lesbian who's never had sex with a man. Its the only way it makes sense.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Every once in a while at work I think about the guy just crushing cans of .5 beer while working.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Trash takes itself out

AITA for choosing a concert over my best friend's wedding?

quote:

My (26f) best friend (26f) Jessy is getting married on July 13th in Albania. We both live in Albania.

The issue is that on July 13th my fiancé and I have booked tickets for the Eras tour in Milan almost 1 year in advance or else they'd sell out. We also had to book hotels, flights etc because we'll stay there for 4 days.

Jessy knew that I've booked tickets on that date. She hadn't booked her wedding yet. She got engaged in November and booked her wedding date last month. She had told everyone she'd get married during summer but she never said the exact date up to this point when many people kept asking her so they can know their plans. I booked the tickets this past summer when the tour dates were announced.

When she told me the date I told her she can't be serious. She was like why? I reminded her I have the concert and the trip on those dates. And she told me ok? Then cancel it obviously? I told her sorry I can't. I can't cancel the hotel, plane tickets and concert tickets. I'll have to pay a high fee to cancel all that and I don't think I can even cancel the concert tickets. I reminded her it's something I've planned a year in advance and she knew. And she straight up told me that yes she knew but she didn't care because as a friend she'd expect me to do the right thing and drop everything for her wedding. I told her I'm not cancelling my plans for something you knew a year in advance I'd do.

She accused me of being ta basically for putting a trip and a concert over her wedding. She won't speak to me now unless I send her proof that I'm cancelling everything to attend her wedding.
Tell her you'll try to make her next wedding, OP.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

odiv posted:

Every once in a while at work I think about the guy just crushing cans of .5 beer while working.

Oh yeah, AITA for drinking a 6 pack of O'Doul's every morning?

quote:

For quick context purposes, I'm a recovering alcoholic. I've been sober for 4 years. I used to love day drinking -- basically waking up in the morning and drinking right away.

One thing that helped me kick the juice is drinking O'Doul's in the morning. It's a habit I haven't really broken, and with being said, I bring a 6 pack of O'Doul's into work every morning and drink them at my cubicle. For those unaware, O'Doul's is a non-alcoholic brand of beer.

I have a handful of coworkers that find this offensive. I won't call out anyone individually, but I've heard comments like "I wish I could crush a 6 pack of beers at work" or "I guess it's 5 o'clock in (OP's) world" or "The rest of us are working hard while (OP's) over there treating this like some sort of frat house party". I've also been told I "reek like beer", and I've even heard people undermine my sobriety by saying I still have a problem and that "drinking non-alcoholic beer doesn't make it any better".

I was recently brought into a meeting with HR and notified that some employees had issued complaints against my "behavior." I was frustrated because no one yells at Diane for drinking 8 Diet Cokes a day, yet here I am in HR's office. I was politely asked by my employer to leave the O'Doul's at home. I'm having an issue understanding why this is a problem. AITA for drinking O'Doul's at work?

Another classic: AITA for drinking whiskey in the office at 10:30 in the morning?

quote:

I (38M) work a stressful job in finance. After years of climbing my way up the corperate ladder, I finally became a VP at my firm - which comes with its own office!

I'm consider myself a 'classic' kinda guy, and one of the things I admire most about the workplaces of the 1960s (think Mad Men etc), is that the characters always have a jar of whiskey in their hands no matter what time of day it is. Back when I worked the trading floor, it would have been uncouth to do such a thing in front of my colleagues - but I figured no one would care about it now that I have my own office.

I recently purchased some whiskey jars, and a premium bottle ($500+) which I store openly on my desk. I work with some high-end clients, and I'll always offer them a glass when we have important meetings. Unfortunatley, none of them have ever accepted. So, not wanting to let the whiskey go to waste, I've started sipping on a couple of glasses by myself throughout the day, sometimes as early as 10:30 AM.

That was until yesterday morning, when one of my bosses (CTO) burst into the office unannounced, and caught me sipping. He looked shocked, turned his back, and left. At this point the bottle was about half-empty, so it probably looked pretty bad to him. (Although I must add that this was consumed over the course of a whole week - I was drinking slowly enough that it didn't affect my work in any way.)

He sent me a long e-mail about how I have problem and that he's going to contact HR. In the heat of the moment, I sent him a reply telling him maybe he needs a glass or two to lighten up. (I'll admit to being the rear end in a top hat for that part.) I'm scheduled to speak to HR tomorrow and I'm making GBS threads it. Reddit, am I really the rear end in a top hat for sipping whiskey privately in my office?

EDIT: It seems that I'm TA :( I'm going to ensure the whiskey / drinking is hidden from public view in the future + no drinking before lunchtime. Still sucks that I don't get to be Don Draper though :(

FINAL EDIT / UPDATE:

Oh boy, so I met with the HR lady early this morning, and I, very stupidly - out of pure reflexive habit - offered her a drink before we started. She was not amused to say the least. After that I basically got on my knees and begged for forgiveness. They've let me keep me job, but I'm relegated to sitting at a tiny desk in a shared office under the constant eye of the CTO. Moreover, word has gotten around the floor about my old-school antics. I've already had a couple of colleagues jokingly call me 'Don', 'Donny boy', or even asked me for whiskey themselves. I'll take it, but this isn't what I imagined being a Mad Man would be like.

Finally, instead of drinking it at work - I've decided to gift the remainder of the bottle to my wife. Lord knows she'll need it being married to Don Draper.

"CTO caught me sippin'"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

FMguru posted:

Trash takes itself out

AITA for choosing a concert over my best friend's wedding?

Tell her you'll try to make her next wedding, OP.

OP posted:

Her parents and future husband are disagreeing but also my parents have tried to start arguments with me over my choice

OP posted:

Her parents and my parents were family friends before we were born. So we were basically raised together and growing up we became close friends. My parents are also offended on my decision because they believe I'm dishonoring them as well for disrespecting their friend's daughter
These people are all assholes.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Paper Tiger posted:

Another classic: AITA for drinking whiskey in the office at 10:30 in the morning?

"CTO caught me sippin'"
So many great details in that story. This was my favorite:

quote:

I work with some high-end clients, and I'll always offer them a glass when we have important meetings. Unfortunatley, none of them have ever accepted.
His whole excuse for keeping expensive bottles of whiskey in his office is to impress fancy clients, and he won't the fact that precisely zero of his clients have taken him up on his offer deter him from thinking that he is totally killing it with his cool Don Draper cosplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There's no problem with a nice seltzer water in the morning, however its flavored.