Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

Actually, the more that I think about, the less that I understand the whole situation with Ishido, Mariko, and the hostages. Maybe I missed some subtle dialogue along the way or something.

Mariko had come ostensibly to deliver a message to Ishido and then to leave again. The hostages feel that they can’t leave because of Ishido’s intimidation. What would it change if Ishido just let Mariko leave but demanded that the hostages stay when they asked to leave as well, under the pretense of keeping them safe from Toranaga?

Mariko didn't come to deliver a message though, her orders were to bring the toranaga hostages at the castle back to toranaga. Even if ishido let mariko leave alone, mariko would still protest that she couldn't carry out her lord's orders (because ishido is keeping the others hostage) and the same events would probably play out

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

MeinPanzer posted:

This was a fantastic episode. The one thing that I found a bit unconvincing, though, is that Mariko could ever think that her standing in front of the explosives would do much to shield everyone else, given her size.
Mariko wanted to die and getting blown the gently caress up while a guest in Ishido's castle benefits her lord politically, so it's a win-win. I didn't get the sense that Toranaga rejected her earlier request for death because he disagreed with her reasons - it seemed more likely that he wouldn't let Ochiba's BFF die when she could still serve a purpose.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

Actually, the more that I think about, the less that I understand the whole situation with Ishido, Mariko, and the hostages. Maybe I missed some subtle dialogue along the way or something.

Mariko had come ostensibly to deliver a message to Ishido and then to leave again. The hostages feel that they can’t leave because of Ishido’s intimidation. What would it change if Ishido just let Mariko leave but demanded that the hostages stay when they asked to leave as well, under the pretense of keeping them safe from Toranaga?

It was delicate balance and nobody wanted to be the first to upset it. Everybody knew that they were hostages as much as guests, but everybody also knew that Ishido didn't truly have the clout to stop them all if they all decided at once to leave. Ishido's power is based in legalism and precedent more than raw military might, and trying to imprison everyone by force would just lead to a civil war with him losing in the end.

However, nobody wanted to be the first one to actually raise or even force the issue, because that would be painting a huge target on their backs. They might be allowed to leave, but Ishido would still be able to severely gently caress with whoever he considered guilty after the fact. After all, everyone is expecting Toranaga to lose and Ishido to remain in power, so it would seem safer to just sit the whole thing out in Osaka rather than risk anything.

But Mariko was able to make that first move, and escalated it to the maximum, because she had nothing to lose. And once she had raised that precedent that it was possible to leave, the balance of power tipped. At that point Ishido had no more legal pretense to even try to keep anybody in, and any attempt to say otherwise would be so obviously tyrannical that the remaining nobles would feel forced to revolt.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Also, I fully admit that I ate crow watching that last ep. I didn't think the writers could convey the delicate balance Toranaga was maintaining with his plan (somewhere between master strategist and sad daimyo) but for me, they did it.

The way it played out, Toranaga didn't even need Yabu to betray him. The plan to turn the other lords against Ishido and Ochiba would likely have succeeded, but with Mariko murdered, Toranaga now reaps all the benefits of his plan, with the added outrage of the death that Ishido can't play off as some random bandit bullshit.

E: I swear I did not steal "delicate balance" from the previous poster (I was typing while they were apparently) but I think both of us using that phrase is pretty indicative of what the writers were trying to convey. Toranaga's plan wasn't perfect. It could have failed if Ishido had been a little more savvy (insisted on a private audience with Mariko, cut her off when the conversation started to shift etc) but it did play out to his advantage. It was high risk.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 16, 2024

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Mariko’s husband has been through a lot.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Jerusalem posted:

I think Ishido's plan was effectively a variation of the "lotta "bandits" around Osaka all of a sudden, eh?" strategy where everybody knows it is bullshit but decorum dictates you can't openly call it out. By having Mariko captured by Shinobi, he could claim it was a sign of the dangers outside the castle and the "unfortunate" necessity of insisting the remaining "guests" remain in the castle with a tripled guard for their "protection", probably blaming Toranaga for causing dissension that had emboldened "bandits".

Not a great plan, people can only take so much bullshit before things explode, and Ochiba had already seen that he had been expertly played into a corner - I strongly suspect that this idea was entirely his own and that she would have been against it for various reasons, not least of all the danger to Mariko who she does still appear to deeply care for. Instead everything goes wrong, mostly because Blackthorne happened to be in the room with her which gave an unexpected extra fighter for the shinobi to deal with, she dies anyway but this time not only in duty but also protecting the lives of her fellow "guests" which has completely hosed Ishido's standing and left him back even deeper in the same corner.

Also not a great plan because the shinobi attack happened inside the castle.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I like to think it was the peasant barb that drove Ishido over the edge.

Burns
May 10, 2008

drat good episode.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
God drat that was an episode of television. The whole season has been great but that tension for the entire episode oh my god.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

McNally posted:

Also not a great plan because the shinobi attack happened inside the castle.

Yeah, he killed a regent earlier. He just let him leave the castle and then had him murked on the road. I dunno I probably woulda gone with that plan again.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Osaka is an incredibly dangerous city to be near it would seem.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Burns posted:

drat good episode.

:emptyquote:

Show started good and has just gotten better and better.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Osaka is an incredibly dangerous city to be near it would seem.

Someone should probably confiscate all these swords or something.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Osaka would not be so rowdy again for more than 400 years, until the night the hanshin tigers broke the curse of the colonel

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
I haven’t read the book but my wife and I are convinced that this whole thing is Toranaga’s idea. Yeah it’s brutal to put his people in danger, but he’s brutal when necessary, and it would work more to his advantage to start a revolt against Ishido and Ochiba by making it look like they turned on Mariko after freeing her.

The first reason we thought of it was that the shinobi notably avoid killing Toranaga’s sleeping concubine and infant son. Yes, then they’re all trapped in that room and about to die, but I can see Toranaga’s original orders being “try to get them out if you can, but your top priority is inciting this rebellion.”

I will say that we had a hard time figuring out who was who in the dark rooms and we haven’t rewatched those scenes, so we might be reading it incorrectly. But I don’t see how sending shinobi after Mariko benefits Ishido, and I do see how it benefits Toranaga.

I’m not asking for spoilers from folks who know for sure how it shakes out, just wondering if anybody else saw it the same way? I’ve read reviews and everyone seems to be blaming it on Ishido, and that never occurred to either of us as a real possibility. So now I wonder if I, too, have been 5D chessed.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dikkfor posted:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Blue Scream posted:

The first reason we thought of it was that the shinobi notably avoid killing Toranaga’s sleeping concubine and infant son.

That could simply be down to not wanting to give Toranaga ANOTHER 49 days of mourning to plan further mischief!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
One really great moment was the sudden blast from Blackthorne's gun when people are fighting in the dark.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Dikkfor posted:

As we all know, the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a sword is a good guy Englishman with a sword cannon full of chainshot.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Will do a more in depth writeup later but this was one of the best episodes of television I've ever seen. Anna Sawai owned every scene.

That's kinda been the standard since the beginning.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
If they nail the finale, Shogun might be my favorite season of TV ever. Andor before it, but Shogun has done so much with just 10 episodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Based on his track record so far, Toranaga is gonna show up next episode in the coolest loving outfit anybody has ever seen and everybody agrees he can take over Japan because holy poo poo look at that outfit!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'd love toranaga to prove me wrong but I think mariko stole the best drip award from him at the last moment, perhaps one of the all time TV twists. I mean she had like 5 perfect outfits back to back in this

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nybble posted:

If they nail the finale, Shogun might be my favorite season of TV ever. Andor before it, but Shogun has done so much with just 10 episodes.

Yabu would have exactly the same vibe if he were an ISB officer

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, he killed a regent earlier. He just let him leave the castle and then had him murked on the road. I dunno I probably woulda gone with that plan again.

But the whole point is that Mariko couldn't leave the castle. After she left, what happened to her was irrelevant.

The original argument as to why Ishido was keeping everyone hostage was because there was a Toranaga plot against the heir. If Mariko is permitted to leave, then every other hostage will ask to leave. Ishido can probably pressure people one on one to stay, but Mariko leaving precipitates everyone to ask to leave. So "killing her on the road" does nothing for him: it's not her death that he is interested in. It's not losing his grip on the other regents by losing the hostages.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Dikkfor posted:

I'm so sick of all these shoguns

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
i guess it was finally time for blackthorne to show the guns, whole series makes sense now

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Blackthorne reaching through the wall to grab a ninja to shoot him through the wall was a badass move. That was a brutal episode, drat near Breaking Bad s4 finale levels of tension. RIP Mariko, you were too hot for the 17th century.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

obi_ant posted:

The assassins were Toranaga’s men?
Edit: Watched the scene again, it’s Ishido’s men. I love Yaba’s sigh.

The reactor thought Yabu was a loyal Toranaga boy all along and this was the thousands-storming-the-castle moment of Crimson Sky. Bit of a Marvel brain moment. Also, they were too busy mugging to the camera to pay attention to all the hints earlier in the episode about Yabu.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Stegosnaurlax posted:

That's kinda been the standard since the beginning.

I was nervous at the start, given I had just watched her in Monarch. But I guess that's almost entirely down to the writing than the acting.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Blue Scream posted:

I haven’t read the book but my wife and I are convinced that this whole thing is Toranaga’s idea. Yeah it’s brutal to put his people in danger, but he’s brutal when necessary, and it would work more to his advantage to start a revolt against Ishido and Ochiba by making it look like they turned on Mariko after freeing her.

The first reason we thought of it was that the shinobi notably avoid killing Toranaga’s sleeping concubine and infant son. Yes, then they’re all trapped in that room and about to die, but I can see Toranaga’s original orders being “try to get them out if you can, but your top priority is inciting this rebellion.”

I will say that we had a hard time figuring out who was who in the dark rooms and we haven’t rewatched those scenes, so we might be reading it incorrectly. But I don’t see how sending shinobi after Mariko benefits Ishido, and I do see how it benefits Toranaga.

I’m not asking for spoilers from folks who know for sure how it shakes out, just wondering if anybody else saw it the same way? I’ve read reviews and everyone seems to be blaming it on Ishido, and that never occurred to either of us as a real possibility. So now I wonder if I, too, have been 5D chessed.

The key element you and your wife are missing is Yabushige.

Earlier in the episode he receives a message from Ishido saying that his life will be spared... if he does one favor for him. Then later in the episode Yabu starts killing his own men unprovoked so he could go down sight unseen to unlock a side entrance that allowed the shinobi inside. So the favor Ishido had asked of Yabu was allowing the shinobi into the castle to do their thing and he not interfere.

Edit: For the record I'm not a book reader, that's just my analysis of what I saw in the episode. I don't know how similar or different things shake out in the book.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

But the whole point is that Mariko couldn't leave the castle. After she left, what happened to her was irrelevant.

The original argument as to why Ishido was keeping everyone hostage was because there was a Toranaga plot against the heir. If Mariko is permitted to leave, then every other hostage will ask to leave. Ishido can probably pressure people one on one to stay, but Mariko leaving precipitates everyone to ask to leave. So "killing her on the road" does nothing for him: it's not her death that he is interested in. It's not losing his grip on the other regents by losing the hostages.

I figure if he kills her on the road it establishes a different precarious state where everyone knows they could leave if they press the issue, but they will be murdered if they do, so no one does.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I figure if he kills her on the road it establishes a different precarious state where everyone knows they could leave if they press the issue, but they will be murdered if they do, so no one does.

That is the sort of thing you can do one at a time. Not everyone at a time.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Es_v1NlM0

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Ballz posted:

The key element you and your wife are missing is Yabushige.

Edit: For the record I'm not a book reader, that's just my analysis of what I saw in the episode. I don't know how similar or different things shake out in the book.

For all the different directions the previous episodes took from the book, this episode was mostly faithful to the source. Which created an added bonus for me because I genuinely didn't now if a thing would transpire as it does in the book, but I trust the show to know what it's doing even with changed elements.

For instance, in episode 8 Hiromatsu actually survives to the end of the book, so that was a shocker.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 17, 2024

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Based on his track record so far, Toranaga is gonna show up next episode in the coolest loving outfit anybody has ever seen and everybody agrees he can take over Japan because holy poo poo look at that outfit!

The shrine in Nikko dedicated to Tokugawa Ieyasu is notoriously blingy compared with the style of the time, so it fits. It's like his son took all the wrong lessons from daddy's fashion sense.

From wiki:

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 17, 2024

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Blue Scream posted:

I have not read the books at all but I agree with you on all points but after combing through several previous episodes I cannot find definitive proof either way. The shinobi do explicitly spare anyone they can. As they crept through the room with the guards, they simply checked everyone to see who it was. Only when the guard woke did they kill them. Not only did they spare the consort and the newest child of Toranaga, they spared everyone in that room after checking to see who they were.

There is no paper order for Yabushige. Only a verbal message. Yabushige is known to everyone, especially Toranaga, to play both sides and thus the easiest way to get the shinobi in is to offer Yabushige a supposed path out of his situation.

It would also seem to be strange for Ishido to sick the shinobi on them. If he was ok with Mariko dying, then why interrupt the Seppuku ritual? Why not just massacre them on the way out in the woods like he did Sugiyama and his entire retinue? Killing her with shinobi seems ridiculously obvious.

------

One thing I don't understand, and the past episodes don't make clear: When Ochiba is sitting in on the council after Mariko declares she will commit suicide since she is not allowed to leave, Ochiba declares that letting Mariko kill herself would result in a revolt from every high family. Why? It is made clear in episode 6 that all the high lords, especially the regents understand they are hostages during the play. Sugiyama openly declares in council that there is no plot against the heir and they are all hostages. The Daiyouin openly talks about the hostages and how they should be released before she has her stroke. So why would Mariko's death change anything? What does being the daughter of Akechi Jinsai, which she openly reminds everyone in episode 9, confer to her death that would outrage the lords enough take risks to revolt openly against Ishido. Would it be exceptionally shameful? I cannot find any real reason and I have combed through all the episodes starting from #5 when Mariko's backstory was first dropped. And it is clear Toranaga did send her to die so her death has some weird meaning above and beyond demonstrating the open secret that Ishido has confined the lords to Osaka.

And there is this innuendo about how Akechi specifically spared Mariko for "his plan" all along.

Maybe they will clarify this in the last episode.

joepinetree posted:

This further illustrates why it is unlikely for Ishido to have called in the Shinobi. He concedes defeat by allowing all families who apply for a permit to leave.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 17, 2024

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

While in line for the "what a twist!" thing, I just think a Toranaga false flag has too much potential for failure. But who knows, maybe they'll sell it well if it's that.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FuriousGeorge posted:

Blackthorne reaching through the wall to grab a ninja to shoot him through the wall was a badass move. That was a brutal episode, drat near Breaking Bad s4 finale levels of tension. RIP Mariko, you were too hot for the 17th century.

Lessons for gun shooters about cover vs concealment should now until the end of time feature John Blackthorne blasting ninjas on the other side of the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A great episode, but I just want to talk about how much I love when Yabu gets surprised, cocks his head to the side and says "oh?"