Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
All I'm gonna say is one side worships a guy who eats babies and it ain't the church

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do think it is funny how in Heart Gear all the female presenting gears have extremely horny designs. Like when Hildr removed her armor and revealed giant knockers and a big ole booty.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I do think it is funny how in Heart Gear all the female presenting gears have extremely horny designs. Like when Hildr removed her armor and revealed giant knockers and a big ole booty.

Hey hey, Hildr’s were obviously according to combat spec. Powerful protection bumpers. :v:
I’m disappointed the wide hipped one didn’t have a dumb rear end reason for looking like that.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This set it and forget it felt mildly uncomfortable. This stick thin girl wants to diet to look like the other stick thin girl. :psyduck:
But then she actually points out not eating is bad, only to try and stop herself from eating out of the name of dieting again a few pages later. But then she’s also exercising extra.
I’m all for getting into shape but this was pretty weird.
Or was it a translation thing?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's really weird having western pop artists doing anime OPs/EDs. Kajiu No. 8's ED by OneRepublic is the most Top40 station song maybe ever

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Not sure what motivated them to do that but they should've chosen a better song.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The ED is more listenable than the prototypical EDs I normally hear and then immediately skip but it feels weird hearing a really conventional English pop song as one.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Sakamoto and blue box both received anime pickups last fall didn't they? I'm assuming we'll see them during the fall season this year?

Internet Predator
Dec 27, 2007

I've strangled necks of ages with the fabric of new words. The fires were amazing. Why would you put those out?

Kingtheninja posted:

Sakamoto and blue box both received anime pickups last fall didn't they? I'm assuming we'll see them during the fall season this year?

I don't know about Blue Box, but Sakamoto hasn't had an anime adaption confirmed yet. Dandadan did though, at least (that's this fall season.)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Elusive Samurai also got an anime confirmation, set to air in July - but I don't think we've seen anything of it, yet.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Skeleton Double is so good

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

Skeleton Double is so good
The title drop went so hard this chapter.

This is a highly capable combat gear designed for defense. It is a heavily armored brick shithouse that held the line for hundreds of years.

This is a mobile assault-type combat gear. It is a brick house :quagmire: that heavily armored on it's limbs and on two points of contact for the torso to protect it's core. The extra synthetic muscles on the gluteous maximus and the thighs are probably for speed or something.

Clearly reducing the armor on the body to only critical places increases mobility.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 18, 2024

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

https://x.com/WSJ_manga/status/1780817011431317587

new schedule for ruri. hope the author can stay healthy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Internet Predator posted:

I don't know about Blue Box, but Sakamoto hasn't had an anime adaption confirmed yet. Dandadan did though, at least (that's this fall season.)

Blue Box was confirmed and dropped a preview. It's supposed to start in October.

Edit: And on the opposite end of the success spectrum, Shadow Eliminators is getting canned at chapter 19. Not a big surprise, but getting canned before volume 1 releases is a notable failure, even if it's not quite a U-19.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 19, 2024

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Watching the Kaiju 8's anime adaptation, I can't help but get a little frustrated all over again. It sucks watching shonen genre conventions throttling what could be a unique series.

All the things that made the comic stand out -- the older protagonist, the mundane absurdity of Kafka's cleaner job, the promise of normies coping in an insane world -- all these things are winnowed away in favour of a streamlined #Product. It's become Bleach in skintight robot pants.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Is that new manga by Tapioca’s first sin (or whatever the squid thing was called) and that other bullying and abuse manga?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Is that new manga by Tapioca’s first sin (or whatever the squid thing was called) and that other bullying and abuse manga?

Different pseudonym so unless they changed that, then no different authors. I wondered the same.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Darth TNT posted:

Tapioca’s first sin

lmao

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

Tapioca’s first sin

I like the pudding but I can see why others might not, no need to be so dramatic

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Sakamoto Days: I am both pleased and horrified that Mr. Takamura is back.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Sakamoto Days: I am both pleased and horrified that Mr. Takamura is back.

im happy he’s back but extremely terrified by the double whammy of Sakamoto becoming marked by the JAA and the only fucker in the manga who seems significantly stronger than him literally dropping in ten feet away.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sakamoto Day: The first person beheading is insane.

Got a good laugh at Nagumo going "why would the chairman go this far?" You were there, you know exactly why.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Absolutely bonkers ending to this week's UU. As for the new series, Kyokuto Necromance, it comes across as incredibly generic. I don't know who at SJ editorial is obsessed with secret monster hunters but they really need to back off.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Ruridragon's ending had me laughing. I guess she did ask, but what the hell's she supposed to do with that answer?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Once the goodwill from Tokyo Revengers runs out I don't think Astro Royale is staying long.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah its not looking good for either of the newcomers.
Next on the chopping block are green greens and dear anemone i feel.

UU: Feng is so much fun lmao

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Next on the chopping block are green greens and dear anemone i feel.

Trim the plants first, damnit, I'm real curious where GGG is gonna go after this arc

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pierson posted:

Once the goodwill from Tokyo Revengers runs out I don't think Astro Royale is staying long.

Apparently, the buzz in Japan has been alright, and this chapter struck me as... competent. It did what you need for a second chapter, establishing the changes to the world, the initial conflicts, and how the protagonist is going to operate.

Not saying I love it, or even that I like it. But compare it to how Kyokuto Necromance uses its pagespace, and the experience gap is obvious.

Not saying that guarantees success. But it's in a position that doesn't guarantee failure either.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I kinda hate the art style for tokyo revengers so it's hard to be objective about this new thing, but astro royale doesn't strike me as being that good

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

claw game handjob posted:

Trim the plants first, damnit, I'm real curious where GGG is gonna go after this arc

Yeah, I'm really enjoying GGG, too :sigh:

As for the new series, Kyokuto Necromance, it comes across as incredibly generic. I don't know who at SJ editorial is obsessed with secret monster hunters but they really need to back off.

Chasing that Demon Slayer high I guess. And Shadow Eliminators just ended, too, to the shock of no one

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Absolutely bonkers ending to this week's UU. As for the new series, Kyokuto Necromance, it comes across as incredibly generic. I don't know who at SJ editorial is obsessed with secret monster hunters but they really need to back off.

Everyone wants to make Bleach for some reason.

Except I guess Tite Kubo.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Everyone wants to make Bleach for some reason.

Except I guess Tite Kubo.

That or they want to make Jujutsu Kaisen again, to be fair. Come to think of it, the Necromancers having ghosts bound to jewelry that fight for them reminds me of the main character of Jujutsu Kaisen Zero. Though it could be convergent evolution from the Necromance/Aliens Area writer trying to copy Bleach and Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure simultaneously.

I like this better than Aliens Area, at least. The monster designs are cooler than anything I remember from Aliens Area, and the main character’s powers aren’t literally Luffy’s powers this time.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 22, 2024

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I kinda hate the art style for tokyo revengers so it's hard to be objective about this new thing, but astro royale doesn't strike me as being that good

I didn't say good. I said competent. They're not the same. It establishes the leads, shows their dynamics, gives the hero something to work towards, sets up some enemies (both immediate and arc based), clarifies some of the power system, and finishes the first fight. It's a clear, textbook chapter 2. I've seen them in flops, and I've seen awkward chapter 2s lead to success, but in general, this is how a chapter 2 functions in a series that's going to last.

It's less "I like this" and more "this isn't showing obvious signs of not getting to keep the audience that already likes the author's work".

Considering the current average sales figures in Jump, getting a bit over 1% of the Tokyo Revengers audience would be enough to survive.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Undead Unluck:

Undead Unluck

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sakamoto building that hype well this week.

Kagurabachi: Looks like that plant sorcerer guy in chapter 1 was mixed in with the crowd of goons, same hand tattoo. Also hype in its own way.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

I didn't say good. I said competent. They're not the same. It establishes the leads, shows their dynamics, gives the hero something to work towards, sets up some enemies (both immediate and arc based), clarifies some of the power system, and finishes the first fight. It's a clear, textbook chapter 2. I've seen them in flops, and I've seen awkward chapter 2s lead to success, but in general, this is how a chapter 2 functions in a series that's going to last.

It's less "I like this" and more "this isn't showing obvious signs of not getting to keep the audience that already likes the author's work".

Considering the current average sales figures in Jump, getting a bit over 1% of the Tokyo Revengers audience would be enough to survive.

my post wasn't directed at anyone, I just wanted to say how I felt about this new thing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
general question here: how many chapters do you generally give a series before you'll start reading it (assuming you like the content). I've mostly given up under 20 because I just can't be bothered with something so likely to be axed

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

From SJ if i like the premise even slightly ill add it to the list of things to read on sunday if it doesnt disappoint me in the first 10ish chapters

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jose posted:

general question here: how many chapters do you generally give a series before you'll start reading it (assuming you like the content). I've mostly given up under 20 because I just can't be bothered with something so likely to be axed

I don't have an exact number, but yeah I need some sort of sign the series just won't get unceremoniously axed one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unless the word of mouth is extremely good I'm just not going to bother with any of the new stuff TBH, until it at least gets past 20.