Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Pausing halfway through episode 2 to say I appreciate that even the Fallout show is glitching. Never seen anything like it before. The subtitles randomly make frames super impose over each other.

Anyway, the show's a fun enough time that I'll put my 2nd language English skills to the sub-less challenge. Be kind to me, Walton Goggins!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Attack on Princess posted:

Pausing halfway through episode 2 to say I appreciate that even the Fallout show is glitching. Never seen anything like it before. The subtitles randomly make frames super impose over each other.

Anyway, the show's a fun enough time that I'll put my 2nd language English skills to the sub-less challenge. Be kind to me, Walton Goggins!

He has a line in Ep 3 that had native English speaking Americans going 'wut?' but good luck!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

That's a lot of rationalization for why a 30 year old actor looks like he's 30 playing a 19 year old.

Next you'll be telling me that Thaddeus isn't actually 20 because his actor is 43.

Actors playing characters way younger than they are? Why I never!

Thaddeus’ actor I can buy, dude’s got a weird babyface.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Just realized a little sight gag with bud, the car we see him arrive to the vault tec office building foreshadows his future predicament. It has to be intentional

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Red Rox posted:

So in the big meeting of all the heads of industry, who was the shadowy figure that seemed to send Barb a message? Bud was losing control and Barb looked down at her pipboy then up at the figure then took over the meeting.

That was a big bad that they haven't cast yet, we'll probably first see him when they announce like "Clancy Brown has been cast as Mr. Vault, a mysterious and menacing new character in Amazon's hit show Fallout!"

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

BrotherJayne posted:

Bookmarking this.

Either you're wrong and it'll be awesome, or you're right and it'll br awesome

I'll hold you to it even though I'll hate whatever they come up with.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

Gary? Gary! Garrry?! Gaary?

E: this would also conveniently answer the question of longevity.

There is also the fire mother, could possibly refer to being a phoenix and rising from the ashes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tender Bender posted:

That was a big bad that they haven't cast yet, we'll probably first see him when they announce like "Clancy Brown has been cast as Mr. Vault, a mysterious and menacing new character in Amazon's hit show Fallout!"

"Howdy, I'm John Vault. That over there in the shadows is my friend, James Tec."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

"Howdy, I'm John Vault. That over there in the shadows is my friend, James Tec."

"Oh that happy chap over there is his Son Pip. Don't let his smile fool you, he's a real mean son o' bitch."

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just finished episode 4

Theres a moment when Lucy has to drink irradiated water out desperation

The focus of the episode is about her naive, sheltered morality being poisoned and polluted by the real world

So, some decent themes and symbolism going on in this show

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
We need to bring back or'nery as a slang term that can be anything from a polite euphamism to being from the country to a full blown C-word level invective.

e: Although looking at the time period where I'm familiar with that usage I'm worried there are strong racist connotations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Steve Yun posted:

Just finished episode 4

Theres a moment when Lucy has to drink irradiated water out desperation

The focus of the episode is about her naive, sheltered morality being poisoned and polluted by the real world

So, some decent themes and symbolism going on in this show

Well this is the Ghoul going out of his way to be lovely towards her, I think he's extra spiteful to her (pouring his clean water on the ground e.g.) because she's so clean and he wants to dirty her up. This thing between them operates on a lot of levels, it's not just the world, it's very personal between them (mostly from Howard though)
e: he says he's trying to educate her and in a certain sense, he does, but the majority is just him being enormously bitter and jaded by all the things he's done and seen and lived through

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 17, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Yeah the educational aspect only goes so far when he plans to sell her for her organs. It's not like the lessons would be useful to her for long.

I took 'now you're getting it' as her getting that he's going to treat her bad and that this has no happy ending.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

roomtone posted:

I dunno, it kind of worked for me because Maximus is actually pretty stupid so a sentence like that would probably twist his brain into knots at least in the moment. He also has the whole unquestioning thing going on, in a lot of ways he's still got the mind of a child when he and Lucy meet. You can see it by how much he smiles at the dumbest things relating to the power armor, it's really all he wants, some power. He definitely hasn't thought too deeply about the overall philosophy of the Brotherhood, and also, he's immediately attracted to Lucy and confused by this so he doesn't want to argue with her.

Maximus is also a child soldier, he's been raised since he was little to idealize and worship this now increasingly fascist and top-down org, lack of exposure to anything besides beatings and strict lessons. He doesn't even know how sex works. The routine hazing and strict discipline/ dogma is producing knights like Titus because of course it is.

He's a sad tale and a perfect example of Maxson's Brotherhood of Steel increasingly becoming an antagonistic force; only the strong survive, and you are strong if you have power armor. He's been taught to value strength above all else. For storytelling purposes, I find that it is the Commonwealth Brotherhood that is becoming an antagonist force back west to make perfect sense.

He's a better done Finn honestly, including his episodes of PTSD and delusions of grandeur.

I hope in the next season maybe Maximus meets the NV Brotherhood of Steel and they are less of Maxson's fascist bullshit, and maybe more Veronica at this point.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 17, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

Yeah the educational aspect only goes so far when he plans to sell her for her organs. It's not like the lessons would be useful to her for long.

I took 'now you're getting it' as her getting that he's going to treat her bad and that this has no happy ending.

I mean he's not surprised she makes it out but then he's not really surprised by much of anything, he looks almost disappointed or disgusted when she sees him again

TulliusCicero posted:

He's a better done Finn honestly, including his episodes of PTSD and delusions of grandeur.

yeah this is very fair.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Flesh Forge posted:

Well this is the Ghoul going out of his way to be lovely towards her, I think he's extra spiteful to her (pouring his clean water on the ground e.g.) because she's so clean and he wants to dirty her up. This thing between them operates on a lot of levels, it's not just the world, it's very personal between them (mostly from Howard though)
e: he says he's trying to educate her and in a certain sense, he does, but the majority is just him being enormously bitter and jaded by all the things he's done and seen and lived through

He refills the canteen from a dirty source, doesn't he?

As in, what was in there to begin with was dirty water

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

Well said.

TulliusCicero posted:

I hope in the next season maybe Maximus meets the NV Brotherhood of Steel and they are less of Maxson's fascist bullshit, and maybe more Veronica at this point.
Veronica would be in her early 40s at this point... as is Felica Day (the original voice actor) who does have a fair amount of on screen experience.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

TulliusCicero posted:

poo poo that'd be a cool twist.

In terms of power projection and longevity, the Maxson poo poo seems more effective. The Nevada chapter is almost dead after all.

But because of the vertical hierarchy of the Brotherhood, activity and behavior can be hugely shaped by singular individuals.

I kinda think Veronica is more likely to have abandoned the brotherhood though.

Rougey posted:

Veronica would be in her early 40s at this point... as is Felica Day (the original voice actor) who does have a fair amount of on screen experience.

Oh poo poo forget what I said, it'd be perfecf

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TulliusCicero posted:

Yeah, any sort of organisation if it wants to function well needs someone like Veronica, believes in the general cause but more than welling to callout bullshit. When all you have is people who are indoctrinated into it flaws just feaster and spread.

In fallout 1 it seems that even though there was a bit of bullshit with it's isolationist policies, some cult like features and what not, you did have a wide range of personalities and different parts of the BoS that had different goals and views, so as a whole it could keep itself in check.

Of course we've only seen the BOS from the TV show from Maximus point of view and the people in it he directly interacted with, so maybe he just got real unlucky and ended up in a really poo poo part of it. Although the shitness we did see seem to be normalised, so it seems unlikely the rest of the chapter is that great either.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 17, 2024

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

dr_rat posted:

Of course we've only seen the BOS from the TV show from Maximus point of view and the people in it he directly interacted with, so maybe he just got real unlucky and ended up in a really poo poo part of it. Although the shitness we did see seem to be normalised, so it seems unlikely the rest of the chapter is that great either.

If they sent the Prydwen all the way back, there's no other way I can think of to perceive it than Arthur at very least placing his thumb on the scale

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Tender Bender posted:

As a nice surprise, they should have a veteran adventuring party in S2 made up of the working Hollywood actors who did a quick VA gig for some 1997 video game and haven't thought about it since.

Clancy Brown, Keith David, and Tony Shalhoub all wandering the wastes together.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

grobbo posted:

As a nice surprise, they should have a veteran adventuring party in S2 made up of the working Hollywood actors who did a quick VA gig for some 1997 video game and haven't thought about it since.

At least a voice log from Keith David...

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

grobbo posted:

Michael Dorn

NEEDS To be Marcus

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BrotherJayne posted:

Yeah, the implication was that he's a son of a bitch, but not THAT much of a son of a bitch. If he didn't have to sell Lucy out to get his medicine he wouldn't, but he's still self-serving at the end of the day.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, the implication was that he's a son of a bitch, but not THAT much of a son of a bitch. If he didn't have to sell Lucy out to get his medicine he wouldn't, but he's still self-serving at the end of the day.

Good luck being not a self centered motherfucker after hundreds of years.

Never really understood how Harold was so mellow

Raul and Dean made way more sense to me

Said it once already but when the ghoul gets that one brother to go for his gun, I figured that wasn't the first or even third time someone he killed had a relative set to run him down later

BrotherJayne fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 17, 2024

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

BrotherJayne posted:

Oh poo poo forget what I said, it'd be perfecf

She can have still left The Brotherhood, maybe be living life as a rancher with a heavily scarred and mute woman (for bonus points) who raise bighorns and corn and have a couple of T-51b's in the basement.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Rougey posted:

She can have still left The Brotherhood, maybe be living life as a rancher with a heavily scarred and mute woman (for bonus points) who raise bighorns and corn and have a couple of T-51b's in the basement.

Oh poo poo she can end up mute? I thought she had to talk in that one ladies voice to open a lock to the vault

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BrotherJayne posted:

I assume by fallout 1 he'd already gone through a lot of poo poo, but then found himself a comparatively decent life so minor poo poo just bounced off. It's not actually that rare. I've talked to quite a few people who've been through terrible poo poo, but gotten through it found themselves in a good place and were just generally really mellow and happy. Obviously that's not everyone, and ongoing trauma is definitely a thing, but people can be surprisingly resilient.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Harold abides.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

BrotherJayne posted:

Good luck being not a self centered motherfucker after hundreds of years.

Raul and Dean made way more sense to me

Said it once already but when the ghoul gets that one brother to go for his gun, I figured that wasn't the first or even third time someone he killed had a relative set to run him down later

That scene made me flashback to Westworld - it was very Man in Black style. For a second I even thought it was a flashback, I kinda forgot which show I was watching for a second.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I just realized something about Episode 1. By the time The Ghoul is working kids' birthday parties with his daughter to pay alimony, he's split up with his wife because he knows she wants to end the world by dropping The Bomb. Then, when it drops, he knows she is responsible. He's seeing the machinations of his ex-wife destroy civilization.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

BrotherJayne posted:

Oh poo poo she can end up mute? I thought she had to talk in that one ladies voice to open a lock to the vault

Actually gently caress it, Laura Bailey voiced Royce/Vera Keys in Dead Money; having Day and Bailey being a pair of old Ex-Brotherhood types is too good an opportunity to pass up and really make some people eat crow.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Vorgen posted:

I just realized something about Episode 1. By the time The Ghoul is working kids' birthday parties with his daughter to pay alimony, he's split up with his wife because he knows she wants to end the world by dropping The Bomb. Then, when it drops, he knows she is responsible. He's seeing the machinations of his ex-wife destroy civilization.

Peeeeeeer the looooore it was China that fired first, so vault tec was more building up a stockpile when the poo poo kicked off. Of course, I think it was like 6am on the west coast oriole poo poo, peeeeeeer theeeeee loooooore

Rougey posted:

Actually gently caress it, Laura Bailey voiced Royce/Vera Keys in Dead Money; having Day and Bailey being a pair of old Ex-Brotherhood types is too good an opportunity to pass up and really make some people eat crow.

I'm here for it

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, any sort of organisation if it wants to function well needs someone like Veronica, believes in the general cause but more than welling to callout bullshit. When all you have is people who are indoctrinated into it flaws just feaster and spread.

You know, Arthur's ideology seems only a little more sustainable than Caesar's, so seeing the BoS eat poo poo is a possibility too. Although that flies in the face of all the love in Bethesda's heart for the big metal manly men

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Honestly I came into this series with zero expectations and but with the NV reveal and some of the speculation in this thread I'm now way too excited for my own good.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BrotherJayne posted:

You know, Arthur's ideology seems only a little more sustainable than Caesar's, so seeing the BoS eat poo poo is a possibility too. Although that flies in the face of all the love in Bethesda's heart for the big metal manly men

It's possible, but just from a writing standpoint (all eps) if one of your characters is from the BOS and naive about a lot of things, it make sense to have them run into another chapter and have their eyes opened about stuff. Although I guess you could do that by him going into the destroyed bunker as well and listening to the audio tapes everyone obviously left about. That's all assuming he ends up in New Vegas with the other two, but I think that's a pretty safe bet.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

BrotherJayne posted:

yeah he drinks groundwater but he makes her drink visibly worse quality than what he had.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

What's bothering me about the finale is the elderly feral Ghoul. She's hinted as being Lucy's mother right? Or is that just a Red Herring or what they mean is her mother ended up like that Ghoul?

Because I don't see why they'd have been creuly kept around for so long up to that point. And also why Hank doesn't seem to care either way.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Bright Bart posted:

What's bothering me about the finale is the elderly feral Ghoul. She's hinted as being Lucy's mother right? Or is that just a Red Herring or what they mean is her mother ended up like that Ghoul?

Because I don't see why they'd have been creuly kept around for so long up to that point. And also why Hank doesn't seem to care either way.

That's exactly who that was, yes. And Hank is an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
She had the same necklace, so I suppose it's her. The Red Flame was in love with her and a little insane.