Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

I'm finally giving this game a shot and am hooked (to the extent I have time for it). I started off with wanderer (?) start while a part of me wanted to do the Rebirth start. After about an hour I ended up restarting with the slave start.

It took me a bit to realize that my folks wouldn't starve at all while being slaves, which made me realize that it's like a work-study trip with a free extra character! I spent a few weeks of in-game time working, picking fights and losing them badly, and building up strength while sneaking around at night (and losing more fights when being caught). Eventually one of my folks was able to start making rounds at night knocking out guards, locking them up, and freeing other prisoners.

I found it a little odd that the holy nation folks would happily strip and shackle their former fellow guards just because they ended up in a cage, but hey, it got to the point where there were no free guards left outside of those who slept in the guard towers at the exits. No guards would be available to let slaves out to do work, so the area around any of the storm houses and the central statue basically just consisted of wandering freed slaves (some of them following me), stubborn slaves who didn't want to leave their unlocked cages, and imprisoned guards. At this point, I figured it's time to leave, so my main two folks (and a third who joined my party before we'd escaped) ran out the north gate after eating some food. Several freed slaves were right after us, and a few of them ended up keeping the attention of the guards. Once we were a safe distance down the road without any guards chasing us, four more former prisoners wanted to join up. I only took two, which is probably dumb because everyone was decently tough/strong at this point, but I didn't want to start out in the free world with a big crew.

The only map pin I had was the (safe)house, so we ran there, loaded up, slept a bit, and headed north. My group still had a few folks that looked like slaves, so I was a little hesitant about going into Flotsam Village before realizing what they're all about. I joined up, since we already had hefty bounties with the holy nation, and I'm down to fight them. I plopped a few refining structures right outside Flotsam Village to process materials without realizing that it would be enough of an outpost to attract a holy nation war party (whoopsy). The flotsam ninjas sent a squad to help defend, but my folks are far from well-armed or dangerous, and I won't have a wall set up before they arrive. I'm not letting my folks go back to Rebirth, so I think we'll just run back to nearby Flotsam Village, but I wish there was a way to tell the reinforcements to retreat as well, since I think they're going to get massacred.

I quit before the holy nation folks arrived, but future RIP new ninja friends defending a few refining objects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Finally giving this game a go - is there a good video guide with some stuff to do early game to get a feel for the mechanics?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

JosefStalinator posted:

Finally giving this game a go - is there a good video guide with some stuff to do early game to get a feel for the mechanics?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2951812219

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6HsDqyNkBo

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
There's a program that can help you learn the mechanics by just fiddling around with it for few hours.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

Go fight the first thing you find.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
My first character got so good at sneaking and KOing enemies from behind, looting their bodies and then selling their unconscious body to whichever non-UC faction would pay for them. Funded a lot of my early base building and npc recruitment that way.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BadLlama posted:

Where did this beak thing find a keyboard?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Relax. Enjoy death.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

zedprime posted:

Where did this beak thing find a keyboard?

From the skeletons, of course! Which is why we must purge them in the name of blessed Okran! AND subjugate women while we're at it! In this 150,000 word essay, I will

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So anyone got a good modlist for this?

I used to use the one from here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882213&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1, but it's been years since I played and so most of my mods are way old/broken.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You know how some games like Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld use the slogan "Losing is Fun"? Kenshi actually pulls that off, the way to win is to lose a lot

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Relax. Enjoy death.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, in what other game can you say the best way to train toughness is to tie yourself to a pole and let cannibals eat your limbs off?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The actual best way to do it is to head to a hungry bandit zone where they have like, 40 of the fuckers and spam get up. So long as you keep an eye on that coma threshold, you can do it with a solo character and level it up to 80 in like a minute.

Handy if you want to keep your fleshy limbs for RP purposes.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The flesh is weak, the iron is storng

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

I, too, love fighting the Gorillo Bandits.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BadLlama posted:

The flesh is weak, the iron is storng

My initiates had to build the components for their replacement limbs themselves so they would develop the skills to maintain them. Once the master limbsmith assembled these components into their final form the initiates would set out into the foglands for their promotion ritual.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's like that advice you get when you're going to prison: as soon as you get there find the biggest, strongest, meanest guy in the place and suck his dick immediately start a big fight with him

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Bought this game awhile back but never ended up firing it up until the start of this week. Big mistake.

I'm rolling in with no idea what the gently caress I'm doing but I'm having a blast. Have set up a large base a little West of the hub for all my crafting and farming needs.
In hindsight I didn't need nearly as much space as I thought I would and the big wall around just cooks the pathing of any caravans passing through but ah well.

Have just equipped my A-team with the best gear I can craft to go explore the world, and it turns out the world sucks. Blood spiders trying to eat my face. Holy nation lads getting REAL heated when I forget they don't like my mates. Acid rain melting my face. Slavers stealing my weapons and trying to abduct me anytime I take a nap, but the closest run in with death so far on my trek I would title Crab Island. These assholes were swarming everywhere and burst out of nearly every door I foolishly opened to try and get out of the weather. Luckily I brought some mercs who died valiantly facing off against a big mega crab while I grabbed some sweet loot and crawled away to safety.

BadLlama posted:

I waited until I had a crew of three and some weapons to fight a lonely bone dog which I thought would be overwhelming numbers enough to take it down. It was not.

ErKeL fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 2, 2024

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Kenshi rule number 1 - don't gently caress with animals. Even a goat will make you meet god.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I have seen a baby goat slowly beat a bandit to death.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ErKeL posted:

I'm rolling in with no idea what the gently caress I'm doing but I'm having a blast.

This is the right way to do it.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Decided to head all the way up North-West to the edge as I'd never been that way and search some ruins I had marked out for me. The route turned out a bit more treacherous than I imagined though.

Butchered my way through the foglands. I've experienced the nightmares this location has to offer and my squad's fairly adept at getting through this now without too much risk. After passing through Mongrel was a trek through the shrieking forest which was for the most part reasonably chill. I screamed at some dudes and they ran off, then another group attacked me as I was clearing out but luckily it was easily dispatched. Decided before I head towards the ruins I'd hit up the nearest village to get some rest. This is where I went wrong.

Turned out the closest village was full to the brim of cannibals and I didn't get by unnoticed. Put up a solid defence but their tactic of swarming me proved effective and in short time my entire squad found itself locked up in cages. The only ace I had up my sleeve was that my first character's primary skills are sneaking and lockpicking. I'd invested in these skills for stealing loot but this paid off in dividends today when he could finally play the hero. He unlocked himself first then worked his way around, administering first aid and unlocking everyone's cages to be ready for round 2. I made sure to unlock other cages that were holding shrieking bandits and berserkers as well. We've fought before but I felt in this instance they'd both accept a brief alliance. Round 2 now that I was ready was much more successful. It was a bloodthirsty battle but we managed to limp out of there with all our limbs attached, no one eaten and an opponent utterly incapable of mounting a counter attack.

We've come this far we might as well continue on to the ruins. Scouted a couple ruins for weapons and armour but nothing too exciting. A lot of security spiders but we planned our attacks well and dispatched them before they could do too much damage. The third ruin however was sitting in the water so we had to swim over to it. We got there and planned out our entry. Door opens and my sneak stepped inside. He was spotted immediately and out rushed like 10 spiders. I'm hosed. They sliced through our crew effortlessly with the water putting some of us at a distinct disadvantage. Everyone's down and we only dropped one spider which was rebooting unless someone could recover fast enough to start pulling some components from it. After their brutal rampage the spiders head off which was a huge wave of relief for us. They're getting distracted by some beak things. Fantastic! We might recover. My Shek recovered first and he began desperately pulling people from the water onto the second level inside so the bleeding could be staunched.

This part was time sensitive as most people were heavily wounded, so anyone still alive and able to crawl was put to the task of bandaging. Another threat I didn't anticipate was the Beak things the spiders attracted were now interested in the unconscious bodies floating in the water. They were hungry. By pure miracle the spiders returned to focus on the Beak things and I managed to pull the last person at risk of being eaten onto the second level to safety. We laid out bed rolls and tried to rest up. We made it through with no losses except a couple missing legs but overall I'll take it as a success. Assuming I can get us out of here after this.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Hooray now you can get awesome robot legs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
I've finally succeeded in making a cheesy water gated Shem base and leaned hard onto the Recruitable Prisoners mod to line the turrets with recruited headless skeleton minions from Venge. Now I have a safe base to mass produce hashish and have started branching out to raid ruins for more AI cores. :3:

The eventual goal is taking over the entire continent (of course) but for now building a cozy little oasis is scratching my gaming itch.