Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Dark Crystal show was good and did some unexpected things, the one problem is the one all heavily serialized streaming shows have where episodes feel a little overlong because they don’t quite know how to pace out the story.

It does help that while the pacing ain't great it's just fun to watch all the puppets and suit actors and animatronics move about in their elaborate soundstage world so you don't mind a lot of scenes running twice as long as they need to. And also most of the most indulgent storytelling choices lead back to more Skeksis bits.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah like if nothing else you see a lot of what the Jim Henson Company can do nowadays and it’s quite impressive.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Ambitious Spider posted:

I was the first one to turn 17 in my group so I bought us all tickets to see hannibal. The manager carded us in the very long line, and one of us being old enough was not enough, we had to call one of our dads to come with. From a payphone!

17 is the minimum age, if anyone's younger than that you just need someone 21 or older. By me we don't insist it's a parent since it's a common cultural thing here for the parents/grandparents have the oldest sibling or cousin in charge of the movie outing.

Kvlt! posted:

your description is ringing a serious bell in my head too ima dig a little more

Same here. I'd need more detail since I can think of some where it's some of that but not all.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

appreciate you. my buddy also said the end came down to the two girls of the group and the killler got pushed into some vials/whatever he was trying to kill them with.

Dark Floors
Amusement
Captivity
Trackman
The Sick House

any of these maybe?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

My vote goes to Unicron from Transformers (1984); it is so big and so ominous, and moves with such industrial pain as it... processes an entire planet. That opening 3 minutes is literal nightmare fuel, like Junji Ito was invited to do the cold open.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lo7JPLJUUU
(warning: flashing lights :catdrugs: )

Said it before but TFTM had some gnarly kills for a Buy More Toys movie. Like, here's Starscream dying in agony and crumbling into his own boots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4iwY2LXhz0

(Also I've always liked that the crown bouncing down the stairs is some of the best animation in the whole movie)

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Still bullshit that Dark Crystal AoR was able to win an Emmy as a loving puppet show and Netflix pulled the plug on it after just one season but give us five loving seasons of Fuller House

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Speaking of good kid's horror, (both) Dark Crystals were good kid's horror.

The Storyteller too, if anyone remembers that other Jim Henson kids puppet show.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

todays kids horror is just having to sit through a whole movie LMAO (no seriously my siblings have kids and their attention spans have me fearful for the future)

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Throw me on the pile of people praising Netflix Dark Crystal. It’s a shame it’s a one and done season but at the same time you can just extrapolate a lot of how it leads into the movie so it’s a little better than the usual cut off with a cliffhanger type poo poo.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I forgot how great The First Purge is. Love that the franchise's response to the Trump era was straight up "The Purge is ethnic cleansing, there are no good white people, the funny costumes are cop uniforms with gimp masks modified to look like sambo faces, Nazi regalia and Klan robes now."

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 17, 2024

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Nikumatic posted:

Throw me on the pile of people praising Netflix Dark Crystal. It’s a shame it’s a one and done season but at the same time you can just extrapolate a lot of how it leads into the movie so it’s a little better than the usual cut off with a cliffhanger type poo poo.

Though you can tell that the show was setting up a reworking of the film where the Gelflings aren't as almost completely exterminated.

I'm not surprised it was cancelled. I like The Dark Crystal but I'll be the first to admit that 10 hours of Dark Crystal prequel/possible reboot is a pretty niche thing. No mass audience was going to embrace that.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 17, 2024

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

High Warlord Zog posted:

What PG spooky film or show has the best creature design? My gut pick is The Other Mother from Coraline.

The mysterious stranger from the adventures of mark twain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ntf5_ue2Lzw

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Josh from the original commented on this after seeing it promoted on Variety with his pic from the film included https://www.instagram.com/p/C5oesR_JjFt/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Joshua Leonard posted:

GOING PUBLIC w/this and would appreciate the amplification!

So, this is MY face on a press release for a film being made by two major studios - both I’ve worked for, both I respect. The WEIRD PART is that I didn’t know anything about it until a friend sent me a ‘congrats’ screenshot yesterday.

My frustration is compounded b/c I’ve been trying to get @lionsgate to engage for over a month about a BWP charity screening I’m putting together for @opositivefest to raise money for artists without healthcare, and NO ONE will get back to me.

And yes, I’ve been thinking a lot about this time, after seeing my BWP collaborators recently and sharing memories… sweet AND hosed-up ones.

FACT: In 1999, BWP’s OG distributor claimed to have released the most profitable independent film ever (bought for 1M, grossed 250M+), while internally they told us that they were actually losing money from marketing expenses... so WE might wind up owing THEM $.

FACT: because we used our real names in the first film, the studio claimed copyright. We had to take them to federal court to win OUR NAMES back.

FACT: a Hollywood insider told the press that we (actors) were paid 4M dollars as a buyout for our ownership points, while in reality, we made 300k... and NEVER saw another dime. (After buying a car and paying off his student loans, Mike was back moving furniture within 12 months of the release, while still on magazine covers.)

There were many factors that made BWP a success: timing, marketing, etc. But there was also the FACT that us weirdos got together, with virtually no resources, AND MADE A FILM THAT WORKED! Can we just go on record and say that the film itself is a huge part of why we’re still talking about it 25 years later?

I’m so proud of our little punk-rock movie, and I LOVE the fans who keep the flames burning. But at this point, it’s 25 years of disrespect from the folks who’ve pocketed the lion’s share (pun intended) of the profits from OUR work, and that feels both icky and classless.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

High Warlord Zog posted:

What PG spooky film or show has the best creature design? My gut pick is The Other Mother from Coraline.

The Gillman from Monster Squad strikes a nice balance between the original design (which is also great) and a bit weirder/spookier vibes of a deep sea fish. I like the mummy design in that, too, especially since they execute the gag of him literally just being a wrapped up skeleton that can fall apart.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

High Warlord Zog posted:

Any of the monsters from The Gate, including a bunch of amazing puppet, rubbersuit, stopmotion and forced perspective stuff. That shot where one monster falls over and explodes into dozens of little versions of itself with no cut still absolutely blows my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYPfr1tBKz4

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Any of the monsters from The Gate, including a bunch of amazing puppet, rubbersuit, stopmotion and forced perspective stuff. That shot where one monster falls over and explodes into dozens of little versions of itself with no cut still absolutely blows my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYPfr1tBKz4

https://youtu.be/4fiom5oWIdw?si=emDQV-vI91hPPCVB

These guys discuss The Gate in the first part. Really fascinating stuff.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

High Warlord Zog posted:

I forgot how great The First Purge is. Love that the franchise's response to the Trump era was straight up "The Purge is ethnic cleansing, there are no good white people, the funny costumes are cop uniforms with gimp masks modified to look like sambo faces, Nazi regalia and Klan robes now."

All the Purges except for the first movie are actually pretty decent

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I hesitate to even call the PURGE series horror, because each entry is better than the last, in contravention of horror standards

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Goddamn the marketing has got me so hyped for this movie. All the teasers are inscrutable but amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORe5cAnpTFQ

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

trip9 posted:

Goddamn the marketing has got me so hyped for this movie. All the teasers are inscrutable but amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORe5cAnpTFQ

I don't have a single inkling what the movie is about but every teaser they've released unsettles me on a very deep level.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R42IuN-akdI

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Of all the Game of Thrones actors, it's surprised me that Nikolaj Coster-Waldau hasn't had a bigger international career. Very handsome, great voice, pretty flawless accent.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hearing him speak Danish is like hearing Peter Stormare speak Swedish. I know he's a Dane but I've seen him in so many more American roles that hearing him in his mother tongue feels weird.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hearing him speak Danish is like hearing Peter Stormare speak Swedish. I know he's a Dane but I've seen him in so many more American roles that hearing him in his mother tongue feels weird.

that's what i felt like when i saw Rutger Hauer in Spetters

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

As one of the 5 people who watched New Amsterdam, I've been a fan of Coster-Waldau for a while.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Does this have anything to do with the incredibly cool (but uncompleted) trilogy of Russian Vampires vs. Other, More Evil Vampires movies from the mid-00's? Because I desperately wanted to see the third film but it just ends on a cliffhanger on the 2nd one and there's no conclusion.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 17, 2024

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

davidspackage posted:

Of all the Game of Thrones actors, it's surprised me that Nikolaj Coster-Waldau hasn't had a bigger international career. Very handsome, great voice, pretty flawless accent.

yeah its really strange, but even so no one from that GoT cast really pushed past the levels they were at at the shows peak. Nikolaj does do a lot of VOD action movies some are pretty good. The one where he does an accidental vehicular manslaughter and then goes to prison where he becomes a gang leader is pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQxjyRr9k2E

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

todays kids horror is just having to sit through a whole movie LMAO (no seriously my siblings have kids and their attention spans have me fearful for the future)

I rolled my eyes when people said the absolute glut of information from constant screens all around people would cause short attention spans but I found myself a few years ago not being able to read a book or finish watching a movie without just pulling up the Wikipedia page and reading the summary. I had to train myself to stop that. Realizing that influence, it makes sense people are okay with AI generated slop if their only real interaction with media at this point is Wikipedia plot summaries

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does Nikolaj Coster-Waldau still do that thing where his eyes...dislocate? I can't figure out a better way to describe it, but in Game of Thrones whenever he'd hear distressing news he'd do this weird thing with his eyes.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

davidspackage posted:

I imagine that once you're in a TV show that drops the ball that bad that it becomes a cultural moment of universal mocking you probably have trouble getting parts due to association. Even worse if a bunch of actors and actresses associated with you go on to do terrible projects right afterwards.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Game of Thrones is up there with Star Wars in terms of "massive franchises that murdered the careers of everyone involved unless they're already established stars".

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He wasn't main cast but I think Pedro Pascal ended up the best after GoT.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
most of game of thrones was in alien 3

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

most of game of thrones was in alien 3

Yeah they kinda came as a packaged deal and apparently they're pretty tight nit in the UK acting scene. They also enabled Florence Pugh's career through her brother being part of that in crowd.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Probably helps that he shows up. Is one of maybe 10 people in the entire series who isn't a horrible rear end in a top hat, dies almost immediately but only after having a very cool fight scene.

He's in the show just long enough to leave a strong impression.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
pedro ended up in star wars so his fate is sealed

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You spend a long time on a hit show getting typecast in the minds of a lot of industry and fans. Maybe you get offers for movies but tv schedule fucks with that or the movie franchise you’re already committed to. By the time it’s all over your star has already begun to fade a bit and if you’re one of an ensemble there’s only so much work to go around. Most of the audience moves on to whatever else while an obsessive fanbase still clings to your old role. And you probably made decent money so the need to take less than ideal jobs isn’t big.

I dunno. It doesn’t strike me as that odd that the majority of GoT regulars haven’t become A list Hollywood stars. For every George Clooney there’s a probably 5 David Carusos.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Bella Ramsey seems to be doing well too.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The only two horror movies for me to see this weekend are either Late Night with The Devil or Abigail, both which don't really pull me in from what I've seen. If I do go see Abigail, however, I can see it in the Showcases Xplus screen which is a giant rear end laser screen with Dolby Atmos. The Abigail trailer just makes the film seem so bad, though. Anyone seen it yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Bella Ramsey seems to be doing well too.

Yeah, they're gaining but with children it's hard to say whether they're gonna end up having a strong career into adulthood. They really stood out so I'm glad they're getting opportunities now.

I think the obvious standout from the actual main cast is Dinklage, but ultimately Hollywood is Hollywood and I don't think there will be that many roles for a little person as a lead. I'm glad he's got some clout out of that whole mess too, he's got a good presence and can actually act.