Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

PoundSand posted:

Does the tutorial even really show you anything? Admittedly I think I saw a streamer play the game once before I picked it up but the mechanics are fairly self explanatory. IIRC it forces you to play specific hands during ante 1, makes you buy the basic joker first shop, and then fucks off.

that's pretty much it, but at the same time it's short, simple, and explains the game's limited mechanics well enough that it's worth being seen, imo. it's a very natural introduction to the game's basic mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nemo2342 posted:

Pretty much what I did after I lucked into an early Pair of Pants and a Baseball Card. Just 2 Pair + Stone until victory.

Spare Pants is one of the best use cases for Obelisk though, just stop playing two pairs sometime in Ante 7 and you can rack up a big obelisk multiplier while keeping all the pants bonuses you've accumulated.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PoundSand posted:

Does the tutorial even really show you anything? Admittedly I think I saw a streamer play the game once before I picked it up but the mechanics are fairly self explanatory. IIRC it forces you to play specific hands during ante 1, makes you buy the basic joker first shop, and then fucks off.

Mostly but I didn't want to over explain

My wife doesn't play games that aren't Mario or Animal Crossing and is excited for it lol so guess she's getting it on the Switch

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

I took a round 8 Hieroglyph and it didn't change the final boss so I have a round 7 Amber Acorn.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Kuros posted:

I took a round 8 Hieroglyph and it didn't change the final boss so I have a round 7 Amber Acorn.

I took a round 9 Hieroglyph and had to fight Amber Acorn. :v:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

MJeff posted:

I took a round 9 Hieroglyph and had to fight Amber Acorn. :v:

I still had to fight the Bell next round.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

the holy poopacy posted:

Spare Pants is one of the best use cases for Obelisk though, just stop playing two pairs sometime in Ante 7 and you can rack up a big obelisk multiplier while keeping all the pants bonuses you've accumulated.

But by that point I didn't NEED to switch since I'd already had to build myself around having a "dead" joker slot. I can certainly see the idea behind the Monolith, switching it in mid-game when you're starting to fall off and need that XMult, but for the challenge it's just kind of a dud.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

No Wave posted:

Idk why there's so much confusion when it comes to obelisk. For that challenge play pair until ante 6 then switch to high card+any two pairs or three of a kinds you luck into. Obelisk will be 4xing you by the end.

This is exactly what I did for my gold sticker Obelisk run, although I forget if it was ante 6 or ante 5 that I pivoted. Get a big lead on pairs, then play anything but a high card/pair > high card and you're set:

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
was finally able to beat orange deck after trying for like a week - was lucky enough to get Madness in an early ante, then perm versions of Greedy, Gluttonous, and Erosion. was a really nice synergy to feed Erosion by selectively deleting spades & hearts with Hangman tarots, mass deleting batches of cards with the Immolate spectral, and whittle down the deck so I was always +multing on diamonds and clubs

during this run of trying to beat orange, I rolled so many god drat Sixth Sense jokers it became my most hated joker by far. is there any good strat for Sixth Sense or is mostly just a gently caress you with a consolation that you can get a few spectals out of it

Whistling Asshole fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 17, 2024

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Caught onto some nice new tech with red polysteel kings but drat, beating this blind could have kept things going for a while if I got lucky with the upcoming negatives. Lost the +5 hand size joker and really needed a replacement.

Curious what the optimal take is for vouchers. It does seem like the double tarot/planet ones are actually bad in a long game, but will they just keep showing up in the shop potentially if I don't buy em?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

was finally able to beat orange deck after trying for like a week - was lucky enough to get Madness in an early ante, then perm versions of Greedy, Gluttonous, and Erosion. was a really nice synergy to feed Erosion by selectively deleting spades & hearts with Hangman tarots, mass deleting batches of cards with the Immolate spectral, and whittle down the deck so I was always +multing on diamonds and clubs

during this run of trying to beat orange, I rolled so many god drat Sixth Sense jokers it became my most hated joker by far. is there any good strat for Sixth Sense or is mostly just a gently caress you with a consolation that you can get a few spectals out of it

If you’re strong enough to take it (especially in a high card build) generally one proc makes it worth it imo, but that’s a big conditional especially if you have to sell out of something to pick it up

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Eschatos posted:

Curious what the optimal take is for vouchers. It does seem like the double tarot/planet ones are actually bad in a long game, but will they just keep showing up in the shop potentially if I don't buy em?

Double tarot is great at higher stakes (in my iOS expensive packs version, idk about patched) and double planets are rear end

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

If you’re strong enough to take it (especially in a high card build) generally one proc makes it worth it imo, but that’s a big conditional especially if you have to sell out of something to pick it up

Yeah, Sixth Sense is fine for a little bit of deck thinning + a couple odd spectral cards but it's pretty much only worth having until you find 5 worthwhile jokers. There are some econ jokers that are worth hanging on to over middling build pieces but Sixth Sense is not one of them.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Power of Pecota posted:

Double tarot is great at higher stakes (in my iOS expensive packs version, idk about patched) and double planets are rear end
If you got constellation and telescope double planets can help a run beat ante 8 p well but yeah it's mostly a dud roll and certainly not very useful for going infinite.

e: as a side note I just had a funny gold stake run (old patch on switch) where I had a strong start with the squarepants jokers, stumbled into wee on ante 3, quickly picked up a hack and brainstorm, and just scaled wee joker to the moon off two pair and full houses (ditched square at somepoint for a simple 2x joker). By Ante 8 boss wee was over 1k chips was truly a thing you can do in the game. Been a while since I beat gold stake with a more complicated hand than pair or high card so it was a nice feeling to do it with full houses.

PoundSand fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 17, 2024

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Does anyone know if using a planet card you got from a blue seal (beta patch) on the payout screen will allow it to show up in the shop? I haven't paid enough attention to notice.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The hunt is over, I got into high Es. Blueprint and Brainstorm on Baron, which had to be on the left for Brainstorm to work, which aside from a handful of non-red-seal kings was the only thing keeping me from going to whatever the end of Balatro is.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
I kinda like the certificate card with the new blue seals. It gives a bit of econ, a bunch of tarots for econ/deck growth, and scales your chosen hand. I picked up an early eternal half joker, added an eternal certificate to it on a lark, used the blue seal cards to scale pair and the gold seal cards to get my econ going, and over time added eternal madness and eternal constellation. By the end I was picking up 2 pair planets at the end of each round to scale my base chips/mult and constellation, ~3 tarots a round, a pile of cash from the various gold cards the tarots were giving me, and then cycling through the store for 3-4 more planets and any useful tarots in the packs.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Roseo posted:

I kinda like the certificate card with the new blue seals. It gives a bit of econ, a bunch of tarots for econ/deck growth, and scales your chosen hand. I picked up an early eternal half joker, added an eternal certificate to it on a lark, used the blue seal cards to scale pair and the gold seal cards to get my econ going, and over time added eternal madness and eternal constellation. By the end I was picking up 2 pair planets at the end of each round to scale my base chips/mult and constellation, ~3 tarots a round, a pile of cash from the various gold cards the tarots were giving me, and then cycling through the store for 3-4 more planets and any useful tarots in the packs.

I actually really like Certificate just because it's a +1 to your hand size for the first hand, which I've found useful if playing for pairs/three of a kind. It's terrible if you're looking for hands that benefit from deck thinning, but it certainly has it's place (especially paired with the jokers that scale by you adding cards to your deck).

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

for a fun and easy run:

7LB2WVPK with erratic deck

no idea how people find these seeds lol

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

I actually really like Certificate just because it's a +1 to your hand size for the first hand, which I've found useful if playing for pairs/three of a kind. It's terrible if you're looking for hands that benefit from deck thinning, but it certainly has it's place (especially paired with the jokers that scale by you adding cards to your deck).

Spare Trousers/Negative Satellite/Lucky Cat/Certificate/Hologram/Baseball Card was one of the most fun runs I've had

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Wait, double planets is bad for infinite? That makes.... Very little sense.

I mean, if you don't already have your multi trigger setup going, I would probably agree, but if you are triggering multiple times on a given hand, then raising your base number and chips should raise your eventual number more than anything.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

More planets in the shop just means it is harder to find the jokers/tarots you need for a typical higher ante run. Wasting rerolls because you have a shop full of Neptunes when all you want is a Death sucks.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Yeah, I think the sweet spot for the planet voucher is when you only intend to beat Ante 8 and you've already got the jokers you think will take you there. That makes it pretty niche, bad in the early stakes, and short lived even when it's useful.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
We really need a banish for Vouchers. I've had runs that had legs die because "Oh boy it's the card voucher for the third ante in the row, don't you want to dilute your shop with loving playing cards?" Same option as a purchase, same cost, but instead it banishes it from the shop and you never see it again.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Heavy_D posted:

Yeah, I think the sweet spot for the planet voucher is when you only intend to beat Ante 8 and you've already got the jokers you think will take you there. That makes it pretty niche, bad in the early stakes, and short lived even when it's useful.

Well, again, I assume that you already have an engine going.

Planets should be good early and they should be good late.

Like, if you already have a billion steel/glass cards in your deck, then raising your base number (and your chips) should make your score grow exponentially.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

More planets in the shop just means it is harder to find the jokers/tarots you need for a typical higher ante run. Wasting rerolls because you have a shop full of Neptunes when all you want is a Death sucks.

I was thinking about this the other day. I typically get vouchers when I can afford them but the x2 non-joker card ones feel highly situational.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I was thinking about this the other day. I typically get vouchers when I can afford them but the x2 non-joker card ones feel highly situational.

I usually pick up the Tarot voucher because most of the Tarot cards are far more useful in the consumables area than having to use them on opening an Arcana Pack.

I agree that the Planets and Cards ones are very situational. I don't usually take them unless I already have a great setup or specific decks that benefit from planets or extra cards.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Veryslightlymad posted:

Like, if you already have a billion steel/glass cards in your deck, then raising your base number (and your chips) should make your score grow exponentially.

Okay but that's the problem, planets don't scale exponentially, they scale linearly.

Like yes, the first couple of planets are a boon. You have a High Card lvl 1 and increase it to 2: it gives you effectively x3 chips and x2 mult (assuming you don't have any jokers that are +chip or +mult). That's good value! But increasing from say, 19 to 20 is much worse. You go from 185 chips to 195, and 19 mult to 20. That's...approximately a 5% increase for both. That's not going to get you a single blind further in endless. And it'll only get worse and worse the deeper in you get.

I don't think its worth it to permanently clog up your shop with more planets unless like, you literally have the perfect joker setup, because even a single extra baron/mime/whatever is gonna do much more for you.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Magic Trick is good if you're rocking a high card/pair build and have Hologram as a xMult joker.

I'd still like to see the Magic Trick voucher to change to: Allows for playing cards to show up in the shop with one of the following: Edition, Enhancement, or Seal. Cards cost $2 each. All cards that show up in shop will have one effect.

Keep Illusion the same, and have cards with two effects cost $3 and cards with all three effects cost $4.

The ability to start getting cards with effects is better than plain cards.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well I got my wife addicted to Balatro and now she has it on the Switch

The only other game she plays is Animal Crossing :v:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

All I want is to get Blueprint and DNA in the same game

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

smoobles posted:

I actually got that the other day but then completely failed to find anything to give me a card worth duping

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Veryslightlymad posted:

The benefits get marginal real fast. Like yeah I never mind seeing a planet card for a hand I'm using but without the planet xmult joker the vast majority of them will always be worthless no matter your deck or strategy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Squibbles posted:

I actually got that the other day but then completely failed to find anything to give me a card worth duping

I got a polychrome Baron and a spectral pack that duplicated it, then immediately lost the game because I didn't draw any kings. It was mid way through Ante 2.

That one hurt.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

smoobles posted:

I will always auto buy blueprint. I had a pretty nice run with it the other day in combo with throwback.

Throwback for me is like the perfect sweet spot of having pumpable xMult, while having some potential risk to it. A lot of the other cards of that genre can be like walking on an eggshells, like monolith or ramen.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

My green gold stake run had a perishable Blueprint around Ante 6. After figuring out my average hand score total, I played a couple more rounds then skipped to Ante 8 boss to have the last round available to win.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I had three runs in a row where I got rad joker enhancements on a Gros Michel joker. That's roguelike, baby.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Gros Michel More like get this card away from me

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

smoobles posted:

I had that. One red steel turns into two in hand and both trigger on scoring, it's dope.

Still didn't get my 100M though. Is it plasma deck? Does the balance start to tap out in higher antes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

If you can't handle me at my Gros Michel you don't deserve me at my Cavendish.