Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The main games went for immersion over quick starts. For the longest time the best practice for fallout 4 was to have a savegame right before you exit into the main world and add mods to that save. Thankfully there are a lot of alternate options for quickstarting now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Blasting the poo poo out of the fashy techno-fetishists who just massacred a bunch of militiamen for posessing a wasteland-changing technology also gains him some karma.

Now he's vilified by the community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_jdMd9rRyA

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Like the fate of the NCR, it's not exactly clear what happened yet. It's not like Bethesda is against retcons but this would be a huuuuuge one.

You're talking about people who put down that the NCR blew up in 2277 on a black board, did a close up on said black board to really emphasis that time specifically, but still say the events of New Vegas are still cannon.

Are you really banking on them respecting consistency, when Beth don't even know what the word means?

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 17, 2024

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I hope we see some god. drat. zetans next season.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

I hope we see some god. drat. zetans next season.

Evil aliens? Bah, they don't exists. Follow the path of Hubology my friend. We need to go to the stars and find heaven amongst them!

(I could actually see Hubologists turning up for a scene or two of comic relief if they get three seasons, along with Children of Atom, as weird post-Apocalypse cults are always a bit of fun, as they've already shown.)

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Back Hack posted:

You're talking about people who put down that the NCR blew up in 2277 on a black board, did a close up on said black board to really emphasis that time specifically, but still say the events of New Vegas are still cannon.

Are you really banking on them respecting consistency, when Beth don't even know what the word means?

So you really should take another good look at that blackboard... also:

Arc Hammer posted:

Ep6-8

https://twitter.com/TKsMantis/status/1780633238651978095?t=G3Li8Mqi2yLVa7brkzloSA&s=19

New Todd Howard interview confirms Shady Sands was nuked after New Vegas, not before.

EDIT: so it's pretty much confirming that the "Fall of Shady Sands" is the series of events (like the Fall of Rome) which culminate in the nuking, but what we know is it began in 2077 (with the battle of Hoover Dam), the NCR Capitol gets relocated (probably somewhere more central/less radioactive), and that the city got nuked in 2282 (After the second battle of Hoover Dam) at the earliest.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 17, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So what actually happened at the end of New Vegas was a Dragon Break. So all the endings occurred at once in some sort of timey whimey nonsense. Also the NCR was blowed up a few years before. The Dragon Break did it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

counterfeitsaint posted:

So what actually happened at the end of New Vegas was a Dragon Break. So all the endings occurred at once in some sort of timey whimey nonsense. Also the NCR was blowed up a few years before. The Dragon Break did it.

House reactivates Akulakhan to fend off Liberty Prime from the strip

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Episode 6 spoilers.

I read the IGN article and just rewatched the blackboard scene. So you have a few different events, each with a short description and a year listed. The last one just says "Fall of Shady Sands" 2277, and then there's an arrow to the mushroom cloud, which lacks any kind of date at all. I guess the "Fall" is vague as poo poo nonsense that wasn't ever clearly mentioned in New Vegas. Some of the events are pretty arbitrary, yet they have a precise date. What exactly is the fall of shady sands, and why can it be accurately traced to 2277 as opposed to 2278 or 2276? The same thing could be said for the NCR becoming the economic powerhouse of the west coast, which they're also able to attribute to a specific year. Both of these things probably took place slowly over a few years. However, nuking the city, an event that has a very, very specific time that it occurred, didn't get a date on the blackboard. It's probably the only thing on the blackboard that they know without any doubt the date of.

The short version is the scene is misleading and vague, either on purpose or through incompetence. Probably on purpose. But if they want to be vague why give interviews a week later clearing things up?

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 17, 2024

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Kangaroo Jerk posted:

Hi, all. I just started the first episode and got about halfway through before having to take an emotional break. The massacre of the Vault Dwellers seemed set up in a way that made me feel like I was supposed to laugh at these loser nerds all getting killed by raiders with casual, but brutal contempt. To think you’re going to start a new life with someone who promptly wipes his wet dick on your curtains, wtf?
I’ve played Fallouts I, II, III, New Vegas, and IV, and it’s one thing to read “her childbearing days are over” after a groin shot and chuckle, and to watch a sympathetic supporting character lose her husband to raiders and get poo poo stuck in her eye.

It just feels too edgy for me. Am I totally missing something for stopping as soon as that act was over? Is there a little bit of hope in this series? Or is it just a sequence of supporting characters being built up and then dismembered by a Deathclaw because “this is fallout world, pucker up buttercup?”

I honestly don't understand how you could be a fan of the games if you are this sensitive to over the top violence

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was Shady Sands even in New Vegas? I never got super deep into new vegas, and I assumed it was a place you could go in the game and that's why people are upset. But it seems like it's only mentioned by one person.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Cojawfee posted:

Was Shady Sands even in New Vegas? I never got super deep into new vegas, and I assumed it was a place you could go in the game and that's why people are upset. But it seems like it's only mentioned by one person.

Shady Sands is from the first Fallout.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Accipiter posted:

Shady Sands is from the first Fallout.

Yeah, I know that. But people are acting like the events from the show erase New Vegas from canon.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If there were fans who were freaking out because they thought the destruction of Shady Sands retconned out the events of New Vegas then they're going to rage post all over Reddit when they find out which of the multiple endings the show decides is the real one next season.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, I know that. But people are acting like the events from the show erase New Vegas from canon.

People are idiots.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Rougey posted:

So you really should take another good look at that blackboard... also:

It's very clear from the context of that episode and the episode before it, and the big arrow pointing to a nuclear explosion on the blackboard, the nuclear explosion is why Shady Sands fell on 2077 2277.

Rougey posted:

EDIT: so it's pretty much confirming that the "Fall of Shady Sands" is the series of events (like the Fall of Rome) which culminate in the nuking, but what we know is it began in 2077 (with the battle of Hoover Dam), the NCR Capitol gets relocated (probably somewhere more central/less radioactive), and that the city got nuked in 2282 (After the second battle of Hoover Dam) at the earliest.

You're moving heaven and earth here to come up with a lot of excuses for Beth, when this is clearly something they hosed up and they're never going to explain because, again I can not emphasize this enough, they don't care about consistency. You have already put more thought into this than they have.

Occam's razor says they made a mistake about the date because no cared enough to check and Shady Sandy is in LA now because they retcon it to be for the same reason. They don't care. And more importantly, they don't have to care anymore because everything and everyone that that came before has been made redundant. Invalid. Rendered sterile for the purpose as acting as launching point for this show.

Cojawfee posted:

It's pretty easy conclusion to reach, if there is no NCR without Shady Sands (by Beth logic), then there can be no NCR in Nevada, therefor the events of New Vegas didn't happen (E: Assuming you're going off the 2077 2277 date). So it's not an unjust conclusion to make based on Beth's mistake with the timeline here and they're previous retcons (E: I mean in Fallout 3 and 4).

E: Put down 2077 instead of 2277, that's quite the typo.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 18, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
:smuggo:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

If there were fans who were freaking out because they thought the destruction of Shady Sands retconned out the events of New Vegas then they're going to rage post all over Reddit when they find out which of the multiple endings the show decides is the real one next season.

Hasn't the show basically already invalidated a lot of Fallout 4 endings by virtue of the Commonwealth Brotherhood existing?

Not that I care. Picking a canon ending to move the story forward is good.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Back Hack posted:

It's very clear from the context of that episode and the episode before it, and the big arrow pointing to a nuclear explosion on the blackboard, the nuclear explosion is why Shady Sands fell on 2077.

Christ you're loving dense.

NMA or RPGCodex might be more your speed, bud

Nichael posted:

Hasn't the show basically already invalidated a lot of Fallout 4 endings by virtue of the Commonwealth Brotherhood existing?
Not that I care. Picking a canon ending to move the story forward is good.

Yup, having the Prydwen show up has a bunch of implications

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

BrotherJayne posted:

It's very weird that the first episode has the dirigible read "Prydwen" but they went out of their way to say it specifically isn't that ship in the pre-air materials. It's not like it literally being the Prydwen or not even matters as much as the fact that the Brotherhood say they are from the Commonweatlh.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AndyElusive posted:

NV has a particularly rabid fanbase I'm starting to learn from most of the complaints I see about this show. I never played it but I don't think that video game canon lore is so important that you can't take creative liberties.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Doltos posted:

NV has a particularly rabid fanbase I'm starting to learn from most of the complaints I see about this show. I never played it but I don't think that video game canon lore is so important that you can't take creative liberties.

I agree with you but you should ignore the fanbase and play NV because it's a really good Fallout game.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Back Hack posted:

It's very clear from the context of that episode and the episode before it, and the big arrow pointing to a nuclear explosion on the blackboard, the nuclear explosion is why Shady Sands fell on 2077.

You don't understand timelines or flowcharts and that's hilariously sad.

The fall of Shady Sands and the nuke going off are two separate events. (Neither of which happened in 2077. You don't even understand how years work, apparently.)

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Doltos posted:

They've also got to factor in that a majority of the audience (who are essential for the longevity of the show) are not familiar with the games.

Introducing too much too fast can turn people off; they're trying to avoid lengthy exposition and being vague about a lot of things because they want to show and not tell, which has clearly set off the turbo nerds.

The part that tickles me about people getting riled up is that it is still good for the show; it generates talk which results in stuff trending and getting to more eyeballs. More eyeballs, more views, more likely the show gets renewed.

EDIT:[/b] To be fair there is a lot of room for interpretation, but also that drives speculation (so more talk > more buzz > more eyeballs)

Owlbear Camus posted:

I agree with you but you should ignore the fanbase and play NV because it's a really good Fallout game.
I reinstalled and spent six hours slowly modding it back to the state I had it in when I last played (circa 2012?); it crashes like a motherfucker but 'tis nostalgic for me :3:

Rougey fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 18, 2024

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Accipiter posted:

People are idiots.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah, I don't give a gently caress about continuity across games from 25 years and multiple developers but New Vegas is loving dope as hell. I'm already hyping myself up to hear some of those music drops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0ofuXYkYi0

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I asked in another thread but I still don't get the timeline. When did Rose leave? Was she living in "fallen" Shady Sands, because it seemed pretty nice in the flashbacks?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

esquilax posted:

I asked in another thread but I still don't get the timeline. When did Rose leave? Was she living in "fallen" Shady Sands, because it seemed pretty nice in the flashbacks?

Yes, and no. Presumably, those scenes take place around New Vegas, or shortly after, but of course prior to the bomb dropping, after NV.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
We don't have an exact date of when she left, but it needs to be around sometime in 2277. The show mentions that there was a famine that year - which would presumably mean that rose and her kids left around that time. They lived long enough in Shady Sands that lucy has some memories of the place.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

esquilax posted:

They've left it open; but yeah would have been in "Fallen" Shady Sands - with the capitol being relocated there would have been an exodus & population decline - the NCR was also expanding so much that there would have been a drive to colonise newly taken territory.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

BrotherJayne posted:

It means Maxson won/ got repulsed by the Soul Survivor

And now he's returning in triumph to invade what's left of the NCR, which it sounds like the Northern states still exist. "First Capitol" and all.

I think the NCR still have scattered forces in the Shady/ LA region, but the Northern cities are still members.

Losing Hoover Dam and access to Vegas at some point would make the NCR increasingly desperate for electric power, hence Moldaver's whole plan. The NCR from losing the LA region would be crippled, but not out of the game. But Maxson could use a weakened NCR as his excuse to launch a second Brotherhood War on the NCR, and invade in force.

Honestly that makes perfect sense. I REALLY appreciated that this show gave us an old school sympathetic Brotherhood character that grows in Maximus, but pulled no punches in showing what fascist brutal fucks Maxson's Brotherhood of Steel is.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 18, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Cojawfee posted:

There's a lot of history and bad blood in the development of the Fallout games. The first two were extremely influential crpgs of the 90s. Later Bethesda bought the rights to the franchise and declared two of the four existing games non-canon, and made Fallout 3 and 4. They mostly left the first two games alone by having theirs take place on the east coast instead of the west, but it still makes the world feel small when all the most recognizable factions from the West coast just so happened to travel all the way across the country for reasons.

In-between 3 and 4, several of the original developers, now working for Obsidian, made Fallout New Vegas (back on the west coast), and it's got a huge cult following, just like 1 and 2. The writing is considered excellent (it is) and old school Fallout Fans love it. Meanwhile Fallout 3 and 4's writing can best be described as "bethesda quality". Rabid Fallout fans believed, and to some degree still believe, that shady dealings from Bethesda screwed Obsidian out of their bonuses for making the game, just to be cheap, and also out of jealousy because New Vegas was so much better than their games. Everyone involved has consistently said this is not the case and there is no bad blood, but internet gonna internet. Either way it might be a small part of why we never got New Vegas 2 and fans will never forgive that.

So now in the show there's a, in my opinion, very vague and unclear scene that suggestions the NCR was wiped out before the events of New Vegas, when the NCR is a major part of the game, implying that New Vegas never happened and is no longer canon. Considering Bethesda's history with non-canonizing games and being less-than-gentle with the lore, some conclusions were jumped to.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

BrotherJayne posted:

Accipiter posted:

You don't understand timelines or flowcharts and that's hilariously sad.

The fall of Shady Sands and the nuke going off are two separate events.

You caught me, I'm pretty dumb and super dense, I'll coincide the point, but I just need you do one thing for me here, can you point out the date for the explosion since it's separate entry on timeline/flowchart as point out by Accipiter, and not, you know, a not simple picture of a nuclear explosion to emphasize point of the last entry for a...let me check my notes, a children/Special needs classroom.

Accipiter posted:

(Neither of which happened in 2077. You don't even understand how years work, apparently.)

It's a typo.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BrotherJayne posted:

Everyones going on and on about the NCR getting destroyed, but not a single tear shed over the railroad most likely being all killed as well!!! Poor railroad you tried so hard yet you were still so boring and dumb. :(

Although if the institute was wiped out as well, the Railroad naturally would've likely disbanded anyway, as like no more synth left to save and all that.

I forget, did the Brotherhood even bother taking out the minutemen? I'm not even sure they knew they existed. I guess if the player doesn't side with them they pretty much don't.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
People are too attached to franchise/universe thinking. Canon doesn't exist outside of my own head.

In that big board meeting flashback scene, the character referred to as "Freddie boy" is a character from New Vegas backstory diary entries. He doesn't look how I imagined him to look from reading those diary entries in the game. Therefore, the show is not canon. Simple as.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Back Hack posted:

You caught me, I'm pretty dumb and super dense, I'll coincide the point, but I just need you do one thing for me here, can you point out the date for the explosion since it's separate entry on timeline/flowchart as point out by Accipiter, and not, you know, a not simple picture of a nuclear explosion to emphasize point of the last entry for a...let me check my notes, a children/Special needs classroom.

The date is not listed because it's either unknown, or unimportant.

The leap of "logic" you're making which insists that every single item on the chalkboard is an individual event, except the last two items are somehow one single event because... reasons, makes no sense.

Again, that's not how timelines or flowcharts work. One event leads to the next, which leads to the next, which leads to the next.

This genuinely is NOT a difficult concept. If you don't understand this, then yeah, the show is aiming well above your level and you should probably find something else to occupy your time.

Back Hack posted:

It's a typo.

So in addition to everything else, you also don't understand keyboards. "Typo" is short for "typographical error." As in, hitting a key accidentally. You typed 2077 because you intended to type 2077. That's not a typo.

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 18, 2024

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can you explain?

In Ep3, he asks Lucy where the head is and she replies that she lost it. He sees gulper eggs and then asks her 'A gulper got it, huh?' but his accent makes it hard to understand, especially since 'gulper' isn't a thing that's been said in the show yet.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Accipiter posted:

The date is not listed because it's either unknown, or unimportant.

The leap of "logic" you're making which insists that every single item on the chalkboard is an individual event, except the last two items are somehow one single event because... reasons, makes no sense.

Again, that's not how timelines or flowcharts work. One event leads to the next, which leads to the next, which leads to the next.

This genuinely is NOT a difficult concept. If you don't understand this, then yeah, the show is aiming well above your level and you should probably find something else to occupy your time.

So in addition to everything else, you also don't understand keyboards. "Typo" is short for "typographical error." As in, hitting a key accidentally. You typed 2077 because you intended to type 2077. That's not a typo.

Holy poo poo are you for real? How did you get your head that far up there? Can you see your tonsils?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

counterfeitsaint posted:

Holy poo poo are you for real? How did you get your head that far up there? Can you see your tonsils?

lol, pot? Meet kettle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Are we sure the cryotubes aren't like reverse cyrotubes? Where people in the future are getting in them and waking up in the past?

Because that would sure explain a lot.