Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Robox, Boxbot's superior model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
One of those two friends of Parley's that showed up for that one chapter. Maybe both.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

isasphere posted:

Yes, trying to recap:

[very long and meandering recap]

Well...yeah drat when you actually lay it out like that, no wonder I've been struggling to keep up with it, there's a dozen actual plots happening and we're not following any of them.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cavatica posted:

Robox, Boxbot's superior model.
Roblox, in a shocking cross-promotional storyline.

Cue a year-long arc in which Annie and Kat get engrossed in a lovely game featuring Sonic the Hedgehog in an edgy FPS setting.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jenx posted:

Well...yeah drat when you actually lay it out like that, no wonder I've been struggling to keep up with it, there's a dozen actual plots happening and we're not following any of them.
One correction: they wanted to use coyote as the battery for jumping offworld, failed, and went to plan B: use Zimmy as the battery for jumping offworld.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Splicer posted:

One correction: they wanted to use coyote as the battery for jumping offworld, failed, and went to plan B: use Zimmy as the battery for jumping offworld.

Thanks for the correction, I was too lazy to check the archives - I was just going off memory.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh god, what if this person is the original Kat, the one that went insane and created the first Tiktok bird that saved Annie's life, and she's able to enter this timeline because... reasons, and she only attacked Shadow because she blames Shadow for the original Annie's death.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

Randalor posted:

Oh god, what if this person is the original Kat, the one that went insane and created the first Tiktok bird that saved Annie's life, and she's able to enter this timeline because... reasons, and she only attacked Shadow because she blames Shadow for the original Annie's death.

That sounds too cool to happen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hopefully the next page will put us out of our misery but there are very few characters we know about who'd use zimmy's real name

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Betting she'll tell Annie who she is off-screen

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

Weird theory: what if this woman is Omega?

Oh hey this lady is that one secret crazy thing that a lot of the story has revolved around for the longest time!
Cool!

Now we get a multi page segment where Omega just blandly info dumps the entire rest of the story with Annie just standing there awkwardly the whole time.
cool...

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 19, 2024

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Well, that's cool. Pity it won't turn out to matter!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Pseudoscorpion posted:

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty down on the comic (especially going back and comparing to earlier chapters) but this page is dope.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

This page is p. Cool. ...why did she attack Shadow?

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Pseudoscorpion posted:

ABen posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty down on the comic (especially going back and comparing to earlier chapters) but this page is dope.

This is how I feel. Boy do I want to be excited but...

Randalor posted:

This page is p. Cool. ...why did she attack Shadow?

Omnipotence lol

Shout out to TinyMeyers for calling it
Edit: I missed that Catgirl called it

catapede fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 19, 2024

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Remember "I am the seed bismuth"?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i cant believe my 100% unserious post called it

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i cant believe my 100% unserious post called it

It's not that bad of a guess though. It makes sense, Omega is something that's a major part of the plot but hasn't shown up, and we're nearing the end of the comic.

It's just that I don't think anyone was expecting it FROM TOM at this point.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I guess this is probably the best case scenario. Not that introducing a new character this late in the story seems like a particularly good idea, but if it was actually Loup/Jerrick or Zimmy or *shudder* Lana, I'd be really annoyed.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Why has the main behavior of the omniscient determinism machine been “asking annoying questions”? Surely she should have just known already.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Joe Slowboat posted:

Why has the main behavior of the omniscient determinism machine been “asking annoying questions”? Surely she should have just known already.

The omniscient determinism machine is not fully omniscient in this timeline due to kat time travel tiktok annie saving

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

An actually decent twist that makes sense with the evidence that was provided to us. You won this one, Tom.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

Pseudoscorpion posted:

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
The art is super rad at least.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Joe Slowboat posted:

No no see, she knew "just what to ask" lol.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Ohhhh no no no I've had enough of people questioning the behavior of characters stated to be omniscient in the KSBD thread I'm not ready for this to happen again

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
...who is Omega again?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

YggiDee posted:

...who is Omega again?

The person or thing that was supposed to be 100% accurate in predicting events before they happened, and also directly responsible for Annie being born... OH GOD drat IT.

I don't know why, but that Omega's prediction is the thing that directly led to Tony and Surma becoming a couple annoys me. I'm hoping that it's just a happy coincidence and not actually a major plot point in Omega's grand plan... whatever it is.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Wait what? I don't remember that, do you happen to know when that was? Tbh the plot's been sliding off my brain for a while now

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Rat Patrol posted:

Wait what? I don't remember that, do you happen to know when that was? Tbh the plot's been sliding off my brain for a while now

Tony and Surma fell in love because they went on the research trip where they watched bugs in the jungle for a while, reporting on every minor thing that happened. It was implied, though I don't think outright stated, that the trip was testing to see how accurate Omega's predictions were - presumably to see if it could predict some random poo poo like a leaf falling off a tree in some jungle somewhere.

In theory it could also be extrapolated that the "watching mundane stuff in the jungle" part actually didn't matter beyond getting Tony and Surma together to create Annie.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Rat Patrol posted:

Tony's orders have the Omega letter on the envelope. Not 100% them saying "This is all because of Omega" but A) the trip had been planned for awhile according to the start of the chapter and B) Anja's dad died right before it, making Surma the only one able to go with Tony on the trip.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Youremother posted:

Ohhhh no no no I've had enough of people questioning the behavior of characters stated to be omniscient in the KSBD thread I'm not ready for this to happen again

:sickos:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

That's a pretty cool death metal album cover!

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Okay, here's my current theory slash understanding of the situation.

Omega, as we understand it, was a machine built by the court to simulate and know everything. Treated as an ultimate tool to help the Court become gods by manipulating and predicting reality, even etheric parts of it, down to the smallest detail. We see Loup (ugh) and Annie discuss that here.

The Omega Device started to become progressively more inaccurate over time, though the court still relies on it to make decisions to some degree, apparently. This leads to things like Shell saying "Omega said stealing Coyote's power would work but it didn't". We know that the court considers Annie to be the cause of the inaccuracies (and is most likely correct), as Aata stated here. She was supposed to die, but due to Kat's extratemporal meddling, she did not.

It's possible that the Court wants to take Omega with them to the Star Ocean because in the discussion between Loup and Annie, Annie states something along the lines of "what if you could start from scratch in a place where you knew the origin of everything". However, this is before Annie learned the Star Ocean exists, so it's uncertain.

So, imagine you are a machine that was built to be an omnipotent predictive device. You probably have some degree of sentience and feelings about that since all robots in the Court seem to. You become progressively more worthless as your predictions start to fail more and more. It's uncertain whether your creators are even going to take you with them. Then you are thrust into the Ether, where suddenly you can take whatever form you want and see other robots taking bodies and experiencing things you've never had the opportunity to. You'd be excited and happy, looking around in wonder, enjoying the novelty of having a body and being free to live as you like, rather than according to an assigned purpose, and seeing other creations like you doing the same!

And constantly being the one to speak up, to the point that it draws notice. But in the Ether, you still look like a robot, because... you are.

You might also have some kind of enmity towards the people who you perceive as responsible for your creators turning on you and literally rendering your designated life's purpose increasingly worthless. Like the girl who is supposed to be dead in the reality you predicted, and the shadow and robot that were connected to that moment.

Honestly p cute if true and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The flipside of that could be that Omega wanted to be free of the Court, and engineered/manipulated the events that led to the creation of a paradox so it wouldn't be usable any more.

Arrange trip so Surma goes with Tony ->
Tony + Surma = Annie ->
Surma dies, Annie is sent to Court ->
Annie makes friends with Kat ->
Annie dies ->
Kat goes insane ->
Tiktok birds are made->
Kat breaks reality->
Birds sent back in time ->
???

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Tiny Myers posted:

Okay, here's my current theory slash understanding of the situation.
*snip*
Honestly p cute if true and I'm excited to see where it goes.

It feels appropriate to me that a comic having so much about ancient/eldritch beings really just being more enamored with the little daily hiccups and eccentricities of 'normal' life and other people to have the big twist be something along these lines in a way that definitely feels like the last couple chapters have kinda fumbled in ways that have felt like they sucked anything interesting out of possible answers rather than the sort of wanton engagement with the intersection of the mundane and the absurd that so many of my favorite moments in the comic have been about. Like yeah, here's the ancient horrifying superprediction engine, it thinks the world is neat and wants to know everything and it's enamored with it all with a wide-eyed enthusiasm, because why wouldn't it be? It's just felt to me the past few chapters that it's used that angle more as a crutch to get easy answers from complicated problems rather than truly engaging with the idea, so guess we'll see which one this is lol

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This really is supposed to be a big twist huh? It would help it be impactful if omega was more in my mind than "that weird thing people keep mentioning" and we actually had some tangible sense of its power. I'm not really invested in all in omega or what it is, especially compared to many of the characters who have just vanished from the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I'm going to go with the possibly controversial take that Omega should have had Lana's place narratively. Make them the same character.

That way you could have compared and contrasted Loup, who was pretending to be a numan for manipulative reasons, with Omega, who desperately wanted to experience life. (And tying better with the whole robots into new people theme. Add in more aspects of loving being alive, not just romantic love and Robot's religious masochism.)

You could also have done something more with the death of the random numan this way: he could have been Omega's friend, to make his death more important to the audience, and have Omega be horrified at the cessation of existence, to compare and contrast with Coyote wanting to experience death.

Have those opposing views of how important and sacred life is be a point of dissent between Omega and Loup, which would have made their relationship face a real test.

In fact, you could throw in the twist that Lana was Omega the whole time and Jerrek was Loup one after the other.

You can also maintain that twist that Robot told Annie and Kat about Jerrek and they were playing dumb to catch him, but be surprised at Omega because Robot only knew that they were a Court computer program that calculated stuff. She could have been to vast for Robot to understand or whatever so he could have been shocked too.

She could have been a rogue copy of Omega too, and the original remain where it is; to avoid Court's suspicion. You know, to add in with the themes of determination and identity and whatnot.

Heck, have the original Omega wander around now in Zimmyland and have the two Omegas flip out like Annie did when Loup copied her.

...Oh god is it going to turn out that Lana was Omega?